• Fitzpatrick

Left after half hour:

• Clarke
  • Hogn
  • Grimes
  • Evans
  • Blease
  • Gawn

Rest all got into it pretty hard. It's amazing to see the intensity lift when Roos walks up to observe each separate group. He ran the in-close handball drill and was revving them all up pretty hard. Told them Garland and Frawley were instructed to take them out with the pads and their job was to protect the ball carrier at all costs and not let those 2 big-guys get near their team-mate.

Really inspiring stuff when he yell sat them all, they appear to all relish his comments and encouragement.

Observations:

Kennedy-Harris is silky smooth and super quick. he also approached Roos on more than one occasion to get his feedback on a set play - like him a lot.

Vince was really classy in the drills and twice got praised at full voice by Roos

Watts is being watched and revved up really closely by George Stone, maybe to make him earn a mid-field spot. He spoke to him twice at close quarters

Cross looks and sounds like our captain out there, he is an absolute machine and guys like Salem and Toumpas were deferring to him quite a bit in the drills

Howe and McDonald really train hard and get down on themselves when they make even a small skill error - I think Roos liked what he saw as he gave them both a good back-slap as they went past

They Need a coffee cart at Gosch's and take a folding chair if you head in,

ta

thanks

much appreciated

please keep em coming

country people need your reports

like like like

ps.cant do anything about a coffee cart

maybe take half a D with you next time,or look for biffs sly grog shop out of the boot of his car

Edited by jazza

I was there this morning from about 9.45 to 10.40 first time this preseason.

First thing was I struggled to recognize a number of the new players.

However from brief visit there seemed to be a higher intensity than last season.

From my view the normal good players like Jones and Garland were good trainers no surprise I guess.

Just a few observations

- Viney is the perfect build for an inside Mid, Low centre of gravity, strong thighs and broad across the hips. He looks a lot stronger than last season.

-Garland was encouraging a couple of the younger / new players. Looked every bit a captaincy candidate to me.

- Mcdonald seemed to be used as a forward in quite a few of the drills.

- Nicholson and Bail still cannot hit the side of a barn with there kicking, with Pedersen not far behind.

- Fitzpatrick was grabbing everything that came near him, impressed me.

- Blease arrived just as I was leaving.

Overall there looked to be way more urgency in the training than recent times.

I was there for the first hour - missing today from what I saw:

• Trengove
  • Dawes
  • Byrnes
  • Tyson
  • Dunn
  • Tapscott
  • Jamar
  • Fitzpatrick
Left after half hour:
  • Clarke
  • Hogn
  • Grimes
  • Evans
  • Blease
  • Gawn
Rest all got into it pretty hard. It's amazing to see the intensity lift when Roos walks up to observe each separate group. He ran the in-close handball drill and was revving them all up pretty hard. Told them Garland and Frawley were instructed to take them out with the pads and their job was to protect the ball carrier at all costs and not let those 2 big-guys get near their team-mate.

Really inspiring stuff when he yell sat them all, they appear to all relish his comments and encouragement.

Observations:

Kennedy-Harris is silky smooth and super quick. he also approached Roos on more than one occasion to get his feedback on a set play - like him a lot.

Vince was really classy in the drills and twice got praised at full voice by Roos

Watts is being watched and revved up really closely by George Stone, maybe to make him earn a mid-field spot. He spoke to him twice at close quarters

Cross looks and sounds like our captain out there, he is an absolute machine and guys like Salem and Toumpas were deferring to him quite a bit in the drills

Howe and McDonald really train hard and get down on themselves when they make even a small skill error - I think Roos liked what he saw as he gave them both a good back-slap as they went past

They Need a coffee cart at Gosch's and take a folding chair if you head in,

Good report but nothing to report re the lycra situation at training?

Overall there looked to be way more urgency in the training than recent times.

I couldn't fault the intensity or application last year at all. I reckon it's a myth they're training harder. But they do look a lot happier and ebullient. The training is also smarter, because much of the fitness is from the harder running during the training. So if you're meaning that from an intensity point of view then I agree.

The training intensity under both Roos and Neeld is light year ahead of the Bailey regime.

Saw a few lycra types. Steered clear. Not sure if you can trust em.

I stuck to the fence, watching with Rog.

Got there about 9:45 and left approx 11:15.

I watched what I'd term the "half-forward development group" first up, who were working in the F50.

There were 2 other groups going that I didn't get over to see.

This group consisted of Salem, JKH, Bail, Tapscott, Howe, Westrupp, Max King, Gergiou.

Maybe a few others I can't recall.

Essentially had 2 cones, or was a 2 man drill.

First cone had a player start about 10m closer to goal than true CHF, and lead hard at a coach kicking the ball for them to mark pretty much dead on 50. The player had to mark, then quickly turn and go, kicking to the other cone at the top of the square, where the 2nd player would be in a 1v1 contest with Brad Miller. The 1st player had to follow their kick and crumb or receive the handball around the top of the square and snap a goal. Then repeat.

More than anything, this drill seemed designed to make the players switch on to following up their kicks, and practice holding ground, protecting the dropzone in a 1v1 contest.

JKH and Salem pleasantly surprised me with their ability overhead, and quickness.

Max King reminds me of Fitzy when he was drafted.

Agile, quite a bit awkward, but ultimately not as fast and more polished skills.

Georgiou has a bloody awkward kick. Not tall either. About the same size as Strauss.

Westrupp has a long way to go, especially with his kicking. At the moment it's about as good as Georgiou's.

After that the groups joined together for some main drills and running.

Bit of a 3man weave handball within a tight space on the wing, with pressure in the form of "opponents" with bags.

When the whistle was blown, the bloke with the ball had to burst free and kick long to approx true CHF.

Big Spencer was up my end, and works hard, but is best with his leads when the kicker makes him work to get to the ball.

Could go harder.

Will post more as it comes to mind.

Happy to try to answer questions.

I couldn't fault the intensity or application last year at all. I reckon it's a myth they're training harder. But they do look a lot happier and ebullient. The training is also smarter, because much of the fitness is from the harder running during the training. So if you're meaning that from an intensity point of view then I agree.

The training intensity under both Roos and Neeld is light year ahead of the Bailey regime.

That probably covers it BH I always find it difficult to judge things at training because it is just that Training.

Forgot to merntion Toumpas seemed to covering ground faster than I remember during his training last season.

Gawn was leaving when I got there and returned just as I was leaving so no idea how he went today or if he was on the field after I left.

I'd say exactly the same, based on what I saw last year and today.

The guys just seem to be enjoying what they are doing, without stuffing around.

Also don't agree with those who seem to think we'll be a lot better than most expect.

Based on what I saw today, although the wind was atrocious, the ball wasn't exactly humming around the track, and I'd expect quite a few honest workmanlike performances that lack the class to pull out a win.

Michie is one I'm not sure on.

Physically he seems good, skills are there, but I wonder about upstairs.

I thought he took the wrong option a couple of times, and thought a little slow.

thanks all

Havent go to a training since last( this season ) but it all makes for interesting reading

It would seem at long last we are being taught how to play footy, smart footy, AFL level smart footy

halelujah!!

That probably covers it BH I always find it difficult to judge things at training because it is just that Training.

Forgot to merntion Toumpas seemed to covering ground faster than I remember during his training last season.

Gawn was leaving when I got there and returned just as I was leaving so no idea how he went today or if he was on the field after I left.

Yes, Toumpas covered the ground really well.

Running a lot better than last year, was very pleased with that.

His kicking as always was a pleasure to watch, even in the wind.

Saw Gawn running 300s or 400s with Tyson for about 15 mins.

Didn't see either do anything else.

thanks all

Havent go to a training since last( this season ) but it all makes for interesting reading

It would seem at long last we are being taught how to play footy, smart footy, AFL level smart footy

halelujah!!

bb I have been to training when we have been playing finals and when we won two games a year.

As you know we always look good playing ourselves.

It is when we front up in games against our competitors that we find out our real worth.

From the changes we have made since August 2013 and watching today I find it hard to believe we will not be better than 2013.

Is that 3 wins or 10?

Little idea at this point, ask me again at the end of May 2014

Yes, Toumpas covered the ground really well.

Running a lot better than last year, was very pleased with that.

His kicking as always was a pleasure to watch, even in the wind.

Saw Gawn running 300s or 400s with Tyson for about 15 mins.

Didn't see either do anything else.

When you watch Toumpas kick and then compare him to Nicholson and Bail it is like night and day.

On average I thought the kicking today was better than in the past.

bb I have been to training when we have been playing finals and when we won two games a year.

As you know we always look good playing ourselves.

It is when we front up in games against our competitors that we find out our real worth.

From the changes we have made since August 2013 and watching today I find it hard to believe we will not be better than 2013.

Is that 3 wins or 10?

Little idea at this point, ask me again at the end of May 2014

Old, did you happen to notice Byrnes training at all? I think it was mentioned higher up that they didn't see him, but thought I'd throw it out there.

We talk about our need for a small forward. Byrnes will be one player that benefits from having minimal stints in the middle, and actually having tall forwards to crumb off. While I'm interested in JKH's development in 2014, and to hopefully see what Barry is capable of, I also think that Byrnes is our best small forward for 2014 so am keen to hear how he's going on the track.

Edit - Byrnes will have minimal stints, not none (as per my original post)

Edited by billy2803

Really liked the look of both Salem and JKH today.

Salem was precise with his disposal, even in the conditions, ran hard and got in the right spots.

The ball explodes off his foot, covers ground a lot quicker than the kicks of most others.

Will take time though. I'm not sure I'd expect him to play too many games in 2014.

He needs physical development and inexperience found him out a few times.

Cross pushed him off a kick at one stage, and then Vince lost him with a spin when they were opposed in a competitive drill.

Almost looked like they were targeting him, to make him learn.

I've got no problem with that, and Salem will be a great player, but I think he needs to build his body and learn a lot of tricks from the old dogs first.

JKH to me looks a lot better than his draft position would suggest.

Looks the quickest bloke on our list, and could play as a FP from round 1.

Had no trouble covering the ground at all. Skills were great. Didn't see him miss a snap at goal.

At one stage an errant handball went straight at his feet as he was moving with pace.

He cleanly collected it off his bootlaces and recovered, righting himself and bursting away, moving the ball on, quicker than if he had have given it to one of his gawking teammates nearby.

Reminds me a lot of Michael Walters, but without the initial commitment/work ethic issues.

I liked the way he was yelling support to players doing the drills and he was taken out to run 200s along the boundary.

It belied his youth and incredibly short time he's been at the club.

Seems like he'll be a strong leader.

Also ran down harms in a great tackle. Will apply great F50 pressure.

When you watch Toumpas kick and then compare him to Nicholson and Bail it is like night and day.

On average I thought the kicking today was better than in the past.

I did too, and told a channel 10 reporter as much when he asked me.

For the next 5 mins even the best kicks were missing targets.

That wind was horrible.

Bail and Nicholson frustrate me.

While we need players of their fitness level to pull others along in the running, their skills make drills run a lot less smoothly.

The kicks of theirs that bit targets are often those that a teammate has to sit under for 2 seconds before it reaches them.

Otherwise they're backtracking. Hitting a teammate in stride seems to be a foreign notion.

I think they are on borrowed time.

Old, did you happen to notice Byrnes training at all? I think it was mentioned higher up that they didn't see him, but thought I'd throw it out there.

We talk about our need for a small forward. Byrnes will be one player that benefits from having minimal stints in the middle, and actually having tall forwards to crumb off. While I'm interested in JKH's development in 2014, and to hopefully see what Barry is capable of, I also think that Byrnes is our best small forward for 2014 so am keen to hear how he's going on the track.

Edit - Byrnes will have minimal stints, not none (as per my original post)

Byrnes was not there billy, well if he was I did not see him.

I have a low opinion of him so was I was not looking for him, but I am confident he was not there.

I did too, and told a channel 10 reporter as much when he asked me.

For the next 5 mins even the best kicks were missing targets.

That wind was horrible.

Bail and Nicholson frustrate me.

While we need players of their fitness level to pull others along in the running, their skills make drills run a lot less smoothly.

The kicks of theirs that bit targets are often those that a teammate has to sit under for 2 seconds before it reaches them.

Otherwise they're backtracking. Hitting a teammate in stride seems to be a foreign notion.

I think they are on borrowed time.

They both seem to have an interesting skill.

They seem to be able to pass the ball half a metre in front of the intended recipient.

For those interested the AFL phone App has a report on this morning's training session. (There is also a report on Trengove.)