POSTGAME: Rd 19 vs Adelaide

Demonland

McKay of Carlton could be a long shot. The blues list is lobsided so they may decide convert him into picks to address some needs. There hasn’t been a murmur so very unlikely but you never know. His kicking is a lottery but Chocco would sort him out. 

1 hour ago, binman said:

Too right.

How good is it to only have an academic interest in the whole wild card round discussion.

Or have only a passing interest in the draft…

This year an exception of course…

Episode 5 Whatever GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

• Haha 1

On 7/24/2023 at 1:18 PM, YesitwasaWin4theAges said:

You'd have to say @IRW that Simon has mixed things up more than what he did last year to all of our bemusement.

He has improved in all areas of his coaching, but i do agree he is slow to adjusting on field match ups at times.

Fair enough he actually seems to trying to get forward structure working instead of talking about it in presser sound bites.

So a tick for that, but gee it's taken a long time .

20 hours ago, 3183 Dee said:

Yet here we are, two games clear inside the Top 4…

Where did we finish the home and away last season and how did the finals play out?

Better 2 games clear at present than in the pack trying for the 8,I'll give you that

On 7/24/2023 at 11:53 AM, kev martin said:

That all good and likeable. That is why I responded, and being called a clown for theatrics purposes, well! Just an opinion.

When at stoppages for example, we are constantly changing the player who is after the tap. Which one does the opponent hold back?  When the forward line sets up. Who is pushing into the centre, who is swapping positions?

Is the backline going to play high or sit back?

We are even trying to create one on one's in the forward area, as well as open it up. 

The backline has learnt more about creating tempo and switching (still a work in progress).

Players are playing roles all over the field and swapping those roles with each other. We use the bench very well.

We have a subtle game strategy and I say again, we must be a headache to play against.

Apart from coaching, our players must also give the oppo coaches a headache.

Who stops Tracc, how do they run with our wingers, how can they minimise the impact from our backs, how do they stop our desperation, what do they do to clear our foward area and minimise the repeat entries.

We are always on their mind, and if we aren't we hammer them.  Also, some teams learn from us and set themselves to play us.   

OK  

• Thanks 1

On 7/24/2023 at 1:05 PM, beelzebub said:

rubbish....love to see you cop the amount of chops, whacks and attention he gets.... and see how you feel about "Soft" ??  yeahhh....nahhh !!

I suspect/ hope he means he doesn't stand up in a pack..we haven't seen that from a tall forward since TMac was fit and in form ( some time ago)

10 minutes ago, binman said:

Second.

So we are not as good as last year and last year we went out in straight sets.

I think we are better than last year if we get Oliver in the mix with Fritsch forward and Petty plays back with Max behind the ball,but it's naive to think we are in good shape for the last game of the season 

Edited by IRW
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, IRW said:

Where did we finish the home and away last season and how did the finals play out?

Better 2 games clear at present than in the pack trying for the 8,I'll give you that

Last season we were playing well, early in the fixture. We also won away games easier than at home (from recollection). The MCG, just wasn’t suited to the pressure game we were playing. We also smashed teams early, or in at least one of the quarters, and then let them come at us. Held on early in the season, then in later rounds, were run over.

The biggest changes this year, include our capacity to run out the fourth quarter, win on the MCG, use a few styles of play, be flexible in where we position a variety of players, and build the season, as we peak, hopefully towards the Grand.

The finals at The G last year, we couldn't play there and were winding down.

Edited by kev martin
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, IRW said:

I think we are better than last year if we get Oliver in the mix with Fritsch forward and Petty plays back with Max behind the ball,but it's naive to think we are in good shape for the last game of the season 

This is where I’m at too, we’re clearly not better than 2021, this will be our lowest finish of the 3 years and we’ve already dropped 6 games this year with 5 to play (vs 4 and a draw in 2021, and 6 in 2022). Leaking more goals although this could be due to playing a more open style. 

Forward line is still a work in progress (sadly 2 years after Flag). Best 22 with Oliver, Fritsch, Petty back might get us to where we need to be with a fwd line of JVR, Fritsch, Melksham and a Gawndy as the tall.

Problem is we’re not going to be able to line up like that until Fritta is playing which may not be before the first final - not ideal. It may well work but it’s got the air of a heist movie to it where it looks like they’re all going to jail until someone turns up at the last minute and makes the whole thing come together, hopefully Fritta can be our pocket ace or fixer or whatever and we can slip out with the cup.

Some are very confident it’s all going to come together, 40 years of MFCSS has me less confident but buckle up, at least we’ve booked a ticket to the show.

23 hours ago, Tracca said:

To be fair I’d rather petty stay back when he’s fully fit. He’s fantastic there. Id just like to see Tomlinson down forward even if it’s 2 week stint to see how he operates. More just if he has a fwd mindset or goes into defender mode

Sort of agree, but if an AA ruckman needs to go to Casey for a few weeks to "learn forward craft" (which was the initial mantra, though later refuted by Goody) then surely Tommo would need to do a week or so at Casey if he were to be considered a potential forward.   Though I see to recall someone much earlier saying that he played some forward time early in his career.

15 hours ago, Hatchman said:

Possibly unpopular opinion but I think the only player that needs a rest is VIney. 

He has busted his backside for the last few weeks and looked visibily sore in the last quarter. If Jack looks sore he's probably carrying something that any other footballer/human would require a stay in an ICU ward. 

Tomlinson was great in the first half but faded in the last quarter - I'd take Hibberd over him

BBB did great work off the ball all night, I thought he played very well.

Not sure we can afford to "rest" Viney at least until Clarrie returns.  

14 hours ago, Kent said:

Looked at the replay again last night

May was either crook or injured He played the worst game I have watched looked slow and disinterested uninterested

Lever had a poor game also thanks to the other backmen for stepping up.

Grammar police.  Disinterested mean being impartial.  Uninterested is DGAF.

13 hours ago, leave it to deever said:

I'd prefer Smith to Schache. Tommo forward is not such a bad idea. 

Tommo up forward - see above.  Could work though.

Edited by monoccular
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, IRW said:

We were that banged up in finals, that we were going to fall short, regardless. That said, we took it to both Sydney and Brisbane, but were ultimately unable to last the games out.

As Yze mentioned recently, the aim is Top 4 in the H&A season - then you get a chance to “knock on the door” (as his mentor, Al Clarkson said). Whatever happens after that, happens. You just have to give yourself the best chance.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, IRW said:

32 minutes ago, Fromgotowoewodin said:

This is where I’m at too, we’re clearly not better than 2021, this will be our lowest finish of the 3 years and we’ve already dropped 6 games this year with 5 to play (vs 4 and a draw in 2021, and 6 in 2022). Leaking more goals although this could be due to playing a more open style. 

I really find this view point insane.

If all you see in us sitting 4th on the ladder is "we're not as good as last year" or "this will be our lowest finish of the 3 years", what is the point of following the side?

Expecting us to be 1st, or to be better every year (FWIW there are good arguments to be made that we're better this year than last anyway), only sets you up for disappointment. A bar at that level is unreasonably high.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just watching the second half again boy the pace of the game is insane we are a very fit side and when we flex our muscles we are so dominant. Crows kick four and draw level bang bang bang we are 20 in front again. What a game.!!!

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

I really find this view point insane.

If all you see in us sitting 4th on the ladder is "we're not as good as last year" or "this will be our lowest finish of the 3 years", what is the point of following the side?

Expecting us to be 1st, or to be better every year (FWIW there are good arguments to be made that we're better this year than last anyway), only sets you up for disappointment. A bar at that level is unreasonably high.

Thanks for that, feels like being back on old Twitter. Good stuff. 

The forward line is bit and pieces and has been all year. 

I want another flag, to win another flag we’ll need to play better than we currently are. Feel free to disagree, FRO with calling me insane. 

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Fromgotowoewodin said:

I want another flag, to win another flag we’ll need to play better than we currently are. Feel free to disagree, FRO with calling me insane. 

Just to be clear.

Titan_uranus did not say YOU were insane.

Titan_uranus said, and I quote 'I really find this view point insane.'

I trust you understand the difference.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Fromgotowoewodin said:

“Old Twitter”

someone vision GIF

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, binman said:

Just to be clear.

Titan_uranus did not say YOU were insane.

Titan_uranus said, and I quote 'I really find this view point insane.'

I trust you understand the difference.

Is there a meaningful distinction between being insane and holding views that are insane? 

Not that I’m willing to admit that thinking finishing 1st or 2nd is better than finishing 4th is an insane view.

5 minutes ago, rpfc said:

“Old Twitter”

someone vision GIF

Pre-Elon, when there were usable apps for it, less spam and nazis, and more footy chat. The good old days.

• Like 2