The Kalani White Thread

olisik

On 20/05/2024 at 13:47, Jeremy said:

Is he actually any good? Like genuine question, are we talking a lock for first round this stage? Fair bit of water to pass under the bridge yet 

Shifter Sheehan has him in contention for next year’s pick 1 in today’s Herald Sun. 

“Kalani White is a player who could quickly spike, with the 198cm tall already having shown great signs at both ends of the ground. 

White is a father-son prospect for Melbourne next year — where his father Jeff played 236 AFL games — but is also a member of the Gold Coast Suns Academy given the family is now living in Queensland.”

“A tall defender, White also showed that he can go forward in the under-16 championships last year and excited with his athleticism and outstanding overhead marking. He has a supernatural leap and the size to win the contest or bring the ball to ground to the benefit of his team. During the under-16 championships last year he was rarely beaten one-on-one and averaged 7.3 disposals and 2.3 marks playing predominately deep in defence to win All-Australian honours. He has taken another step at under-18 level with the Suns, looking composed with his ball use and decision making down back and averaging 10 disposals and five marks from his first six matches. He is the son of former No.1 draft pick and Melbourne ruckman Jeff White, making him eligible both as a father-son for the Demons and as an Academy player for the Suns in 2025”.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

50 minutes ago, buck_nekkid said:

We can f-s inside top 20, can GC match or pre list academy players?  It depends on the rules if we are in front or behind on this one

It’s purely Kalani’s choice. One doesn’t outrank the other.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Swooper Northey said:

Max is a brilliant clubman and leader who I'm sure would love to see Kalani at Melbourne, but with a wife and two babies I don't think we should expect him to run a boarding house for potential recruits. There's plenty of good Melbourne people who would could take Kalani under their wing in the hope he will thrive in the red and blue.

Of course, this is most probably spot on. Max has enough on his plate - I think we all agree on this - but it does give rise to enabling some form of further bonding and stakeholder association between Kalani and the Mighty Dees, almost in concrete. It would be wonderful if a good Melbourne family took up the cudgel, wouldn't it?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Swooper Northey said:

Max is a brilliant clubman and leader who I'm sure would love to see Kalani at Melbourne, but with a wife and two babies I don't think we should expect him to run a boarding house for potential recruits. There's plenty of good Melbourne people who would could take Kalani under their wing in the hope he will thrive in the red and blue.

Petracca 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deemania since 56 said:

Of course, this is most probably spot on. Max has enough on his plate - I think we all agree on this - but it does give rise to enabling some form of further bonding and stakeholder association between Kalani and the Mighty Dees, almost in concrete. It would be wonderful if a good Melbourne family took up the cudgel, wouldn't it?

Brayshaws 👍

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

24 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

Brayshaws 👍

My second choice, too!

• Like 1

Honestly, I know many of us , including myself, overreact in certain situations but if we get stiffed on this one it will be the final straw. All I hear is how wonderful the father/ son rule and how important it is for junior to follow in his dad's footsteps.  Most media pundits think it's essential to the fabric of our game. I wouldn't blame Kalani at all for staying at home but that is not the essence of the situation. AFL and media can't have it both ways.If they truly believe in the sanctity of F/S then White should be made to play for us. Can you imagine the outcry if the Daicos boys were in the same position? Having said all that I'll put a lot of money on Kalani ending up at the Suns. It is an absolute farce.

• Facepalm 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Deelectable said:

Honestly, I know many of us , including myself, overreact in certain situations but if we get stiffed on this one it will be the final straw. All I hear is how wonderful the father/ son rule and how important it is for junior to follow in his dad's footsteps.  Most media pundits think it's essential to the fabric of our game. I wouldn't blame Kalani at all for staying at home but that is not the essence of the situation. AFL and media can't have it both ways.If they truly believe in the sanctity of F/S then White should be made to play for us. Can you imagine the outcry if the Daicos boys were in the same position? Having said all that I'll put a lot of money on Kalani ending up at the Suns. It is an absolute farce.

It's happened before with Nick Blakey. Was eligible under father-son for Brisbane or North Melbourne, but chose to go to the Swans because he was part of their academy, and that was where he lived/grew up. 

If it happens, and we end up having lost Mac Andrew (due to changes in NGA) and Kalani White, I agree, it will be tough to swallow. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, wheaters31 said:

It's happened before with Nick Blakey. Was eligible under father-son for Brisbane or North Melbourne, but chose to go to the Swans because he was part of their academy, and that was where he lived/grew up. 

If it happens, and we end up having lost Mac Andrew (due to changes in NGA) and Kalani White, I agree, it will be tough to swallow. 

The Nick Blakey situation was scandalous. His father was a 300 game player but in the end it counted for nothing. 'Hard to swallow'. Yes, but I would take it a step further. This competition is already so compromised it's beyond a joke. Wouldn't know where to begin. To lose Andrew and then, even worse White, for me would make the AFL nigh on impossible to follow. 

• Like 2

On 20/03/2024 at 14:19, Bay Riffin said:

Seriously? They have sooo much talent even from a host of first rounders this year, the under 16 national team is peppered with elite talent tied to the gold coast, so they will get yet another massive draft haul in a year or two. seriously how much can they get? 

It isn't right. I remember Blakey had two teams he could go (North and Lions?) as F/S to but the swans somehow end up with an elite player. My goodness. 

Gettable is the AFL's own patented version of draft tampering. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Demonstone said:

I'll take that bet.  How much are you willing to put on it?

Everything I have. $10. Seriously,  you have some inside intel? Other than being a lifelong Melbourne supporter why wouldn't he go to the Suns? Weather, lifestyle,  familiarity with players, no need to uproot and the fact that the Suns are on the rise whereas we could be going the other way. This is not to be read as justification for his decision.  It shouldn't be in his hands.  FWIW I sincerely hope you're correct.

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

15 minutes ago, Deelectable said:

Other than being a lifelong Melbourne supporter why wouldn't he go to the Suns?

Playing at the G in front of big crowds every week, learning from some of the best players in the competition, playing for the club his dad played for where he’s formed long standing relationships with Goodwin and the players, playing for a foundation club that’s right in the mix as one of the better sides in the competition… should I go on? 

• Like 4
  • Clap 1

8 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

Playing at the G in front of big crowds every week, learning from some of the best players in the competition, playing for the club his dad played for where he’s formed long standing relationships with Goodwin and the players, playing for a foundation club that’s right in the mix as one of the better sides in the competition… should I go on? 

not to mention the fact that his twin brothers will, if they're also talented, likely join him at the dees in future years

i note with interest that jeff says those boys have elected NOT to join the gc17 academy

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

If he chooses to stay in Queensland as a personal preference, fair enough. But if he is swayed by some sort of outside cap sweeteners that would be highly aggravating.

Either we need to make sure the AFL auditors are all over it, or get involved in the same game and not play by the strict rules as is our style if they choose to turn a blind eye.

I recall we were once paying for the university fees of a player's girlfriend? With sponsorship ties, etc. there are so many ways to work around the cap. We should call in PwC. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

Playing at the G tick, decent crowds tick.  The rest? Relationships already formed at the Suns. They will very soon be in the mix to be a very good team. By the time Kalani reaches anywhere near his potential Max  May, Viney and others will be gone. Anyway, this is not the point. There should be no choice. Either scrap F/S or make it sacrosanct. 

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

1 hour ago, Deelectable said:

It shouldn't be in his hands.

27 minutes ago, Deelectable said:

There should be no choice.

Play for your old man's club kid, or you don't get to play at all.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, Deelectable said:

They will very soon be in the mix to be a very good team. By the time Kalani reaches anywhere near his potential Max  May, Viney and others will be gone. 

Will the Gold Coast ever be a good team? I feel like I’ve been waiting 20 years and 709 first round picks for that to happen 🙄

Kalani will join us next year so unless you know something we don’t, I think he will definitely still have Max, May and Viney around. 

• Like 3

Just now, Jaded No More said:

Will the Gold Coast ever be a good team? I feel like I’ve been waiting 20 years and 709 first round picks for that to happen 🙄

Kalani will join us next year so unless you know something we don’t, I think he will definitely still have Max, May and Viney around. 

He will have Max and May around for a couple of years but at 200cm is unlikely to be developed. So you're 100% White will join us next year? You know this how? Again, not the point. This should be a non issue.