CHANGES: AFLW Rd 07 vs Brisbane

WERRIDEE

23 minutes ago, Meggs said:

How close is Purcell to a call up?

Very close 20 touches in the 2's. Probably another week away.

• Like 1

• Demonland changed the title to CHANGES: Rd 07 vs Brisbane
3 hours ago, Meggs said:

VFLW report:  "Purcell is building back to AFLW nicely, with 20 disposals, 4 tackles and 3 clearances, a class above."

• Like 1

• Demonland changed the title to CHANGES: AFLW Rd 07 vs Brisbane
On 2/12/2022 at 6:07 PM, Meggs said:

Mick says Olivia Purcell is likely to debut against the reigning premiers and Casey Sheriff one more week with her concussion recovery.  Gay a couple more weeks in rehab with her quad.

@Dees_In_October mentioned that Gillard impressed for Casey maybe a swap for Caris?

@WERRIDEE might you do some revised changes for our Round 7 clash Monday 21 February at Metricon? No rush 😎

On 2/15/2022 at 7:31 PM, Meggs said:

Mick says Olivia Purcell is likely to debut against the reigning premiers and Casey Sheriff one more week with her concussion recovery.  Gay a couple more weeks in rehab with her quad.

@Dees_In_October mentioned that Gillard impressed for Casey maybe a swap for Caris?

@WERRIDEE might you do some revised changes for our Round 7 clash Monday 21 February at Metricon? No rush 😎

Sherriff not ready so Purcell replaces her.

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

On 2/15/2022 at 7:31 PM, Meggs said:

I wouldn't pull the trigger off one game re: Gillard. Should have the chance to build for a bit and then push for selection.

We'll need physicality and clean hands at the contest. So definitely Purcell (although talk about being thrown in the deep end!). Brisbane's speed worries me, but I don't think we've got much to add in that regard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Dees_In_October said:

We'll need physicality and clean hands at the contest. So definitely Purcell (although talk about being thrown in the deep end!). Brisbane's speed worries me, but I don't think we've got much to add in that regard.

Not worried about Liv....after all she won Geelongs B& F and AA selection at 19!...., just 2 years ago.

And don't forget Brisbane played on Thursday night, so they are coming off a 4 day break!!

23 minutes ago, george_on_the_outer said:

And don't forget Brisbane played on Thursday night, so they are coming off a 4 day break!!

I reckon the Lions will have recovered by Monday. I was hoping the Suns would give them a hard game last night but it was just a training run

• Like 1

Meggs sees Maggie is named as first ruck but no Magee and Gillard who impressed @Dees_In_October last week for Casey is not named.  How many emergencies / reserves would they fly to Gold Coast?  

Edited by Meggs
3rd person
  • Like 1

On 2/19/2022 at 12:30 PM, Meggs said:

Meggs sees Maggie is named as first ruck but no Magee and Gillard who impressed @Dees_In_October last week for Casey is not named.  How many emergencies / reserves would they fly to Gold Coast?  

Yep, no Petresvski, Brown, Magee or Gillard for Casey.

Meanwhile, Caris did play for Casey yesterday, so we're either going one ruck or Gillard's getting a go.

Yes BDA, Brisbane tomorrow at Carrara, North at Casey and then Freo at ???.  All huge games and then Carlton in the final round 10 game.

North were awesome today against the Pies.

On team selection this week, not surprised by the outs, Colvin has been quiet all year, Caris needs more game time at Casey and Brown is a good depth player.

But Meggs is most impressed with the talent spotting skills of @Dees_In_October now with T. Gillard debuting this week after his glowing comments last week at Casey after he had nominated the recruiting of the rapidly improving Eliza West 😎

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Meggs said:

On team selection this week, not surprised by the outs, Colvin has been quiet all year, Caris needs more game time at Casey and Brown is a good depth player.

But Meggs is most impressed with the talent spotting skills of @Dees_In_October now with T. Gillard debuting this week after his glowing comments last week at Casey after he had nominated the recruiting of the rapidly improving Eliza West 😎

Colvin has been very solid in her role, she’s just injured.

The question with Gillard is whether they’re really going to throw her in down back, or if they’ll move a midfielder to half back and have her ruck. Or maybe both?

Brown has been decent defensive depth so it’s a fairly big call to go with a teenager out of position over a solid veteran. 

The counter is a lot of teams have gun intercepting tall backs and we could do with one. Birch gets it done with positioning. A genuine tall marking player would be a weapon. 

23 minutes ago, Meggs said:

Colvin has been quiet all year,

When Colvin first came into the team she gave me heart attacks every time she was near the ball. To her credit she she has improved a lot and is now a solid dependable defender. Gillard must be the goods to take her spot in the team.

44 minutes ago, BDA said:

When Colvin first came into the team she gave me heart attacks every time she was near the ball. To her credit she she has improved a lot and is now a solid dependable defender. Gillard must be the goods to take her spot in the team.

Agree.  Love Gaby’s Hibbo style efforts, her one-on-ones and her marking which is really solid.   Didn’t know she was injured so Gillard gets her opportunity early.  Hope she takes her chances.

Our backline is a WIP.  Libby has been great so far this year and agree we need a gun intercepting tall back.  I think some better foot skills would help with transitions.  Emma Kearney, North skipper, has moved down back from the midfield and is having a rippa year taking intercept marks and setting up plays.  They are also a good team to watch.

Edited by Meggs
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Colvin has been very solid in her role, she’s just injured.

The question with Gillard is whether they’re really going to throw her in down back, or if they’ll move a midfielder to half back and have her ruck. Or maybe both?

Brown has been decent defensive depth so it’s a fairly big call to go with a teenager out of position over a solid veteran. 

The counter is a lot of teams have gun intercepting tall backs and we could do with one. Birch gets it done with positioning. A genuine tall marking player would be a weapon. 

That is what Gillard is supposed to be snd is necessary in height for our smallish defenders who  are undersized to some attacks. 
This  is a great move fir the future. 

21 hours ago, Meggs said:

Ha, I can't take the credit there since I also said I doubted she'd be up for a debut off the back of one game!

More than anything, recruits like West give me confidence in our club's ability to continue to recruit some left-field / "free" players who will fill gaps and become contributors in the expansion years - going to be super important. (Also, she not he 😉)

21 hours ago, BDA said:

TBH she still gives me a heart attack every time she disposes of the ball, but her strengths now make up for that!

RE: Gillard. I thought they'd want to give her a few more games at VFLW level to build, but they must be confident. I guess it might have been a toss-up with Brown, and maybe her two games in one day lat week tipped the balance. Regardless of how she goes in her debut, Gillard has heaps to offer in the long-term, so it will be good experience all round.

Good to have Lampard back, too.

• Like 1