POSTGAME: Rd 13 vs Collingwood

Demonland

4 minutes ago, old55 said:

You seem to have enough time for multiple long posts though.

You just don't like what I've got say

Read any of binny's posts lately?  There's some waffle for you haha

7 minutes ago, old55 said:

A1 no. No further shockers though.

Go back and watch the game again ... you had his errors in your head so it wouldn't have mattered how well he played afterwards

I thought he was terrific after a dodgy start

So at least I'm acknowledging the errors ... you won't acknowledge his good play (properly)

There's the difference.  I'm being fair and you aren't being fair

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

No De Goey and Sidebottom impacted the Pies ball movement more than I had predicted.

We managed to win the corridor battle by defensively owning it despite rarely using it ourselves.

The first quarter looked like a train wreck but we slowly ground them in to a contested fight.

We Ross Lyon’ed them to death and the constant point kicking allowed us to neutralise their run and keep the game in tight and in our forward half. Brilliant tactics from Goody and execution from Choco to get the boys to consistently miss goals.

The aerial impact of our rucks and tall forwards might be the Pies only worry. We did a great job stopping Moore taking over the game by throwing big numbers at the aerial contests. 

They’ll get some stars back and get their attacking game going and be far better. We’ll have to do a lot more than just kick straight to beat them again.

Come on mate.

Both Daicos boys are as good as, if not better, than Sidebottom by foot, and Pendles was also turning it over under our pressure and defensive structure.

If we bring what we brought yesterday with goal kicking accuracy, we won't be beaten by Collingwood, no matter who they put on the park.

Edited by A F
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, YesitwasaWin4theAges said:

As good as it would be Kev i reckon he hasn't got that type of mongrel in him like a Viney, May, Hibbo or even young JVR

I think you're right.

Tracc plays his footy in the "right spirit". Just looking at the if's and maybe's.

I would also add Petty and Sparrow to the list. 

Edited by kev martin

10 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

No De Goey and Sidebottom impacted the Pies ball movement more than I had predicted.

We managed to win the corridor battle by defensively owning it despite rarely using it ourselves.

The first quarter looked like a train wreck but we slowly ground them in to a contested fight.

We Ross Lyon’ed them to death and the constant point kicking allowed us to neutralise their run and keep the game in tight and in our forward half. Brilliant tactics from Goody and execution from Choco to get the boys to consistently miss goals.

The aerial impact of our rucks and tall forwards might be the Pies only worry. We did a great job stopping Moore taking over the game by throwing big numbers at the aerial contests. 

They’ll get some stars back and get their attacking game going and be far better. We’ll have to do a lot more than just kick straight to beat them again.

Asterix Omnibus #1: Collects Asterix the Gaul, Asterix and the Golden Sickle, - Picture 1 of 1

• Haha 5

14 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

I honestly cannot tell if people are serious or joking anymore when I read stuff like this. 
I’d like to phone a friend please. 

Edited by Dee Zephyr
  • Like 5
  • Haha 8
  • Clap 1

14 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

One thing I noticed if you hit them they stay down. Lot of teams are going to notice that.

• Like 8
  • Thinking 1

Well Goodwin had a plan and the players executed it well and and it was good to see it was pretty disciplined by the players.

we will never know how many players they had with the flu and they were missing 3 top line players and a one other and we were missing Oliver and Petty but if you can slow their ball movement down which we did, it exposed them a bit, I must admit I was surprised a bit and thought the whole backline worked well and did a good job overall, thought Smith did well and might be an answer to the forward line if they keep going down one side of the ground but can Kossie just stop trying to take mark of the century every time stay down and crumb man.

When Petty comes back in I would drop Spargo unfortunately but it is going to be an interesting few weeks. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, old55 said:

Read this and then explain to me how the current measure of DE% has any credibility 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-06-01/afl-what-makes-a-good-kick-in-2023/102420562

So what is better for hitting targets under pressure, ball retention rate?

Where Gus is concerned I'm not worried about the number of his kicks are threatening or start scoring chains as much as I care about him hitting targets with composure. If ball retention rate is better for this then I wish it was more easily available as a stat. 

26 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

We smashed them in the contest and strangled their ball movement. 

Just take the L

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

The coaches votes, and McRae’s post game conference, tell you the story of the game. We should have won by 5 goals.

You wouldn’t know it watching any media about the game though. I’m ok with it. I say load the pressure of expectation onto them.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, titan_uranus said:

Where did you get this data from @binman?

These figures are published in the Herald Sun for all players for all matches, but given the requirement to manually transcribe them I only post the highest for Melbourne each week. I can provide others on request.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I may be wrong here, but the main reason we stifled Collingwood's ball movement is we condensed our first line of defence in the middle of the ground not our half forward line. So we didn't push our zone up too high and allow them to stream forward with their run and carry. Credit to all our half forwards/wingers, etc.

As a result if they were able to break that first line through dump kicks, the likes of Salem, McVee, Brayshaw and Rivers were there to defend and then counter attack.

I think other teams will use this as a template when they play Collingwood. 

• Like 4
  • Clap 1

33 minutes ago, layzie said:

So what is better for hitting targets under pressure, ball retention rate?

Where Gus is concerned I'm not worried about the number of his kicks are threatening or start scoring chains as much as I care about him hitting targets with composure. If ball retention rate is better for this then I wish it was more easily available as a stat. 

Ball retention is easier said than done

I prefer the instant forgive file thinking.  And it's how a player plays on an overall basis that matters (game to game)

Even the best A grade players make errors and 2 of our best can turn the ball over more than we'd like (Oliver & Petracca)

But overall?  They are both fantastic

• Like 1

I reckon we are timing our run and deep down the boys know they have what it takes.

They will start to lift a cog from here on in as we have the Game plan and the talent to implement it, we will see a new found confidence, and a lift in pressure and work rate to be cherry ripe for finals bar injury.

If Viney stays in this sort of form then watch out the rest of the comp when Clarry comes back in as well.

Kudos to Salem as well , I think we all forget what an important piece of the puzzle he is , and he is looking more dominant each week.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

I've never listened to the Fox Footy podcast before but gee there are some healthy concessions being handed out to Collingwood on it today including a 5 minute segment on how the flu can play a part and even Covid! 

We might have got them at a good time but I think Collingwood got us at a good time too.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, dee-tox said:

Why do supporters even care what ex-players or commentators say? 

Do we need positive affirmation from these fools and take it personally when we don't get it?

Most supporters on here have far greater knowledge of our team than these buffoons. Analysis from the AFL media is atrocious (Jordan Lewis, Daisy Pearce and Montagna being the possible exceptions).

Ignore it, laugh at it, whatever but don't worry about it.

I don't really.

I don't consume footy media at all. Except I mostly listen to Andy, George and Binners, and that's it.

• Like 4

MELBOURNE defender Christian Salem has been fined for striking Collingwood forward Harvey Harrison during the King's Birthday blockbuster.

Salem can accept a $3,000 sanction with an early plea for striking Harrison, with the incident graded as careless conduct, medium impact and body contact.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Clap 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Vomit 1

3 minutes ago, YearOfTheDees said:

MELBOURNE defender Christian Salem has been fined for striking Collingwood forward Harvey Harrison during the King's Birthday blockbuster.

Salem can accept a $3,000 sanction with an early plea for striking Harrison, with the incident graded as careless conduct, medium impact and body contact.

That was an arm swung to tackle. Absolute crock 

• Like 2