Changes v West Coast

stuie

The Song Formerly Known As, on 08 Apr 2013 - 16:16, said:

What about Grimes? What about Matt Jones etc.

i forgot a few.. But you get the gist of what im getting at. Edited by Demonland

Conservative approach long gone .... This as conservative as I can be.

Was at casey today .... See my post in the Casey v Frankston thread

Sellar, Gillies, Nicholson, Watts, Toumpas (like the kid but think four or five games in VFL would do him good.)

Pederson, Strauss, Bail, Evans, Jetta

Thin ice for many others - I'd love to include manger ! But who are we going to put on long term injury ! :)

How about Jackyboy?

We need to fix the midfield before anything.

Of the thousands of posts over the past 2 weeks, blaming everyone from the doorman to the entire admin., this sums it all up for me.

We certainly do need to fix the midfield - just not sure we have the cattle. Yet. Jones is our Mr. Reliable, but he'd be 3rd or 4th mid in most sides: look at Port: Ebert, Boak, Hartlett and now Wines (ahead of Viney for the moment, but only just, and mainly because he's more physically developed). Even teams like the Dogs have some A-grade mids, and not even worth starting on GWS and GC with their pick of the crop.

Jamar is part of the problem, and I'd agree with most of the posts above and go for Gawn or even Spencer. But it's with the running on-ballers where we need - well, we simply need more class, more grunt, more run and better disposal (though equally, better receivers further down the field ...). Not sure where that's going to come from. McKenzie if possible, just to scrag and stop, Bail can probably provide something we don't currently have, I don't believe Kent is quite ready yet and he's more a forward I would have thought, Evans could get another look in ... but they're pretty thin pickings given how dire the situation is.

• Like 1

When it comes to Rodan and Byrnes I think what they bring to the table is probably greater around the club and off the field then what it is on it.

I don't know about the probably, I would have said certainly. I posted this elsewhere, but have a look at the photo of the team walking up the race for the first game against Port: Rodan is there alongside Viney, arm around his shoulder, encouraging him. Terlich credits Rodan with helping him settle into AFL football. etc. etc. Also agree, if they play at all it's a bonus.

Not sure I'd be writing off Pedersen quite yet. He's clearly capable, as he showed on Sunday (21 possessions, 11 marks), but he's not yet bringing that to the main game. We shall see. Confidence confidence.

• Like 2

When it comes to Rodan and Byrnes I think what they bring to the table is probably greater around the club and off the field then what it is on it. They've been recruited with a view to play 1 maybe 2 years each but help show some of our young players the ropes and how things should be done to help re-shape our culture. Pretty much what GWS did by recruting the likes of Power and McDonald last year, not so much for on field play but off field.

Anything that we get out of Byrnes and Rodan on field should be seen as a bonus really, the recruitment of them is due to our mistakes of shipping McDonald and Bruce off early. We need senior heads arounf the place. An Byrnes as a free agent and Rodan for Morton cost us nothing so I have no issue with them having been recruited.

Pedersen probably is the one that we may have paid overs for and Gillies cost us nothing as a free agent but early signs don't look to promising.

Power was an absolute champion and should have been given another year by Brisbane, it was only because of Voss's decision to go youth he wasn't. Junior was a hard at it former club captain and had a lot to show the kids on the field in terms of hardness and leadership.

Byrnes was an ordinary player in a good side and has been found out in an ordinary side, if we needed training examples we could bring Godfrey back and he would set a better example.

Rodan is at his third club has had 3 knee recos and has been delisted because he's just past it, it was a very ordinary club that delisted him also.

He gives us nothing that a young kid wouldn't and is keeping a potential player out; I just don't get it.

If we hadn't picked both of them up we would have been able to promote Magner and possibly Couch both of whom would give us so much more particularly right now.

Byrnes and Rodan have shown nothing.

Mckenzie in if fit, rodan out

Send all the boys back out for redemption, don't let them hide. If their confidence is shot only way out of it is to get back out there. Weeks a long time in footy they say. Put in a solid effort and actually beat west coast and see the confidence flow back through the squad.

Sylvia and davey through the middle and let's win a clearance. I don't want the few older guys we have hiding in a forward pocket. Show the young kids the way or go play for casey.

Can't really get that stuck into the back line for getting constantly shelled for two weeks. Unfair to call for gillies head. Problem is not winning clearances and not competing in the middle of the park.

I don't know about the probably, I would have said certainly. I posted this elsewhere, but have a look at the photo of the team walking up the race for the first game against Port: Rodan is there alongside Viney, arm around his shoulder, encouraging him. Terlich credits Rodan with helping him settle into AFL football. etc. etc. Also agree, if they play at all it's a bonus.

Not sure I'd be writing off Pedersen quite yet. He's clearly capable, as he showed on Sunday (21 possessions, 11 marks), but he's not yet bringing that to the main game. We shall see. Confidence confidence.

We should have players mentoring the new kids not taking up spots on the list; we don't have enough quality thoroughbreds in the side that allows us to play stable ponies.

Mckenzie in if fit, rodan out

Send all the boys back out for redemption, don't let them hide. If their confidence is shot only way out of it is to get back out there. Weeks a long time in footy they say. Put in a solid effort and actually beat west coast and see the confidence flow back through the squad.

Sylvia and davey through the middle and let's win a clearance. I don't want the few older guys we have hiding in a forward pocket. Show the young kids the way or go play for casey.

Can't really get that stuck into the back line for getting constantly shelled for two weeks. Unfair to call for gillies head. Problem is not winning clearances and not competing in the middle of the park.

Have you watched him play?

FB: Garland Frawley Terlich

HB: Grimes McDonald Nicholson

C: Viney M Jones Trengove

HF: McKenzie Clark Kent

FF: Tapscott Howe Blease

R: Spencer N Jones Evans

I: Jetta Davey Magner

S: Bail

In: McKenzie, Kent, Tapscott, Spencer, Evans, Jetta, Magner, Bail

Out: Gillies (mystery LTI), Rodan, Byrnes, Jamar, Watts (illness *cough*), Sylvia, Sellar, Toumpas (rested)

Yes, the team may be a little short, but there's no point playing all these talls considering they're clearly NQR.

The small guys get tired but the tall guys don't get any shorter. But a spud is a spud is a spud.

Obviously this won't happen, but a man can dream.

Great choice for the half forward line Do I see Clark - Kent There ??? We could do with him now (in the Superman mode of course !! )

Dont how everyones picking Nicholson.

Didnt have the guts to mark the ball twice in a row against Port, and was still very ordinary on Saturday.

• Like 1

Have you watched him play?

I'm gonna back him to come good. He may not but I'll give him a couple more games. Most blokes in the league would look like a crab in our back line at the moment. We're leaderless down there and everywhere else. All game I was looking at fletcher thinking how much we needed an old head there, or in fact anywhere in the whole damn team.

Melbourne hasnt had a genuine superstar for the group to look upto in a long time. Someone who oozes professionalism and makes the boys stand taller alongside them.

We're just so soft at the footy. It's painful to watch.

I'm gonna back him to come good. He may not but I'll give him a couple more games. Most blokes in the league would look like a crab in our back line at the moment. We're leaderless down there and everywhere else. All game I was looking at fletcher thinking how much we needed an old head there, or in fact anywhere in the whole damn team.

Melbourne hasnt had a genuine superstar for the group to look upto in a long time. Someone who oozes professionalism and makes the boys stand taller alongside them.

We're just so soft at the footy. It's painful to watch.

Good luck with that.

He's too slow not strong enough and appears to me as if he is way out of his depth. Geelong don't give good players away.

Riv for Gillies, hmmmmm.

IN: Tapscott, Magner, Bail

OUT: Watts, Sellar, Sylvia

I am giving Gillies one more week. I am partly blaming poor coaching, and poor matchup for round 2.

I'd like to see Tapscott given another week to consolidate @ Casey, & Sylvia another week to turn it on. I'd leave Seller for another game & look at Spencer for the GWS game.

Sylvia keep. We need all the experience In the side as we can get.

Bail, I'd like to see get another week of match fitness @ Casey, then coming back against Sheedy's mob. We need ball extractors now, & for me Magner has to come in this week. He's needed now, but I cant remember the LTI rules...

I think we need to look at Nicho, & Watts needs a rest, & so dunn or Strauss could come in here.

So, I'd like to see this group looked at for promo over the next 2 weeks >

Rnd 3 - group

James Magner, in/under

Dean Kent, inside runner
James Strauss, HB flanker/wing
Michael Evans, running small winger
dunn
--------------

Rnd 4 - group

Rohan Bail
Neville Jetta
Jake Spencer
Luke Tapscott

... who won clubman of the year award in 2012, and was given a standing ovation when he went up to receive it.

Clubman of the year means he was very well liked around the club, not that he was a great player.

A few people have put Dunn in for this round but he apparently has a hamstring (can't remember it happening) is still 1-2 weeks away according to the MFC website

Round three injury list
Chris Dawes (hamstring) – 3-4 weeks
Lynden Dunn (hamstring) – 1-2 weeks
Jack Fitzpatrick (concussion) – test
Joel MacDonald (hamstring) – 1-2 weeks
Jordie McKenzie (calf) – test
Nathan Stark (knee) – 1-2 weeks

1/ Will Sylvia and Toumpass be retained for WC. ( I feel both should play R 3 especially Sylvia)

2/ I know this is contentious but here goes? How many games will Neeld survive if Melbourne continues to be flogged. (Flogged = 50 point loss). Note: I like him and he obviously has passion but does he have anything else? After reading all the commentary on this one I'm torn.

3/ What's the progress on Taggert and Gawn. A Fit Gawn similar to the one I saw V Tigers 2 years ago is badly needed to replace an ageing and slowing Jamar. IMO. Taggert looked very promising before getting injured.

4/ Is Barry any good and if so is he ready for a call up given desperate times?

A few people have put Dunn in for this round but he apparently has a hamstring (can't remember it happening) is still 1-2 weeks away according to the MFC website

Round three injury list

Chris Dawes (hamstring) – 3-4 weeks

Lynden Dunn (hamstring) – 1-2 weeks

Jack Fitzpatrick (concussion) – test

Joel MacDonald (hamstring) – 1-2 weeks

Jordie McKenzie (calf) – test

Nathan Stark (knee) – 1-2 weeks

Is Viney OK?

I agree with your sentiments on Gawn and Jamar but I want to give Gawn one more then bring him in against GWS (A Phil Hughes - Rob Quiney situation). Bail I assume they want to have another game to make sure he's right.

In: Tappy, Dunn (I assume they will bring him back), McKenzie

Out: Gillies, Rodan, Nicho.

I'd love to see Byrnes and Sylvia put on notice and let blease have a week in the Casey mids but I think they won't make that many changes.

Mid field speed was a major problem last week, why would you bring in McKenzie.

... who won clubman of the year award in 2012, and was given a standing ovation when he went up to receive it.

He's probably a great bloke, but he was subsequently delisted by the same club that gave him a standing ovation, a month or so later.

Looks like some administrators on here are like our club at present......SOFT.......harden up people. Fair dinkum giving me a warning point for bad language....get a life its a forum people are allowed to do or say as they please ffs

Edited by Srjennings

Clubman of the year means he was very well liked around the club, not that he was a great player.

Yep.

And it's because of that, that he's a good pickup, and is now in the leadership group.

People complain that we got rid of good, experienced players too early, and when we do something about it and bring in good, experienced players who can make a difference around the club ...

• Like 1

Agreed! If Gawn is fit get him in! Any wise people have some answers re: the following...

1/ Will Sylvia and Toumpass be retained for WC. ( I feel both should play R 3 especially Sylvia)

2/ I know this is contentious but here goes? How many games will Neeld survive if Melbourne continues to be flogged. (Flogged = 50 point loss). Note: I like him and he obviously has passion but does he have anything else? After reading all the commentary on this one I'm torn.

3/ What's the progress on Taggert and Gawn. A Fit Gawn similar to the one I saw V Tigers 2 years ago is badly needed to replace an ageing and slowing Jamar. IMO. Taggert looked very promising before getting injured.

4/ Is Barry any good and if so is he ready for a call up given desperate times?