MadAsHell

I often click on this thread hoping for some gos on a poential deal for Savage, only to remember that the thread has been Hijacked by talk of trading our Midfield gun / part time ruck/forward, Jack Fitzpatrick to the Hawks

FFS

the link below suggests Carlton and Melbourne are the front-runners for Savage.

http://www.sen.com.au/display-article-2013/Six-clubs-interested-in-Savage/62047

• Like 2

I hope doesn't go to Carlton. I don't want them getting anyone that could help them rise up the ladder. That being said, I don't know why they aren't focusing more on getting forwards when that's their biggest problem!

Pick 23 for Savage & Pick 38, make it happen Dees! Trumps anything Carlton can offer.

Dandenong Stingrays boy from Noble Park, the alingnment with Casey should be rght up his ally!

• Like 1

if Sewell leaves, would the door open wider for Savage to stay ??

if Sewell leaves, would the door open wider for Savage to stay ??

Possibly but I still think the hawks would rather go forward with Simpkin, Hallahan (if Sewell leaves), Woodward, Anderson. Savage still a way down the list.

Possibly but I still think the hawks would rather go forward with Simpkin, Hallahan (if Sewell leaves), Woodward, Anderson. Savage still a way down the list.

TM is he really that far down though ?? Was a bit of perennial bridesmaid but was near enough to there on many occasions

Hes not being pushed out the door either. I think if he now moves it will be very late in the trade period, if at all.

I hope doesn't go to Carlton. I don't want them getting anyone that could help them rise up the ladder. That being said, I don't know why they aren't focusing more on getting forwards when that's their biggest problem!

Carlton have an annoying habit of often getting who they want. Judd and Thomas are two examples.

Despite this, surely we could outbid Carlton given the number of highly paid good players they have and their expensive recruitment of Thomas.

There would also be a more guaranteed permanent midfield position with us, given our weakness in this area.

Savage was very close to playing in Hawthorn's GF team. We need him - so make him an offer he can't refuse.

Pick 23 for Savage & Pick 38, make it happen Dees! Trumps anything Carlton can offer.

Dandenong Stingrays boy from Noble Park, the alingnment with Casey should be rght up his ally!

If we go that trade route, we may as well just let them keep pick 38.

Fairly useless in this year's weak draft.

Don't forget it'll be pushed out later once the FA compo picks are added.

If pick 38 isn't holding up the process, then I'd take it! Viney and co. did a great job with high picks last year, would love to see that again

pick 38 is going to be more use than our current pick 108.

• Like 2

the link below suggests Carlton and Melbourne are the front-runners for Savage.

http://www.sen.com.au/display-article-2013/Six-clubs-interested-in-Savage/62047

Missing out on selection in the GF side must have been the straw that broke the camels back.

If he wants more opportunity to establish himself as a regular midfielder then I would imagine MFC are more attractive than CFC. With the Blues securing Daisy to add to their onball brigade compared to us who have just lost Sylvia and have a real dearth of mids then the decision should be easy for him. Otherwise, he might just end up in a similar boat at Carlton.

• Like 2

I'd be disappointed if anything better than the 3rd round pick was given up for Savage.

I wouldnt. I really think we just have to be up front with ourselves and realise the only way we can beat some of these other clubs is to work to our needs and not to everyone elses valuations.

We need established decent b or B+ types now. No point having a collection of draft picks that wont solve our current gaps.

Id give up the sylvia compo for savage...Consider the swap...sylvia for savage .. notorious underachiever for a premiership clubs top 25 player ?

Pick 38 is actually currently Pick 34, I'm factoring in FA compo picks.

Assuming Collingwood get 11 (Thomas), Hawthorn 19 (Franklin), Carlton 21 (Betts) and us 24 (Sylvia).

Pick 38 will be the final pick of the 2nd round which we can use to land Cameron Giles who I'm really keen on. Especially given the uncertainty around Chip.

Savage will be thinking about the competition at the blues to hold a mid field spot, it will not be easy. He is leaving a very successful club for that reason, so it must give us a slight edge in that regard at least.

I love it. I've waited seven years for our crapness to be our prime advantage!

• Like 3

I'd want both of Savage AND Michie.

If we trade our 3rd round pick for one of them, we'll have to trade a 2nd round pick for the other.

No one is going to take a 4th rounder in this draft.

Although... We may be able to convince Michie to go the PSD route, if he's uncontracted.

Of this I'm not sure.

I'd want both of Savage AND Michie.

If we trade our 3rd round pick for one of them, we'll have to trade a 2nd round pick for the other.

No one is going to take a 4th rounder in this draft.

Although... We may be able to convince Michie to go the PSD route, if he's uncontracted.

Of this I'm not sure.

so ??

Michie most likely will go for a 3rd rounder. Savage will probably need something a bit better and As previously suggested Id happily hand over the Sylvia pick. After all youre then only effectively swapping Col for Shane.!! Wish we could have done that a few seasons ago :rolleyes:

If we stop thinking in terms of picks's valued being what everyone else suggests they are and look to the trading purely from a needs basis and deal accordingly we can be a very effective player. In reality picks are only what you want them to be.

Michie, Savage, Cross...all getable . Sewell would be serious icing, not impossible !!

My thoughts here are governed by the idea that this EOS other than maximising the value of pick 2 our real and prioity need is to bolster the miidfield. Its not a requirement ( absolute) to bolster further more our stocks of kids. We have years to do that and we still have some banked.

Lets use this year to somehow forge something that resembles a AFL team.Do that first,refine and finesse it later

Edited by Belzebubsy
  • Like 1

I love it. I've waited seven years for our crapness to be our prime advantage!

Well, he can pretty much bank a game each week in the midfield for the forseeable future.

Only injury or severly terrible form (probably not) will stop him getting a game each week.

Plus he probably will spend significant time on the ground with us, because he can be rested up forward.

At Carlton he has small forwards and lots of quality mids to compete with (and even moreso now with Thomas going there)

At Melbourne he has zero competition. FFS Shannon Byrnes gets a game every week!

Edited by Jaded

Well, he can pretty much bank a game each week in the midfield for the forseeable future.

Only injury or severly terrible form (probably not) will stop him getting a game each week.

Plus he probably will spend significant time on the ground with us, because he can be rested up forward.

At Carlton he has small forwards and lots of quality mids to compete with (and even moreso now with Thomas going there)

At Melbourne he has zero competition. FFS Shannon Byrnes gets a game every week!

I'm hoping the same thinking will play a role in Cross choosing Melbourne over Carlton.

I'm hoping the same thinking will play a role in Cross choosing Melbourne over Carlton.

I don't really care for Cross as much as I do Savage, who has 6+ years in front of him.

Cross for me is about getting a leader off the field as much as it is getting somebody to bolster our midfield going forward.

But to be honest, I have no idea why somebody like Cross would pick Carlton. He will be behind the pecking order, and they won't win a flag while he's around.

We won't win a flag either, but he can come in and make significant impact at our club and get a game each week. He could probably also take on a coaching/mentoring type role if that's what he was into.