Training - Friday 25th January, 2013

Whispering_Jack

The MFC is tweeting:-

If you're in Melbourne, come down to Gosch's Paddock at 9.15 am tomorrow morning to check out training #firstandforever

Now I'm not really a worry wart but I'm glad the Dees are training in the relative safety of GP after seeing a fire threatened the Saints' training facility at Seaford the other day. We should be glad that the club has a centrally located facility as well as the one in Casey.

Drove past on Punt Rd about 8.15am, looked like coaches out already setting up running drills, cones etc. A few players stretching - couldn't see who.

Looking forward to reading some great reports....though tipping a bit of "missed a lot of targets going forward" as it's blowing a gale!

Also at training They started at 9:45 Only blokes not sighted are Frawley, Trengove and Clark. Toumpas, Bail & Sellar are doing a kick and lead activity, Gawn and Roden are hand balling Everyone else is in the main group who are doing the circular handball under pressure activity in smaller groups Lots of voice and enthusiasm The Invisible Man is here!

• Like 2

Full on running ball out of defense activity under way at both ends of ground Watts Garland Jones excelling at one end Great tackles by Jetta and McKenzie Watched Toumpas and Viney at other end Jimmy evasive but nailed by bigger bodies a few times and slightly injured after slipping on sprinkler cover Davey his old self in this group Pederson very good Chris Dawes with scorching pace on the lead Viney seems very capable in traffic

• Like 6

Full on running ball out of defense activity under way at both ends of ground Watts Garland Jones excelling at one end Great tackles by Jetta and McKenzie Watched Toumpas and Viney at other end Jimmy evasive but nailed by bigger bodies a few times and slightly injured after slipping on sprinkler cover Davey his old self in this group Pederson very good Chris Dawes with scorching pace on the lead Viney seems very capable in traffic

I find it hard to believe there are not measures in place to avoid anything like this happening. Either make it more visible by placing a larger cone on it or something FCS.

After Tapscotts injury you would've thought a thorough risk assessment of this type of hazard was completed.

• Like 8

I find it hard to believe there are not measures in place to avoid anything like this happening. Either make it more visible by placing a larger cone on it or something FCS.

After Tapscotts injury you would've thought a thorough risk assessment of this type of hazard was completed.

Thinking the same.

• Like 1

I can see tomorrow's Age headline already:

"Demons caught in new 'sprinkling' scandal. We don't know what it is but we'll try to make it seem sinister by calling it Sprinklergate or something."

Obviously an attempt to ruin our recruits in the pre-season rather than risk playing them in a regular season game.

• Like 1

I was there for about an hour today.

Dawes has a good presence and will be a great focal point for us.

Howe, Tapscott, Pedersen, Byrnes, Davey, Blease and Fitzpatrick also training in the forwards group.

Very impressed with Barry and Toumpas, just known how to run to the right spots, find the footy and dispose of it to their teammates' advantage.

Viney is a machine just goes and goes, and goes again, a definite starter.

Grimes also impressed me in the midfield, running alongthe wing and working hard.

Pickles Evans could be a real smokey for a regular senior spot as he was in everything.

Watts has definitely beefed up, and he is probably our most skillful player from what I saw today.

Jones just looks like a man on a mission and I wouldn't mind putting a few bob on him for the Brownlow, as I believe he will go to anther level again this year.

No Rodan out there today, would have liked to see how he fitted in.

• Like 6

Yes, 13thFlag is right, Jimmy continued in the full match-play activity. He was feeling the intensity and may have had a bit of a niggle.

I left at 11:15 due to parking restrictions. The match play activity was very impressive. We will be using a fast, play on, follow up, play the wings style which relies on high level delivery. We will come unstuck when kicks are poorly directed, BUT... It will look fantastic when in full flight.

Expect rapid movement sweeping down the wings and surges of quick scoring, coast to coast. That's what they are training for! Propping, stopping and being indecisive is out!

There was so much to be impressed by, I hated leaving early.

Viney is ready! He sticks like glue when chasing and is a master of repeat efforts. Dawes will add speed, and kicking distance to the forward line. Pedersen will be valuable, particularly while Mitch is recovering.

I noticed Matt Jones more today he seemed right at home and kicks well. Nathan Stark has speed carrying the ball and reminds me of Barts. Nathan Jones was excellent in match play.

By the way, the tackling was intense and several players were bought to the ground with a thud.

Dunn ran into McKenzie at full speed and left No13 struggling for breath. Davey was good. Hogan contested well but on most occasions was spoilt by the intense back pressure.

Sylvia, Grimes, Strauss and Tapscott (playing half forward) all took part in the full scale match play.

I will add more plus photos a little later.

• Like 15

Guest Spirit of 39

Everything is methodical, and meticulously planned at MFC training these days. A whistle blows and coaches shout, players move hastily, bibs are exchanged, balls are dropped. Everything is done for a reason. Dave Misson stands on the sideline looking at his watch. He blows his whistle when a drill has gone the required amount of time. Have we finished that drill, Misso, or is it half time? bellows Aaron Greeves. Were done! he screams back.

My highlight of today: It was a match simulation incident. A ball was kicked in the air to Ro Bail who looked like he would take a comfortable mark. Lynden Dunn came from nowhere to execute a spoil, landing on top of Bail in the process. As Dunn was getting up, he pushed Bail back to the ground. Bail didnt like it, so before you knew it they had grabbed each other around the neck. It got quite serious when Dunn gave Bail a jumper punch to the chin. Dunn finally had the sense to release Bail, and as he did that Bail gave Dunn a decent elbow to the back of his neck.

The two continued to play on each other with Dunn giving his usual elbow to Bail in the guts and back. Finally someone was sent out by Neeld to tell Dunn to pull his head in. It really did quite heated.

My observations:

- No Frawley, Clark or Trengove today. Gawn did his own running and skills session separate to the main group. D-Rod had the session off and helped Gawn do some skills work. Every other player took part in the main session.

- There was a match simulation exercise. It was white jumpers versus blue. It was scrappy and I was disappointed by the amount of times kicks failed to find targets going into the forward-line, and by the number of times the ball was coughed up with indiscriminate handballs, resulting in a turnover.

- Toumpas had no trouble finding the ball. He used it pretty well too. He did get caught a couple of times. (Hes adjusting to the pace of the game at the higher level.) And he ran out of steam pretty quickly. (Again, this is to be expected.) I think hell need some good NAB Cup form to have any chance to play round one.

- Tom McDonald beat any forward he played on. He was just too good for them. Dawes, Sellar or Pedersen would start ahead of him on the lead, and he would get in front of them and execute a spoil. Tom was good at ground level and used the footy really well. BOG for mine.

- Matt Jones looks a player. He is quick, a good size. He makes good decisions with the footy. Matt just needs to put some size on.

- Shannon Byrnes never wastes the footy. He spends most of his time lurking in the forward line. (He gets to dangerous positions when the ball hits the ground from a marking contest.)

- Jack Grimes won a heap of the footy through the midfield. He is moving well. In my opinion he must start in the middle.

- Jesse Hogan has great hands. He looked a bit lost in some of the drill, but he marked strongly and was very good below his knees. The kid doesnt fumble.

- James Strauss really impressed me. He looks fit, and most importantly for him, his body language and voice is very positive out there. Strauss takes the game on. He is quick, and he was happy to get physical with defenders he manned up today. He might surprise a few.

-The players are a vibrant, enthusiastic group who are working hard to improve. They continually encourage each other, but are happy to give out constructive criticism to each other when required.

• Like 28

Agree with Spirits assessment of Tommy Mac.

He did beat anyone he was on , including Dawes.

Love how this kid is progressing.

• Like 1

Guest Spirit of 39

I'm impressed with Clisby. He keeps his feet, can find his way through traffic, and doesn't waste the footy.

Barry, clearly, is not physically ready. But he does things every now and again with his pace or kicking and you think he could be special when he puts on some size.

Lots of positives there Spirit, but I was particularly pleased with this bit:

"James Strauss really impressed me. He looks fit, and most importantly for him his body language and voice is very positive out there. Strauss takes the game on. He is quick, and he was happy to get physical with and defenders he manned up today. He might surprise a few."

Very happy to acknowledge that I will be one of those he surprises if he can cement a permanent spot for himself.

• Like 1

Lots of positives there Spirit, but I was particularly pleased with this bit:

"James Strauss really impressed me. He looks fit, and most importantly for him his body language and voice is very positive out there. Strauss takes the game on. He is quick, and he was happy to get physical with and defenders he manned up today. He might surprise a few."

Very happy to acknowledge that I will be one of those he surprises if he can cement a permanent spot for himself.

Yes it seems that the position left vacant by Bartram is being hotly contested which will only bode well for our options. Very happy to see Strauss still in the picture.

I expect to see a few apologies directed at Barry P if Strauss makes it.

Those that I didn't see, or didn't join main training - Frawley, Trengove, Clark, Rodan, Gawn

As usual, training started with the entire squad pairing up and doing short kicks between two players, that gradually became longer kicks, before players then spread over the ground with kicking weighted to where your opposite ran. In the main the kicks were good, but the usual culprits hit the deck too often. Toumpas and Tapscott stood with their superb kicking, but plenty of others kicked really well.

Lots of handball drills with an emphasis on running in numbers, which typically included a group of 3. This drill determined that two players held tackle bags and a group of 3 players had to bypass them. There were two main groups doing this. I noticed that the receivers had a bit of space between them, which I liked, as too often players get sucked into a contest only for the opposition to throw it wide and get on the outside. It was short, sharp and looked pretty slick.

Next they had two stoppage drills happening simultaneously at either end of the ground, which was basically the entire group split into two. Each group had players evenly divided either wearing blue or white singlets. One group had to work it out of congestion through handball before spotting up a target 40 metres away. Lots of pressure/tackling and plenty of turnovers, but also a few clean take aways, which were subject to applause from their teammates.

On to the full ground circle work type drill where the ball starts in defence, is usually switched, but wasn't always, and worked forward by kicks, overlapping handball receivers and hard running, before trying to hit a target close to goal. In the main it was done well, but there's still room for improvement with the overall skill level.

And finally there was match simulation between white and blue, plus use of the interchange, but usually only two players off at any one time. There were no AFL umpires and the ball wasn't thrown up in the middle, but it would start with a ruck duel and it was predetermined who out of Spencer, or Jamar got the hit-out to give either blue or white first use. There were some good passages and some ordinary ones. There were some good skills and there were turnovers.

The pressure was good and there seemed to be far more understanding of each player's role compared to last year. Lots of emphasis on decision making. Lots of tackling and pressure.

I've definitely noticed a higher quality in the tackles of late. The work put into correct technique is paying dividends.

Magner, Nicholson, MacDonald, McDonald, Sellar, Evans, Dunn, Watts, Jetta all missed targets that resulted in turnovers and even Toumpas and Terlich had a bad one. Get used to turnovers in AFL footy, but there's still much to like with the way the ball is now being moved.

I won't list all of the players, but want to highlight 5, although I thought Tapscott, Sylvia, Jetta, and Grimes also trained well.

I'm reluctant to mention Viney, because it seems he's singled out every week, but he was in everything, kicked beautifully, made good decisions and was a stand-out. His only blemish was slipping over when trying to play on after a mark and getting caught. The rain had a small effect on the conditions late in the session.

Barry excites me every time I see him. His class and movement just slaps you in the face. He's a good kick, a really smart player, quick, and just doesn't fumble.

Terlich has a knack of reading the play. He gets by himself and constantly gets the ball. He uses it well and looks to have a cool head. He's no superstar, but one of those reliable defenders that mops up.

Taggert trained really well. I noticed him more than I had previously and I liked what I saw. He's tall, strong, moves well and is a good kick.

It was a toss of the coin with Viney, but my stand-out today was Matt Jones. Like Taggert, he's tall, quick, balanced and a beautiful kick. At 25 he's ready to go. Where Magner dropped marks and butchered a number of kicks Jones' skills shone. I understand that supporters will be skeptical about a guy that was playing at Box Hill and overlooked by Hawthorn and everyone else over the years, but I can only comment on what I see and he looks a real find.

• Like 19