AFL House Announcement coming up @ 10 am

Cook understands well the struggles faced by smaller clubs and is in favour of equalisation measures.

And fwiw, some of the better informed minds believe that Gil won't get a look in for the top job.

Gills second in charge for a anonymous footy forum lover you must have friends in high places or your full of garbage, I'm tipping its the second opinion.

Gills second in charge for a anonymous footy forum lover you must have friends in high places or your full of garbage, I'm tipping its the second opinion.

Go and make yourself a coffee mjt you have lost your perspective this afternoon.

"I didn't inject anyone"

what a backhander!!

I thought so too at the time.

So far no one in the media seems to have picked up on it.

Oh well I suppose the day is young from a media sense.

they are probably all off writing AD's epitaph.

"I didn't inject anyone"

what a backhander!!

Couldnt agree more why should he blamed for an organisation pushing the boundarys.

I somehow suspect Demetriou won't go far. Perhaps in a couple of years he'll become a non-executive Commissioner of the AFL. There's too much talent there which the AFL should harness. Sure, he has some weaknesses, including his dictatorial style, but the competition is in a far stronger position now than when he started. Wish I could say the same for the MFC.

Well played, Andrew.

Aussie Rules was a lot more enjoyable to watch before AD's time as CEO.

Maintaining the integrity and the spirit of a sport is far more appealing to me than maximising profits and revenue could ever be.

Adios Andrew, hopefully your successor isn't purely focused on cheddar.

Mark Fine went to town on the AFL & Vlad at 7PM tonight on SEN.

The Sydney GW$ living allowance..Brisbane had it till they won 3 flags.

He was highlighting what Mike Fitzpatrick had recently said "GW$ were not tracking as well as expected".

The AFL want these interstate clubs to win flags.

The long suffering Victorian supporters are being duped.

I had to agree. The next CEO has to sort out Victorian football clubs. Etihad Stadium will kill them.

Hope the new CEO gets rid of Sydney's living allowance it's insane that a team can win a flag with over a mil spare in their cap to throw at Tippett and Buddy

AD could well be getting out before the #$^$ hits the fan from ASADA ...

He's there till the end of the year by which time the fan will have been well and truly soiled.

I think his response about him not injecting anyone was a fine repartee to those who seem to want to turn that issue into one of blaming ASADA for the slowness of its processes when it's absolutely clear that whilst the players have given their evidence as best they can, the club they play for might not have been as forthcoming with information as they should be - I refer to their Sergeant Shultz attitude of "ve know nussing".

• Like 1

He's there till the end of the year by which time the fan will have been well and truly soiled.

I think his response about him not injecting anyone was a fine repartee to those who seem to want to turn that issue into one of blaming ASADA for the slowness of its processes when it's absolutely clear that whilst the players have given their evidence as best they can, the club they play for might not have been as forthcoming with information as they should be - I refer to their Sergeant Shultz attitude of "ve know nussing".

Probably, but funnier things have happened, especially as the legal wrangling around it is not exactly going to be crisp and clean ...

Cook understands well the struggles faced by smaller clubs and is in favour of equalisation measures.

And fwiw, some of the better informed minds believe that Gil won't get a look in for the top job.

I hope you're right about Gil, something doesn't sit right with me about him. Has the look of a "salesman" in the worst sense of the word, to slick for his own good.

Cook would be fantastic but I don't know if he has the will to take on the position. Main thing is we need someone who has the will to see through the equalisation policies and make the competition fairer for all.

• Like 1

He was highlighting what Mike Fitzpatrick had recently said "GW$ were not tracking as well as expected".

I had to agree. The next CEO has to sort out Victorian football clubs. Etihad Stadium will kill them.

2007 - Geelong - Port

2008 - Hawthorn - Geelong

2009 - Geelong - St. Kilda

2010 - Collingwood - St. Kilda

2011 - Geelong - Collingwood

2012 - Sydney - Hawthorn

2013 - Hawthorn - Fremantle

• Like 1

This makes my blood boil.....GWS played the draft like a stradivarious. They were expected to go for a mix of youth and senior players to make them competitive straight away and with a realistic chance of success within 5 yrs. They said stuff that - and went for the cream of youth anticipating they could build an incredibly talented pool of young players. They might be able to trade some of those players once GWS have been in the system for a few years and are getting competitive. They had a number of years when the AFL would support them come hell or high water and they are taking advantage of that.

If they are tracking worse than the AFL expected its only because of GWSs drafting strategy. They shouldnt be given any more assistance but the AFL are now in it up to their neck. Can't afford it to fail. They will throw money and rule changes at GWS for years to come...

• Like 2

I somehow suspect Demetriou won't go far. Perhaps in a couple of years he'll become a non-executive Commissioner of the AFL. There's too much talent there which the AFL should harness.

Correct. AD will be be on $3M a year from an international tennis, golf, Olympic, or similar organisation by 2015.

All the muppets on here (and bigfooty) having a sook about him are utterly clueless. He's been an absolute boon for this football code.

• Like 1

This makes my blood boil.....GWS played the draft like a stradivarious. They were expected to go for a mix of youth and senior players to make them competitive straight away and with a realistic chance of success within 5 yrs. They said stuff that - and went for the cream of youth anticipating they could build an incredibly talented pool of young players. They might be able to trade some of those players once GWS have been in the system for a few years and are getting competitive. They had a number of years when the AFL would support them come hell or high water and they are taking advantage of that.

If they are tracking worse than the AFL expected its only because of GWSs drafting strategy. They shouldnt be given any more assistance but the AFL are now in it up to their neck. Can't afford it to fail. They will throw money and rule changes at GWS for years to come...

This all sounds eerily familiar...

2007 - Geelong - Port

2008 - Hawthorn - Geelong

2009 - Geelong - St. Kilda

2010 - Collingwood - St. Kilda

2011 - Geelong - Collingwood

2012 - Sydney - Hawthorn

2013 - Hawthorn - Fremantle

before that

2000- Essendon - Melbourne

2001- Essendon - Brisbane

2002 - Brisbane - Collingwood

2003 - Brisbane - Collingwood

2004 - Brisbane - Port Adelaide

2005 - Sydney - West coast

2006 - Sydney - West coast

Of course they will. For some reason the AFL think it will be a great thing when a Premiership is won in Greater Western Sydney.

But in reality who will care and who will have benefitted?

before that

2000- Essendon - Melbourne

2001- Essendon - Brisbane

2002 - Brisbane - Collingwood

2003 - Brisbane - Collingwood

2004 - Brisbane - Port Adelaide

2005 - Sydney - West coast

2006 - Sydney - West coast

Demetriou took over as CEO in 2003. He could hardly be held accountable for the success of any specific team over the subsequent two to three years.

Having said that, measuring the success of interstate v Victorian teams by looking at the teams who played in the Grand Final is a rather blunt instrument anyway.

Edited by La Dee-vina Comedia
  • Like 1