A former Melbourne sponsor says a senior Demons official boasted about securing top two draft picks

Fox Sports

So much has been written on this but events like this really sum up this whole affair. The biggest reason Melbourne are being grilled as much as they are is that some people in the club don't seem to understand the meaning of the word 'discrete'. It reminds me of that Simpsons episode where Homer Simpson was a truck driver and he was telling everyone about the Teamsters auto pilot: 'Don't tell anybody! It's a big conspiracy!'

The club should be afforded natural justice and go through the proper procedures but quite frankly the blokes involved in this crap should just fall on their swords now for being absolute asshats.The whole scenario runs against the spirit of the game and that should be punished IF they are found guilty via guidelines set up by an independent commission but whoever was stupid enough to go around saying this should be out of a job for sheer incompetence. Carlton, Richmond and Collingwood may have done things that are similar to this but at least they weren't stupid enough to boast to people about it and hold meetings discussing it.

Edited by Guest

Fox Sports

So much has been written on this but events like this really sum up this whole affair. The biggest reason Melbourne are being grilled as much as they are is that some people in the club don't seem to understand the meaning of the word 'discrete'. It reminds me of that Simpsons episode where Homer Simpson was a truck driver and he was telling everyone about the Teamsters auto pilot: 'Don't tell anybody! It's a big conspiracy!'

The club should be afforded natural justice and go through the proper procedures but quite frankly the blokes involved in this crap should just fall on their swords now for being absolute asshats.The whole scenario runs against the spirit of the game and that should be punished IF they are found guilty via guidelines set up by an independent commission but whoever was stupid enough to go around saying this should be out of a job for sheer incompetence. Carlton, Richmond and Collingwood may have done things that are similar to this but at least they weren't stupid enough to boast to people about it and hold meetings discussing it.

Your right but it's a poor reflection on our sport & on our morals that we can't do what every one else has done & talk openly about it.

That says that others (discrete are knowingly cheating, yet it's OK with the world as they keep it {discrete} secret from (who) the footy world)??? and the AFL itself????

Really >

[media=]

Edited by dee-luded

After the Kreuzer Cup thousands of Carlton supporters were boasting about their priority draft pick as well.

However, three weeks before that game, a former Carlton board member was boasting they would get the pick and how they were going to go about it.

I'm waiting for a call from the AFL.

• Like 6

I would agree it wouldn't probably hold up but if true, why bring that kind of spotlight onto yourself? What kind of big noting goose would go around saying things like that? I admit it is heresay. I do tend to believe it's true (in light of other info that is coming out) but I also realize that it would not be strong enough to convict or accquit anyone. I am more dirty on people who were stupid enough to make these kind of off the cuff remarks that would come back to bite later. There is way too much of this kind of gossip coming out so it is tough to say that all these people are liars.

I pray to the big pixie in the sky that the club gets off and hope that all of this is false. The more cynical side of me realizes that there is a lot of it that is probably true but a real 'smoking gun' (i.e. recorded written evidence) might not ever come to light.

Edited by Guest

Fox Sports

You've been reading too much Wilson and Robbo there Col.

Because some hack asserts something ,does not make it true .

As we are about to discover.

Our strategy has been on public display for years.

CS was pretty open about our plans to be competitive by 2013 on Whiteboard Wednesday.

As for the words of a disloyal corporate sponsor?

Really -do you believe the invective of a suit trained in Marketing?

Have some faith in the oldest and greatest football club on earth.

• Like 2

After the Kreuzer Cup thousands of Carlton supporters were boasting about their priority draft pick as well.

However, three weeks before that game, a former Carlton board member was boasting they would get the pick and how they were going to go about it.

I'm waiting for a call from the AFL.

I will take Carlton off my list of clubs not stupid enough to boast about tanking then. :)

You've been reading too much Wilson and Robbo there Col.

Because some hack asserts something ,does not make it true .

As we are about to discover.

Our strategy has been on public display for years.

CS was pretty open about our plans to be competitive by 2013 on Whiteboard Wednesday.

As for the words of a disloyal corporate sponsor?

Really -do you believe the invective of a suit trained in Marketing?

Have some faith in the oldest and greatest football club on earth.

My faith is being severely tested Biffen. I can't really buy the 'bitter ex employee/corporate sponsor' line however. If there are that many bitter people going around they probably do have something legitimate to be bitter about.

The stuff Caro wrote seems now to be powered by vitriol as evidenced by that spiteful piece she wrote yesterday. Motives aside (and she seems to have drunk a big glass of Hatorade ™ and taken aim at CC and CS), this spite she seems to have towards the MFC doesn't invalidate everything she is saying.

My faith is being severely tested Biffen. I can't really buy the 'bitter ex employee' line however. If there are that many bitter ex employees going around they probably do have something legitimate to be bitter about.

The stuff Caro wrote seems now to be powered by vitriol as evidenced by that spiteful piece she wrote yesterday. Motives aside (and she seems to have drunk a big glass of Hatorade ™ and taken aim at CC and CS), this spite she seems to have towards the MFC doesn't invalidate everything she is saying.

She must be sponsored by Hatorade.Col.

There are thousands of reasons to hate a a boys club that decides to play hardball and become a winning outfit .

Sorry Paul ,Brock ,James. You're too slow ,old ,unco .Goddbye.

Sorry Paul, you are a crap President and a useless one .Goodbye .

Plus they hate us because our [censored] is finally together and they are desperate to rip it apart.

Fox Sports

And doesn't boasting about it give it an air of doing soemthing or at least believing it was perfectly legal.

• Like 1

It's funny that all the comments are now from ex-sponsors and ex-players, coaches or board members. If the AFL cant work out a statement from a disgruntled person isn't always credible, maybe they're stupider than I thought they were.

Regardless, this particular sponsor should be banned from the AFL, they are claiming they knew we were cheating and chose to say nothing about it. In the justice system knowingly withholding a person of crime can be a felony so if these gentlemen are so helpful in throwing us under the bus, I'd like to hope Melbourne also put the pressure on all these people should we be found guilty.

I would agree it wouldn't probably hold up but if true, why bring that kind of spotlight onto yourself? What kind of big noting goose would go around saying things like that? I admit it is heresay. I do tend to believe it's true (in light of other info that is coming out) but I also realize that it would not be strong enough to convict or accquit anyone. I am more dirty on people who were stupid enough to make these kind of off the cuff remarks that would come back to bite later. There is way too much of this kind of gossip coming out so it is tough to say that all these people are liars.

I pray to the big pixie in the sky that the club gets off and hope that all of this is false. The more cynical side of me realizes that there is a lot of it that is probably true but a real 'smoking gun' (i.e. recorded written evidence) might not ever come to light.

not bring it onto yourself, but by deliberately doing yet hiding disguising it would surely eat at your conscience & self esteem.

So, the honest ones desire to be open about things, as it s the way gone on for some time, so it seems to have become accepted into the AFL ways.

Until some unscrupulous others, decide that this 'entity', is getting too smart & too much purchase, & its starting to worry them that this 'entity' is going to become a potent threat.

They're becoming 'threatened' by what the 'entity' may become once more, & it doesn't suit they're model of they're desired world.

So belt them before they surface. make them drown until they learn to be passive again... "lay down, ya mongrel".

not bring it onto yourself, but by deliberately doing yet hiding disguising it would surely eat at your conscience & self esteem.

So, the honest ones desire to be open about things, as it s the way gone on for some time, so it seems to have become accepted into the AFL ways.

Until some unscrupulous others, decide that this 'entity', is getting too smart & too much purchase, & its starting to worry them that this 'entity' is going to become a potent threat.

They're becoming 'threatened' by what the 'entity' may become once more, & it doesn't suit they're model of they're desired world.

So belt them before they surface. make them drown until they learn to be passive again... "lay down, ya mongrel".

That's some lateral thinking there deeluded. By the sounds of things, I am not sure this official was slumped over a bar, whiskey in hand whilst weeping about their plan or trying to come across as refreshingly honest. I think they were more talking themselves up!

be kinda ironic if it was Ben Polis........would at least explain the annonymiity

If it were Ben Polis, the revelation probably would have been written in crayon.

So a club says to a sponsor :"We are going to improve .......... we will have some exciting early picks playing for us next year .... get on board!"

Is that boasting? Does that prove tanking? NO and NO

It is emotive language from story hungry media - trying to match Wilson's lead. It is tabloid journalism at its worst

• Like 2

That's some lateral thinking there deeluded. By the sounds of things, I am not sure this official was slumped over a bar, whiskey in hand whilst weeping about their plan or trying to come across as refreshingly honest. I think they were more talking themselves up!

I'm not sure who your talking about, but I'm referring to our footy people, & us on these forums, talking openly in non hushed tones about 'List Managing' to a stronger playing list.

and targeting certain draft picks to do that job.

The footy person or persons,,, who have agreed with us on these forums have only openly discussed the plans, maybe a little awkwardly, doing it out aloud. sounds like a brag because of the awkwardness.

these people have taken the risk on they're careers to facilitate our betterment, and have gone out on a limb for us...

It's a pity the footy world can handle it when its quiet & suits they're wants, but when an old foe looks like climbing back to be a threat, & threatens the order of things of the last 40 Yrs, they want to push us back down.

lets not help them, by destroying our own recent heros, who maybe have made some mistakes, but have done a lot of good in turning over much of our wasteland.

We are on our way, but just not as quickly as most of us thought would unrealistically happen. Inc' myself.

the castaways, who made foreign shores only to turn the foreign guns on us, need to be seen with disdain.

Edited by dee-luded
  • Like 1

And doesn't boasting about it give it an air of doing soemthing or at least believing it was perfectly legal.

if not legal at worst condoned and whilst not sanctioned , encouraged !!