McLardy is completely out of touch

Dees2014

Its time for a little MFC bonding time!

Lets all put on the 1964 VFL Grand Final.

So at the end we all can sing "Its a grand old flag ..."

Amen to that.

A few posters here are skating on thin ice.

Please refer to the Code of Conduct.

No worries.

- Argue the points of discussion, not the people involved in the discussion

- Avoid Racial, Political or Religious discussions

- Everyone is entitled to express an opinion but with that entitlement goes responsibility to observe the code of conduct and use common sense

Satyr shows flagrant disgregard for these rules. Practically every post he makes breaches at least one of them.

Every critique of the club, no matter how reasonable, is met with abuse. There is little interest in discussion, merely a mindset of placing anyone who is critical of any aspect of the club into a box labelled "naysayers who think everything is crap" and treating them with contempt. It is completely childish and cumbersome, and quite clearly I'm not the only one who feels this way. For someone who takes it upon himself to represent the club, he is doing a terrible job at it, certainly on here, and I doubt the club would be overly impressed with it.

I will admit I have lost patience with Satyr's conduct and may have stepped over the line on occasion in responding to his posts, but when it's every second thread he is hijacking to attack people for merely expressing an opinion, the only conclusion I can draw is that he has been given a free pass to do what he likes.

Edited by P_Man
  • Like 2

A wise person once said, when asked about the role of leaders and followers, that he would rather have people that can do without either.

In other words, it's not about leaders who are messiahs, characterful or charismatic, or about followers doing their instructed jobs, it's about motivated people knowing their roles, responsibilities, protocols and procedures so that they don't need to be instructed or ordered to do anything. Successful football teams are like this ... players do things and fill their roles 'automatically', with a sense of purpose and adherence to the team ethic, plan, strategy and the actions required. Like it's the 'Geelong way', or the 'Collingwood way'.

That's the sort of idealistic board I want ... one where everyone has appropriate skills, know what they're doing, what the protocols are, and take their responsibility seriously.

I don't want a set of 'yes people' operating hesitatingly under a foot-in-mouth dictator.

Well I don't.

I'm heartily sick of "well meaning, idealistic boards". This club has for too long been run by "nice guys"', and in the AFL world, nice guys really do run last.

We need someone, or some people, who really do know what leadership is all about: setting a vision, laying out a plan, building a team (in the broadest sense), and executing ruthlessly and uncompromisingly. clarity around roles in that team is.critical, but you still need strong, innovative, creative, and charismatic leadership to attract first class talent, and set a culture which ensures that talent continues to contribute to the team. I have seen too many teams fail in corporate life because it is believed a "strong culture" will magically make an organization successful. We need strong leadership AND a strong culture.

If you are in any doubt, look at the Swans. They didn't get to where they are by having weak leadership. In fact, the leadership under Roos and Colless created their very strong cultures, and applied it ruthlessly and uncompromisingly right across their Organisation. Their results speak for themselves. But it started with innovative, smart, uncompromising, and ruthless leadership.

We too can do this. But not by having the weak kneed management and football we have put up with for the last 20 years. Unfortunately, by the reaction of many on here, I'm beginning to believe we are not up to it if left to our own devices.

In a way, fortunately, our club has become so disfunctional that the AFL has decided to step in to fix it, because they have come to realize they have got too much to lose if they allowed the situation to continue. We though, as a supporter group, really have to harden up and develop some back bone, because we won't have the AFL looking after us forever.

Edited by Dees2014

Can I suggest we simply ignore all his comments completely, and move on to more constructive discussion.

Does not and will not work. Because of the nature of his posts, he continually gets quoted. I have him on ignore and it does next to nothing to blank out his presence.

This thread has degenerated to the point where it simply has to be closed.

Thanks for the debate folks. There are other places around here where you can discuss this subject but it had better be civilly and there could be more news on this later today.