Live Draft Pick Trading

Diamond_Jim

Bit of talk about the possibility of introducing live draft pick trading as occurs in some American sports.

Cannot see it being that exciting (common) in our game given that most trading of draft picks are part of existing player trades that occur prior to the draft.

Would be interested to hear the views of others particularly those who are afficianados of the leagues in which it is already used.

There is a video clip on the AFL website discussing the possibility but for some reason I cannot link it.:

My take:

1. The traditional trade period (of 2/3 weeks) would continue. 
  2. On draft night clubs could trade the picks they went in with.   
  3. The AFL are also considering that picks can be traded for a player in the draft  after the player is selected by a club ala Academy players.  The difference being that with Academy players the picks are surrendered whereas with the 'draft pick trading' the picks need to be accepted by the trading club.
  4. Each trade needs to be completed before the next club makes its pick. 

If I've interpreted it correctly this could make for a very long draft night with little time for a club to decide to accept a trade. 

To me it is just more AFL meddling and trying to dazzle up draft night and add some 'excitement'. 

In practice if a club wants a player in the draft, then trade for those picks during the draft period - that is what clubs do and what it is for eg Demons traded up to get Oliver and Weideman. 

I say leave well enough alone!  It ain't broken, so don't fix it!

Edit: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-06-16/live-draft-pick-trading-on-afl-agenda

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 3

is this classically change for the sake of change I wonder ?

Thanks... so if you have say pick 4 you can trade for pick 8 and 26 (with varying combinations from on trades).

Makes some sense but I can't see it being that popular.

The present draft trading is driven by a particular player trade which is sensible because it involves a known entity. The draft picks are speculative in the sense that you cannot be certain who is left.

Trading picks for players a la the Academy players could also include father son selections. Seems contrary to the underlying philosophy of the father son system but who knows.

• Like 1

As an unabashed NFL fan, I reckon this is a great move.

MFC fans only need to look at the Tyson/Salem trade. That whole idea of being able to trade down if you don't think you're getting value at the pick you have can really be win-win very often. The Tsyon/Salem one for us was an easy one to see happen because it was pick #2. It's that early that you don't need to trade in-draft. You've already made your mind up.

I love it because it can give recruiters more control if they're in the mid-range area of a draft. Let's take the 2015 draft for example. We had picks 3 and 7. As it turns out, we did well there since we got Oliver and he's the best in the draft at that stage, but imagine if it played out differently. Let's say we picked Mills and somehow the Swans didn't match our bid. Then you see the boys scrambling through their paperwork stressed out that now they can't get Oliver, who they imagined they'd get all along anyway. We have a massively juicy pick in 7 right there... with Bombers to pick twice and GC once before us. You sit at the table and offer your thoughts. We gotta get this Oliver kid. We know the Bombers will take Parish with one of their picks. The other will be one of Oliver/Kennedy/Francis. Do we think Oliver will slide? What do we want with our next pick... Oliver would be best. Failing that, Wiedeman. What's worst case scenario? Francis? Is that acceptable? At that point Viney pushes the papers off the table grabbing at the phone and hits the Essendon speed-dial. He offers pick 7 and our second round pick in 2016 for their pick 5. We got up two spots only... They get Parish at pick 4 as Viney's discussing things with the Dons war room. The trade's accepted. We slide in and get Oliver. Gold coast bid for Kennedy and end up with Ah Chee, and the dons get what they'd have gone for anyway with Parish and Francis AND get a second rounder to boot. We get back-to-back rising star winners and the best young inside mid in the game at the moment... And all we gave up was the pick that ended up getting us Hibberd.

Personally, I love it. What I'd love to see us do this year with this in mind is approach clubs saying we are wheeling and dealing for 2018 picks. This year's draft is a bit meh... No doubt all clubs will be wise to this. But given we have SO many pieces in place already, we won't be desperate, and therefore will go in with more control over our destiny.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Dappa Dan said:

As an unabashed NFL fan, I reckon this is a great move.

MFC fans only need to look at the Tyson/Salem trade. That whole idea of being able to trade down if you don't think you're getting value at the pick you have can really be win-win very often. The Tsyon/Salem one for us was an easy one to see happen because it was pick #2. It's that early that you don't need to trade in-draft. You've already made your mind up.

I love it because it can give recruiters more control if they're in the mid-range area of a draft. Let's take the 2015 draft for example. We had picks 3 and 7. As it turns out, we did well there since we got Oliver and he's the best in the draft at that stage, but imagine if it played out differently. Let's say we picked Mills and somehow the Swans didn't match our bid. Then you see the boys scrambling through their paperwork stressed out that now they can't get Oliver, who they imagined they'd get all along anyway. We have a massively juicy pick in 7 right there... with Bombers to pick twice and GC once before us. You sit at the table and offer your thoughts. We gotta get this Oliver kid. We know the Bombers will take Parish with one of their picks. The other will be one of Oliver/Kennedy/Francis. Do we think Oliver will slide? What do we want with our next pick... Oliver would be best. Failing that, Wiedeman. What's worst case scenario? Francis? Is that acceptable? At that point Viney pushes the papers off the table grabbing at the phone and hits the Essendon speed-dial. He offers pick 7 and our second round pick in 2016 for their pick 5. We got up two spots only... They get Parish at pick 4 as Viney's discussing things with the Dons war room. The trade's accepted. We slide in and get Oliver. Gold coast bid for Kennedy and end up with Ah Chee, and the dons get what they'd have gone for anyway with Parish and Francis AND get a second rounder to boot. We get back-to-back rising star winners and the best young inside mid in the game at the moment... And all we gave up was the pick that ended up getting us Hibberd.

Personally, I love it. What I'd love to see us do this year with this in mind is approach clubs saying we are wheeling and dealing for 2018 picks. This year's draft is a bit meh... No doubt all clubs will be wise to this. But given we have SO many pieces in place already, we won't be desperate, and therefore will go in with more control over our destiny.

Agreed. I'm a huge NFL and NBA fan and draft nights are exciting and unpredictable because of live trading. 

If a club really likes a player who for some reason falls, you would be amazed how an average pick turns into something of greater value with live trading.

2 hours ago, Adzman said:

Agreed. I'm a huge NFL and NBA fan and draft nights are exciting and unpredictable because of live trading. 

If a club really likes a player who for some reason falls, you would be amazed how an average pick turns into something of greater value with live trading.

Yeah exactly. Somehow, out of 32 teams, the vast majority seem to come out of their draft well. Whether by moving picks around, or by staying still. The fact so many moves are made just means more win win trades happen overall...

Then of course you get an rg3 style trade. Oh man.... I'd love to see that happen.

Wait, so only picks can be traded?  If so, it is pointless and not exciting at all.

Either open it up to full trading including all assets (contracted players and picks) or dont bother.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Petraccattack said:

Wait, so only picks can be traded?  If so, it is pointless and not exciting at all.

Either open it up to full trading including all assets (contracted players and picks) or dont bother.

Today on SEN some guy attached to the AFL was talking about it. Said the picks trading will come in next year, then players and picks if it goes ok.