• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

List Assessment Post Round 4 (No. 2-26)

Scipio

So I got a bit bored and decided to do my own little assessment of our list post round 4. Here it is (2-26), the rest will be up before the Carlton game. Hope you find it interesting.

· (2) Nathan Jones: Clearly our best midfielder. Has strength, good disposal and generally good decision making skills. Leads from the front (has a fantastic work ethic) and is probably our most consistent player. I look forward to the day Jonesy is the third best mid because that will mean we are a good side.

· (4) Jack Watts: I really feel for Watts. I have always had faith in him and encouraged people to give him time as he is often unfairly maligned. There is a very good player in there – he has excellent skills, reads the play very well, is super composed and very athletic but lacks toughness and appetite for the contest. I think Jack could make a name for himself up forward as a third tall while rotating up the wing as a link man, but I guess time will tell.

· (5) Jimmy Toumpas: Toumpas will be a great player for the Dees and the idiots on here who are calling for his head after a couple of games are off their heads. He is very skilled and will find a spot on a wing/flank I feel.

· (6) Chris Dawes: Can’t say too much as am yet to see him in the red and blue. I have heard his off field leadership has been very good and he is clearly a very clever and level headed guy. I was pretty pumped when we picked him up and am equally pumped to see how he goes when he plays (possibly this week?).

· (7) Jack Viney: He will be a star and a captain of the club one day. Love his tough game and aggro – it has been sorely lacking for a long time. Great to watch in the clinches as he goes at the ball like a little bulldog.

· (8) James Frawley: This year is a dangerous one for the club regarding Frawley and contract status. Out of contract and doesn’t look to be enjoying his footy at the moment, and I don’t really blame him as losing for so long must take its toll. He is our best defender and on his day can curb any key forward with strength, agility and an ability to read the play. He hasn’t played his best footy so far this year but the amount of ball raining down on the back six and the fact that they clearly don’t give each other a chop out doesn’t help at all. It will kill me if Frawley goes elsewhere at the end of the season but I could understand if he did. Please hang around Chippa!

· (9) Jack Trengove: The co-captain has struggled lately due to mostly unknown factors, however the defensive side of his game has been good. I personally believe he should have been made a vice captain with Grimes the stand alone captain and that the captaincy is burdening him. There is a very good player in Jack, which we saw partly in his first year or two and he’ll be back. A long term player and leader for the club.

· (10) Shannon Byrnes: I think Byrnes has been a solid pick up for the club in terms of leadership (especially coming from such a successful club) and adding a small forward which was a much needed component to the side. He looked to be finding his feat the first two games but against GWS and Brisbane he was very good and adds a bit of run to the midfield/half forward line. Not sure of his contract status but at 29 he should have a year or two left after this.

· (11) Mitch Clark: A star and the only one we can boast. Strong marking, super athletic and aggressive, Clark can definitely teach the rest of the guys a thing or two. Shattered to hear about the surgery on his foot but hopefully he isn’t rushed back. Has had a great impact so far on and off the field.

· (12) Colin Sylvia: Love and hate him. He has frustrated the shite out of me for so long as Col could be absolutely anything. He has all the attributes to be a top line midfielder but has always been lazy, disinterested or injured. However the end of last season and this season so far has been his most consistent patch so it may not be too late for Colin. Here’s hoping he can be a solid contributor or more for the rest of his career.

· (13) Jordie McKenzie: I have been a fan of Jordie in the past but he has become too one dimensional in my eyes. Tackles as good as anyone in the side but needs to win more of the ball, find some more run and improve his skills to hang around for much longer. Will be superseded pretty soon if he doesn’t add another string or two to his bow.

· (14) Lynden Dunn: I don’t see him becoming more than a bit part player, ever. Has a big kick, height which never seems to be used, moderate pace and is aggressive but doesn’t ever seem good enough to make his mark on a match or really dominate. Will be delisted/traded when spots are required I believe, though Neeld might like his hardness and hold on to him.

· (15) David Rodan: Bit of a mystery this one. I hope his contract was only a year because he has added little to nothing so far. Maybe he’ll pick up later in the season but I can’t see it happening as he is 29 and his body has been through hell.

· (17) Sam Blease: Flash in the pan player. The end of last year he played well and I think he had an interrupted preseason but needs to build on his fitness and not fade in and out of games as he currently does. If this continues, I can’t see a long future for him. If he works hard, he could be a very handy run and carry player or small forward.

· (19) James Strauss: Not a good year last year in the firsts and hasn’t appeared this year though his VFL form has been promising. He was looking to be making a spot for himself when he broke his leg in 2011 and I think he can be a handy player in the future with his foot skills but needs to find more of the ball. Looking forward to seeing how he goes this season when he appears.

· (20) Colin Garland: Second best backman. Can play small or tall and can be very handy or very frustrating imo. First couple of games were average, last two were quite good. I feel that Garland has had issues with Neeld that may have been resolved in the last few weeks. He is an important cog in the backline going forward.

· (21) Cam Pedersen: I always thought he was a good VFL player and so far from what I’ve seen I haven’t been wrong. A highlight was when he threw Tom Scully on the ground and there hasn’t been much else. Only on the list until we find someone better or need to free up a spot I feel.

· (23) Josh Tynan: I liked what I saw early last year and think he can be a good contributor if he can find some form in the VFL and break into the firsts. Has a bit of time but could play a wing/flanking role effectively.

· (25) Tom McDonald: I think he has the potential to be a very good key defender and was very impressive last year. Has been unfairly put down since the start of the season, having a bit of a form slump but this links to an interrupted preseason and not enough match fitness. He is very important to the backline heading into the future and I hope will be at the MFC for a long time yet.

· (26) Daniel Nicholson: Not good enough, yet or maybe never. Has pace but his kicking leaves a lot to be desired. Attacks the contest but isn’t nearly smart enough about it. At another team he would really struggle to get a game. If we improve, I don’t think he’ll be on the list in a few years. But that is a big if.

More to come...

• Like 3

Apologies, Deeluded has pointed out that Frawleys contract runs until next year, not this year.

Agree with all assessments here, except possibly Dunn.

I still think Dunn can be a very handy player for us.

Looking at the backline reviews, I'm still curious as to why we let Rivers go. Has all the hallmarks of yet another senior MFC player poorly handled (and assessed) by the club. We still need his offering - on and off field.

Rodan's an interesting one - would've thought Danyle Pearce was the more obvious Port player to target in the off season.

Looking at the backline reviews, I'm still curious as to why we let Rivers go. Has all the hallmarks of yet another senior MFC player poorly handled (and assessed) by the club. We still need his offering - on and off field.

Rodan's an interesting one - would've thought Danyle Pearce was the more obvious Port player to target in the off season.

I am sort of borderline with Dunn. I did used to think he'd be a guaranteed starter a couple of years ago but for me he just doesn't put it together consistently enough.

I don't think we let Rivers go.......He was a free agent(unrestricted) and could go to whoever he pleased.....He took the Geelong option as he could not see us playing finals and the cats surely would.....At 27 years old...,...You can't blame him or the club because he went.....

So I got a bit bored and decided to do my own little assessment of our list post round 4. Here it is (2-26), the rest will be up before the Carlton game. Hope you find it interesting.

· (2) Nathan Jones: Clearly our best midfielder. Has strength, good disposal and generally good decision making skills. Leads from the front (has a fantastic work ethic) and is probably our most consistent player. I look forward to the day Jonesy is the third best mid because that will mean we are a good side.

Funny with Jones, it wasn't so long ago that people on the boards were ridiculing both his disposal and decision making. What a difference some more experience and maturity have made

• Like 1

Very good work! Looking at some of those names, especially numbers 2-9, I think our list isn't as bad as it seems. With the addition of Hogan and most likely a top 5 pick, we are in a good position moving forward. You're citing of Watts is spot on, he is an undoubted talent, one i'm backing. Once again good review, I look forward to the rest!

What I find stunning is among the low numbers that have been assessed is the lack of midfield players. Jumper numbers 1 - 25, usually worn by the teams best players only Jones and McKenzie are midfielders with any experience. A couple of young mids there, Viney and Toumpas and a whole bunch of utilities / flanker types. Even the mids we have, skills are questionableSo many players who rely on service from midfielders yet no midfielders. Baffling. Where are our players who can run for four quarters and get the ball?

It's not the players we do have, it's the players we don't have / haven't recruited that is the problem.

One thing that shouldn't be over looked is that Dunn has a very good motor.

Dunn to me is like Tyson goldsack in a poor team, his kicking would be a nice bit of icing on the cake for a top side but we lack some other qualities that allow him to play like that

Apologies, Deeluded has pointed out that Frawleys contract runs until next year, not this year.

No wonder Frawley looks dejected

• Like 1