Training - Thursday 15th May, 2014

Satyriconhome

Didn't know where to put this and didn't want to start a new thread but i thought this quote from Jamar gives a fascinating insight into how Neeld went about things and by contrast how Roos goes about things. Not wanting to rake over old coals nor bag Neeld but these are the most pointed comments from a senior player i have heard about the previous regime (not much need to read between the lines):

Its been good to be back in the team, especially playing under Roosy Ive really been enjoying it. To be able to contribute to the team has been really good, he told melbournefc.com.au.

The confidence you get from the current coaching group its outstanding and they back you in and they give you responsibility.

They treat us like men and theyve been fantastic and Ive really enjoyed it. I hope I can continue to be a part of this team for a long time to come, because Im really enjoying the environment at the club.

Im really enjoying our new game plan and I think its reignited the fire in the belly.

Link

• Like 9

Jamar's "he treats us like men" comment was interesting. It's pretty sad when players find it groundbreaking that the coach treats them like men.

You only have to hear Roos speak to feel somehow calmed.

I have never felt so assured that we are in good hands and yet facts tell me we have won two games.

When Roos said we are a work in progress and there is a long way to go I just nod and say - I can see that - steady as she goes captain. When Neeld said literally the same thing I groaned and thought 5 more years in the wilderness.

• Like 2

Jamar's "he treats us like men" comment was interesting. It's pretty sad when players find it groundbreaking that the coach treats them like men.

Yes i thought exactly the same thing. As i said quite pointed.

• Like 1

Another huge difference is how often winning is mentioned by coaches and players in interviews etc after the word seemingly was verboten under Neeld. They're all banging on about it. A couple of weeks back Roos must have mentioned in 10 times in one interview. Stone talks about it in his interviews with Burgs. Jones goes on about it today in his interview. Love it.

So you watched his game at Visy on Saturday, he really was like a pig in mud, watched him decide that to get past two defenders the easiest way was just to barge straight between them, hopefully could be another piece of inspired recruiting alongside Tyson and JKH

Training is interesting for the calls, we have Pig, Chin, Chunk, Sal, Toump, Killa, Jets, Rush and Pedo to name a few

killa is a bit of an oxy though isn't it.

Yes i thought exactly the same thing. As i said quite pointed.

From memory this echoes comments made by other players during the preseason. It sounds like Neelds 'football university' was actually more of a primary school...the players apparently treated as such and therefore played accordingly.

• Like 1

I think the name 'pig dog' is related to playing like a dog thats used for hunting pigs. super aggressive, grunt and pure strength.

• Like 1

1. Roos doesn't carry the burden of a Bailey or Neeld because he has cemented his reputation. Even if it doesn't work out they will say "Melbourne were a basket case what could he have done"

He is not going to trash his reputation being here.

2. He knows what it takes to succeed. Neeld and Bailey had seen it close but never done it as coach. There is a huge difference.

3. He has supreme confidence in his man management skills and his ability to get the best out of players.

The players are loving the atmosphere at the club and it is showing. They 'care' for each other on the field and you can see that clearly by their actions - running the length of the field to congratulate Salem after his firrst goal. That stuff hasn't been seem at melbourne for a long time.

Its great.

• Like 6

Thanks so much for the reports, especially for those of us far away and unable to attend. Greatly appreciated.

Did I miss something - was there any reference + or - re gawnius maximus ?

I agree but as I understand it he didn't play at Casey last weekend so would be a big call to go into the Firsts. Would love it if he did.

I stand corrected the big Gawny is in for Frawley. I guess they will use Pedersen as a permanent forward or perhaps put him in the backline and put Garland up front and have Gawny as the second ruckman resting in the forward pocket creating havoc.

I stand corrected the big Gawny is in for Frawley. I guess they will use Pedersen as a permanent forward or perhaps put him in the backline and put Garland up front and have Gawny as the second ruckman resting in the forward pocket creating havoc.

Been offline

Chin is Lynden Dunn

From what i could see at training yesterday, the line up forward looked like Gawn, with Dawes and Pedersen either side, then Watts, then Bail and Salem

I think the name 'pig dog' is related to playing like a dog thats used for hunting pigs. super aggressive, grunt and pure strength.

I'm really excited to see Pigdog play - Especially when he's in the middle with hardnuts Pitbull (Viney), Jonesy, Crossy and for class Tyson and Vince!

• Like 2

For the interstate or overseas posters, there is no need to thank me every time I post a training report, I know it is appreciated

I have gained the trust of the players over time and if I ask a question I usually get an honest answer, of course checking that I can 'publish'

There are things that I have been told over time that I made my own decision not to 'publish' so you have to bear with me

If there is a question on any player that you want answering, then just let me know, they will be having next week off, but will still be getting to training at least twice a month till end of season

• Like 6

Hope it's not the former - he played his 50th a couple of weeks ago.

As my spies alluded to The PIGDOG gets a gig!

For anyone who hasn't seen him play, Think Viney, Wines and a touch of Andrew Obst !

For the interstate or overseas posters, there is no need to thank me every time I post a training report, I know it is appreciated

I have gained the trust of the players over time and if I ask a question I usually get an honest answer, of course checking that I can 'publish'

There are things that I have been told over time that I made my own decision not to 'publish' so you have to bear with me

If there is a question on any player that you want answering, then just let me know, they will be having next week off, but will still be getting to training at least twice a month till end of season

Hey Saty, in your honest opinion having spoken to him, do you reckon Chip will stay next year?

Hey Saty, in your honest opinion having spoken to him, do you reckon Chip will stay next year?

I know in this modern day and age that whatever the player says is not believed because we have all heard it before

Chip is happy at the Club, he is in the leadership group, he is a popular member of the squad

Just think like some others the last couple of years got him down, he was AA remember then it all went pear shaped

I offered him a pen after the Carlton win and he just laughed, rather than ignore or get [censored] off, which shows his attitude

I think he is like a lot of players, if the boot was on the other foot, the Club has no qualms about delisting players, I think he just wants a bit of success, if he thinks another club with an offer seems a more viable alternative then he may take it, I really don't think it will come down to money, it will come down to whether he is enjoying his footy and being at the club

Edited by Satyriconhome

I know in this modern day and age that whatever the player says is not believed because we have all heard it before

Chip is happy at the Club, he is in the leadership group, he is a popular member of the squad

Just think like some others the last couple of years got him down, he was AA remember then it all went pear shaped

I offered him a pen after the Carlton win and he just laughed, rather than ignore or get [censored] off, which shows his attitude

I think he is like a lot of players, if the boot was on the other foot, the Club has not qualms about delisting players, I think he just wants a bit of success, if he thinks another club with an offer seems a more viable alternative then he may take it, I really don't think it will come down to money, it will come down to whether he is enjoying his footy and being at the club

Did he say whether he enjoyed playing forward, and if he thought that this would /could be a long term option for him?

I think he is like a lot of players, if the boot was on the other foot, the Club has not qualms about delisting players, I think he just wants a bit of success, if he thinks another club with an offer seems a more viable alternative then he may take it, I really don't think it will come down to money, it will come down to whether he is enjoying his footy and being at the club

that's the thing, how quickly can we start playing regular finals footy? i suppose that's the bottom line that will make the decision for Chip

I reckon you are spot on Saty of course a little extra money would not hurt.

Even though you don't want it thanks for the reports.

When he got the gig as a forward and he played well, he actually made a point of asking me what I thought, (of course with a laugh), I told him he was crap and needed to go back, which he found amusing...said he loved the fact that he was making defenders miserable after putting up with the same for a couple of years

• Like 4