Sandringham v Casey Scorpions

Beach Road Bazza

Just got back from Sydney and absolutely rapt to read about Newton.

Well done.

Can someone at the MFC finally please give this kid a break.

Put him in the side this week, irrespective of whether Neita plays.

Newton will be a far better player than Miller will ever be.

Go Juice.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jaded, I think our season is shot. Mathematically we could make the finals but I am buggered if we can do it given the impact of injuries.

I think we need to move into development mode now.

I would play Newton this week without Neitz but I would be prepared to give him 3 to 4 weeks in the MFC seniors (2 without Neitz, 2 with Neitz) Neitz provides plusses and minuses for Newton.

I do not believe another couple of weeks trying to win some of the limelight up forward off Saunter will do much for him.

Given the retarded development program Newton has had so far at MFC, MFC needs to give the guy a go and provide him with some surety of commitment of opportunities.

IMO, Dunn and Miller are fighting for the other spot. And despite Millers best efforts......... :unsure:

I agree with everything you said (except I think that Miller and Dunn are completely different players and Dunn is not developed enough to play CHF in the short term), but weren't you the one who stood firm and said that Newton should not be played as he is not yet ready?

That is a pretty huge backflip you have done over the last 48 hours, and all because we've lost another game and he kicked 6 today??

DD will be mighty happy to hear you say that! :P

Whether RR is a recent conver t to this assessment of our real position or not..I like his assesment going forward...and actually agree with him (sorry mate ) that Miller and Dunn despite Jades correct appraisal that they are different, are essentially competing for the same spot. The difference is simply in the way they go about it. Miller seems ( very ybelatedly ) to be morphing into so sort of all round heavy utility. But with neither the true skills or gumption to be a gun CHF. This possie requires two fundamental., ability to mark up and down and a natural hunger to strike at the goals. He has neither..but works at presenting etc. all nice, but little damage done. He has been more hlpful down back but going alone he will be crucified

I like RR ide of playing with and without Neeta. Hell we might as well find out a few things as this info is the only real win we will garner this year.

a possible sharp end scenario

when fit!!

Juice Neeta Robbo

Sylvia Dunn Yze

Now thats some real firepower....well i like it :-)

quick edit:

for those wondering where Id put Davey.. on the wing or as reboundig HBF

Given where MFC's season is at and Neitz is out, I would select Newton at FF this week against Port Adel.

Excellent. So the last demonland block falls into place.

It's funny though. I would say, going on what I'd seen of him in the 4-6 weeks I watched him, that against the scorpions, with a not-so-strong team and weak defence, Newton's 6 goals would almost be par for the course. He had a crack out of the square against nobody pretty much, with a gun midfield on his side and did what I pretty much expected he would do. So...

Looking at the ins and outs, Bate and Garland being the obvious ones, Green and Neitz are sodas to return assuming they're right to go. That makes Newton's inclusion come at the expense of a tall.

In a perfect world I'd have Jamar out, never to return. But since they won't let poor, fragile, little Whitey play more in the middle, and PJ isn't the ruckman we all hoped he'd be, Jamar will most likely play. That means it's all about PJ going back to Sandy.

Ooooh I don't know. Just like every week so far, the team is going to be rattled around until all our stars return. I hope Juice gets a few weeks to get a feel for it.

RR, thrilled (but not at all surprised) you got to see him get some of the pill, and even more thrilled he did what he can with it. Fun to watch isn't he?

And that's a very good point you make about the fact he probably won't get a go NEARLy as easily when Neita and Robbo come back and are run in...

I hope he gets 4 weeks at the top, the more matches at the G the better.

That is a pretty huge backflip you have done over the last 48 hours, and all because we've lost another game and he kicked 6 today??

:)

Not a huge backflip though, I reckon. I was one of his more out-spoken detractors before I saw him play in the flesh, and it took me only the four quarters to be almost completely converted into a supporter, and fan, of his. I'm not saying he's the perfect player, or that he's not going to have bad days, or even that he's going to be great. What I'm saying is I can't imagine recruiting a young KP forward with a more complete game, talent-wise. From what I saw at Sandy (and I do realise it's only at Sandy) I'd be willing to give him 3 or 4 weeks of below par performances in red and blue just to let him know he's going to be persisted with. I'm ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that in that time he could lift the demons supporters hearts and lift the players' spirits in the space of a single quarter, such is his ability. I hope he gets a go, but I don't dare believe ND will give him a shot for long. I'v been disappointed too mant times.

If ND & co. decided that Garland was a better choice than Newton vs Sydney, should one good performance in a very dominant team alter their thinking enough to swap the two?

Selfishly I'd like to see him play for the Dees so I could have a look at him playing senior footy, but that's beside the point :P

It's a good point Rogue. And to be honest I'm not sure there's an answer to it. But there is a kernel of a fact that could play a part. Garland had shown some ok form, but hadn't set the world on fire. He hasn't even LOOKED like kicking 6 goals in a match, where Newton did and has done it a nuber of times in the pre-season and reserves.

On a personal note, what I hope is that they realise the TYPE of player Juice is. There aren't a whole lot of simlarities between Michael and Colin, at least at this stage, except for safe hands and aerobic capacity. Oh, and perhaps a strong kicking boot.

It's way too early to tell, but I reckon a straight swap for the two would make a fair amount of sense.

Guest baysidedave
You would think with Melbourne screaming for a target up forward that one has to be tried next week. I wasn't at the game and I know the Sandy midfielders would have served them well but a choice between Newton or Ferguson (we know can take a mark and read the play) and Jamar or Johnson should be a no brainer.

Jamar should be the one out, if he isn't dropped this week it will be highly suspicious. He must be doing something to keep getting a game when he is totally CRAP

sorry RR i re read my post ans realised it really didnt make to much sense

i meant that if we drop garland and bring in newton he should get 3 weeks to show his worth, but at the same time i think garland should have also been told here is three weeks go out and play

but i think garland will be dropped

I agree with everything you said (except I think that Miller and Dunn are completely different players and Dunn is not developed enough to play CHF in the short term), but weren't you the one who stood firm and said that Newton should not be played as he is not yet ready?

Jaded,

Idont believe there is a backflip just the recognition of where things are at. It would be a back flip if I actually held my stance given my stated reasons.

I think some major things have changed in the past three weeks:

1. Our injury list has been extended and added too.

2. We are 0 and 5 and have been really uncompetitive in any game.

3. Many of our senior players havwe deteriorated form wise to the extent many should be playing their last year.

4. Some of the younger players are performing at Sandy whereas many who were demended to be selected at around Rd 2 were either not fit or match ready.

In short, we are in development mode this year and if a players is showing at Sandy that they are ready to take the next step then we should be looking to give them a run. Players like Brown and Co have failed and should not be playing for the Zebras and give those players who are resdy to play a run.

FWIW, its one game (a good one) from Newton that I have seen recently but I would like him to have some time both with and without Neita at AFL level. As I said elsewhere he should be given a couple of weeks in the AFL.

Is Weetra injured again?

Unfortunatley, that is the case. Broke his wrist first game up playing for Sandy 2's. Has gone home for a short time and will be back here soon but looks like missing a while.

Another bit of bad luck at the club but particularly bad luck for the kid who's had 2 hamstring injuries and now this. He's a good lad and has a head on his shoulders and I wish him a speedy recovery.

Guest dee'viator
Unfortunatley, that is the case. Broke his wrist first game up playing for Sandy 2's. Has gone home for a short time and will be back here soon but looks like missing a while.

Another bit of bad luck at the club but particularly bad luck for the kid who's had 2 hamstring injuries and now this. He's a good lad and has a head on his shoulders and I wish him a speedy recovery.

Well, if a footballer has to break a major bone, better the wrist than a leg. All being equal he hopefully will recover nicely.

Good luck Isaac.