• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Ultimate Footy 2014 - Norm Smith League

Jarka

The boy's from team OMR very satisfied with tonight's 2014 squad building evening......

Midfield elite -: Dane Swan, Keiran Jack, Dan Hannerbury, James Kelly, Brad Sewell, Mitch Wallis,

With Andrew Swallow ready to swoop into contention from round 5

Rucks -: Will" 40 hit outs per game" Minson & the Wild Card Majik Daw

Forwards -: No. One Ranked UF player from 2013 Nick Riewaldt, Crameri, Sylvia, Dalhaus, & the No. 1 draft pick boy's from GWS Patton & Tommy Boyd

Backs -: Hanley, Suckling, Frawley, Dempsey, Sam Fisher

Feeling confident in defending the title in 2014

Great run comp Jarka, huge thumbs up for taking over this comp & congratulations on a smooth draft night

I can't wait to get stuck into round one !!!!!!!!!

Edited by Old Man Rivers

So my boss wont be stoked with my work so far today, but i hope you guys are:

8 teams so far will finish the rest by end of shift

Disclaimer: it is all my opinion (so dont hate me)

Jarkas Jokers:

Projected Stats Category Highs:

3rd in league %, 1st in league FD

Projected Stats Smokey Category:

7th for score, but having Tomahawk, Jeremy Cameron, Ballantyne, Dal Santo, Murphy, Lewis and more midfield time for Gibbs, the score category for Jarkas Jokers could some weeks easily break the 100 points.

Depth:

Defence Options: 5

Centre Options: 8

Forward Options: 7

Ruck Options: 3

From a depth view an injury or two in defence could push the list, but that is why we have 35 trades. Hopefully no niggling injuries leading too 1 or 2 players missing a couple weeks, making trade decisions difficult.

Team Overview:

From my initial thoughts he has gone down a depth with youth, this will be great in a keeper sense, and players like Macrae and Tyson have had stellar pre seasons which lead to great options on the bench. Murphy could well end up being a top 10 player and Lynden Dunn could be a steal as we all know Melbourne use the footy from our back half through him at all oppourtunities. Look for Blicavs to get a position of defender added throughout the season.

If these younger players come on as expected Jarkas Team will be much more solid, with a few selection headaches. The first of which I think will be Macrae vs Ballantyne and could even be Martin.

Potential Keepers:

Murphy

Gibbs

Martin

Cameron

How to find him match day:

Jarka will be the guy encouraging dunn to play on from kickouts in order to register a stat.

Jakovich Forever:

2nd in Marks, 4th in Score and Kicks.

Projected Stats Smokey Catregory:

Not so much a smokey Category, but I doubt he will lose marks often with midfielders who have been taking marks often through the preseason and forwards who don’t drop the ball, the mark category for Jako is definitely a strong point. Score is also a category which could rise as his midfielders vince, fyfe and rockliff are dangerous around goals.

Depth:

Defence options: 6 (1 rookie)

Midfield options: 11

Forward options: 7

Ruck options: 2

From the depth chart Vickery is almost his most important player, this is only because Gawn may not be playing much, especially early on, meaning Vickery is important to play week in week out. Then defense could be a little sparse, but if Clisby can bring the form in from the end of last season could be a very smart pick up.

Team Overview:

Rockliff and Fyfe have the potential to be two top 10 players this year and with Bernie Vinces pre season form the midfield is definitely a dangerous one. Whilst he was disappointed with pulling the trigger so early on Monfries, him and Howe are two players who are pivotal for the teams success, if they are able to push through the midfield a little bit more this season and get their stats up to the 20-23 area with 6-8 marks that will go a long way into ensuring a win for Jakos side.

Potential Keepers:

Jack Riedwolt

Nathan Fyfe

Jager O’Meara

Lachie Whitfield

How to find him matchday:

May well be the only Melbourne supporter hoping for an LTI in order to get Georgiou onto the list, although halfway through the season he could well be the nominated rookie anyway.

JCB:

2nd in Kicks, 3rd in Hitouts

Tackles, I feel that the players on JCBs team have been underrated on tackles, and whilst he is 7th for the stat in the league, I think it is one that will rise and more often than not he will take out the 3 points. Score is another smokey category due to the option of tippet in the ruck, although the midfield has less scoring potential than other midfields (IMO)

Depth Chart:

Defence options: 6

Midfield Options: 10

Forward Options: 6

Ruck depth is a clear strength in JCBs team, with Lobbe and Jamar being 2 number 1 ruckmen and Tippet going to pinch hit, hit outs are a strength. Defensive depth could be the only problem, if Duffield or Enright go down, but Brodie Smith could be a player having a break out season.

Team Overview:

Stevie Johnson could well be the best ultimate footballer category based player by the end of the season with more time through the midfield and a flat out matchwinner himself. Defense is the only area a little stretched. JCB will be hoping for the midfielders to rack up the majority of his numbers and ride the team to victory off the back of high disposals and from his midfield guns Stevie J, Masten, Stanton, Montagna and Tom Mitchell.

Potential Keepers:

Stevie J

Stanton

Mitchell

Wingard

How to find him on matchday:

Asking why Montagna isn’t playing in round 1 and yelling at Jamar to do more around the ground

Dark Days:

1st in Marks, 3rd in Score

Hit outs, although he is 5th, his depth in the ruck/forward position will mean that most weeks this category should be one that he wins, especially due to the injury of Maric meaning Hampson will be playing as the number 1 ruckman for the next 6-8 weeks.

Depth:

Defence Options: 6

Centre Options: 5

Forward Options: 8

Ruck Options: 4

The midfield depth is a bit short, but I feel that bugg will end up being qualified as a midfielder once the first positional additions are out. His ruck and forward stocks are very good, this could well be used to his advantage through trades as rucks are often prone to injury.

Team Overview:

He will be winning marks, score and hit outs most weeks if everything goes according to plan leading to 9 points and only needing 1 point to win the game. Although his midfield is short, Gary Ablett can often carry teams on his back with a 40 disposal 2-3 goal game and he will be hoping Treloar and Stanley to get heaps of the ball for their respective teams.

Potential Keepers:

Ablett

Gunston

Treloar

Bugg

Hoping that Frawley, Dunn and Garland are unable to maintain the key forwards, yet we still win the game.

RPFC:

2nd in league FD, 3rd in league Tackles

Kicks, although he is projected as 10th in the league for kicks, I feel that players like smith, betts, mcdonald and grundy are under valued in this area, pushing his kick stats up to possibly 4th or 5th in the league.

Depth:

Defence Options: 4

Centre Options: 11

From my view his backline depth is the only issue, with Luke mcdonald probably getting the run ahead of grundy, he could struggle with any issues such as suspension or injury, although he has the best defender in the game in Brendan Goddard.

Team Overview:

Another strong midfield team, if toby greene and lenny hayes have solid seasons it makes the choosing the 4 midfield spots very difficult, and armitage was a steal that low in the draft. The only thing that could lead him to trouble is a heavy reliance on the young defender in Luke Mcdonald, although the guy is going to be a jet, may only play 12-14 regular season games in order to keep him in line for finals. Also Dixon may be player of importance for him for his ability to contribute to so many categories.

Potential Keepers:

Goddard

Sidebottom

Mcdonald

Hogan

The guy annoyed at Paul Roos as he chose to play Chris Dawes, Mitch Clark and Dean Kent ahead of Hogan and Jay Kennedy-Harris one week.

R24:

1st in league, tackles and kicks

Handballs, with a large amount of improving midfielders in the team the ball will be in their hands more. He is already projected to have the highest kicking score but I feel that 5th for handballs is too low and will increase throughout the season.

Depth:

Defence Options: 8

Centre Options: 12

Forward Options: 3

Ruck Options: 1

His midfield and backline are very well provided, but the fact that there are only 3 possible forwards and 1 possible ruckman leads to the biggest depth issue. If ryder is injured, the team will struggle, luckily his C/F are quite durable players, so far.

Team Overview:

Very midfield and defence reliant, but lots of his players are younger players in their first few years. This sets him up really well in a keeper position but also in a position that the projected stats will underrate a few of his players. A massive coup for him this year will be Mckenzie playing more time in the midfield allowing him to gain dual position status. A very strong tackling team, and he will be hoping to take out kicks and tackles most weeks. Barlow is probably the most underrated uf player, can kick goals and tackles well.

Potential Keepers:

Heppell

Barlow

Kolodjashnij

Neale

He will be the guy constantly asking for the scores from other games, checking disposals on the afl app.

Range Rover:

2nd in hitouts, 4th in marks

Both the kicks and handballs projected categories seem to be under estimated by the ultimate footy team. With players like selwood only having 24, gaff 19 and zaharakis 22. His kicks and handballs categories will definitely be higher than 9th and 7th.

Depth:

Centre Options: 12

Forward Options: 5

Multiple midfield options throughout which is the strength to his depth. Injuries to forwards, mids or backs will not put his team under duress and trading or free agents wont be on the agenda unless there is a major injury.

Team Overview:

Disposals, disposals, disposals is how I see this team, with all of the midfielders capable of taking a few marks aswell. Aaron Sandilands staying fit will be a massive help to the side, adding hit outs as a category he would rarely lose to a 1 ruck team. David swallow to become a top 50 UF player this year and liam shiels to put the traitor out of the team due to ripper performances.

Can dustin martin be allowed to have C/F/D for his positions?

Potential Keepers:

Martin

Selwood

Aish

Longer

The only person upset when the news that Dustin Martin was found partying with Daniel Connors yet again.

snomeD:

2nd in takles and FD, 3rd in handballs.

Kicks, a high percentage of midfielders and dual position players in the team which means that his kicks should be higher than 8th on the list. Probably hoping for mumford to have more than 3 kicks a game!

Depth:

Defence Options: 3

Centre Options: 15

Ruck Options: 2

The multiple options to run through his midfield means that injury troubles up forward and in the guts will not effect his team. But having an injury to terlich or Mitchell will definitely hinder his performance. Rischitelli will probably get C/F status eventually giving him more options.

Team Overview:

A good mix of young future keeper options and also younger players who should be pushing up to the top 50 players in the league. Zorko and Bennell will benefit from more midfield time, leading to more disposald and Patty Dangerfield is the number one forward in the competition (possibly by the end of the year number one player, even though I hate him so much). Coniglio, Wright and Rischitelli mean selection dilemmas ahead of Mclean, and there is nothing worse than having better performing players on the bench instead of on the field.

Potential Keepers:

Dangerfield

Bennell

Coniglio

Daniher

The person most annoyed by terlich running himself into trouble and the only supporter not to boo mclean.

Edited by Mad_Melbourne
  • Like 1

Final instalment

I Luv Tingay:

1st in FD

Tackles, I feel that a lot of his players will lay more tackles than what is suggested, and caddy and carazzo are tackling machines usually. This category is one that currently he is 10th in the league, but I feel like this is not an accurate assessment by the projected stats.

Depth:

Centre Options: 9

Again as has been the case defence has the least options for this team but the midfield is deep. Although not from dual position players but mainly flat midfielders. Hopefully Leunberger can be injury free and as Zac Smith wont be rushed back by gold coast.

Team Overview:

Leunberger could well be the best ruckman in the game by the end of the season, if he remains injury free. A strong midfield and the forward line with goal kicking options, but also players who can attract more of the footy instead of just a lump who kicks goals but only had 6 touches. Westhoff may well be a top 20 player by the end of the year if he can continue to rack up good disposal numbers and hit the scoreboard and address his inconsistency issues. I hate Harry O’Brian.

Potential Keepers:

Pendlebury

Westhoff

Caddy

Mayes

Be the guy in a port jumper hoping boak, butcher and westhoff kill it

Scarlett:

4th in Hitouts and FD

Handballs, coming in at 13th with the handball but having a team which consists of some genuine inside midfielders doesn’t make sense. This is the same with the tackle stat, projected stats are very odd, but I think that tackles and handballs are definitely going to be the top categories for scarlett.

Depth:

Centre Options: 10

I haven’t really looked into the injury list or suspension list but he has a lot of + next to his players, the problem is the four defenders as he will be two players short for round 1 if they aren’t playing! Midfield depth is apparent and look to all be on the improve aswell.

Team Overview:

Midfield is a highlight, with lots of these inside midfielders my favourites to watch, most notably Rory Sloane and this is definitely the strength of the team. Drew Petrie and Mayne will also help with the scoring side of things and accuracy aswell due to Mayne finding it impossible to miss a set shot. Defence is the area which it is most shallow, but having everyone back from injury it makes for a strong team.

Hoping to see toumpas pushing for selection ahead of shiel, but probably get dual position status mid season.

Potential Keepers:

Sloane

Christiansen

Toumpas

Shiel

The guy hurling abuse at the fan calling toumpas soft, probably sitting on the north side of the mcg.

Galahs:

3rd in FD, 4th in marks

Kicks and Handballs, although in the predicted categories at the moment he sits 6th and 4th his midfield has such strong depth that this is a bit of a lie. Highlighted by Watts predicted 8 kicks a game. Hit outs also especially with Dawson Simpson (IMO) going to be the number 1 ruck at geelong for round 1 at least.

Depth:

Forward Options: 6

An even spread of mids and forwards and backs, providing injury cover, the midfield depth will lead to some headaches on the Saturday morning or Friday night depending on when he is locking the team in, due to the amount of first team players that can run throught those 4 midfield positions.

Team Overview:

A lot of quality midfielders here, but more importantly a lot of midfielders that will play week in week out. He will be hoping the midfield move works wonders for wattsy as that will help with his disposal figures. A side which is dominated by Melbourne players usually has not done well in ultimate footy, but now with the high possession game style this could be the year to have as many as possible (especially on the back of watts, jones and trengoves pre season.) Every year Stephen hill is said to be ready to explode, and he could well be putting himself ahead of Danyl Pearce this year.

Potential Keepers:

Cotchin

Kennedy

Matera

Lynch

The person heavily encouraging watts and jones to continue running past for the cheap stat of a free kick or mark.

Wreckers:

2nd in Handballs, 3rd in FD

Kicks, there is a clear preference for his players to kick the football, lots of them doing more of the outside midfield stuff. Although he is ranked 5th for kicks, could see this being a key area that he will be aiming at week in week out.

Defence Options: 3

Centre Options: 11

Forward Options: 10

3 defenders leaves the depth in this area uite short, although all 3 defenders played basically every game last year, meaning it would not have been an issue for him. Has a love for the dual position centre/forwards.

Team Overview:

Strength through disposal numbers in the front and mid levels of the ground, not a particularly high scoreboard side, but kicks, handballs and tackles will be the goal from players spending large amount of time through the midfield. An injury free Higgins and Rioli could be the two players that really push this team into the final 8 as they are both capable of score board and decent disposal numbers. Surprise pick of the draft Dean Towers, interesting to see whether he gets a game (maybe some inside word here.)

Potential Keepers:

Steven

Beams

Crouch

O’rourke

The guy genuinely happy when deledio rips us a new one as usual.

Hurricanes:

3rd in FD

Score, he is currently sitting 9th on his score, but his forward line has huge fire power and his midfielders are good for 1-2 goals a game. This means that the predicted 59 is probably a bit under the odds especially with a fit Taylor Walker.

Marks with his defenders having a penchant for intercept marks and key marking forwards his marks are likely to increase from 10th on the predicted charts.

Depth:

Defence Options: 5 (1 is jail bait)

Pretty standard spread of players, with most of the players being one position players which only limits the possibilities of the team he can play not his depth, but has plenty of cover for each position.

Team Overview:

Another team with a good mix of developing players that will continue to improve, already established players and power forwards. Darling, Walker and Podsiadly will provide the team with a high score and mainly kick the football as well. Hoping everyone can come back from injury and stay on the track will be important for the teams development. Probably has a spare key forward that could attract a trade if all 4 are on the park.

Potential Keepers:

Griffin

Thompson

Viney

Wines

May not be at many games, but down in echuca on the river with wines and viney.

OMR:

1st in score, 2nd in tackles, 3rd in kicks

Kicks, would only be third in kicks because of Sucklings projected stats.

Hit outs, Minson will usually beat most other one ruckmen ran sides.

Depth:

A decent spread for the team, the only place it could be found short is in the ruck stocks if minson gets injured or suspended, as I doubt Daw will play much. Several key forwards mixed with a few more possession getting forwards which is why the forward line is so strong.

Team Overview:

In the forward half there are developing youngsters but also some important key position players. Although reports are that Sylvia is in doubt for round 1 due to form, if he is able to produce the form we know he is capable of in a better team it adds to the dynamic of this forward line. The midfield is probably one of the strongest and when Swallow returns the midfield choice is going to be tough. Defenders could be the weakest point but if Frawley plays as a rebounding defender again this team will be hard to stop.

Potential Keepers:

Swan

Hannebery

Boyd

Patton

The guy annoyed when Frawley is asked to play a lock down role on Nick Riedwolt.

7_UP:

1st in %, 1st in FD, 1st in Hitouts

Score, he is only 13th, but with the amount of key forwards in the line up the score will be much higher, Waite, Pavlich and Cox can all hit the scoreboard.

Tackles, he is fourth for tackles, but Liberatore, Ward and Selwood will keep the tackle number up week in week out.

Depth:

Centre Options: 7

Probably the strongest ruck line up, once maric returns especially. Otten might be a player to keep an eye out as if he plays forward could chip in for a couple goals. Injury cover all over the field, with depth in each position.

Team Overview:

The ruck strength of this team is probably the strongest in the league, especially seeing as Cox can end up with numbers of a rover. The midfield has depth and is ridiculously strong with the first 4 being in the top 70 of ultimate footy. Hoping his forward half are able to all stay fit/not suspended as they all missed significant time last season and even over the preseason, as there is an obvious difference with a player like Puopolo on the field instead of Goodes or Pavlich.

Jake Melksham was my smokey of the draft and I put him off by one pick and it meant you picked him up, I think he could be a top 70 ultimate footy player by the end of the year.

Potential Keepers:

Liberatore

Selwood

Ellis

The person frustrated when Jarrad Grant doesn’t get picked due to poor form and Crameri playing solidly.

M_M:

2nd in Score, 2nd in %, 4th in FD

Score and kicks are my best categories, but im hoping due to the way the midfield plays now days I can get a few marks aswell.

Depth:

Defence Options: 7

I was conscious of forward and back depth this season, mainly with dual position players as I was often without a good player to play in a position last season.

Team Overview:

My backline is pretty strong, but because of this I didn’t use any of my early picks on plain midfielders which could be my downfall. I took a bit of a punt on Duncan early, but I am hoping he is the big improver for the year and crashes into the top 50. Have 3 talls and other mid/fwds, if Clark is fit it will add to my selection problems as I think I only really want to play 2 tall forwards.

Potential Keepers:

Franklin

Duncan

Hombsch

Im the bloke who has way too much time on his hands

So my boss will officially hate me after i have spent my 8 hour shift organising tables on the stats and ranking them from 1-16 whilst checking out everyones list.

I have established that it looks to be a competitrive season this year but like the AFL season, the premier from last year has performed well during the preseason and despite a few player movements look quite strong leading into the season.

• Like 1

Seems to be a big improvement this year with draft night strategies. Most coaches seem to have gone with a plan and somewhat stuck to it which is why everyone was happy with their squads. Only time will tell how good the strategic planning has been. Who is the Paul Roos/Ross Lyon type and who is the Mark Neeld/Michael Voss type coach - will the teams be cohesive or will they fall apart at the seams?

Fun for all :-)

MM mate, in depth analysis if ever there was one. Come work for me!

Had to laugh at this...:

So my boss will officially hate me after i have spent my 8 hour shift organising tables on the stats and ranking them from 1-16 whilst checking out everyones list.

MM mate, in depth analysis if ever there was one. Come work for me!

Had to laugh at this...:

Haha I wish I could find a job that easy, applied for 23 once I got my bachelors and decided that I will just do my masters!

Only realised that I left the documents up on the work computer, hopefully the boss doesn't check it haha

Haha I wish I could find a job that easy, applied for 23 once I got my bachelors and decided that I will just do my masters!

Only realised that I left the documents up on the work computer, hopefully the boss doesn't check it haha

Two coaches that need to be congratulated IMO.

The Manager Jarka - sincere thanks and an unbelievable effort to co ordinate this for us.

MM - fantastic after draft summation...- only issue- you gave me Masten and he will kick butts.

Agree with OMR, he will be hard to beat.....but I will kick his butt.

Edited by jayceebee31
  • Like 1

Two coaches that bed to be congratulated IMO.

The Manager Jarka - sincere thanks and an unbelievable effort to co ordinate this for us.

MM - fantastic after draft summation...- only issue- you gave me Masten and he will kick butts.

Agree with OMR, he will be hard to beat.....but I will.

Masten was my best mid last year, but i thought he would slip further in the draft, enjoy him he will be a 2 goal 25 touch player this year, me thinks

Masten was my best mid last year, but i thought he would slip further in the draft, enjoy him he will be a 2 goal 25 touch player this year, me thinks

As long as I kick OMR's BUTT I will be happy...Top4 team again....

Love your pre-season bravado JCB........

Agree with your sentiments my friend, both Jarka & MM

Amazing efforts & have both ensured season 2014 is off to a flyer..

As for kicking my butt....... Give it your best shot.........

Extremely happy with my bounty on draft night......

Back to Backs on the agenda............

Love your pre-season bravado JCB........

Agree with your sentiments my friend, both Jarka & MM

Amazing efforts & have both ensured season 2014 is off to a flyer..

As for kicking my butt....... Give it your best shot.........

Extremely happy with my bounty on draft night......

Back to Backs on the agenda............

The only person whom your kidding is yourself....( back to back) - you will be lucky to make the finals...only decent signing ,is my boy...WIL !

Just wait till you play me...I will smack you like you have never had before...

BUT....hope you do make finals....just to make me have an easier run through.....

Yep...but when I get my full team going, he will end up as my centre emergency.Good handy emergency ..better than Thomas but I will trade you Masten for someone decent...maybe one of your forwards - Franklin or a mid...Bartel....

Edited by jayceebee31

Am I right that we can't make any changes before next week's second half of round 1?

I beleive that's correct. I personally wouldn't mind if we were able to make changes up to the first Saturday game so that we could see Sunday's finalised teams (not that it would make a difference this week)

Amazingly - now he is one of my boys - my dislike of Monfries has massively dissipated. Maybe I just had him tainted by the bombers brush - now he's a magpie or power person or whatever the Port Adelaidians are called these days he seems ok as a bloke.

Mind you 16 kicks tonight hasn't hurt my new found love tonight either :-)