• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dee'viator
Final:

Sandy 21.18.144

Scorpions 10.5.65

9 to 1 goal last quarter.

Agree about Newton possible for next week.

Ward's injury is an arm.

VERY SOFT OPPOSITION FROM CASEY SCORPIONS

no Gardiner, pulled up sore.

Newton played a fine game today but I wonder whether the MFC football department think he's ready for the big time. I say that because they chose Colin Garland ahead of him for last night's game.

Sandringham 6.3 8.10 12.14 21.18 (144)

Casey Scorpions 2.2 6.3 9.5 10.5 (65)

GOALS:

Sandringham: Newton 6 Poyas 5 Sautner 4 Ferguson 2 Liddell Buckley Crowe Valenti

Casey Scorpions: Sweeney 3 Rix 2 Silvagni 2 Birss Jones Harrison

BEST:

Sandringham: Gallagher Valenti Newton Warnock Ferguson Poyas

Casey Scorpions: Rix O'Bryan Gwilt Taylor Eddy Harrison

REPORTED PLAYERS:

Sandringham: C. Liddell (Sandringham) for tripping S. Birss (Casey Scorpions) in the 2nd quarter.

Casey Scorpions: Nil

2007 TRUenergy VFL Reserves

Sandringham 4.5 10.8 15.11 21.19 (145)

Casey Scorpions 2.6 6.7 8.11 8.15 (63)

GOALS:

Sandringham: Gilchrist 3 Collyer 3 Gileno 3 Mentiplay 3 Monaghan 2 Martyn 2 Curcio 2 Dean Paule Paterakis

Casey Scorpions: Brown 4 Wood Waite Geary Lees

BEST:

Sandringham: Gilchrist Gribbin Paterakis Paule Collyer Neville

Casey Scorpions: Lentini Geary Brown McGrath Scalzo Howard

REPORTED PLAYERS:

Sandringham: Nil

Casey Scorpions: Nil

The report of Sandringham skipper Chad Liddell for allegedly tripping Shane Birss in the second quarter would have to be one of the most frivolous reports I have ever seen. Liddell was merely attempting to smother the ball (which he did) and any contact with Birss' foot was incidental to the smother.

Newton's stats...9 kicks...1 handball...7 marks... 5 goals...1 behind

Sandy inside 50 72 times to Casey's 38

some other stats for Demon supporters

Buckley..15 kicks...9 handballs...5 marks...1 goal

Hughes...14 kicks...4 handballs...8 marks...1 goal...4 behinds

Ferguson...11 kicks...4 handball....7 marks...2 goals...and a contender for mark of the year on the beach side wing

Great win by Sandy...first game where they really crushed the opposition this year...

GO ZEBS

BLOODT PLEASED to hear that juice played well. He is surely in the mix for next week. A straight swap for garland.

With wards injury, what is the average time spent out of the game with that type of injury?

Zebraman or Beach Road Bazza (or anyone else who went today)... how did Buckley go?

His stats indicate he had a bit of the ball today but I see he wasn't named as one of the best.

I'm really keen for Neale to play him in the seniors. I think with players like McLean and Jones missing, he might just come in handy...

Zebraman or Beach Road Bazza (or anyone else who went today)... how did Buckley go?

His stats indicate he had a bit of the ball today but I see he wasn't named as one of the best.

I'm really keen for Neale to play him in the seniors. I think with players like McLean and Jones missing, he might just come in handy...

Guess it was hard to separate the best today as it was one of those "team efforts" performances...

However Buckley imho was right up there...he runs a lot with the ball...has good hands and is a good kick...

He's certainly ready to play for Melbourne...even if that means losing him at Sandy....

also great to see Guy Rigoni at the game today...

i know he isnt a sandy player but im seeing if raph clarke played for casey , went to school with him and his brother, seems to have rotten luck with injury

No..Raph Clarke didn't play for Casey today...there were quite a few St Kilda players there today and one of the Clarke brothers was there...not sure which one it was

Was just about to ask about that. Is he any good (happy to wait a couple of days for the answer).

We've spoken much about this in the past, and had a number of disagreements.

At the start of the year they were playing Dunn and Juice out of the square, for all of about 90 seconds before Dunn got his face crushed by Bo Nixon. From what I remember either Sauntner was rested or injured. Would there be room for both Sauntner and Juice in there?

DD,

I saw the Sandy game and Newton showed a lot of class and poise against ordinary opposition played up forward. Sautner was a bit scrubby at FF.

He kicked six (3 from tight angles with set shots) and dished one off beautifully to another Sandy player with a good footpass. His kicking style is superb.

Given where MFC's season is at and Neitz is out, I would select Newton at FF this week against Port Adel.

RR, f either neitz or green come back this week would you still promote newton? could you promote him at the expense of garland even if those two came in?

I'd dropped PJ. You dont need White, Clogs and PJ if Neitz is in. Newton for Garland.

GOALS:

Sandringham: Newton 6 Poyas 5 Sautner 4 Ferguson 2 Liddell Buckley Crowe Valenti

You would think with Melbourne screaming for a target up forward that one has to be tried next week. I wasn't at the game and I know the Sandy midfielders would have served them well but a choice between Newton or Ferguson (we know can take a mark and read the play) and Jamar or Johnson should be a no brainer.

im keen for newton to have a few games in the red and blue, but he needs atleast 3 games to adjust as i think its harder for forwards

wouldnt be unhappy if garland stayed instead though

How does your rule apply to Newton and not to Garland?

Garland has been solid at Sandy without demanding selection.

Do you think Garland selection might have been a mental spur for Newton?

If so it worked. Newton has ability and exhibited it today. Did you see it?

IMO he put his hand up for selection this week in a big way.

interesting RR, i discussed that in another thread. but i suggested that with neitz and robbo out that mental spur should have come a couple of weeks ago. the spot was there too take if he had of stood up. now that a couple of blokes younger than him have had a go maybe he will kick on.

of course, there is always the chance he played well due to weaker opposition. a bit like ferg not making it at afl thus far but performing well at sandy.

if he isnt picked this week, hopefully he puts in an equally exciting effort next weekend for sandy. there is no better way to get noticed by selectors than by kicking 6 goal hauls. its the best way of saying see me pick me. much better than a swag of possessions...

Deanox the difference between Ferg and Newton is the way they play. The guys shows alot of talent and class more so than Ferg. Who knows Newton may not ultimately make it. But IMO it wont be lack of ability. With Ferg I know what I get and he is perfect example of the gulf between VFL anf AFL. Very good at VFL level. Just not there at AFL level.

As far as spurs, Newton played in an intraclub match where Robbo and Neitz were present. He melted and played like he did not believe he belonged. There omissions would not have it home. Maybe Garland selection as a first year player who had not set the house on fire may have rung some bells.

Newton looks like a player that can make it at the next level. He is worth the try now. He will lack opportunities when Neitz and Robbo return.

Guest dee'viator
How does your rule apply to Newton and not to Garland?

Garland has been solid at Sandy without demanding selection.

Do you think Garland selection might have been a mental spur for Newton?

If so it worked. Newton has ability and exhibited it today. Did you see it?

IMO he put his hand up for selection this week in a big way.

Yep, I agree but i think he needs a few weeks to consolidate this new 'step up the ladder'...

Guest dee'viator
Deanox the difference between Ferg and Newton is the way they play. The guys shows alot of talent and class more so than Ferg. Who knows Newton may not ultimately make it. But IMO it wont be lack of ability. With Ferg I know what I get and he is perfect example of the gulf between VFL anf AFL. Very good at VFL level. Just not there at AFL level.

As far as spurs, Newton played in an intraclub match where Robbo and Neitz were present. He melted and played like he did not believe he belonged. There omissions would not have it home. Maybe Garland selection as a first year player who had not set the house on fire may have rung some bells.

Newton looks like a player that can make it at the next level. He is worth the try now. He will lack opportunities when Neitz and Robbo return.

I think he can play on a flank or wing like Dunn...

I'd dropped PJ. You dont need White, Clogs and PJ if Neitz is in. Newton for Garland.

I agree with that.

I think Newton would actually benefit from Neita's presence (who doesn't?). It will take a lot of the heat and pressure off him and he'll get to watch first hand one of the better forwards going around. If there is one forward that Newton should model his work ethic on, Neita is it.

The only question is, can we fit Neita, Dunn, Miller and Newton up forward?

newton or ferg?

No contest.... Newton.

The only question is, can we fit Neita, Dunn, Miller and Newton up forward?

Jaded, I think our season is shot. Mathematically we could make the finals but I am buggered if we can do it given the impact of injuries.

I think we need to move into development mode now.

I would play Newton this week without Neitz but I would be prepared to give him 3 to 4 weeks in the MFC seniors (2 without Neitz, 2 with Neitz) Neitz provides plusses and minuses for Newton.

I do not believe another couple of weeks trying to win some of the limelight up forward off Saunter will do much for him.

Given the retarded development program Newton has had so far at MFC, MFC needs to give the guy a go and provide him with some surety of commitment of opportunities.

IMO, Dunn and Miller are fighting for the other spot. And despite Millers best efforts......... :unsure: