Sam Frost

Redlegs Too

Frost will be good for us down back long term. He's strong, quick and aggressive. He'll pair beautifully with T-mac as our two key defenders. He provides good run too, showed it a few times already in red and blue before getting injured. 

He is not a forward though. Play him key defender.

4 minutes ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

I'm aware that Garland just signed for three years but I'm not sure how we fit them all in. My back six would be

JETTA FROST DUNN

SALEM TMAC MELKSHAM

To me Garland is depth.

Garland is more than depth, I'd swap Dunn for Garland in your list. Dunn can play forward.

• Like 2

Frost has shown freakish athletic ability and thats all so far, as impresive as his pace is, his footballing smarts are still a somewhat unknown quantity.

To have him ahead of either Garland or Dunn in the backline is illogical. He's competing with the likes of Lumumba and Melksham as a rebounding defender,

or Dawes/Pedo as a roaming forward/ruck...

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, DemonDave said:

Frost has shown freakish athletic ability and thats all so far, as impresive as his pace is, his footballing smarts are still a somewhat unknown quantity.

To have him ahead of either Garland or Dunn in the backline is illogical. He's competing with the likes of Lumumba and Melksham as a rebounding defender,

or Dawes/Pedo as a roaming forward/ruck...

I would've thought that he'd be a lockdown FB

1 hour ago, ManDee said:

Garland is more than depth, I'd swap Dunn for Garland in your list. Dunn can play forward.

We have players that can play both forward and back but it's about balance. Look at how easily the Bulldogs carved us up last year. Where does Watts play then?

10 hours ago, deanox said:

They're was even a photo of her in that post...Pretty simple really. 

Interestingly we will field a very different team next year if Frost,  Trengove, Petracca and Salem all get on the park, not to mention Melksham and Bugg. That's over one quarter of the starting 22 as fresh faces. 

And Kent.. 

10 hours ago, Lord Travis said:

Frost will be good for us down back long term. He's strong, quick and aggressive. He'll pair beautifully with T-mac as our two key defenders. He provides good run too, showed it a few times already in red and blue before getting injured. 

He is not a forward though. Play him key defender.

The problem with Frost and McDonald in the same backline is you then have 2 players whose kicking skills, footy smarts and intercept marking aren't all that flash. 

I think it can work if surrounded by 4 medium/small defenders with good skills and smarts, but we might not have that. Dunn as the 2nd tall and Garland the 3rd tall might be better short term options and Oscar Mc and Hulett might be developed as key defenders as well.

He's certainly not a forward but does provide a potential short term option as a second ruck and then can mainly be used for his defensive skills when forward. Versatility ruins consistency but he could swap with Dunn or McDonald who then go forward in games. 

I like Frost, but until he starts playing regularly again I see him more as depth and a utility than a long term solution down back. He's yet to show he's more than just a good athlete.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CatFishPig said:

And Kent.. 

Yep missed him. 7 different,  one third of the team. 

It's amazing,  I felt like this off season we didn't have any big gains but I think we have quietly upgrade the bottom quarter of our list to add depth and will see a very different melbourne on field make up next year despite seemingly little change. 

• Like 1

i don't think he stubbed his toe; more like a boot stop being worn by a 100kg opponent landed on his toe squashing it nearly flat.  I read somewhere that the sight of it afterwards was enough to make grown men lose their lunch.  It sounded similar to what Aaron Sandilands had a few years back.

9 hours ago, Georgiou R.R. Martin said:

The problem with Frost and McDonald in the same backline is you then have 2 players whose kicking skills, footy smarts and intercept marking aren't all that flash. 

I think it can work if surrounded by 4 medium/small defenders with good skills and smarts, but we might not have that. Dunn as the 2nd tall and Garland the 3rd tall might be better short term options and Oscar Mc and Hulett might be developed as key defenders as well.

He's certainly not a forward but does provide a potential short term option as a second ruck and then can mainly be used for his defensive skills when forward. Versatility ruins consistency but he could swap with Dunn or McDonald who then go forward in games. 

I like Frost, but until he starts playing regularly again I see him more as depth and a utility than a long term solution down back. He's yet to show he's more than just a good athlete.

9 hours ago, Georgiou R.R. Martin said:

10 hours ago, Georgiou R.R. Martin said:

I've missed something, which one of Lake and Frawley has elite disposal? As you have alluded to you surround them with quality users of the footy.  Sadly for Jack Grimes his career is over, if we honestly hold out any hope of playing finals it won't be on the back of players like him. Based purely of footballing ability he is not up to it. Enter Salem and Melksham on opposite back flanks, not one but two players who can use the footy coming out of defensive 50. TMac's disposal has improved but it isn't elite, but it's serviceable for the role he plays. You criticise Frosts disposal but how much have you honestly seen of him? I rate Tmacs footy smarts, intercept marking and ability to spoil the ball, if he's so ordinary in so many areas of the game what aspects of his game were so many people raving about during the first half of last season? I will be honest, I haven't seen a lot of Frost myself but I remember watching his highlight package numerous times when we drafted him, based on that alone I would take him over what Garland has served up in recent years.

19 hours ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

We have players that can play both forward and back but it's about balance. Look at how easily the Bulldogs carved us up last year. Where does Watts play then?

In my dreams he becomes Nat Fyfe and plays anywhere he bloody likes.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

I've missed something, which one of Lake and Frawley has elite disposal? As you have alluded to you surround them with quality users of the footy.  Sadly for Jack Grimes his career is over, if we honestly hold out any hope of playing finals it won't be on the back of players like him. Based purely of footballing ability he is not up to it. Enter Salem and Melksham on opposite back flanks, not one but two players who can use the footy coming out of defensive 50. TMac's disposal has improved but it isn't elite, but it's serviceable for the role he plays. You criticise Frosts disposal but how much have you honestly seen of him? I rate Tmacs footy smarts, intercept marking and ability to spoil the ball, if he's so ordinary in so many areas of the game what aspects of his game were so many people raving about during the first half of last season? I will be honest, I haven't seen a lot of Frost myself but I remember watching his highlight package numerous times when we drafted him, based on that alone I would take him over what Garland has served up in recent years.

That would be Lake. Maybe not elite but he rarely turned it over at the Hawks and there were suggestions at times that Lake and Frawley shouldn't play in the same side. Salem and Melksham might be 2 but we need multiple options. Jetta is solid but doesn't get involved in rebounding enough. Doesn't exactly add up to Gibson, Birchall, Duryea, Hodge, Burgoyne.

I've seen Frost at training a few times and in a handful of games for GWS, that's enough to know he's not a great kick or decision maker. Only need to watch his highlights to see he's not fluent by foot.

McDonald's intercept marking was strong at the start of the year, plus his defending, run and his ball use was solid for patches. Once he lost confidence in his defending the other aspects of his game started to suffer as well. His disposal has improved but watching him with the ball is still heart in mouth stuff. 

I'd be reluctant to add another similar type is all I'm saying. If Garland doesn't improve then he'll be replaced, but if he improves his worse games and think he'll keep his spot over Frost.

4 hours ago, Georgiou R.R. Martin said:

That would be Lake. Maybe not elite but he rarely turned it over at the Hawks and there were suggestions at times that Lake and Frawley shouldn't play in the same side. Salem and Melksham might be 2 but we need multiple options. Jetta is solid but doesn't get involved in rebounding enough. Doesn't exactly add up to Gibson, Birchall, Duryea, Hodge, Burgoyne.

I've seen Frost at training a few times and in a handful of games for GWS, that's enough to know he's not a great kick or decision maker. Only need to watch his highlights to see he's not fluent by foot.

McDonald's intercept marking was strong at the start of the year, plus his defending, run and his ball use was solid for patches. Once he lost confidence in his defending the other aspects of his game started to suffer as well. His disposal has improved but watching him with the ball is still heart in mouth stuff. 

I'd be reluctant to add another similar type is all I'm saying. If Garland doesn't improve then he'll be replaced, but if he improves his worse games and think he'll keep his spot over Frost.

The Frawley/Lake combo is an interesting one, maybe for some games one would suffice but against the Eagles they needed both. If anything both TMac and Frost are under 23 and are mobile.

When you get a chance have a look at my last post in the contracts thread as to how I think our team should line up.

40 minutes ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

The Frawley/Lake combo is an interesting one, maybe for some games one would suffice but against the Eagles they needed both. If anything both TMac and Frost are under 23 and are mobile.

When you get a chance have a look at my last post in the contracts thread as to how I think our team should line up.

Yep good post, although I think there's room for a shut down small/mid defender. Stratton is an important player for the Hawks in that regard and so is Duryea. 

Fair call about Frost being under 23, I think that's a key part of my thinking, he's still got lots of development in him, I just see him more as a project type who is coming off missing pretty much a year of footy than a lock for a spot in the 22.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Georgiou R.R. Martin said:

Yep good post, although I think there's room for a shut down small/mid defender. Stratton is an important player for the Hawks in that regard and so is Duryea. 

Fair call about Frost being under 23, I think that's a key part of my thinking, he's still got lots of development in him, I just see him more as a project type who is coming off missing pretty much a year of footy than a lock for a spot in the 22.

Maybe Hulett can be a parallel project to ensure that we maintain strong depth 

I don't see Frost as a project, just an upcoming lad who was injured.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, beelzebub said:

I don't see Frost as a project, just an upcoming lad who was injured.

well give it any label you like, bub, but he is yet to establish himself as a regular player let alone a good player

i'll invoke an od'ism and say i'll wait until he has played half a season.......though i am optimistic

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

well give it any label you like, bub, but he is yet to establish himself as a regular player let alone a good player

i'll invoke an od'ism and say i'll wait until he has played half a season.......though i am optimistic

I understand DC but for his injury I have no doubt he would have played the whole season. He's already a player. Hullett is just a draftee. Quite a different thing for mine.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

It's a regular theme amongst Demonlanders that players who are out injured are 50% better than when they were on the field. 

From the small sample size we saw of Frost, he's an athlete who'll never be a key forward. He has potential to become a key back, but at this stage he's a poor man's T Mac. We won't win many games with a backline consisting of Frost, T. Mac, Dunn and Garland.