POST MATCH DISCUSSION

Demonland

So we won over GWS?? A team that has been in the comp for 27 games?

Just checking. Was wondering why people were getting so excited.

You prefer the doom and gloom???

this win was far better for the playing group than a walkover thrashing of gws,

these wins give the team a belief and confidence to fight out of trouble and have a idea of 4 quarter footy,i was rapt sunday and today and will be rapt tommorow

• Like 3

So we won over GWS?? A team that has been in the comp for 27 games?

Just checking. Was wondering why people were getting so excited.

Talk about a sad sack ! I'm guessing you're one of those "glass half empties" who are such fun to be around ! Enjoy it

Was simply asking the question. I am happy for the win but not at all excited.

It was an unexpected last quarter but it was GWS (I don't rate them or their coach at all). Our first middle two quarters were appalling.

I don't want us to get sucked in playing that style of footy. Its almost Bailey-esque

And I am sure Neeld doesn't think it is sustainable playing that way. Give me boring 5 goals a quarter consistently any day. If the players get inspired and a new found confidence in their ability/game plan etc and start playing competitive football for a few weeks in a row, I'll get excited then.

For me though we have had too many promises and disappointments to get excited about beating GWS.

• Like 2

Nothing win - but we were on a hiding to nothing in that match. Win against GWS at the MCG is expected and lose is disaster. Outing against Brisbane away will be much more instructive.

Look I am happy for the players and the kids I saw at the ground supporting the club.

• Like 1

Just listening to Jack Grimes and he was particularly pleased they won for the coach, he said they all wanted to do it for him because of the pressure he was under.

He seemed genuine that the players like working under Neeld.

• Like 4

It's amazing that last week people were saying that we'd be lucky to win a game for the season, and now there's people saying we're a chance to go 4-6 in our first 10 and sneak into the 8 by season's end. I'm happy that we won, but I gained little confidence from that match. If we beat Brisbane my tune will become more optimistic, but for now, we're the worst non-expansion team in the AFL.

The look on my kids faces during the last quarter when dominating and singing the song to victory was priceless for me.

We all know that we want more. But its important to acknowlege any win and enjoy it.

It was a great feeling for a change.

• Like 11

The coaches will have to dissect this game in 2 parts.

The last quarter showed we had plenty of run, can win the ball and can use it well. From that we need to take belief into the rest of our games.

The first 3 showed the same team as the last 3 weeks. Not hard enough at winning the ball, using it really badly and almost the worst bit was giving up goals way too easily. I'm not talking about the ones O'Hailpin got from soft frees, lucky bounces or being too good but a huge bulk of GWS goals came from us getting carved up as they say.

The backline were still slow to find their men again at times. The forwards had better pressure but still aren't perfect and again the midfield of GWS found space by running hard. Some of our midfielders if not all of them need to look at their defensive running again and see why these guys continue to get loose.

No doubt it helps when the forwards are doing their job and everyone is winning and moving the ball nicely but the way our defenders and mids closed down their men in the last quarter was a standout. The Col Garland here is your first 3 quarters and Col Garland here is your last quarter on DVD is a perfect example (except when he was lucky to get away with a hands in the back on an opponent who is 6 inches shorter, that was silly).

Funny as I thought our second middle two quarters was exactly the same

Yep forgot to delete the word first!

Look, I hope like hell this helps them release the shackles they have been playing under but I am too disillusioned with this club to get excited. Been disappointed too many times...

look at the draw 4/6 is reasonable. but theres a few shaky bridges to cross first.

It's amazing that last week people were saying that we'd be lucky to win a game for the season, and now there's people saying we're a chance to go 4-6 in our first 10 and sneak into the 8 by season's end. I'm happy that we won, but I gained little confidence from that match. If we beat Brisbane my tune will become more optimistic, but for now, we're the worst non-expansion team in the AFL.

Edited by jazza

Yep forgot to delete the word first!

Look, I hope like hell this helps them release the shackles they have been playing under but I am too disillusioned with this club to get excited. Been disappointed too many times...

I agree Jnr. we won and I always enjoy a win.

But it is only the first swallow.

We must all remember we were playing the worst side in the comp.

I am finding it difficult to forget weeks 1- 3.

I agree Jnr. we won and I always enjoy a win.

But it is only the first swallow.

We must all remember we were playing the worst side in the comp.

I am finding it difficult to forget weeks 1- 3.

Next week we play Brisbane and they are pretty poor too, I watched a bit of the game yesterday and they were woeful. Now I know they have had the wood on us but if they play like they did yesterday and we can play with a little confidence we might be 2/3, now that would be two swallows wouldn't it?

Next week we play Brisbane and they are pretty poor too, I watched a bit of the game yesterday and they were woeful. Now I know they have had the wood on us but if they play like they did yesterday and we can play with a little confidence we might be 2/3, now that would be two swallows wouldn't it?

Most definitely.

And summer might be a little closer

Most definitely.

And summer might be a little closer

So might winter be.

Funny game football I sat there stunned at three quarter time and even when we kicked the first two goals I was silent, but as the game went on the roar came back, just as it always does. I'm glad I don't do drugs, I'd be hopelessly hooked.

• Like 2

So might winter be.

Funny game football I sat there stunned at three quarter time and even when we kicked the first two goals I was silent, but as the game went on the roar came back, just as it always does. I'm glad I don't do drugs, I'd be hopelessly hooked.

The drug of the MFC winning is one I would gladly get addicted to Robbie

Just listening to Jack Grimes and he was particularly pleased they won for the coach, he said they all wanted to do it for him because of the pressure he was under.

He seemed genuine that the players like working under Neeld.

Absolutely, you could all hear them yelling "neeldy" to get him to sing the song with them at the end of the game.

He runs a tough love approach, we all know that but players are coming around to that as he always has their best interests at heart.

So happy to see a win, I don't care who its against, a win is a win, particularly when on the first 3 weeks form I was starting to believe we wouldn't win a game all year.

On GWS, I know people like to feel better about the expansion teams by considering them irrelevent easy beats who good teams consider a Bye.But the fact is this won't be the case for long. It may be sooner or later but GWS will start winning games against weaker clubs as they have been the beneficiary of one of the most unprecendented club builds of all time. Their finances are unprecedented, their salary cap advantage is unprecedented (kills Brisbanes and look what they did) their draft concessions are unprecedented, their ability to raid other clubs is unprecedented, the mini-draft is unprecendented, their board and admin is run by the AFL, the AFL has a vested interest in seeing them win and the CEO of the AFL is out there petitioning one of the best players in the comp to go there.
I know that it makes the installation of these clubs more palatable to believe they will be pathetic for ages and that 27 games is nothing it will take decades, but the reality is no one really knows what the impact of these concessions will be, certainly we all know what the intent is, the AFL wants them to win a premiership, and soon. So I am seriously relieved they are yet to beat us, especially when our club is in such a moment crisis with such poor form. GWS and GC will start going past established teams very soon, they HAVE to, the AFL wills it! So lets just be glad that for now we are still beating them, if we can stay ahead of them the way things stand now it would be bloody amazing!

Also, Mitch Clark had a good game in terms of his impact in helping out other teammates, but if he had been on, and if Jordan Bannister wasn't as bad an umpire as he was a footballer he could have had 4 goals yesterday! The two set shots he missed he normally would be nailing, the kick off the ground in the goalsquare was bad luck, and the mark in the goalsquare that was taken off him was a joke! Add to that the constantly mauling and pushing in the back in marking contests and he should have had a day out. I hope his foot recovers very quickly.

Go Dees!

Edited by deejammin'
  • Like 6

Nothing win - but we were on a hiding to nothing in that match. Win against GWS at the MCG is expected and lose is disaster. Outing against Brisbane away will be much more instructive.

Look I am happy for the players and the kids I saw at the ground supporting the club.

Sorry Fifty 5 - cannot agree with you.

This was not a nothing win. Particularly given the way in which we won: 19 points down at 3/4 time, then a 12.2 final quarter.

I think it was a incredibly important win.

Edited by Ron Burgundy
  • Like 3

$4. ie 3-1, silly in a two-horse race and in such a stupidly momentum-based game which has been placed upon us.

Nice one!.....According to the hun today....Sportingbet were offering 750/1 @ 3/4 time.

Can't defend Watts today. His timidness is really

starting to [censored] me, as are the halfhearted tackles and chases. All the skill in the world doesn't make up for those.

Watched the game closely on tv. Didn't think Watts was too bad. Neither was Frawley, in fact he was damned good in nullifying Cameron, a v dangerous forward. Some liked Jetta-I thought he was poor and the report incident disgusted me and commentators. Some have called for Jamar to be sacked--ridiculous. It was the combination of Gawne and Jamar which produced results. Viney was obviously buggered.

Still big problems around the packs though. We need to introduce more on ballers, not rely on too few. When fit I would like to see Joel Mac given a run on ball, because we need someone to play on the tall on ballers. He has faults down back but is quick, willing, and can get the ball. Nothing to be lost