Josh Kelly

dazzledavey36

We traded pick 2 for Tyson and another pick + steak knives each way. We did not trade Kelly for Tyson & Salem in the 2013 draft. The comparison is moot, we may have picked Scharenberg & Freeman a massive loss or we may have picked Bontompelli & Cripps massive win. We will never know. I think both clubs would be happy, particularly not picking Scharenberg, Freeman or Aish.

• Like 5

On 2/7/2017 at 7:42 PM, Skuit said:

I only recall us being linked to Gysberts for the majority of 2010-12, which I was progressively unhappy about at the time as a Demons supporter, and of which eventuality I'm now super-happy about as not a North Melbourne supporter. 

At least we got Pederson out of the trade. 

Rather than pick no. 12,000 like we did for Morton. 

Edited by stevethemanjordan
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, stevethemanjordan said:

At least we got Pederson out of the trade. 

Rather thank pick no. 12,000 like we did for Morton. 

Fair swap

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ManDee said:

We traded pick 2 for Tyson and another pick + steak knives each way. We did not trade Kelly for Tyson & Salem in the 2013 draft. The comparison is moot, we may have picked Scharenberg & Freeman a massive loss or we may have picked Bontompelli & Cripps massive win. We will never know. I think both clubs would be happy, particularly not picking Scharenberg, Freeman or Aish.

I was quite happy the way the deal turned out from the beginning. Tyson was a pick 3 in his draft year so one spot difference in quality there and we get Salem at pick 9 (so 2 top 10 players for the 1 pick). I did hear that year we were looking at Freeman pretty heavily as well so I'm, very glad we ended up with Salem. Hopefully now he has his condition under control he will have a break out year.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Deeztroy said:

I was quite happy the way the deal turned out from the beginning. Tyson was a pick 3 in his draft year so one spot difference in quality there and we get Salem at pick 9 (so 2 top 10 players for the 1 pick). I did hear that year we were looking at Freeman pretty heavily as well so I'm, very glad we ended up with Salem. Hopefully now he has his condition under control he will have a break out year.

I hope he (Salem) does, he is very silky - if he can be version 2.0 of Burgoyne - happy happy days.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, rjay said:

Neeld...

55 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

Obviously Brad Scott wasn't much good for him either.

The kid could play but he wasn't overly confident...apparently Neeld's approach took whatever he had.

Not saying he would have made it with better development, we will never really know that, but he was shot by the time he got to North.

• Like 2

On 2/7/2017 at 0:03 PM, Clint Bizkit said:

If people here could pick one of Kelly, Bontempelli or Cripps, who would you take now?

I'd go with Cripps.

Cripps, every day of the week. Best kid in the league. Favourite non-MFC player. He's got that Ablett or Judd about him. He's practically unstoppable in the clinches.

I hope he goes back to WA. I've already planted the seed in my Carlton mates head and he's already folded and said Cripps is gone. Haha. Hopeless. I think he'll stay at Carlton for the duration of his current contract, but if they continue to stagnate, a big club or WA will come knocking.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, A F said:

Cripps, every day of the week. Best kid in the league. Favourite non-MFC player. He's got that Ablett or Judd about him. He's practically unstoppable in the clinches.

I hope he goes back to WA. I've already planted the seed in my Carlton mates head and he's already folded and said Cripps is gone. Haha. Hopeless. I think he'll stay at Carlton for the duration of his current contract, but if they continue to stagnate, a big club or WA will come knocking.

I don't see a Judd or Ablett in him at all.  Cripps kicking is at times poor and probably a weakness he needs to work on. Both those players had the ability to do the impossible out of nothing and could turn a game instant brilliance.

Cripps to me is another Greg Williams all over again.

41 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I don't see a Judd or Ablett in him at all.  Cripps kicking is at times poor and probably a weakness he needs to work on. Both those players had the ability to do the impossible out of nothing and could turn a game instant brilliance.

Judd wasn't a great kick either, especially for goal, but he would just keep winning clearances. So dod Ablett in his prime. Cripps is the same IMO.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, A F said:

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

37 minutes ago, A F said:

Judd wasn't a great kick either, especially for goal, but he would just keep winning clearances. So dod Ablett in his prime. Cripps is the same IMO.

Cripps is a terrific young player but I wouldn't make a comparison with Judd or Ablett who were both explosive players.

Agree with 'dazzle' that he is more a Williams type.

12 minutes ago, rjay said:

Cripps is a terrific young player but I wouldn't make a comparison with Judd or Ablett who were both explosive players.

Agree that he's certainly not explosive, but he's dominant in the clinches like they were.

Perhaps, I'm too young to remember just how good Williams was, but from my recollection, he didn't dominate clearances like Cripps does. Or like Judd did. Or like Ablett did. But I could be wrong.

11 hours ago, rjay said:

The kid could play but he wasn't overly confident...apparently Neeld's approach took whatever he had.

Not saying he would have made it with better development, we will never really know that, but he was shot by the time he got to North.

I see him as a poor pick.

Slight, not quick and without the tank or build to play inside.

Things that should have been picked up at TAC level.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, A F said:

Agree that he's certainly not explosive, but he's dominant in the clinches like they were.

Perhaps, I'm too young to remember just how good Williams was, but from my recollection, he didn't dominate clearances like Cripps does. Or like Judd did. Or like Ablett did. But I could be wrong.

He seems pretty explosive every time Carlton plays us!

And Williams absolutely dominated clearances, probably more than Judd or Ablett. As an accumulator and expert distributor of the ball. Couldn't run out of sight on a dark night but had the best hands in the business. Possibly ever. Think of him as being like Sam Mitchell, but with dynamic hands rather than feet. He's the player that Oliver is most likely to emulate. 

1 hour ago, A F said:

Both Ablett and Judd were also very explosive on the outside. Cripps aint that at all.

Thats why Judd and Ablett were just the complete package. Speed, explosiveness, ability to win inside and outside ball and kick goals when rested up forward.

Cripps is just a pure inside midfielder who has cleans hands in tight.

My personal opinion is Cripps is so far off the Judd Ablett category its laughable. Judd and Ablett in their top peak were two of the best midfielders i have ever seen in my time watching football.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, rjay said:

hard for me to reconcile williams at 176cm 88kg with cripps at 195cm 90kg - lol

• Like 2

3 hours ago, daisycutter said:

hard for me to reconcile williams at 176cm 88kg with cripps at 195cm 90kg - lol

He (Cripps) certainly doesn't have the explosiveness of Judd or Ablett and despite height differences his game is more the Williams type than the other 2, I guess  that's the point.

Always a problem with comparing players but particularly of different generations.

On 2/7/2017 at 3:56 PM, McQueen said:

By the end of this season, Jayden Hunt will be spoken about more than Josh Kelly when it comes to the 2013 draft.

Biased?

Clearly.

I agree, but I think it might be in a few season's time.  Something tells me that opposition teams will really aim to clamp down on Hunt's running capacity, and it may take a little time for him to make the adjustment.  Last season he was a totally unknown quantity.  He won't have that going for him next year.

I'm happy to be wrong, and I don't necessarily believe he won't impact games like he did last year, just that he won't get a free run at it like he got for us in 2016.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, rjay said:

He (Cripps) certainly doesn't have the explosiveness of Judd or Ablett and despite height differences his game is more the Williams type than the other 2, I guess  that's the point.

Always a problem with comparing players but particularly of different generations.

...and comparing midgets with bigger guys. Both with great h/ball skills and not overly quick.

Bont pls, this bloke is a game turner and winner anywhere on the field for mine

• Like 1

On output Bontempelli is the best of the 3. He's probably got the highest ceiling too due to his size and versatility.

Cripps is already the number 1 clearance player in the league, and ranked 2nd in the AFL for contested possessions. He is unarguably better than Kelly on output thus far. On potential Kelly has the skills to surpass him, but he's still not a proven game changer. Cripps is. Hoping Oliver can become as dominant as Cripps is around the stoppages.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Stretch Johnson said:

I see him as a poor pick.

Slight, not quick and without the tank or build to play inside.

Things that should have been picked up at TAC level.

Ironically, we had really wanted Melksham at pick 11 in that draft, which we used on Gysberts.

Melksham was however drafted at pick 10 by Essendon. At that point, he was being compared to Lenny Hayes.

He had pretty good pedigree as a junior level football player.