2013 Phantom Drafts

Whispering_Jack

I know FA about these kids personally but from what I have read it is Freeman for me.

If there is a risk but also a potential X factor mid who has an explosive side to his game but with some questions on his kicking, well I will take the punt and go for the potential unstoppable force versus the silky skilled mid, myself.

We have failed so often in the first round we may as well take a punt on Freeman.

It's looking more likely Salem rather than Freeman, if you go by the "experts"

Nathan Freeman has been 'talked up' for weeks by many posters who know considerably more about the draftees than do I.

I have not heard much about Salem. For this reason I feel that I might even be disappointed if we draft him.

What am I missing? How good is Salem? Why would he be a 'better' choice than Freeman et al?

Looking at the phantom drafts it appears Bontempelli is going to shape the early draft. It sounds as though the Dogs will take him or Aish at 4 and that decision will have a flow on effect. I can't see Scharenburg getting to our pick but there is a low chance scenario where Aish does. What would I know?

Some possible scenarios:

1. Boyd

2. Kelly

3. Billings

4. Bontempelli

5. KK

6. Aish

7. Scharenburg

8. McDonald

9. Salem

10. McCarthy

1. Boyd

2. Kelly

3. Billings

4. Aish

5. KK

6. Scharenburg

7. McCarthy

8. McDonald

9. Salem

10. Bontempelli

1. Boyd

2. Kelly

3. Billings

4. Bontempelli

5. KK

6. Scharenburg

7. McCarthy

8. McDonald

9. Aish

10. Salem

etc

Interesting read provided by Kristian Pisano over at Footy Tragic. He isn't guessing where each player will go in the draft but ranks them in his preffered order according to their ability (in his opinion). He provides good write ups to back up why he has ranked each player where he has.

Very interesting to read his take on the midfielders available. He actually rates Dom Sheed as the best midfielder in the draft.

His top 10 players in the draft that can play as mids are as follows:

1. Dom Sheed

2. Matt Scharenberg

3. Josh Kelly

4. Jack Billings

5. Blake Acres

6. Marcus Bontempelli

7. Trent Dumont

8. Christian Salem

9. James Aish

10. Zak Jones

Here's the link: http://www.footytragic.com/blog/uncategorized/kps-phantom-draft/

Yes, Sheed caught my eye early on also. No standout attributes as such but does everything so well.

This blurb really tells a lot.

"Sheed was the Larke Medallist for the best player of the National Champs this season, and that result only confirmed things for me. He averaged 28 disposals (11 contested) at 74% efficiency to go with 6 clearances, 3 tackles and 4 inside 50’s. Sheed was the only 17 year old to play in the WAFL seniors last season where he played three matches and averaged 17 disposals and 5 marks. He capped off a great season in the Colts playing 12 games and averaging 23 disposals, 6 marks and 4 inside 50’s. Sheed showed he was legitimate at last year’s National Champs averaging 15 disposals, 4 marks and 3 inside 50’s per game. He only managed the three senior WAFL games this season due to Champs commitments and injury, where he averaged 15 disposals and 4 marks."

I'm very concerned when we look back in 5 years if we take Salem we'll be saying gee he's a good footballer, but Freeman is elite. Watch Patty Dangerfields TAC Cup highlights and they literally mirror Freeman's. Didn't look like he liked hard ball, and some wonky kicking. You'd say now it's his two best attributes. Playing footy myself, a bad lead can destroy any attempt of a good kick and it happens so much at this level of footy.. The intangibles are too irresistible to turn down with Freeman and I'd be devastated if he was available and we didn't take him.

Attitude and mentality are big factors that determine how far one will go. Personality, which club you're picked up by, the leaders, culture and environment the club has is significant for the development of a player also.

Whilst Freeman and Dangerfield do have some similarities, it doesn't mean that Freeman will be the next Dangerfield. And if it does, then I could say that Salem will be the next Hodge, because he also shares some similar qualities as a player..

As for kicking to bad leads, what does that say about his decision making? I think it's foolish to suggest that Freeman's perceived lack of hitting targets comes down to bad leads. They're highlight tapes. There'll be misses. There'll be hits. There'll be bad leads and there'll be bad decisions. You or I do not know which one is more likely, but what you can see is that Salem appears to be a better kick of the football if we're comparing those highlight tapes.

All of this is so very entertaining. And exciting. We are due to unearth a star though. Surely?

• Like 1

Interesting read provided by Kristian Pisano over at Footy Tragic. He isn't guessing where each player will go in the draft but ranks them in his preffered order according to their ability (in his opinion). He provides good write ups to back up why he has ranked each player where he has.

Very interesting to read his take on the midfielders available. He actually rates Dom Sheed as the best midfielder in the draft.

His top 10 players in the draft that can play as mids are as follows:

1. Dom Sheed

2. Matt Scharenberg

3. Josh Kelly

4. Jack Billings

5. Blake Acres

6. Marcus Bontempelli

7. Trent Dumont

8. Christian Salem

9. James Aish

10. Zak Jones

Here's the link: http://www.footytragic.com/blog/uncategorized/kps-phantom-draft/

I just had another look at James Aish and his video highlights show some very ordinary disposal.

• Like 1

Some random highlight packages made by an AFL employee that probably knows SFA about the individual players should be taken with a bucket load of salt. This is perhaps the first draft in many, many years that I feel I can trust the club to make the right decision on our picks. Like all of us, I can see good and bad in each draftee and I have no idea whether it will be Sheed, Salem, Freeman or someone else that we select. Thank god the leaks have stopped.

I would personally be happy with Scharenberg, Aish, Freeman or Salem. I trust that our recruiters and coaches will get it right this time.

Scharenberg looks impressive.

Aish is very confident but has some issues and the mfc skinny factor might scare us

Freeman has awesome speed, breakaway pace. Some worry about kicking but I think he'll be ok.

Sheed is probably the best overall skill player - has less weaknesses - maybe less possessions but poise more than makes up.

• Like 1

I would personally be happy with Scharenberg, Aish, Freeman or Salem. I trust that our recruiters and coaches will get it right this time.

Scharenberg looks impressive.

Aish is very confident but has some issues and the mfc skinny factor might scare us

Freeman has awesome speed, breakaway pace. Some worry about kicking but I think he'll be ok.

Sheed is probably the best overall skill player - has less weaknesses - maybe less possessions but poise more than makes up.

You mention Salem then go on about Sheed as the the best overall player. Which one would you want?

p.s With the draft only one sleep away, maybe everybody should get an early night? :rolleyes:

Talk that the Saints might be keen on Scharenberg at pick 3. Assuming that the Dogs will take Bontempelli at 4, GC with KK at 5, Pies seem to be set on Aish at 6 (if Scharenberg is gone) and Brisbane with Freeman, McCarthy and Salem all in the mix for them at 7. Where does that leave Billings? could he make it to us at 9? I assume we would take him and run in this unlikely scenario?

Talk that the Saints might be keen on Scharenberg at pick 3. Assuming that the Dogs will take Bontempelli at 4, GC with KK at 5, Pies seem to be set on Aish at 6 (if Scharenberg is gone) and Brisbane with Freeman, McCarthy and Salem all in the mix for them at 7. Where does that leave Billings? could he make it to us at 9? I assume we would take him and run in this unlikely scenario?

Still wouldn't be surprised if Scharenberg goes to GWS at 2.

Can't see Billings even lasting til Brisbane's pick, let alone gettin past them.

It's been mentioned that Collingwood are now trying to figure out, out of Freeman, Salem, Aish and Scharenberg, which 2 they'd prefer, and if they take one at pick 6, how likely it is that they'll get the other at pick 10.

I can't see Aish getting to us, and I'm really not sure about Scharenberg when we really need a mid.

I don't think he's that much better that you choose purely based on talent and not considering needs.

I get the feeling we'll take Salem over Freeman.

It's essentially smarts & exceptional disposal vs truly explosive athleticism.

Either way we win.