WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - ALEXIS GEORGIOU

Whispering_Jack

The following text comes from an article in The Advertiser on 4 October with quotes from Nathan Bassett (Georgiou's coach for 4 years, dual SANFL premiership coach, played the odd game for the Crows, & was an MFC recruit himself). Let's just give the Georgiou a chance. Nathan Bassett might know what he's talking about. At least Essendrug think so!?

NATHAN Bassett isn't joking when he says Alex Georgiou is being ignored by AFL scouts because he's too ugly.

The Norwood coach reached the conclusion this year after watching his 23 year old full-back dominate opposition key forwards for the fourth season in a row without generating any significant interest.

"He looks like Mr Bean, he runs like he's running on broken glass and his kick looks awkward," Bassett says.

"But he's such a good defender, he uses the ball well and he makes good decisions.

"The only difference between him and (Power defender) Tom Jonas is Tom is better looking."

Georgiou laughs, but doesn't object, when hearing his coach's description.

He's copped similar good-natured ribbing from people since his childhood days in Cudlee Creek in the Adelaide Hills.

It's strange but the best way to illustrate how Georgiou plays footy is to hear him talk about the way he plays cricket.

"When I bowl, my arms and legs go everywhere but the ball still pitches just outside off every time," said Georgiou, who plays for Lobethal in summer and has won "four or five" A grade premierships.

"I make it look hard coming in but it always lands in the right area."

It's exactly the same when he's in the red and blue of Norwood.

His ball drop isn't smooth and he runs with an awkward gait, but he rarely misses a target and is athletic enough to play on forwards of all sizes.

"Everyone gets stuck into me for being a little bit uncoordinated," Georgiou says.

"I'm not a clumsy guy in general. I don't trip over every time I walk somewhere.

"But maybe in comparison to all these other fluent moving athletes I am a bit unconventional."

Since debuting in 2010, Georgiou has formed the backbone of the Redlegs defence alongside captain Kieran McGuinness.

But it's been all the moving parts around them - players like Jonas, Nick Duigan, Dean Terlich, Paul Puopolo and Luke Brown - who have been handed an opportunity at the highest level.

Georgiou, an engineer at Baulderstone who is currently working on the duplication of the Southern Expressway, is happy with his lot in life and said he only had to look at McGuinness and West Adelaide captain Ryan Ferguson to avoid frustration.

"McGuinness is an absolute jet," Georgiou says.

"And Ryan Ferguson has got to be the most unlucky footballer not to play more AFL."

But that doesn't mean he's given up on his AFL dream.

Puopolo created headlines while at Norwood in 2010 when he claimed he had the ability to shutdown any AFL small forward, including Eddie Betts and Stephen Milne.

Georgiou isn't as brash, but has similar confidence.

"I'd love to play AFL football," he says.

"I didn't really think it was achievable until around the end of 2010 when there was a little bit of talk about it because I was only 20 and I'd played in a Grand Final.

"But I still kind of thought I was no chance.

"Then you play another season and you play on guys like Lewis Johnston and Jack Gunston - who was almost best on in an AFL Grand Final and I kept him under control relatively comfortably...

"And I'm playing alongside guys like Lewis Stevenson and Tom Jonas and without sounding cocky I think I could play a similar role.

"I've seen Tommy Jonas do a role on Jack Riewoldt. Tom's an excellent footballer but I think if he can do a role, maybe I'm not that far off the mark.

"Maybe I'm not quite as skilful as them but as a defender I think I can match them."

Georgiou has been so effective in recent seasons he can easily name the times he's conceded more than two goals in a game.

The first time was on debut - when Sturt's Ryan Herring nailed three - and dual Ken Farmer Medallist Michael Wundke has done it a couple of times.

The only other occasion was in 2011 when former Central District forward Damian Hynes managed four - and you sense Georgiou still hasn't let it go.

That attitude is a major reason why the Redlegs have been the best defensive team in the competition for the past few years and enter tomorrow's Grand Final against North Adelaide having kept their opposition under 60 points for 11 consecutive games.

Georgiou is likely to stand Johnston when he's forward for North but Bassett has the confidence to send him to anyone.

"He can play third tall all the way down to small and at a pinch could play as a second tall at AFL level, like Tom Jonas did when Trengove went down," Bassett said.

"His positioning and the physical contact he puts on the opposition is first-class and he's got elite fitness and good speed and agility.

"In our preseason testing he's always been in the top third of the group.

"He's also an excellent leader, is in our leadership group and has captained our footy club when McGuinness is injured.

"He's a terrific person and he's only 23."

Perhaps. I'm still not sure he'd fill a kp spot in the backline if Frawley went down. I'd be sending Hogan down there if that happened.

Hypotheticals.

Just seems an odd choice if what you're saying is the case. You'd think there'd be a plethora of KP backs out there with great lock down ability as well as better size. But I am merely a demonland poster...

I see him as a depth role player. That's about it.

I'll wait. And see.

With you.

Scratching my head about this one too.

Probably end up winning the B & F.

With Davis and Sellar gone we had zero developing/reserve key position defenders on the list. It's not that much of a mystery to me.

That's the part I have trouble with.

He is at best a third short tall at 188cm.

That's the part I have trouble with.

He is at best a third short tall at 188cm.

Combine the fact we are short on true defensive talls with the likelihood that the recruiters fancied Georgiou above any key defender available and you get the answer.

We've got Pedersen as just a big body and Hogan to CHB for some learning isn't a bad idea if needed.

The way I see it is we've probably got 2 first choice key defenders: Frawley and McDonald. 2 first choice 3rd tall defenders in Garland and Dunn.

That's 4 guys for 3 or 4 spots. If Frawley or McDonald go down then either Pedersen comes in or Garland moves to the second key defender. In that case with Garland playing tall then Georgiou becomes part of the question for the third tall spot.

If either or both Garland or Dunn go down then Georgiou is in line for a spot.

Yeah. And I've seen him listed at 187cm.

I understand he's a great lockdown defender in the SANFL... but come on, it's the SANFL!

It'll be a bit different if we have an injury or 2 and suddenly we need him to defend one of Franklin or Tippett.

Well Sydney are the biggest team of tall forwards likely to stretch a side if they line up with Reid, Tippett, Franklin and Goodes in the one side. But even then I think we'd go with McDonald, Frawley, Garland and Dunn as the first choice options for those 4. If we get one injury then Pedersen comes in. If we get a second injury then yes Sydney might start to stretch us but that's a scenario where Hogan goes back to defense. Any other team we likely bring Georgiou in to cover the type of player that Garland or Dunn had been playing on.

Which is my real concern has nothing to do with his lack of height but much more whether he has the speed and agility to mix it with some of the more dangerous forwards in that 180-190cm range who play close to goal. If he does then he could become a Nick Smith or Steven Morris or even Dale Morris type as a gun shut down player and in terms of discipline and establishing a hard, tough playing group that's a great player to develop a team around.

And as a bonus he can play Didtrict Cricket for Melbourne in the off-season!

With Davis and Sellar gone we had zero developing/reserve key position defenders on the list. It's not that much of a mystery to me.

As others have said Nasher, the bloke is about 187 cm.

I don't care how good a lock down player he is at SANFL level. Put him in place of Frawley playing on Franklin or Tippet and all they'll have to do is stand there, put their hands to the sky and the ball is in them.

Sure there are KP backs like Gibson and Grundy who stand around the 190cm mark, but they are built like raging bulls and use their frames to amazing effect.

Georgiou is nowhere near the size of those two.

Anyway, I'm ranting on without having seen a single match of his so I'll stop. But I disagree that he was brought in as backup for someone like Frawley.

Edited by stevethemanjordan

As others have said Nasher, the bloke is about 187 cm.

I don't care how good a lock down player he is at SANFL level. Put him in place of Frawley playing on Franklin or Tippet and all they'll have to do is stand there, put their hands to the sky and the ball is in them.

Sure there are KP backs like Gibson and Grundy who stand around the 190cm mark, but they are built like raging bulls and use their frames to amazing effect.

Georgiou is nowhere near the size of those two.

Anyway, I'm ranting on without having seen a single match of his so I'll stop. But I disagree that he was brought in as backup for someone like Frawley.

Now you are touching on one of my 'stones' - you can't replace your best players.

Whether it is Fitzpatrick playing back, Dunn trying, or Giorgiou asked to do a job - you can't repalce what Frawley gives you.

Maybe all they wanted was a good one-on-one defender for medium to tall forwards who could play in 2014.

Frankly, I wouldn't bother with such a distinctly depth player if I was a managing our list but if you are going to go that way - you get the FB for one of the best state league teams and that is what we did...

I started counting but got bored - amazing, though not surprising, that there are so many mere mortal posters here who know, and know they know, more that our professional recruiting and footy management - the 2014 version of course.

That said, he would, if it works out well for him, have to be the shortest star KPD in recent decades.

Edited by monoccular

Would have preferred to Rookie Sellar.

Surely not? How many depth defenders do you need. Last year we had Pedersen, Sellar, Davis and Gillies and how many games did we win through key defensive depth? This year we'll have Pedersen and the option of Hogan down back, plus Garland playing tall (which we used over some of those aforementioned potatoes anyway) and Georgiou can fill in as a medium tall capable of playing deep. That sounds better to me even if Georgiou is no good. But there's always the chance he becomes a dominant mid sized defender in which case who would care than he's not 6'5.

You'd have your heart in your mouth every time he got the ball. His kicking isn't suited to the back-line.

Unusually generous for you Ben. Fitzy's kicking isn't suited anywhere.

In actuality, Fitzy's field kicking was very good this year. I've just re watched a few games without being blinded by preconceptions and was surprised by how effective his field kicking has become. Not pretty but pretty effective.

IIRC Clint Bizzell was 187cm and often beat much bigger blokes.

Fitzy's kicking isn't suited anywhere.

Yep, I agree that is the perception and he was a terrible kick when he came to us. I was very aware of this when he started to play good footy towards the end of last year and was surprised at the effectiveness of his kicking.

I don't want him in the back line and he wouldn't be there for his play making ability but the discussion was around who could go there if we were struck by injury. He could do it.

Edited by Baghdad Bob

I'm not sure height is critical to the role he's likely to play - he won't out mark a tall forward in an even contest, but it doesn't sound like he gets into even contests, being primarily a negater. Up to now he's been a half-time footballer, and it will be interesting to see what happens when he goes full-time.

I started counting but got bored - amazing, though not surprising, that there are so many mere mortal posters here who know, and know they know, more that our professional recruiting and footy management - the 2014 version of course.

That is one effing hell of a caveat you put at the end there.

Up until we plucked Kent, Jones, Terlich, Clisby et al last year this forum would have done a better job of recruitment than those at the Dees...

If you think the way you do - what is there to discuss? The club has done something, club has implied knowledge and wisdom - end discussion.

In actuality, Fitzy's field kicking was very good this year. I've just re watched a few games without being blinded by preconceptions and was surprised by how effective his field kicking has become. Not pretty but pretty effective.

IIRC Clint Bizzell was 187cm and often beat much bigger blokes.

There's a very different kind of pressure to hit targets when you're in the back-line. You're also often afforded far less time to execute and make decisions. His kicking isn't suited to the back-line and nor would it, or his decision making, stand up under the pressure.

There's a very different kind of pressure to hit targets when you're in the back-line. You're also often afforded far less time to execute and make decisions. His kicking isn't suited to the back-line and nor would it, or his decision making, stand up under the pressure.

I think you're being a bit hard on Fitzy. I remember my one and only visit to Casey fields to watch training and Fitzy was subbed on during a match simulation session. I heard him yelling out "Who do I pick up, who do I pick up?" - he didn't have a clue. I watched his first game and simply thought - FMD. However, the improvement shown last year was mind boggling and it leads me to think this guy could be a diamond from the coal mine and capable of far more than we imagine.

• Like 1