COVID & AFL 2021

Demonland

2 hours ago, John Crow Batty said:

If the GF can’t be played in Melbourne without crowds then Optus in Perth would be great. Aside from a selfish POV, it is a great stadium worthy of a GF. Has great atmosphere, state of the art facilities and the playing surface is identical to the MCG. I would only consider attending if we are playing in it. 

Plus imagine if we won the only GF ever played in Perth in front of thousands of WC supporters - that would almost compensate for not being there. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Why isn't Adelaide being considered?  If two Victorian clubs make the GF then it's much easier for Victorians to get to SA.

As for the stadium I've been to both.  Adelaide is, in my opinion, easily the best ground in Australia, I like it more than Optus, MCG and other grounds.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Baghdad Bob said:

Why isn't Adelaide being considered?  If two Victorian clubs make the GF then it's much easier for Victorians to get to SA.

As for the stadium I've been to both.  Adelaide is, in my opinion, easily the best ground in Australia, I like it more than Optus, MCG and other grounds.

100% agree.  It's a great stadium.  The top 4 will be 3 Victorian teams and one SA team - it's highly likely the GF teams will come from that set.  It's reasonable to drive to Adelaide, Covid permitting, and having GFG I would definitely do it.  If it's in Perth I won't be going.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Baghdad Bob said:

Two possible reasons come to mind:

1. SA has a rather bizarre approach to dealing with Covid. Witness today's story about Olympic athletes quarantining twice before being able to get out and about in SA. Or the state's Chief Health Officer concerns about spectators attending matches but avoiding the ball.

2. Dollars.

I suspect number 2, above, is the primary reason. Bluntly, WA government is likely offering the AFL a better financial deal than SA. And given the financial circumstances of the competition, I could understand why that might be attractive to the AFL.

Edited by La Dee-vina Comedia
typos x2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Two possible reasons come to mind:

1. SA has a rather bizarre approach to dealing with Covid. Witness today's story about Olympic athletes quarantining twice before being able to get out and about in SA. Or the state's Chief Health Officer concerns about spectators attending matches but avoiding the ball.

2. Dollars.

I suspect number 2, above, is the primary reason. Bluntly, WA government is likely offering the AFL a better financial deal than SA. And given the financial circumstances of the competition, I could understand why that might be attractive to the AFL.

A third reason might be better hub/quarantine facilities in Perth

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Baghdad Bob said:

100% agreed. And Optus stadium is only 5,000 more capacity than AO.

It's the media that are pushing the Optus Stadium and not giving any love to Adelaide Oval. The media were infatuated with Dream Time in May.

• Like 1

Good to see Pert is sticking up for us and wanting games being played at the MCG.  Having finals interstate with some crowd could mean us playing Port in Adelaide, Lions in QLD or WC in Perth or god forbid, Geelong in mordor.  We have earned the right (so far at least) to play at home and I would not want to lose this advantage. If the stadium is neutral and the MFC agree to it being interstate then I would be fine with playing Port in Perth for example and it would be good for our interstate fans. But we need to give ourselves the best chance of winning. Not just worrying about the AFL getting money.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Stiff Arm said:

Have to agree. I too have a GFG, have for years, back to when it was a running joke in the dim, dark past.

We've waited so long, a GF win in Perth would be great. They could play in Alice and I'd still be over the moon.

Beggars belief the thought of being satisfied with losing a prelim because we can't attend the big dance. Should start up a membership category 'Melbourne-lite' for that cohort!

But got to get there first

Go Dees!

I know you're referring to me with that comment and fair enough.

I said I was  "Quite" comfortable with a potential honorable prelim loss, but certainly not satisfied. There's a difference.

"quite"" Comfortable means that I take into account a pathetic 5 win season, followed by an inconsistent 9th place finish. To go from 15th to 9th to 3rd/4th is s clear tangible improvement and a very good performance, and a great stepping stone in 2022 with our list profile. That's my definition of comfortable, and you'd be a tough critic if you were angry with a solid prelim loss given we're come from.

I'm supremely confident and bullish that we'll be finishing top 2/top 4 next year and right in the mix. So just missing out on a GF this year won't be the end of the world for me like it may be for others.

Satisfied is a different meaning altogether. That in my mind means that I'll spend all summer with a warm and fuzzy feeling that we didn't make yet another grand final. No way.

Confirming that I certainly won't be satisfied/happy/content with a prelim loss.

Being disappointed that I can't attend the grand final, despite having GF guarantees, is fair enough in my book. That's the fundamental purpose and ambition of a keen footballing fan I would've thought - to watch your team live in a grand final as opposed to watching it on TV in lock down 7 or 8. Sometimes it's ok to think of yourself and your own happiness and mental wellbeing on the back of 200 odd days of lockdown.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Pollyanna said:

100% agree.  It's a great stadium.  The top 4 will be 3 Victorian teams and one SA team - it's highly likely the GF teams will come from that set.  It's reasonable to drive to Adelaide, Covid permitting, and having GFG I would definitely do it.  If it's in Perth I won't be going.

I dont think anybody will be driving to Adelaide unfortunately

Still have questions about the vaccine? You should speak to your doctor.

But in the meantime, read this article from fivethirtyeight.com. It provides a lot of answers to the most common questions and links to various sources if you want more detailed answers.

Five thirty-eight is essentially a group of data nerds making all sorts of predictions, best known for US politics, but also covering various sports.

Edited by La Dee-vina Comedia
typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I found the Gary Pert comment of him not worried if we played a grand final with or without crowd in in Melbourne extremely disappointing. 

He cannot be serious?

Playing in a grand final at the MCG with no crowd would be the biggest kick in the guts to all long time suffering supporters who have sat through the darkest of days seeing us getting pumped by 60 points most weeks. The one year we actually look like genuine premiership favourites it simply cannot be played in an empty stadium in Melbourne.  Even Simon Goodwin on Triple M today stated he would rather finals with crowds etc.

If Melbourne doesn't work then Perth simply has to become a genuine option.

Worst case scenario assuming we come out of lockdown with 3 to 4 weeks to go to the GF, why can't those who are fully vaxed be able to attend to about 50% capacity?

I don't get why this isn't even being considered.

About 50% of Vic will be fully vaxed by mid Sept

Edited by Rusty Nails
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Still have questions about the vaccine? You should speak to your doctor.

But in the meantime, read this article from fivetirtyeight.com. It provides a lot of answers to the most common questions and links to various sources if you want more detailed answers.

Five thirty-eight is essentially a group of data nerds making all sorts of predictions, best known for US politics, but also covering various sports.

My favourite us news site.

Their podcasts are terrific

Edited by binman
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rusty Nails said:

Worst case scenario assuming we come out of lockdown with 3 to 4 weeks to go to the GF, why can't those who are fully vaxed be able to attend to about 50% capacity?

The AFL and government have continually shot this thought down because of supply issues.

If Brendan Murphy and the government had of put a bit of urgency on this rather than sit back and deny it was a "race", we may have been in a situation where the fully vaxed across all age segments, not just the over 40's could attend an MCG grand final.

We'll leave our race too late. We'll no doubt be COVID free by mid September, but it will be too late. 

• Thinking 1

25 minutes ago, Rusty Nails said:

i reckon it is being discussed, rusty........just behind closed doors

along with thousands of other permutations......lol

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, I'va Worn Smith said:

How is it that 2 women are permitted to board a flight in Sydney, while still infectious and travel to Melbourne?  Who should have jurisdiction of our airports across Australia?

I was wondering the same thing. How did they “sneak” onto a plane? Who is policing this process? The consequences are huge given they both tested positive having been on a plane for hours with all the other passengers and the crew members. 

3 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

I was wondering the same thing. How did they “sneak” onto a plane? Who is policing this process? The consequences are huge given they both tested positive having been on a plane for hours with all the other passengers and the crew members. 

Airline crew is refusing to check permits. Greedy airlines just wanting to get their money. 
Thank [censored] they were caught at the airport. 
If anyone here lived in NSW, please take no offense when I say to you STAY THE [censored] AWAY FROM VICTORIA!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, I'va Worn Smith said:

How is it that 2 women are permitted to board a flight in Sydney, while still infectious and travel to Melbourne?  Who should have jurisdiction of our airports across Australia?

i thought i heard the vic cho a couple of days ago that legally vic can't enforce vic law in other states

you'd think though they could bring enough pressure on the airlines to ensure they make certain checks.....but maybe not

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

To use an analogy.  If I travelled overseas, without the appropriate visa to travel to that country, the airline which carried me to that destination would be fined.  We have a Commonwealth Department known as the Department of Home Affairs.  Under its auspices, Australian Border Force operates.  Go figure!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jaded said:

Airline crew is refusing to check permits. Greedy airlines just wanting to get their money. 
Thank [censored] they were caught at the airport. 
If anyone here lived in NSW, please take no offense when I say to you STAY THE [censored] AWAY FROM VICTORIA!

I’m in Northern Rivers - we’ve been saying the same to Sydney. We’ve had no cases in months till old mate Goran who had his spouse visa initially rejected came up here. fraud, forger, burglar and all round d1ckhead

https://t.co/lMTrssMiUR?amp=1

• Angry 2

1 minute ago, I'va Worn Smith said:

To use an analogy.  If I travelled overseas, without the appropriate visa to travel to that country, the airline which carried me to that destination would be fined.  We have a Commonwealth Department known as the Department of Home Affairs.  Under its auspices, Australian Border Force operates.  Go figure!!

Correct. When I used to fly to China for work the airline staff at check in in Melbourne would check that I had my visa. 
Why can’t we enforce check in staff in the airports around Australia to check travel permits? Airports aren’t exactly busy right now!

• Like 1