Training - Wednesday 2nd April, 2014

old dee

Opened the thread hoping to see that MFC had an on field training session following an all player and coaching staff meeting where video analysis of other clubs were watched.

The analysis showed that players attacking the ball were given the benefit of free kicks and were able to make mistakes because they were supported by their teammaates who provided outlets or shepherding to allow space. Players were alerted to the fact that players ran to space and their teammates kicked to that space where numbers gathered to repeat the above actions. When marks or free kicks were given they were taken quickly and directed at a player in space. Players ran onto balls that were kicked into space and closed down opponents who were running into space.

Players were able to witness the team characteristics where players were acknowledged by their teammates not ignored

Players were directed to take their first initiative option their teammates were directed to understand what any teammate would do and act on that.

I know its difficult but Roos has stated its a confidence thing and I reckon if they watch other teams they might see that they too make mistakes but also have persistence . We have been used to persisting with too few resources . We now have better resources although we have obvious injuries but it is time for those that we have to step up to their potential.

The training session was not so much a skill session but a fun session where players tried to match the endeavour of Jones and tried to anticipate what Jack Watts would do when they gave him the ball. There was constant movement the whole session as players created space. There was a renewed intensity that was maintained for the whole session after which the players stayed together and discussed their relationships. Players became teammates and understood Why and How they must work together. External issues were solved through working together so that concentration on the matter of playing elite football was possible

No such luck

I feel like you just wasted a minute of my morning.

i got right in to it, thinking ' this is great news! this dude must be on the inside', when very late in to the read, all the way down to the the last couple of sentences i realised, 'i have been deceived, its all lies'. haha

Edited by Deez
  • Like 1

I didn't go to training but I can confirm that they trained well and hard and they are going into this week's game confident because they trained hard.

Source: The last three years.

Edited by Cudi_420
  • Like 6

I wont get too upset about that because at least I know we have Roos coaching and PJ running the club but I do sometimes wonder about a lot of the people we have getting paid (not usually big bucks I will add) to do all the things like website, membership, promotion,logistics etc. I am hoping that PJ and Roos' level of excellence spreads throughout the club and all staff are happier but also working harder and smarter.

That's a good point. I happen to know a few people working at different clubs, some particularly successful ones, and unless you're in a football role or a key administration role, you get paid peanuts and work a lot of overtime.

You do it for the love of being involved with an AFL club, and to have it on your CV, not for the money.

Often there are a few cushy overpaid positions for past players who were paid below their worth during their careers, increasing the squeeze.

If that's the case with successful clubs, I'd hate to think what the like at MFC.

Something lost on quite a few who get their arms up in the air because they may have missed the opportunity to attend a training session.

Perspective is a great thing.

Edited by Machsy

I didn't go to training but I can confirm that they trained well and hard and they are going into this week's game confidence because they trained hard.

Source: The last three years.

They have also decided that a loss as big as last weeks will not be tolerated as a club moving forward.

• Like 3

I just want to see them friggin shepherd each other for once... is that so much to ask?

I think we should bring in Tappy solely for the purpose of cleaning up Scully... jks

I would like to see us win some holding the balls - the only one I remember from this year is the Nathan Jones one - which Trengove decided to throw away!

Edited by Young Dee
  • Like 2

I feel like you just wasted a minute of my morning.

i got right in to it, thinking ' this is great news! this dude must be on the inside', when very late in to the read, all the way down to the the last couple of sentences i realised, 'i have been deceived, its all lies'. haha

Sorry Deezee thought the first line would give it away as my mild form of humour.

Its not all lies as it does outline some of the things that should be being done but it is unfortunate that it is a lie and we dont read of this happening.

It would be nice to know if there is anything like the team building going on as that does seem to be a major problem. Another thread points out that many of the players were chosen for their leadership ability and perhaps that is part of the problem they all think they can lead and we have no real doers.

Sorry Deezee thought the first line would give it away as my mild form of humour.

Its not all lies as it does outline some of the things that should be being done but it is unfortunate that it is a lie and we dont read of this happening.

It would be nice to know if there is anything like the team building going on as that does seem to be a major problem. Another thread points out that many of the players were chosen for their leadership ability and perhaps that is part of the problem they all think they can lead and we have no real doers.

nah thats cool man, it was a good laugh. good point though, and i hope they are doing those things. Im sure roos has them doing something like this.

Yeh thats a possibility with the leadership idea. To be honest i don't know what the reason is behind their lack of communication. In a work environment i know that often when communication breaks down its a result of people becoming annoyed with each other, or something like that. no doubt that would play a role, i would be annoyed if i were one of them.

Yes, even if the article basically said why stay at Melbourne after his contract is up at the end of 2015!

The media never miss an opportunity to have a crack at us.

Bastar*s.

On Jonesy there is an excellent article on him in the Age today.

He is a warrior/champion person.

Agree Bob, what you see is what you get on and off the field, just a genuine bloke.

On Jonesy there is an excellent article on him in the Age today.

He is a warrior/champion person.

While I agree it was an excellent article (I'll bet Nathan Jones has never compared himself with Sisyphus before), did anyone else find it strange that there was not one quote from Jones in the article? I wonder if Jake Niall tried to get a comment and if not, why not? And conversely, if he did try, why didn't Jones give him something? As I said, very strange.

I wont get too upset about that because at least I know we have Roos coaching and PJ running the club but I do sometimes wonder about a lot of the people we have getting paid (not usually big bucks I will add) to do all the things like website, membership, promotion,logistics etc. I am hoping that PJ and Roos' level of excellence spreads throughout the club and all staff are happier but also working harder and smarter.

like the hawthorn v Dees Casey preseason practice match where they ran out of cold drinks just after quarter time?