Gawn Doesn't Want To Be Forgotten

Demon Jack

Why would you put a guy on the long term injury list at this time of the year?

I'm guessing it's something to do with player availability for the NAB Cup - but I don't know waht because I thought rookies could play anyway.

I'm guessing it's something to do with player availability for the NAB Cup - but I don't know waht because I thought rookies could play anyway.

I would think it has more to do with the fact that even if the injury is resolved by round one, he will still probably need to be brought up to AFL levels of fitness which could take a few rounds... so it is a form of insurance allowing a decision to be made on whether to promote a rookie, at a time closer to the start of the season. But I still think it is too premature to write off his entire season.

• Like 1

I would think it has more to do with the fact that even if the injury is resolved by round one, he will still probably need to be brought up to AFL levels of fitness which could take a few rounds... so it is a form of insurance allowing a decision to be made on whether to promote a rookie, at a time closer to the start of the season. But I still think it is too premature to write off his entire season.

I am seriously wondering about his long term viability

He has not played a single game at any level since early in 2011.

His tally is 4 games and not a hell of a lot more at Casey

He now looks like he won't play for another couple of months.

I have a sad gut feeling he will go the way of a number of other injury prone draftees at the MFC

Just my opinion....

The club will have told him already that if he goes down again after his injurys that a gentlemens agreement be in place that he retires potentially.

It just seems a little strange to put him on the list now..

The club will and is becoming ruthless, there isnt much room for sentiment & love anymore in the modern game..as crup as that sounds I know..

Putting him on the LTI list now is a pretty solid sign that they dont have alot of faith in his body & I think it may have been the last roll of the dice.

Although i hope not based on potential,Gawny looked really good in his few games he played and i had high hopes of a fantastic tap ruckmen.

Just my opinion....

The club will have told him already that if he goes down again after his injurys that a gentlemens agreement be in place that he retires potentially.

It just seems a little strange to put him on the list now..

The club will and is becoming ruthless, there isnt much room for sentiment & love anymore in the modern game..as crup as that sounds I know..

Putting him on the LTI list now is a pretty solid sign that they dont have alot of faith in his body & I think it may have been the last roll of the dice.

Although i hope not based on potential,Gawny looked really good in his few games he played and i had high hopes of a fantastic tap ruckmen.

There must now be doubts about his legs being up to the task of AFL fitness levels

I had similar hopes TT but it does not look good

Just a word about the reporting of Gawn's hamstring:

from the AFL website: "MELBOURNE ruckman Max Gawn has again been relegated to the long-term injury list after sustaining a hamstring injury during pre-season training..."

from the MFC website: "RUCKMAN Max Gawn has been placed on the long-term injury list, following an injury to his hamstring during training early in the pre-season..."

If you want to be alarmist, remove the the word early from the report. I mean, we all knew about the hamstring injury - it occurred a number of weeks ago.

• Like 3

from the AFL website: "MELBOURNE ruckman Max Gawn has again been relegated to the long-term injury list after sustaining a hamstring injury during pre-season training..."

from the MFC website: "RUCKMAN Max Gawn has been placed on the long-term injury list, following an injury to his hamstring during training early in the pre-season..."

If you want to be alarmist, remove the the word early from the report. I mean, we all knew about the hamstring injury - it occurred a number of weeks ago.

But why is he on the Long Term injury list?

I may be a simpleton but it means a long term injury to me

Blokes done his knee twice. Apparently his hammy injury occurred early in the pre-season, but only now they're putting him on the LTI for a period of 8 weeks. If its only 8 weeks, why put him on there? IMO I'd say that is cause for concern.

But why is he on the Long Term injury list?

I may be a simpleton but it means a long term injury to me

After the whole tanking shermozzle, maybe the club wants to flag it early in the piece so that they cannot be accused of dodgy player movements later if he doesn't come up fit enough to make a return ;-)

What gets released to the media and what actually occurs can be a completely different thing. They may have him on a modified program, which may last another 5-6 weeks, so therefore they can promote someone else for the 8 weeks.. then when Gawn becomes available again for selection, the rookie can step down. Not sure there is toooooo much to worry about.

• Like 1

What gets released to the media and what actually occurs can be a completely different thing. They may have him on a modified program, which may last another 5-6 weeks, so therefore they can promote someone else for the 8 weeks.. then when Gawn becomes available again for selection, the rookie can step down. Not sure there is toooooo much to worry about.

That makes little sense. And OD isn't worried - he just wants to know the reason Gawn is on the LTIL. It obviously isn't to allow a Rookie to play - there is nothing to play.

Edited by rpfc

They have said they will not be upgrading anyone.

And what good would up grading someone over the next 8 weeks achieve?

It just seems strange to me

There must now be doubts about his legs being up to the task of AFL fitness levels

I had similar hopes TT but it does not look good

There was always going to be danger recruiting a kid his size that had already done an ACL, its a shame really.

I think it is fair to say that Gawn, Trengove, and Clark will struggle to impact 2013.

I've got a bit more hope for Trengove. He was in the main training group till early December. They identified the injury early and the club is still hopeful he will be right for round one.

Clark suffered a very nasty injury - one that has finished the careers of a number of athletes in the US, so the club is being ultra cautious. I suspect the indeterminate time for his rehab program was one of the reasons they recruited Pederson.

Edited by DirtyDees DDC
  • Like 1

He has a hamstring injury how is he going to get "miles into his legs"?

Read a training report OD? It is not a new injury. He is just now getting miles into his legs. Think Whispering Jack stated in his training report from Monday that he strapped on the GPS and churned out the laps...

I am seriously wondering about his long term viability

He has not played a single game at any level since early in 2011.

His tally is 4 games and not a hell of a lot more at Casey

He now looks like he won't play for another couple of months.

I have a sad gut feeling he will go the way of a number of other injury prone draftees at the MFC

Given your support of Spencer and the fact he needed time i am surprised you are so negative about the prospects of Max. It is a hamstring injury.

Grimes had a few issues early on but the club through hard work and correct man management seem to have gotten on top of his issues. Evans has had his fair share of issues but is on track now. There are countless others.

I'm backing the club in to do the same with Max and don't believe it is all doom and gloom OD.

• Like 2

Read a training report OD? It is not a new injury. He is just now getting miles into his legs. Think Whispering Jack stated in his training report from Monday that he strapped on the GPS and churned out the laps...

Given your support of Spencer and the fact he needed time i am surprised you are so negative about the prospects of Max. It is a hamstring injury.

Grimes had a few issues early on but the club through hard work and correct man management seem to have gotten on top of his issues. Evans has had his fair share of issues but is on track now. There are countless others.

I'm backing the club in to do the same with Max and don't believe it is all doom and gloom OD.

Not sure we are comparing Apples with Apples when we compare Spencer and Gawn.

Spencer had one serious injury which he recovered from and returned to the side last season to play 8 games.

You never know what is around the corner but appears firmly in place as our no.2 ruckman.

He looks to be going from strength to strength.

Gawn is after 18 months off on the LTIL with a different injury.

Two Knee reco's and a serious hamstring injury in 3 years is a poor start to any career.

I serious hope he can come through all this but It does not look good to me.

It is just as well he has a contarct till the end of 2014.

Glad he does not have to front up for an extension this year

FFS it's only January and already the "woe is me" types are out and writing off players seasons.

To me it seems clear they have placed Gawn on the LTI at this stage as a pre-caution. If he doesn't come up by R1 they have the option of upgrading a rookie so we aren't a player down. If they wait any longer it will eat into the season considering the 8 week minimum a player must be on the LTI. If he comes up then they'll just take him off. I wouldn't be reading anything else into it.

• Like 4

FFS it's only January and already the "woe is me" types are out and writing off players seasons.

To me it seems clear they have placed Gawn on the LTI at this stage as a pre-caution. If he doesn't come up by R1 they have the option of upgrading a rookie so we aren't a player down. If they wait any longer it will eat into the season considering the 8 week minimum a player must be on the LTI. If he comes up then they'll just take him off. I wouldn't be reading anything else into it.

Spot on. I didn't understand the move either until someone pointed out to me that once the 8 weeks is up he can come off the LTI list any time, but if we wait til the season starts he'll have to be out that whole time. Sensible move by MFC. That's all.

Why would you put a guy on the long term injury list at this time of the year?

He has a hamstring injury.

It must be fairly serious if you are putting him on the list at this time.

Why bother , why not do it later as you get closer to the season start.

I do not understand doing it now unless you expect the guy to be injured way past the start of the season.

Evans upgraded:

FORMER rookie Michael Evans says he is determined to repay the club for having the belief that he has what it takes to make it at the highest level, after it upgraded him to the primary list for 2013.

The 20 year-old, now entering his third season with Melbourne, has had a frustrating run with hip and back injuries since July 2011, having played just four VFL matches between mid-July and mid-August in 2012.

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2013-02-06/upgraded-evans-eager-to-repay-faith

Edited by dee-luded

Evans upgraded:

FORMER rookie Michael Evans says he is determined to repay the club for having the belief that he has what it takes to make it at the highest level, after it upgraded him to the primary list for 2013.

The 20 year-old, now entering his third season with Melbourne, has had a frustrating run with hip and back injuries since July 2011, having played just four VFL matches between mid-July and mid-August in 2012.

Evans was upgraded to the senior list at the National draft. Couch, Magner, Stark & Clisby are the rookies. Edited by DemonWorshipper
  • Like 1

Evans was upgraded to the senior list at the National draft. Couch, Magner, Stark & Clisby are the rookies.

Oh I didn't know that. I thought the article was to announce his elevation. actually, I do remember now.

I lost all that in our afl troubles.

Thanks for reminding me DW...

I wonder if our recruiting strategy would've been different had we known Grundy would slide to pick 13 in the November draft. Hogan, Toumpas, Grundy, Viney would've been some quartet. Hindsight vision of course.

Whatever the case, I'd say our recruiters will be high alert for young ruckmen around the country this year. It'll be great if Gawn comes on but at this stage that has to be regarded as an outcome more in the 'bonus column'.

Edited by Range Rover