Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

2013 realistic expectations

S.R.J

Where did I equate us to the Cats ? I'm saying that a coach shouldn't be definitively judged after two years.

Are there worse comprehension skills around here ?

rarara the 'i'm trying to be optimistic but a realist won't swallow it' dummy spit panties in a bunch cry response. Seen it before mate

As a supporter you're damaged goods. You'll not have faith in anything. It hurts too much to be constantly let down. You disbelieve until there's evidence to the contrary. You lack vision,

Your quote I think applies to many and I think it's a natural part of being a footy supporter. Certainly I'm a different and more sceptical supporter than I was but I believe many go through a cycle of enthusiasm.

You shouldn't be too hard on those in a trough at the moment and your quote reminded me of your past post where you said:-

I’ve just about had the passion knocked out of me by the MFC. Sorry Hal, but year after year I’m sick of watching a mediocre side. Year after year I yearn for a star that can be the cornerstone of a genuine tilt at a premiership.

Even the most resilient have had their doubts.

But when I re-read the post I looked at the date, 18th April 2006 after our third loss of the season and we sat without a win. Your observation on our coach was as follows:-

Daniher isn’t proactive as some believe, he’s reactive. Our players look confused. They don’t know when to attack, push back, go long, or short. The new accountable and defensive Dees don’t know whether they’re Arthur or Martha.

The thread was short lived. We won 11 of our next 12 games and ultimately lost to Freo in the 2nd semi final to finish the best performed Victorian team of the year when we lost some important players in the win over St.Kilda.

Don't be too hard on those that are flat after 6 years of crud Ben, you were there after two years of finals and three losses. Thankfully you only had to wait 7 days for the light to shine.

Your quote I think applies to many and I think it's a natural part of being a footy supporter. Certainly I'm a different and more sceptical supporter than I was but I believe many go through a cycle of enthusiasm.

You shouldn't be too hard on those in a trough at the moment and your quote reminded me of your past post where you said:-

Even the most resilient have had their doubts.

But when I re-read the post I looked at the date, 18th April 2006 after our third loss of the season and we sat without a win. Your observation on our coach was as follows:-

The thread was short lived. We won 11 of our next 12 games and ultimately lost to Freo in the 2nd semi final to finish the best performed Victorian team of the year when we lost some important players in the win over St.Kilda.

Don't be too hard on those that are flat after 6 years of crud Ben, you were there after two years of finals and three losses. Thankfully you only had to wait 7 days for the light to shine.

Unlike many on here playing finals means f/all to me. I evaluate a list and club on their ability to win a flag. If they're just making up the numbers in a finals series it means jack. I never "believed" during Daniher's reign, despite our moments, although I acknowledge he was a decent coach - just not a great one.

I was filthy on Bailey in year 4 because I knew he was crap. That's why I didn't hold back. You were eerily silent.

Do you think I won't torch Neeld if I think he's crud ? You know I will. Now isn't the time. I like the changes and I like some of the quality youth just in. Naturally we all want to see it happen in a proper game, but sometimes you have to back your judgment. That's what I'm doing.

• Like 1

I was filthy on Bailey in year 4 because I knew he was crap. That's why I didn't hold back. You were eerily silent.

I agree with just about everything you've said, I never believed we'd win a flag under Daniher but thought he achieved much with little including a GF appearance.,

In hindsight we just didn't have the resources and I didn't realize the gulf until we moved to AAMI. I don't know if you ever saw the Junction Oval facilities but they we prehistoric as was our footy department budget. The "jokes" of rats in the ceiling was right. Craig Cameron was doing the job of two current senior FD people and he had a shoe string budget which didn't allow him the information many others had. Not only that but after the 1997 ND he had three picks in the top ten in his tenure and two of those in one of the worst drafts you'd ever see. Not exactly access to the stars we craved and the information we needed.

In relation to the "eerie" silence are you really surprised? I was working at the club for Bailey's entire tenure and and was privy to some sensitive information. Whilst you might have trouble with my silence I had no issue about not criticising the Club on a public forum. I don't understand why you have such trouble with this, I hope others don't.

We play this game to win. We don't play be be the team with the most potential or the team who might win a flag in 5 years if player x y and z come on. Win round 1 then move onto round 2.

We play this game to win. We don't play be be the team with the most potential or the team who might win a flag in 5 years if player x y and z come on. Win round 1 then move onto round 2.

winning round 1 seems like winning the lottery - we have lost the season opener the last SEVEN on the trot

winning round 1 seems like winning the lottery - we have lost the season opener the last SEVEN on the trot

That is not a lottery. A lottery would mean we might win once in a while. It is more like a depressing soap opera. Knowing that we will have another shiite season.

But seriously it has been a huge bugbear of mine under Bailey that we NEVER enter the season with any momentum. The Bummers have shown it is vital (even though they fall halfway through the season!) and stats say the top 8 rarely changes after about round 10.

Our pre-season form has been atrocious. I for one am looking forward to some competitive pre-season footy under Neeld. The amount of match simulation we are doing as well as the increased levels of hardness and fitness SHOULD make this pre-season game watching much more enjoyable. And hopefully this leads to a better start to the year. Given the draw it is critical to start well. The players as well will grow in confidence if their hard work over summer looks like paying off.....

• Like 1

rarara the 'i'm trying to be optimistic but a realist won't swallow it' dummy spit panties in a bunch cry response. Seen it before mate

You regularly post inane crap. I thought you a lightweight as Stakka and sadly you've regressed.

Purely judging Neeld on his ladder position and number of wins in year two is shallow thinking. There are so many other variables to consider. It's easy to fall into the trap, but it's also lazy and self-serving for some. There are parameters to judge him on and I've named them. And I'll be looking at those parameters closely.

I used Bomber Thompson as a very real analogy. In his 4th year they won 7 games and came 12th. A year later they're top 4. Btw, this wasn't the year of the famous review, which came a couple of years later.

Try and use what grey matter you have left.

Our pre-season form has been atrocious. I for one am looking forward to some competitive pre-season footy under Neeld. The amount of match simulation we are doing as well as the increased levels of hardness and fitness SHOULD make this pre-season game watching much more enjoyable. And hopefully this leads to a better start to the year. Given the draw it is critical to start well. The players as well will grow in confidence if their hard work over summer looks like paying off.....

We beat Collingwood in 2012 and it meant nothing.

I am not going to take anything from the PS games other than perhaps the form of a few recruits transferred from state leagues: Terlich, Clisby, Jones, and Pedersen (effectively a VFL player in 2012).

We beat Collingwood in 2012 and it meant nothing.

I am not going to take anything from the PS games other than perhaps the form of a few recruits transferred from state leagues: Terlich, Clisby, Jones, and Pedersen (effectively a VFL player in 2012).

A Coll side that rested/didn't play 16 of its best 22...

I'm not taking about 1 win. And we got trounced the following week. I'm talking about playing consistent competitive footy in the pre-season.

Its a old adage in AFL football but they always say that on any given day any team can beat another.

This makes discussion on expectations mute in a way , because what the real expectations boil down to is what does Neeld think and the Players think those expectations are or should be ??

We must remember that Neeld has now cleaned out in his opinion most of the deadwood and has recruited players that are experienced and as he believes up to the tasks he wants them to perform in other words they are his players now .

So take into account the new supposed camaraderie after the Darwin Camp and the fact that Neeld doesnt seem to have much time for those that do not follow his game plan , add to that the AFL draw we have received and to be honest I think Neeld might believe in himself a top eight is not out of the question , wether that becomes the goal he sets the team or wether that becomes a pipe wish is up to the Team the Club and us as supporters . The difference by having us as supporters on board, is they can concentrate on the positives and not the negatives.

So all I hope is that some one asks Neeld what those expectations are and tells him that it would be good if we as supporters where given that same goal or told what those expectations of the club are this year ?

That is what counts not what we expect or hope for but rather what the club has sets its sights on .

• Like 3