Jack Watts' Game

Demonated

34 minutes ago, ILLDieADemon said:

They do say tall players take longer to develop. 

I think everyone on here wants Watts to succeed that's why we are so hard on the bloke. I hope this is the season he arrives as a great Football player.  

But let's face it since he has come to the club we have been rubbish, maybe finally he has the team around him to help him shine as the player he should be.

tall players usually take longer, but effort is visable... Morton wouldn't tackle,  Bennell wouldn't tackle,  Gysberts wouldn't time trial. etc etc,  you know when you have a player who'll chase,  they are giving something.   When a player tackles,  you know they are having a go.   The desire is there to see.  Even if the players not quite ready just yet,  you can see them try.

and you can see when someone doesn't try.  mostly.

Now I see jackW trying,  & doing really well.

Lets hope this continues. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, monoccular said:

He actually looked as if he enjoyed the contested stuff yesterday - first time I have seen that in him.

& thats all we ever wanted to witness from him. 

now we can see/feel the belief for all.

Edited by dee-luded

40 minutes ago, AmDamDemon said:

Just watched replay. The Watts-Hogan bromance. Sensational. 

Good pick up. He & Hogan are developing a great understanding. Jack seems to be able to tell where Jesse's running to.

They were working really hard together in the last qtr to try to get Jack opposed to Davis and Hoges opposed to Marchbank. Davis is strong but nothing else, and we played right into his hands with all the stupid high bombs. But Jack was far too quick & smart for him, dragged him well out of his comfort zone, and absolutely smashed him in the last quarter. While Hogan was far too strong for Marchbank or anyone else, and we were able to isolate him one-on-one, instead of bombing it to a pack.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, kirstenmac said:

He has got it :roos:

He certainly has! In the last few minutes Jonesy was felled after he disposed of the ball and a free should have been awarded further afield. BUT I am glad it didn't happen because we would not have seen JW twist, weave and turn to execute a perfect hand pass to Vanders for the match winning goal. Well done Jack.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, CBDees said:

McCartney's influence is very under-rated with all talk being about Goodwin and the transition from Roos. People overlook the fact that we now have one of the strongest coaching structures in the AFL (and an increasingly strong integration with our VFL-aligned side as we saw at training on Good Friday)!

Nat that can't be right about McCartney.

According to Dog fans, he was the only reason the Dogs missed finals all those years and that Beveridge fixed the mess in 6 months. Apparantley McCartney is afforded no credit for the incredible development of their players and that Beveridge did it all.

• Like 5

People mature at different rates, psychologically and physically. I was looking at Liam Hulett on Friday, and physically the 'kid' is eighteen going on 28. Clayton Oliver at 18 has the psychology of self-belief in his game right out of the box. Jack Watts is different, he's just begun his 'peak years', where physical maturity meets self belief. Given the innate talent he always had, it's a potent combination. The lesson is for all of us who refuse to accept individual variation and idiosyncracy as something to be tolerated, let alone celebrated. The treatment he has had on here over the years, the personal vilification, has been nothing short of embarrassing at times. And this despite the fact that by all accounts Jack loves the club, is loved at the club, and is a bloody good bloke. Any lesser sportsman would be very bitter about the ridiculous scrutiny that's been directed toward him, but he's just sucked it up, tucked it under his arm, and is now delivering it lace out into the waiting arms of Jesse Hogan. Well done, Jack. 

• Like 24

21 hours ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

And about bloody time too. I have often led the charge against Watts and was hoping he was traded last year. Having said that I have always maintained he has elite disposal and reads the play better than most but his reluctance to attack the contest meant that it all counted for nothing. He's had a great pre season and yesterday was a break out game for him in his 7th season. Now compare that to Weitering's game on Thursday night playing in a side that resemble the Demons of years ago. Yesterday is now the minimum standard, yes he'll have the odd bad game but we need more of what we saw in the last qtr. Would love to know what clicked for him, considering this is his 3 year under Roos I'm starting to think maybe McCartney or Goodwin.

stupidest post I've ever read.  The 'compare it to Weitering' bit nothing short of ridiculous.  You are an idiot.  no offense.

• Like 2

Watts was the only useful forward the entire game, played through a corkie, and changed the game in the last.

That is not 'The Minimum Standard' for a role player like Watts.

He will play just as well as that in easier wins because he has help in that forward line and delivering into that forward line. If you are asking him to be the best at both of those areas of a game, then you want him to fail.

Against GWS the icing was the cake but don't ask that to happen often; we have a cake now - it's just out of the oven but it's there - and it's not fair to the icing.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, rpfc said:

Watts was the only useful forward the entire game, played through a corkie, and changed the game in the last.

That is not 'The Minimum Standard' for a role player like Watts.

He will play just as well as that in easier wins because he has help in that forward line and delivering into that forward line. If you are asking him to be the best at both of those areas of a game, then you want him to fail.

Against GWS the icing was the cake but don't ask that to happen often; we have a cake now - it's just out of the oven but it's there - and it's not fair to the icing.

I'm a bit hungry now. 

9 hours ago, AmDamDemon said:

Just watched replay. The Watts-Hogan bromance. Sensational. 

During the push and shove before the bounce I commented to one of my mates that Watts looked a lot more up and about and aggressive knowing he had Hogan there who would be doing the same and backing him up. Having the presence of Hogan there alongside him has undoubtedly lifted his confidence and taken that main pressure focus off him, and Hogan absolutely benefits as well when you see the smile on his face having Watts kicking it to him on the lead.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Undeeterred said:

Sure, but you also take every opportunity to sink the boots in when the opportunity arises, then cloak it in the pretense that you've always thought he was amazing.

You're not the only one, don't get me wrong.

You must have me confused with someone else. Yes I have given Watts a pasting over the year as I have Grimes. But have not suddenly fallen for him, I have maintained the same stance all along.

FOR THE RECORD :

WATTS HAD ELITE DISPOSAL AND FOOTY SMARTS WELL BEFORE ROOS SHOWED UP.

IT ALSO HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE OTHER PLAYERS AROUND HIM.

HE HAS HAD AN ADULT BODY FOR A COUPLE OF SEASONS NOW.

HIS CHANGE OF FORM IS PURELY BECAUSE JACK HAS DECIDED TO IMPOSE HIM ON THE CONTEST AND ATTACK THE FOOTY. 

SKILLS AND FOOTY SMARTS HAVE NEVER BEEN AN ISSUE. 

HIS MENTAL APPLICATION HAS BEEN.

AFTER SATURDAYS GAME JACK IS NOW ARMED WITH THE KNOWLEDGE THAT HE CAN INFLUENCE THE OUTCOME OF A GAME ALL BY HIMSELF, SOMETHING HE'S BEEN ABLE TO DO FOR YEARS.

That's my take, it hasn't changed, it won't change, it's how it's always been. 

Back to my multis....

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, jumbo returns said:

Na, not BA....he's a Dee through and through.

I'm genuinely bloody stoked for him Jumbo, he's only 25 and has been relatively injury free. Five more years of that and lookout. 

Edited by Bombay Airconditioning
  • Like 2