Bombers scandal: charged, <redacted> and <infracted>

Jonesbag

On Footy Classified, Matthew Lloyd made an empassioned plea on behalf of the mental stress of those under the supplements saga. His comments from being close to the EFC were certainly important news. (They certainly made Hutchy look even more ridiculous in regard his callous comments in regard disclosure of the 14 players). However, Lloyd remarkably went onto blame the AFL and ASADA for the delays in closure on this matter. Blind Freddy would know that for the past 8 months the investigation is solely in the hands of ASADA. Caro Wilson corrected Lloyd who did not seem to understand the issue. However the take away from Lloyds comments is that this investigation represents a massive distraction on the players.

Not very smart is Matthew.

Did anyone see 360 last night? Bomber Thompson doesn't sit next to Robbo anymore. The bombers asked if Thompson could be moved away from Robbo. This is getting silly now.

Starting to get a bit like the wrestling now if they expect you to believe this BS

Robbo is their biggest cheerleader.

just between you me and the walls, id have thought that Essendon should be looking after the players mental health and not ASADA or the AFL or the AFLPA or anyone else

I agree I could be mistaken but it was the EFC that got the players into this mess.

As AD said he did not inject anyone.

• Like 1

I agree I could be mistaken but it was the EFC that got the players into this mess.

As AD said he did not inject anyone.

just going through the timeline of events,and many people have said JH is the one releasing a lot of imformation.

i found that a bit "conspiracy" type of hyperbole.

but im now having second thoughts about this.

every time the afl and bombers seem to come to grips with the issue,something blows up in their face.

finally little and the afl come to grips over the problems and hirds team want a deal for the interim.

asada start getting towards the end of the investigation,and another "leak" turns up.

vlad was quite adamant that the afl "didnt" leak the players names .

essendon have no reason to release players names.

asada being a govermnet org,wouldnt dare release the names.

it just seems all arrows point to one person hanging on to glorified pasts.

this will soon be over and vlad will make sure[i didnt inject anybody] JK gets whacked to high heaven.

any body who wants to dig up all the events in chronological order,you can now see where the afl has run its case in accordance with whats come out of bomberland[who have distanced themselves from james] and have acted accordingly.

vlads comments about robbo,hit the mark for what is happeneing and how robbo gets his info and who from.

just between you me and the walls, id have thought that Essendon should be looking after the players mental health and not ASADA or the AFL or the AFLPA or anyone else

Dont think the mental health was a issue for the EFC when they were using the players like pin cushions

• Like 2

I'm not interested in the "legalities" of this case. The law is usually a dope unable to cope with the unlimited number of differing situations that can occur and this is one such time.

I'm very concerned about the health of the injected players. What has been done to them is just dreadful and they are the clear victims.

I hope the players get off. I hope anyone involved in administering the program, those who knew about it, those who sanctioned it, those that turned a blind eye never work in football again and are named and shamed. Little and Hird should never be allowed in an AFL ground again.

I can't understand those people running around wanting to see players punished for their involvement. They have had their lives put at risk by dishonest incompetent fools in whom they understandably put their trust. And yet some want to see them punished further.

It's time for some perspective.

• Like 3

You're not seriously suggesting that they take responsibility for their actions are you???

Why should the players get off?

Professional sports people from other sports seem to get it.

You use, you lose.

• Like 2

I can't understand those people running around wanting to see players punished for their involvement. They have had their lives put at risk by dishonest incompetent fools in whom they understandably put their trust. And yet some want to see them punished further.

Even if you leave aside the issue of individual player responsibility there is a problem with not penalising the players, no matter how much sympathy one might have for the players and the abominable way their club has treated them.

The problem for drug enforcement authorities is that if they don't go after the players, in future players and clubs who did want to cheat could create a similar environment and could use the lack of penalties as a precedent. This could make the idea of cheating less unattractive and so more cheating would result.

However innocent/naive you might think the Essendon players are, there will always be players so desperate to succeed that they will willingly risk their health.

• Like 1

I'm not interested in the "legalities" of this case. The law is usually a dope unable to cope with the unlimited number of differing situations that can occur and this is one such time.

I'm very concerned about the health of the injected players. What has been done to them is just dreadful and they are the clear victims.

I hope the players get off. I hope anyone involved in administering the program, those who knew about it, those who sanctioned it, those that turned a blind eye never work in football again and are named and shamed. Little and Hird should never be allowed in an AFL ground again.

The only perspective one should approach this scandal from is that of every clean athlete who strives to achieve the pinnacle of his or her sport. That is what the world anti doping code is all about.

It's about Raelene Boyle who was deprived of up to four Olympic Gold Medals because we had no power to stop drug cheats in the 60s and 70s.

It's about the weighlifter who finished second to a 16 year old Bulgarian whose coach was solely responsible for administering prohibited substances to a teenager who was unaware of what she was receiving but still had to be stripped of her gold medal.

It's about the purity of sport and about accepting responsibility which is exactly what Tyson Gay and Asafa Powell did when they tested positive last year and accepted with grace their two year suspensions without blaming their coach or (as Shane Warne once famously did) their mother.

Australian sport would suffer a massive blow if players injected with illegal substances of the size and scope and in the manner suggested by the ASADA Interim Report walked away without penalty because the means of identifying what they took had been obliterated by employees or agents of their club.

Unfortunately, our own club is implicated and also subject to investigation and although, it's clear that a programme (if that's what you would call it) was not sponsored by the club, we have to take the medicine if found to have offended against the WADA Code.

There should be no way out for offenders for the sake of those who chose to stay clean and if it were any other way, our sport would quickly become at best a grubby and dirty form of entertainment only with little credibility like the WWE. That's my perspective.

• Like 6

The only perspective one should approach this scandal from is that of every clean athlete who strives to achieve the pinnacle of his or her sport. That is what the world anti doping code is all about.

It's about Raelene Boyle who was deprived of up to four Olympic Gold Medals because we had no power to stop drug cheats in the 60s and 70s.

It's about the weighlifter who finished second to a 16 year old Bulgarian whose coach was solely responsible for administering prohibited substances to a teenager who was unaware of what she was receiving but still had to be stripped of her gold medal.

It's about the purity of sport and about accepting responsibility which is exactly what Tyson [censored] and Asafa Powell did when they tested positive last year and accepted with grace their two year suspensions without blaming their coach or (as Shane Warne once famously did) their mother.

Australian sport would suffer a massive blow if players injected with illegal substances of the size and scope and in the manner suggested by the ASADA Interim Report walked away without penalty because the means of identifying what they took had been obliterated by employees or agents of their club.

Unfortunately, our own club is implicated and also subject to investigation and although, it's clear that a programme (if that's what you would call it) was not sponsored by the club, we have to take the medicine if found to have offended against the WADA Code.

There should be no way out for offenders for the sake of those who chose to stay clean and if it were any other way, our sport would quickly become at best a grubby and dirty form of entertainment only with little credibility like the WWE. That's my perspective.

100% agreement from me and yes we may yet get it in the neck.

I will of course be very annoyed if we lose because there is evidence and the EFC get off because of a lack of it.

The combination of unaproved drugs is also a health worry. In there straight usage it may be unaproved because it causes x but in combination with other unaproved drugs it may cause ???? Some ex cronulla players are suing cronulla for breach of duty of care. One of them was covered in bruises. Thats why they want Dank to tell what he gave them.

btw ln supercoach terms like Paul chapman im tipping. dank will be a late withdrawal for the lunch he is speaking at

I share your sympathy for the players and wish them well in a health sense.

I also understand people wanting to see them punished, as there is a tribal mentality in football, Essendon Officials have behaved disgracefully and there is an obvious anger when cheating is involved.

However, Sue below in her post, probably sums it up, as to why the players need to be punished, if the evidence of illegal drug use is present.

If they are not punished if the evidence is there, then any future athlete merely need say, I was told the stuff was legal. Then an official stands up and says, "yes I told them that" and he takes the fall.

You could kiss all world sport goodbye, as it would then become a simple case of the best drugs win the medals. The athlete willingly allowing drugs to be put in his body must be held accountable, even if he is misled or dumb.

sorry bagdad bob but you and only you are responsible for what is injected into your body (unless you are in surgery).

the end.

So when I go to the doctor for my flu shot and he gives me something else it's my fault?

I don't see it your way. People rely on professional, the young footballers relied on professionals. They were duped.

• Like 1

The young men who were administered drugs by those they had been taught to trust, I have a lot of sympathy for.

But if the athletes who use drugs are not stripped of awards and banned from playing, it would make investigation and subsequent penalties imposed, impossible to pursue.

I share your sympathy for the players and wish them well in a health sense.

I also understand people wanting to see them punished, as there is a tribal mentality in football, Essendon Officials have behaved disgracefully and there is an obvious anger when cheating is involved.

However, Sue below in her post, probably sums it up, as to why the players need to be punished, if the evidence of illegal drug use is present.

If they are not punished if the evidence is there, then any future athlete merely need say, I was told the stuff was legal. Then an official stands up and says, "yes I told them that" and he takes the fall.

You could kiss all world sport goodbye, as it would then become a simple case of the best drugs win the medals. The athlete willingly allowing drugs to be put in his body must be held accountable, even if he is misled or dumb.

We need more rational thinkers and less pedants. These kids have been punished beyond imagination and now people want more.

I don't get that and I don't accept the "deterrent" argument. We are entitled to rely on professional advice in a professional environment.

So when I go to the doctor for my flu shot and he gives me something else it's my fault?

No it is his fault and you have civil remedies. When you play sport that may have another impact effect and another head of civil damage.

Also see my post 3655.