Its our inside midfield !! Get it?

picket fence

Anyone else want to buy the notion that we need outside run as opposed to inside grunt need look no further than todays contested footy and first use count till half time! We are getting killed!

So once and for all this should send a reality check to all you posters out there that think that we need outside run as opposed to INSIDE MID GRUNT! as our first recruiting priority!

So as I was saying spend our first two picks on that need, THEN maybe look at Billy Stretch to appease that outside need as a third round pick.

The other startling need is for a key Forward and as I have said throw a package to Richmond for Riewoldt which they cannot refuse!

Till half time this display has been diabolical!

Picket we are being killed because we have no good user of the ball and because

Viney, Tyson, Riley combined total of under 50 games are lining up against selwood, Johnson, Kelly and they need time

We have 2 mids capable of matching their opponent, Vince and jones

If we recruit Riewold I will make a promise to do something stupid. He is a flat track bully. Mind you, if he fell into our laps for next to nothing I would have him. But that's not going to happen.

• Like 1

Anyone else want to buy the notion that we need outside run as opposed to inside grunt need look no further than todays contested footy and first use count till half time! We are getting killed!

So once and for all this should send a reality check to all you posters out there that think that we need outside run as opposed to INSIDE MID GRUNT! as our first recruiting priority!

So as I was saying spend our first two picks on that need, THEN maybe look at Billy Stretch to appease that outside need as a third round pick.

The other startling need is for a key Forward and as I have said throw a package to Richmond for Riewoldt which they cannot refuse!

Agree with a bit of this 'picket', not Riewoldt though. We need players who can get there own ball and win hard contested ball then be able to use it. We are building in this area but it should have been better. Recruiting in the past has let us down as we know.

One obvious area is a ruckman who can help out and win his fair share of ball. We are automatically one man down in the middle when we take any of our current rucks into the game. Clark is a big loss here, he could do this and go forward to kick goals. I think we need to have a look at who we can bring in. I like Sinclair at the Eagles, struggling for games but can get the ball and kick goals.

All is all we need class that can win their own ball, way to many passengers in this team.

Picket we are being killed because we have no good user of the ball and because

Viney, Tyson, Riley combined total of under 50 games are lining up against selwood, Johnson, Kelly and they need time

We have 2 mids capable of matching their opponent, Vince and jones

Contested ball, first use, stoppages and centre bounce stats????? But don't let that stat get in the way! Its not just the way we use it its not getting it FIRST!

Picket look at the clangers, we have a young core of ball winners developing, they need time but we have so little good ball users

Vince, Jones, cross, trengove, viney, Tyson, Riley, michie are all inside mids,

Elite ball users on the field for us... Vince, watts..... anyone else? Other than that toumpas, Strauss, Salem two are under 20.game players and one is probably gone at years end

Last week we had 50 points scored as a result of turnovers

This week is probably similar already

We won't win games while that's happening

But I am confident we just need to give viney and Tyson time for the inside ball

• Like 1

yup

Toumpas over Wines will haunt us forever

17 game player... averaging 17 touches per game at AFL level, tracking just fine, if you take out the comparison to Wines, look at that he is statistically very similar to a lot of players who have gone on to be okay

examples.. Cotchin, Ablett, Swan, Watson

in fact Ablett even had knocks on him about being soft.

does that mean he will make it? no.

does that mean it's too early to write him off? yes.

17 game player... averaging 17 touches per game at AFL level, tracking just fine, if you take out the comparison to Wines, look at that he is statistically very similar to a lot of players who have gone on to be okay

examples.. Cotchin, Ablett, Swan, Watson

in fact Ablett even had knocks on him about being soft.

does that mean he will make it? no.

does that mean it's too early to write him off? yes.

Yawn....

Anyone who refuses to believe that taking Toumpas over Wines was a mistake, clearly has their head in the sand (at least Wines is able to get on the park).

However Picket, your moaning over bringing in Reiwoldt is almost farcical. He is the exact type of culture we are trying to eradicate from our club. That puts you at 1 - 1. Will be interesting to see which way you go on your next player choice!

Edited by Demon Disciple

no. The facts are we overlooked the perfect inside mid we were crying out for in the 2012 draft.

and if you read my comment you would notice I am not denying that, we have probably made a massive error here, Toumpas was/is not what we needed and Wines would be making a difference.

I would personally have taken Wines, but that does not take away from Toumpas imo he is tracking okay, probably will be an okay player in time but I don't think he is what we need, so i'd probably consider a trade if a good deal came up, a more advanced team would be able to develop him better and make better use of him, right now we need to strip everything back and get the foundation of our list sorted.

• Like 1

and if you read my comment you would notice I am not denying that, we have probably made a massive error here, Toumpas was/is not what we needed and Wines would be making a difference.

I would personally have taken Wines, but that does not take away from Toumpas imo he is tracking okay, probably will be an okay player in time but I don't think he is what we need, so i'd probably consider a trade if a good deal came up, a more advanced team would be able to develop him better and make better use of him, right now we need to strip everything back and get the foundation of our list sorted.

toumpas will probably be an ok player....

Kinda sums up the MFC doesn't it

The AFL have given us a lot of chances

toumpas will probably be an ok player....

Kinda sums up the MFC doesn't it

The AFL have given us a lot of chances

we have messed up a lot, I always wonder if blokes like Strauss, Blease, Tapscott and co would have developed differently at another club and been very good players

• Like 1

we have messed up a lot, I always wonder if blokes like Strauss, Blease, Tapscott and co would have developed differently at another club and been very good players

maybe. But nowhere near as good as we needed them to be.

I thought we were flat footed waiting for the ball while Geelong got the ball first and were able to clear it with better ball movement. I don't think it's any one thing, our team simply lacked the will to win the ball in the first half.