The Frawley Factor

pitmaster

I still can't believe the AFL hasn't found us guilty of bringing the game into disrepute - the fact we received a #3 draft pick for this spud is tantamount to theft. Cannot wait to watch JK tear him apart (again) in the GF.

On the bright side, at least now nobody can try to give us cr4p about being overcompensated.

Even as Brayshaw goes on to be an instrumental part of our rebuild and rise to finals, all that anyone can say will be 'gee, Melbourne drafted well',

Frawley was great, but he will never be as important to Hawthorn as Brayshaw will be to us.

Win win win for everyone. Except the Eagles, and who really cares about them?

I started this thread because Frawley looked like such a bust for the Hawks but I must admit the past three weeks he has played a role.

He has not been great. He has been aided by a dominant midfield and by other defenders, but he has done a job.

Today, I watched him pretty closely and I thought he was shown up by Lake who was much more effective, but the stats and the experts looking at Kennedy's output will say he did his job, so I guess what that means for us is the big clubs will continue to treat clubs like ours as feeder clubs to fill up their deficiencies.

If that's what free agency means then I will surprise myself and give up on this game.

I hope we can improve enough with the young talent we have to get out of this mire. As for Frawley, I don't believe for one second that what he's feeling tonight would be half as good as the emotions felt by hundreds of players who stuck through thick and thin and then enjoyed success. So James, enjoy your MacMedal, but that's all it is.

Edited by pitmaster
  • Like 5

I started this thread because Frawley looked like such a bust for the Hawks but I must admit the past three weeks he has played a role.

He has not been great. He has been aided by a dominant midfield and by other defenders, but he has done a job.

Today, I watched him pretty closely and I thought he was shown up by Lake who was much more effective, but the stats and the experts looking at Kennedy's output will say he did his job, so I guess what that means for us is the big clubs will continue to treat clubs like ours as feeder clubs to fill up their deficiencies.

If that's what free agency means then I will surprise myself and give up on this game

I hope we can improve enough with the young talent we have to get out of this mire. As for Frawley, I don't believe for one second that what he's feeling tonight would be half as good as the emotions felt by hundreds of

players who stuck through thick and thin and then enjoyed success. So James, enjoy your MacMedal, but that's all it is.

For heavens sake, he was fantastic! I thought he was a great contribution for the Dees alsi

There are eighteen teams in the competition who would prefer Brayshaw over Frawley, why are people still complaining about free agency?

I think you might have a different view if compensation is removed from the FA process.

In one sense I agree it may be a lesser feeling to win one at a second club than it would be to win one with a club you stuck with. On the other hand, I am quite sure it is a better feeling and legacy to win one vs never play a final. One in the hand vs two in the bush....

I think that the Lake, Frawley experiments are actually going to make their mates think more favourably about leaving. Frawley would be telling them how amazing it is winning a premiership, how professional Hawthorn is, etc....

I do agree that the compensation for Frawley made it a win-win, but a win-win is a win for them as well as us! I am not sure that pick 13 for Danger is as good an outcome for Adelaide!

There are eighteen teams in the competition who would prefer Brayshaw over Frawley, why are people still complaining about free agency?

I reckon West Coast could have done with a Frawley today over Brayshaw..

• Like 1

Has there been a more over hyped and over rated player for some whiles than this ol' Chip !!

I think he can consider himself most fortunate to have been around at t time the Sqawkers were looking for just such a second fiddle.

Im not bitter.. I only ever thought he had a couple of decent years and it seemed to me was playing out of his skin a bit.

Judging by some rather crude digs at his former club he has some tickets on himself.

Roos is no bunny and could read exactly what this bloke was up to. Untimately he did give back to this club. Brayshaw....everything Frawley isnt. ttft !!

Not your most prescient post Beelzebub!. Heavens, he was All Australian in an awfully weak team

One thing I'm sure of is that Frawley won't win the Norm Smith as Lake did.

Otherwise I don't really give a ff sbout him. I'm glad he's gone as he was part of the cancer that

was chipping away at the club.

Brayshaw will be part of the cure that will help us forget that Frawley ever existed.

Well he bloody near did win the Norm Smith!

If that's what free agency means then I will surprise myself and give up on this game.

I hope we can improve enough with the young talent we have to get out of this mire. As for Frawley, I don't believe for one second that what he's feeling tonight would be half as good as the emotions felt by hundreds of players who stuck through thick and thin and then enjoyed success. So James, enjoy your MacMedal, but that's all it is.

He had been unimpressive until the last 3 weeks when he had a couple of solid games and a pearler in the big one. He is still a touch iffy by foot but I got rounded on last year by a poster(s) for defending Frawley. I was never for a minute calling him a superstar, I was just annoyed that the minute he put his contract on hold ( and made some fairly unintelligent comments) that he became the biggest dud that pulled on boots that we definitely wouldn't miss and I believe was called a cancer on our club by some. ( just got called that again by a poster above...)

I think we look to have done ok out of the deal but so have the Hawks. As to the comment above as to how Frawley will be feeling .... Seriously ????? I am tipping that chip will be pretty damn happy tonight.

for the record.... The same treatment is now being meted out to Howe. A superstar ? No. But just because you put your contract talks on hold you don't automatically go from a serviceable footballer to a complete dud.

Edited by nutbean
  • Like 2

yep. We just cannot hang on to battlers anymore. 3 years should be long enough in this modern era to know if a player has got what it takes.

This is the crap thinking which permeates our club. Dureay didn't get a game with the Hawks for 3 years. At the end of 3 years Swan was very ordinary at Collingwood and how many games in the 2nds did Michael Tuck play before he got a place in the firsts?

This is the crap thinking which permeates our club. Dureay didn't get a game with the Hawks for 3 years. At the end of 3 years Swan was very ordinary at Collingwood and how many games in the 2nds did Michael Tuck play before he got a place in the firsts?

They are exceptions rather than the rule.

They are exceptions rather than the rule.[/quot

No they are not! Strong clubs often play recruits in their 3rd or even 4th year. I noticed that when Kersten first olayed for the cats it was , I think, his 4th year and he had kicked over 100 goals for their 2s

They are exceptions rather than the rule.[/quot

No they are not! Strong clubs often play recruits in their 3rd or even 4th year. I noticed that when Kersten first olayed for the cats it was , I think, his 4th year and he had kicked over 100 goals for their 2s

No he didn't

Edited by dazzledavey36

I think the problem is Hawthorn didn't give up Brayshaw to get him. They gave nothing. They got to add a 26 y/o, quality and experienced KPP to their list for free (and a pretty modest contract from memory) purely because he wanted to taste success. In this case we have benefitted from it with Brayshaw an excellent replacement but I doubt rival clubs care about that. Hawthorn have gotten stronger out of it too and they were already too strong for the rest of the competition.

It's not their fault, they're a great club in every aspect but it will be too easy for the Hawks to stay up if other free agents follow in Frawley's footsteps and younger players "nominate" Hawthorn every off season to chase success.

• Like 2

Great game from Frawley well done he got what he wanted...success in GF. In the end that's what Football is about winning a flag, can't begrudge someone who wants success. I am one who won't cry over spilt milk and I wish him well in the future but only when he doesn't play against the Dee's. On those games he can kiss my ass!

• Like 1

Frawley played well, but any reasonable player can jump ship for glory. I don't rate it in country footy, and I don't rate it in the AFL. It is the easy way out. That isn't what I believe football is all about.

I agree with everything ...except your last line. It is what football is all about...therein lies the disconnect between fans who pay hard earned money to watch their team play each week good bad or indifferent (and we supporters have seen mostly bad) and a host of players (not only Frawley) who treat it as a profession.

• Like 1

Had the same emotions for Frawley today as I did for Stan Alves and Greg Wells when they won a premiership at another club. I was happy for them , and glad that they made strong contributions. Frawley leaving was totally different to someone like Scully.

• Like 4

Great game from Frawley well done he got what he wanted...success in GF. In the end that's what Football is about winning a flag, can't begrudge someone who wants success. I am one who won't cry over spilt milk and I wish him well in the future but only when he doesn't play against the Dee's. On those games he can kiss my ass!

Each to their own, I suppose, but I think seeing him and Lake poncing around with their premiership medallions is terrible for the weaker clubs in the competition, and will further entrench the inequality that is already ruining the game.

I don't wish him well at all. I wish him to get stuffed.

• Like 1

You can't deny he made the right decision for his own future and has become a better footballer in the Hawks system.

However, his attitude during his time with us was terrible. He should have been a leader but wasn't and his cynical explanation about waiting to see what was happening at the Club before deciding whether to leave when he had obviously commited to the Hawks well in advance leaves a bad taste.

• Like 7