Dean Terlich - Good player or defensive liability?

Arrow

apologies, yes, it is 24 games - in a way that is worse though, he had such minimal impact I didn't even notice the other 18 games!

Like I said, you haven't been paying enough attention.

You've not even noticed his elite kicking, which sticks out like dogs balls.

I think Strauss will own the spot many would be thinking belongs to Terlich.

I agree, but I think it's more wishful than anything.

Strauss is stronger, a better disposal and much more defensive. He doesn't have the offensive drive that terlich has (which is a problem if he plays vfl because he doesn't rack up massive numbers and makes it hard to bring him in), but I feel he is a hell of a lot better in the small defender role!

Here's hoping to a full preseason and 100% fitness.

Well it's actually 24 games but don't worry about that.

In his first year he did his shoulder and didn't play a significant part of the year having had an ankle injury leading into the season.

In his second year he was played too early and lost confidence playing most of his time in the VFL. Not unusual for a second year player.

In his third year he played regularly in the second half of the season before the horrendous injury to his leg which impacted him through his 4th year.

In his 4th and 5th year he was coached by Neeld.

I think he's shown a bit. A bit. I think there is a good chance he'll succeed if someone shows some faith in him. He's a kid that needs development and support, he needs the confidence of the FD. For the first time since his leg injury he'll have that. He's got some good attributes. I don't know if he will make it but as I said above, you wouldn't want to judge him on his last 2 years and before that he had a shocking time with injury.

He's soft.

Agree with BH. He doesn't like the hard stuff. He is not instinctive and is caught in "no man's land" far too often. I've seen nothing to indicate he can impact games.

It may well be a confidence thing but I've seen enough of him to believe his upside is minimal and others will and should pass him by.

So most think Terlich is lacking in defensive skills.

Compared to who else in our Finals Contending side?

Hopefully everyone's skills will improve under the new coaches and their game plan.

I wouldn't write off anyone at this stage.

Let us get another Pre-season under their belt with a new coach with a game plan.

Saying Terlich's decision making and disposal is suspect is extremely harsh, the real problem was further up field, with players not working hard enough to make themselves a viable target. If Roos can improve the players desire to work hard for their teammates, disposal and decision making will improve dramatically, not just from Terlich but from a host of others whose disposal is constantly questioned.

Have seen this at training with Roos picking up on poor positioning and leading by players rather than those who are trying to pass the ball to said players ( Fitzy is one who springs to mind )

Posters seem to only comment on Terlich's decision making when on the offensive, with room for forgiveness given our midfield woes etc. I would argue his defensive decision making is equally shite. He's routinely in a quandary about whether to go for the footy or defend his man and gets stuck in no man's land and is out of the contest.

I agree with all his positives but his decision making is rubbish. Interestingly, IIRC, Roos (in special comments role) said of Terlich something to the effect - 'Geez, I'd love to teach this guy how to tighten up' or 'see this guy tighten up' - which to me translated as - he has a bit to offer if this part of his game can be sorted.

On 2013 form, I can't see him in the 2014 best 25 players.

His attack on the ball is outstanding.

His tackling and defensive pressure is very, very good.

His kicking is OK.

His decision making is really bad. Very rarely does he take 1st option, and by the time he takes option 2 pr 3, he is pressured or the other options have closed up.

His forward of the pack running is good, but his decision making is so poor, he is often having to sprint back to find his now-free player.

Clisby ahead of him a the moment, however it is only Terlich's first year. Another preseason may wipe put most of these errors.

And what exactly did you see in Clisby :rolleyes:. Some of you people are absolutely hilarious. Do you think Dane Rampe was shite too?

I suspect the only person currently associated with the MFC, whether they be a player, a supporter or a member of staff, who wasn't absolutely over the moon with excitement on the announcement of Roos as our senior coach would've been Dean Terlich.

Could be wrong though. Obviously.

Edited by Ron Burgundy

I suspect the only person currently associated with the MFC, whether they be a player, a supporter or a member of staff, who wasn't absolutely over the moon with excitement on the announcement of Roos as our senior coach would've been Dean Terlich.

Could be wrong though. Obviously.

I think you're wrong.

Dean Terlich played well enough under two different coaches this year to complete a successful debut season at the MFC and finished third in the Keith 'Bluey' Truscott Medal. If Roos is doing his job properly then he will build on the strengths he showed as a player during the year and seek to rectify the weaknesses in his game. Terlich should therefore be delighted to have Roos on board to provide him with the necessary challenges he needs to improve as a player.

In the end, its up to the player himself and only a fool would blame the coach for his lack of progress.

This is a prevailing attitude towards Strauss, but I believe it is an obsolete one formed years ago and he has since matured, finding a hard edge.

I'll sit in between. He's definitely more confident on the field, not sure about a hard edge though.

Would be good to have both Terlich and Strauss fighting nail and tooth for a BF position.

This is a prevailing attitude towards Strauss, but I believe it is an obsolete one formed years ago and he has since matured, finding a hard edge.

Do you mean way back when he was composing Vienese waltzes??

Now that post-season training is officially upon us, we can move the debate from unknown commodities to the 'known' footballers.

Dean has been a very interesting proposition for me; on a statistics level he was incredible, his offensive ability is clear, he nearly averaged 20 touches a game, from the top of my head ranked 4th in possessions playing in a back pocket and finished with a best first year player, along with 3rd in the BNF. To the supercoach football fan, he was amazing.

Now to my concerns, I see Dean as a great 2nd tier footballer. He's far too eager to push forward when staying on his man is the smarter option. He regularly runs forward turns the ball over and see's it go back over his head. His footskills are reasonable, but his decision making is terrible which results in a bad looking kick. He had 55 clangers this year, which playing out of the backline simply isn't good enough. To put it in comparison, Aaron Mullett, North Melbourne's version of our Terlich played an extra 4 games and had 42 clangers. Mullett also kicks out.

I see him having a very minimal role in this year's team. If you could recieve odd's on such a scenario I'm sure they'd be $1.04 for him to play 18+ games given his year, but the unaccountable run off defender I don't see a position for in Roos lineup. In the 18 games he played this year, he was directly responsible for 34 conceded goals. That's an average of 1.89 a game. It's a concern when the small forward of the opposition is almost guaranteed 2 goals a game. To put it in comparison Corey Enright conceded 0.68 a game, and Steven Morris 0.79. Even GWS' Adam Kennedy averaged a better average of 1.59. Rory Laird for Adelaide, another player who played his first AFL game last year was at a low 0.88 goals per game conceded. It's not impossible to do it in a bad team or in your first year.

Furthermore, this also doesn't include when you've turned the ball over, or you've run of your man and other defenders are forced to scatter on the rebound.

Talk to me Demonland, will Turnover Terlich be best 22 next year.

I completely disagree, he won 3rd best and fairest for a reason. He wins his own ball! And he jumps in and has a crack, takes marks running with the flight of the ball, I'm sure the statistics will tell you he has had so many 'clangers' but define a clanger? If he takes the ball out of a pack and looks to hit up a team mate on the lead and then it's punch out of bounds, or another player drops a mark? That's not his fault..

I think he is a certain starter and will play all games bar fitness, and will look a million times better when he has a midfield running back into defence to give him a chop out.

But I like how you see one of our top 3 players needs to improve on areas like that, because when he does I could see him running through the midfield and killing it!

He's soft.

I see what you are saying but I think the word soft is wrong for him. He's not soft as in Dan Nicholson wont sit under the high ball, wont put his body on the line soft, but more mentally a bit soft. His tackling is an issue as well compared to Terlich who is very good tackler.

If Strauss could average over 20 touches a week then it would hardly matter as he'd then play up the ground and his lack of physical game would go unnoticed.

I certainly think if Strauss gets back in the side he should get a long run at it. He's always struck me as someone who wont ever just burst on to the scene but instead will need games to work away at improving his defending and clawing his way up to AFL game speed. When we continue to pick players prone to turning the ball over or with giant other deficiencies in their games like Dunn I really see no harm in playing Strauss for a good 6 week run at least if he's played good VFL and even anywhere near decent AFL.

I see what you are saying but I think the word soft is wrong for him. He's not soft as in Dan Nicholson wont sit under the high ball, wont put his body on the line soft, but more mentally a bit soft. His tackling is an issue as well compared to Terlich who is very good tackler.

If Strauss could average over 20 touches a week then it would hardly matter as he'd then play up the ground and his lack of physical game would go unnoticed.

I certainly think if Strauss gets back in the side he should get a long run at it. He's always struck me as someone who wont ever just burst on to the scene but instead will need games to work away at improving his defending and clawing his way up to AFL game speed. When we continue to pick players prone to turning the ball over or with giant other deficiencies in their games like Dunn I really see no harm in playing Strauss for a good 6 week run at least if he's played good VFL and even anywhere near decent AFL.

At AFL level there are some very naturally talented players that cannot adjust to the tempo. Or they're serviceable at best due to the high intensity environment. Strauss could look a world beater at training, or intra-club matches, but never look at ease in the home and away. If he could adjust he could become a very good player. Most don't and the odds are stacked against him.

Lindsay Gilbee found a way when he was nearly on the scrap heap for the same reasons. I'd love Strauss to work it out.

These lads had better get a wiggle on and show something as I suspect a ready made replacement is already on board !! :rolleyes:

You're hoping more than believing.

Maybe. A "hard edge" may be overstating it, but I don't think it is justified to now call him "soft."

At AFL level there are some very naturally talented players that cannot adjust to the tempo. Or they're serviceable at best due to the high intensity environment. Strauss could look a world beater at training, or intra-club matches, but never look at ease in the home and away. If he could adjust he could become a very good player. Most don't and the odds are stacked against him.

Lindsay Gilbee found a way when he was nearly on the scrap heap for the same reasons. I'd love Strauss to work it out.

I saw him find a comfort level, and perform admirably immediately before his broken leg.

I also believe he came close to rediscovering this late last season, but it was more difficult in a side that was so uncompetitive.

Needless to say, I've taken an interest in Strauss and watched him closely at times, because I believe he'll be an asset in he back 6 once the rest of the team is performing at an acceptable level.

He'll never be a star, but a good role player capable of providing some cream once we're up & going.

I like his boldness.

But turnovers will lose you your spot (if there are ready replacements) and he needs to get better.

I think Grimes and Toumpas may be moved back and that will make it difficult because I like Clisby more than Terlich.

We will see.

Agreed. But I can't see Terlich keeping his spot and if he does, that spells trouble for our fortunes.

Maybe. A "hard edge" may be overstating it, but I don't think it is justified to now call him "soft."

I saw him find a comfort level, and perform admirably immediately before his broken leg.

I also believe he came close to rediscovering this late last season, but it was more difficult in a side that was so uncompetitive.

Needless to say, I've taken an interest in Strauss and watched him closely at times, because I believe he'll be an asset in he back 6 once the rest of the team is performing at an acceptable level.

He'll never be a star, but a good role player capable of providing some cream once we're up & going.

''Melbourne'' games over the last few years have been about the lowest in intensity imaginable.

I need a lot more convincing, but hope you're right.

I think we'll have an answer before Rd 1, 2014. That broken leg which broke Nathan Brown, plus I think 2 shoulder reconstructions is enough to break someone. I read he's back at preseason drills in the rehab, but tearing up the running groups.

Maybe, beating this injury again will be the confidence boost he needs to stop holding him back. I agree, if he gets his head right, God he could be valuable this year.

As do I.

I see Strauss as a kid with raw tools that would've seen him be another Malceski if drafted by Roos at Sydney.

As it is, we've had a series of monumental f***tards, who have mis-managed Strauss to the point he has made about 40% of the progress he should have made at this stage.

Physically he has developed, skills-wise he has developed.

Although a late developer, he is now mentally mature enough to consistently cope with the intensity of AFL matches.

But mentally he is yearning for some quality teaching & guidance.

I think he can and will be salvaged.

• 3 months later...

He was solid on Saturday.

Also, this goal: http://www.melbournefc.com.au/video/2014-03-22/dean-terlich-running-goal

How often have we seen such clean, crisp movement leading into a goal over the past two seasons?

There's definitely something to work with. Pity they couldn't take the game on similarly throughout the match. Went in their shells a bit.