The Ollie Whines Lounge

P-man

The frustrating thing is we were going to take Wines and we needed an inside mid more than an outside mid, which is what Toumpas is, and not a great one AT THIS POINT. Every time Wines has a blinder I feel angry at the missed opportunity that was there for us. What's done is done but I can't help but feel like we got spooked on draft night instead of choosing what we needed as opposed to what the draft hype was that year.

I understand the "get over it " philosophy, as it is done, but that doesn't stop you thinking about what could have been.

It is compounded by the fact that most armchair experts on here wanted Ollie and the fact that he was a Victorian and good mates with Viney.

Toumpas was considered top 4 by most recruiters and above Ollie.

Our problem was that GWS didn't take him at 3, instead I think taking O'Rourke, who most would agree has been underwhelming, more so than Toumpas.

It is pretty likely that if GWS had in fact taken Toumpas, we would have taken Ollie.

The fact that they didn't probably spooked us and we had to decide whether to take the higher rated player over the lower rated one and we took the easy way out. A gutsy call would have given us a fantastic player.

As I believe it was Todd Viney's call, he may have been worried about taking Jack's mate above a higher rated player.

No need to mention it to him today, as he probably feels sicker than we all do, as it was his decision.

As I said, lets get over it, and give Toump all our encouragement and support.

Even is he doesn't read this board, I am sure that he is aware of the comparisons and the grief that some many here are suffering.

But in the end Toump is our player and deserves support not derision.

And if one loves retrospective grief, just remember that all clubs passed over, many times, Chris Grant and James Hird (who was a great player even though he is a disgusting human being post playing).

Edited by monoccular
  • Like 2

As I said, lets get over it, and give Toump all our encouragement and support.

Even is he doesn't read this board, I am sure that he is aware of the comparisons and the grief that some many here are suffering.

But in the end Toump is our player and deserves support not derision.

I think we all support him and hope to hell he becomes a good player for us, but..................

The frustrating thing is we were going to take Wines and we needed an inside mid more than an outside mid, which is what Toumpas is, and not a great one AT THIS POINT. Every time Wines has a blinder I feel angry at the missed opportunity that was there for us. What's done is done but I can't help but feel like we got spooked on draft night instead of choosing what we needed as opposed to what the draft hype was that year.

Disagree. We needed everything, and given we also had Viney coming in, a combo of an inside and outside couple of talented draftees was the right thing to do.

Bwa ha ha.

Depending on how hung up you are about draft decisions from years ago, this will either upset you or pass with barely a smirk.

If Melbourne had recruited Ollie Wines, and Port had Toumpas, we would probably be ahead of them on the ladder right now.

Which to me means "we are getting more right than we are getting wrong, and I wont cry over the misses".

But maybe I'm just taking it easy because I'm still convinced that the Toump will be a credible and enduring AFL player.

Gee ya think so Hallowed one!??

Say it aint so!??

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure if this is the right thread but with Port not looking so good this year, we should be getting right into Ollies ear with some big coin and lure back to Melbourne.

With future draft picks on the table I hope this is the A lister in sights

Not sure if this is the right thread but with Port not looking so good this year, we should be getting right into Ollies ear with some big coin and lure back to Melbourne.

The lounge will see a change of name if we sign him.

• Like 1

I still remember before the draft, Emma Quayle said that if the Demons take Ollie Wines at pick 4 there will be explosions in the centre square for the next decade with him and Viney in there.

Hope we will still get to see that happen

So be it. I would add names like Salem Kent Toumpas and Tyson to the talks (not all, just 1...maybe 2)

Salem could end up being better than Wines. It's a no from me.

Olisik let me just say thank [censored] your not in charge of our recruiting team..

And keep dreaming kids i know Ollies sister Maddie and she has mentioned how much Wines is absolutely invested in the footy club and so are the family. The footy club has been nothing but terrific towards them in making them feel at home and they way they have looked after him.

Ollie has leadership aspirations at port in the future, they see him as their next captain and he is thriving for team success.

Good try but.

Edited by dazzledavey36

Olisik let me just say thank [censored] your not in charge of our recruiting team..

And keep dreaming kids i know Ollies sister Maddie and she has mentioned how much Wines is absolutely invested in the footy club and so are the family. The footy club has been nothing but terrific towards them in making them feel at home and they way they have looked after him.

Ollie has leadership aspirations at port in the future, they see him as their next captain and he is thriving for team success.

Good try but.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Say it ain't so!

• Like 1

Wouldn't even bother going after Wines. Would be a colossal waste of time devoting resources into prying a player with no interest in leaving their club, and I reckon we'd be spewing right now that Prestia turned us down after we chased him for so long.

Good try but.

http://giphy.com/gifs/doctor-who-nooooooo-when-he-cries-i-cry-wb9Yx70q7JSAE

Can't even imagine how good the team would be if I were list manager. We'll save that one for another day

You stated couple of weeks ago you would trade Salem due to his injuries.. Like you said save that for another day and the embarrassment upon yourself

You stated couple of weeks ago you would trade Salem due to his injuries.. Like you said save that for another day and the embarrassment upon yourself

Yeah I worry about injury prone players in early years as I think it stunts development. Nothing embarrassing about that mate.

How's looking like a [censored] feel for provoking a fellow supporter? Pathetic post

Edited by olisik

Yeah I worry about injury prone players in early years as I think it stunts development. Nothing embarrassing about that mate.

How's looking like a [censored] feel for provoking a fellow supporter? Pathetic post

The Draft can be a roll of the dice e.g. Chris Judd had shoulder issues as a junior which is said to have cost him a top two place in the classic 2001 Draft ( 1st Hodge 2nd Ball 3rd Judd ) . Ollie will no doubt play with strapping for the rest of his career .