Lumumba's future?

dazzledavey36

1 hour ago, stuie said:

Either it's not factual and "Scoop" is a scumbag for making it up, OR it is factual and he's a scumbag for running off to tell everyone on radio about it.

Either way....

Agreed. It's sad that most aren't even suprised by this behaviour from "journalists now"

10 minutes ago, stuie said:

There's lots of studies that indicate the effects get much worse as you get older. When you consider that H would have likely had multiple concussions through his career already then I think you're adding 1+1 and getting 3 mate.

Not to mention the documented links between concussion and depression. Whatever the case, all the best to H, can't wait to see him back out on the pitch in the red and blue

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Vandenberger With The Lot said:

Agreed. It's sad that most aren't even suprised by this behaviour from "journalists now"

Not to mention the documented links between concussion and depression. Whatever the case, all the best to H, can't wait to see him back out on the pitch in the red and blue

As I said in my earlier post, H said today that he will be back playing after the bye. Who do we believe, Scoop or Heritier?

• Like 4

Hope he's okay and get back to playing footy.

Personally, I can't envisage him being a vital cog in the team at all moving forward.

Melksham..

White..

9 hours ago, mauriesy said:

Never trust anything a journo like McClure says.

Never trust anything a journo like McClure says.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Je Roos Salem said:

I feel like there's been something personal going on. Heard very little about Lumumba's progress and it didn't seem to be a big ordeal when it occurred. I really hope he's not packing up shop mentally though as he can be really valuable to the team

What info would you like? The club has published articles and injury reports. Concussion is a complicated issue and everyone responds differently. Would you like access to his medical records? Haven't heard much about Salem either, but no conspiracy theories about him is there?

That audio bite made me grumpy. No facts, quotes or anything concrete, just speculation about "personal issues" on top of the concussion, with no actual detail on his concussion recovery.  Apparently also we're putting him on the LTI so we can promote a rookie, however the club isn't aware of that yet and there's no obvious candidate for promotion.

Sports journalism really is in the gutter these days.  

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Nasher said:

That audio bite made me grumpy. No facts, quotes or anything concrete, just speculation about "personal issues" on top of the concussion, with no actual detail on his concussion recovery.  Apparently also we're putting him on the LTI so we can promote a rookie, however the club isn't aware of that yet and there's no obvious candidate for promotion.

Mitch White is a very obvious candidate for promotion....his form is good enough to be playing AFL but can't because he's still a rookie waiting for his chance.

• Like 1

Just now, rjay said:

Mitch White is a very obvious candidate for promotion....his form is good enough to be playing AFL but can't because he's still a rookie waiting for his chance.

Who would make way in our back six for him?  No one springs to mind.

Just now, Nasher said:

Spot on.  

9 hours ago, McQueen said:

Hope he's okay and get back to playing footy.

Personally, I can't envisage him being a vital cog in the team at all moving forward.

Melksham..

White..

How can you name Melksham who hasn't played a game yet with us and coming off a year with no Footy ahead of Heritier?

H showed this year exactly why we recruited him and thought this year was playing his best footy that he has for the MFC.

He still has a very important role to play for us this 2nd half and beyound.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, rjay said:

To replace whom?  

34 minutes ago, Nasher said:

It's pretty clear when you watch him and when you listen to him that McClure has an enormous opinion of himself.  Ridiculously so for someone who has made a career out of rumour mongering

21 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

How can you name Melksham who hasn't played a game yet with us and coming off a year with no Footy ahead of Heritier?

The same way I'd say I prefer Hurley over Tmac (if in the same scenario).

Melksham is a better player than Lumumba in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, McQueen said:

The same way I'd say I prefer Hurley over Tmac (if in the same scenario).

Melksham is a better player than Lumumba in my opinion.

Is he a better player though? Lumumba is a All Australian half back and premiership player who's had a couple of top 5 best and fairest finishes.

48 minutes ago, rjay said:

46 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

Who would make way in our back six for him?  No one springs to mind.

Spot on.  

31 minutes ago, Nasher said:

To replace whom?  

On last weeks form nobody, if Jetta gets an injury/suspension or if we need to rest Hunt/Wagner, if they drop form or get an injury.

At the moment if any of these things happen we can't use White unless there is a long term injury.

55 minutes ago, Nasher said:

So yes...there is an obvious candidate for promotion.

We don't need White, so he won't be promoted.  Therefore I'd not consider him an "obvious candidate".  That's not to say we won't need him at all for the rest of the year, but I don't see it as a no brainer (which is what I'd consider an obvious candidate).

We disagree and move on I think.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nasher said:

I think that is the problem Nasher they are commentators.

Journalists they ain't.

hope he has a speedy recovery. From a football perspective, reckon he was really key for us when he's been playing this year. Provides a defensive capacity that I'm not sure Wags or OMac quite have yet + flexibility to play tall and small. One of those guys that can pull the team through during periods where confidence dips. Best of luck to H.

Edited by pitchfork

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

H showed this year exactly why we recruited him and thought this year was playing his best footy that he has for the MFC.

He still has a very important role to play for us this 2nd half and beyound.

Can't agree.  He has been poor to fair for us since coming from the Pies and a shadow of the player he was.  I think that far from being important to us we've hardly missed him.  He's extremely outside and makes poor decisions.

1 hour ago, Nasher said:

To replace whom?  

Wagner.  I like Wagner but I think when history is written White will be a better player.  Wagner looks great skill wise but makes too many unforced errors.  I've seen White regularly at Casey and his disposal is elite.  With Lumumba and Salem on the sidelines it's a good time to give White some games and this week could be good with the weather conditions suggesting some talls could be dropped.

41 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Is he a better player though? Lumumba is a All Australian half back and premiership player who's had a couple of top 5 best and fairest finishes.

Mark Jamar is an All Australian who had some good B&F finishes.  Like Jamar, Lumumba is well past his prime.  

Anyone who thinks that H's issue is purely concussion is living in fairy land.  I find it amusing that on this thread DL is complaining that there is speculation regarding his situation and on another regarding Salem DL is complaining about the lack of information. Would be interesting to see if the same posters were posting in each.

I can't see Lumumba playing any meaningful role for us going forward.  I reckon we are better without him and we will unquestionably benefit from getting games into Hunt, Wagner and White rather than Lumumba.  

• Like 1

Caught a bit of Talking Footy the other night. Thought Sam McClure complemented Darcy & Duck admirably.

Arrogant, smart a--e, know all.

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Lumumba has gone backwards. Of all the game time he's had in an MFC jumper I reckon at least half of it I've had my heart in my mouth.

Melksham is younger and a more composed footballer.

Lumumba has runs on the board obviously.

1 minute ago, McQueen said:

Lumumba has gone backwards.

Are you talking in general or since he's been at MFC? I thought he was in his best for in the red and blue this year before injury, and if you watch how Hunt and Wagner play it's clear H has been under instruction to play on at all cost.

36 minutes ago, stuie said:

Are you talking in general or since he's been at MFC? I thought he was in his best for in the red and blue this year before injury, and if you watch how Hunt and Wagner play it's clear H has been under instruction to play on at all cost.

Look, he finished 3rd in Collingwoods B&F before he joined us so I'm not doubting his ability as a player. 

Playing on is an obvious part of our game plan off half back and Lumumba is known for his dash.

That said, would you say that H looked more composed and played better than Hunt and Wagner who've played a handful of games each? I thought he struggled to adjust personally and lacked the evasiveness required to play the role well. 

Maybe with a string of games it could be different but I'm not so sure.

1 minute ago, McQueen said:

Look, he finished 3rd in Collingwoods B&F before he joined us so I'm not doubting his ability as a player. 

Playing on is an obvious part of our game plan off half back and Lumumba is known for his dash.

That said, would you say that H looked more composed and played better than Hunt and Wagner who've played a handful of games each? I thought he struggled to adjust personally and lacked the evasiveness required to play the role well. 

Maybe with a string of games it could be different but I'm not so sure.

Actually, I think the likes of Hunt and Wagner, along with guys like Harmes have been the reason H looked a bit better this year. They've really bought in to the play on style and H had players finally willing to run with him and for him. I almost liken it a little bit to a key forward, they can only do so much, some of their success depends on the players around them and how they work with them. I just think H was in the leadership group because he did exactly what Roos asked with the playing on last year and he showed those young backline guys that you have to do what the coach says even if it seems like a sacrifice, because once everyone buys in it all comes together.

I guess the difference is I see Lumumba being able to sustain that for a season whereas just because of the developmental stage Hunt and Wagner are at they might not. But given our game style and their strengths, I think Lumumba is the perfect player for them to be being lead by.

This young brigade are the ones who will ultimately lead us to success, but I see players like Lumumba, Dawes, Cross (when he was still playing) etc as guys we got in almost as onfield coaches, and i think they are all doing a good job in that respect.