WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - CHRISTIAN PETRACCA

Demonland

Now you're talking. Great highlights!

I'm not worried in the slightest that he has a bit of arrogance about him. The best players always do. He's already shown a willingness to work hard (dropping the weight and building a tank) and if the Saints pick McCartin, we won't be able to believe our luck!

• Like 1

I think there's far too much focus on this leader stuff, especially when it comes to kids.

Not everyone has to be a leader. Not everyone aspires to be a leader.

Judd and Ablett jr just had to be because their football demanded it. Steve Johnson and Hanneberry types aren't/weren't what you'd want as a leader but you'd pick them every Thursday.

Besides, I think every single kid we've drafted in the last 5 years "could be the captain one day" so Petracca, assuming the Saints are idiots, will have a hard time cracking a leadership gig in our team anyway.

• Like 7

Can someone please remind me why we are now all hyped on getting Pteracca again? Whose Grandma said the saints don't want him?

It's believed that Petracca 'failed' his second psychiatric test from the saints. Personally I think he will be still be a saint but his results were so low they think he has bats in the belfry.

I don't put a lot of weight on these psychometric tests but I guess draftees become multi million dollar investments for each club and they should do their due diligence. However, to put these tests into perspective, Dayle Gartlett achieved '100%' last year and we all know how much of a straight shooter he is.

• Like 4

When you stand at the edge of a cliff do you feel the urge to jump?

Is there a Sherrin in front of me? If there is is yes the right answer?

• Like 1

It's believed that Petracca 'failed' his second psychiatric test from the saints. Personally I think he will be still be a saint but his results were so low they think he has bats in the belfry.

I don't put a lot of weight on these psychometric tests but I guess draftees become multi million dollar investments for each club and they should do their due diligence. However, to put these tests into perspective, Dayle Gartlett achieved '100%' last year and we all know how much of a straight shooter he is.

Keep thinking of the movie 'The Club'. I hoped to find a vid of the scene, but the best I could find was a quote:

Jock: [referring to Geoff] He's been up his mum and his legless sister and he thinks he's killed his old man!

Said in the other thread Salem hasn't shown much except kick a match winner against essendon. Other then that he has not shown why he was worthy of pick 9 especially the likes of Luke Dunstan Lewis Taylor were picked later and made huge contribution for their side.

He looks so out of depth we have gifted him games when the likes of Jimmy Toumpas were dropped after 1 or 2 games. Yes he missed first half of Pre Season but taylor missed the whole chunk with a broken foot.

Toumpas copped it last year. He showed alot more then Salem has done for his first year.

Salem showed allot more then just that goal he kicked. He came on against Syd and did some nice things in the forward half. He done some classy things in his games mixed with his hard edge style and willingness to compete, cant say the same for Jimmy.

What I really like about him is that the lad seems to have a bit of gumption about him.

Morning news now saying that McCartin is the new favourite to be taken at Number one.

• Like 1

That's quite funny. A mate of mine works at the Geelong Falcons. He told me this morning that he spoke to a few of the boys at their recent presentation night about being interviewed by clubs and what they ask. And they said that some clubs asked them to "spell TOMATO backwards" and "recite the Alphabet backwards". I kid you not.

If Petracca has failed these tests and comes to us because of it, i am more than fine with that. Heck, i'm a teacher so i'll even go and and teach him how to spell tomato and the abc backwards myself!

• Like 2

Except he's not a [censored].

It's clear he is self driven. Something Sylvia never was.

The fact he is confident in his ability is a positive.

Landing Petracca and Brayshaw under our current FD format and environment will, in my eyes, be the break we've been longing for.

It's time.

Yet the whole Sylvia comparison is retrospective - you can make an assessment on Sylvia now as we have seen 10 years of him. Sylvia was absolutely driven - at 18..It just didn't last all that long.

Sylvia suffered from OP in 2002 but was dominant 2003. Not driven ? 2003 he was a tackling machine ripping games apart. There was no knock on Sylvia at draft time about his work rate or will to succeed. He was described as a competitive beast.

"Does all the team things and is hard at the footy - 111 tackles including 13 in a game give you some idea of his work ethic. He is super competitive and even when he is struggling with injury still gives his all"

"Has been compared to Michael Voss and should become of the best players in the league within 5 years. Medium, inside forward/midfielder who is a tremendous tackler. Player who leads by example. Great work ethic and very competitive. Had outstanding 2003 season winning All Australian U18 honours, TAC Cup coaches award and Pioneers B & F Award"

I can absolutely see the comparisons between the two in the limited vision I have seen and they way they play.

I hope if we take Petracca that he doesn't turn out to be Colin Sylvia.

The major difference between now and 2003 is we have a development team in place who will hopefully steer the kids in the right direction both on and off the field.

I wonder how Sylvia would have turned out under if we drafted this year under this current regime ?

• Like 3

Keep thinking of the movie 'The Club'. I hoped to find a vid of the scene, but the best I could find was a quote:

Jock: [referring to Geoff] He's been up his mum and his legless sister and he thinks he's killed his old man!

A great line that one, I just hope our recruiting team haven't gone about interviewing players under the same influence that Jock did.

• Like 1

That's quite funny. A mate of mine works at the Geelong Falcons. He told me this morning that he spoke to a few of the boys at their recent presentation night about being interviewed by clubs and what they ask. And they said that some clubs asked them to "spell TOMATO backwards" and "recite the Alphabet backwards". I kid you not.

If Petracca has failed these tests and comes to us because of it, i am more than fine with that. Heck, i'm a teacher so i'll even go and and teach him how to spell tomato and the abc backwards myself!

What is the value in tests like that?

I've been able to spell TOMATO backwards since I was six. Now I own and run my own multi billion dollar business, have a Lear jet, a 500 foot long yacht, a 38 million dollar mansion, 503 staff, and 65 beautiful mistresses at my beck and call.

OTAMOT.

It's how the big boys roll.

• Like 10

reminds me of that gem

A Battleship is coming down Swanston St .....what do you do ?

Answer ....torpedo it from my Submarine !!

Where did you get a submarine from ? Same f'n place where you got your Battleship !!

• Like 4

It's got me stuffed. Think it's more about justifying a 'service' industry i.e all the HR people and such

A lot of it is supposedly about problem solving techniques and personality traits.... Myers Brigg etc.

Not sure what it really has to do with footy though...but hey

I can spell TOMATO backwards - it's forwards I have trouble with.

F O R W A R D S !! easy :)

• Like 5

I've been able to spell TOMATO backwards since I was six. Now I own and run my own multi billion dollar business, have a Lear jet, a 500 foot long yacht, a 38 million dollar mansion, 503 staff, and 65 beautiful mistresses at my beck and call.

OTAMOT.

You say OTAMOT I say ATAMOT.

As for the alphabet backwards, that would take me at least 10 minutes, I just tried and [censored] up after X.

• Like 1

OTAMOT.

I find that hard to believe.

Only 65?????

• Like 1

Another thing I like about Petracca is that he also plays forward and is a big boy, this means he can develop in the forward line and snag a few goals for us with stints in the midfield as he develops, so if we lose out on mcCartin we still get some one who can cause some havoc in the forward 50 along side Hogan.

• Like 3