The Midfield Thread.

cowboy_from_hell

So we have boosted our key position area's with Dawes and Hogan and we have Viney and pick 4 will go to another mid. I still think our midfield is our weak point but I am wondering if anyone thinks Blease,Sylvia or any other potential mid can give Jones a chop out this year. I'm hoping JT will release the shackles next year. I think if he improves we improve. Another smokey is Evans. I really hope his pre season is injury free and I know he won't have s heap of fitness but if he can pinch hit with Blease and others we may be ok.

We know players like Trenners, Blease, Grimes, McKenzie and even Gys have the talent and ability to be high quality midfielders. I really believe one of the main keys is for these guys to have a solid, injury free preseason under Misson and Team Neeld. While not a midfielder, TMac is proof that a good preseason can set you up for a good year. Add Viney and Pick 4 and things will look up relatively quickly. I'd also be interested to see what Tynan and Taggert can bring to the senior team in 2013.

• Like 1

I think we still people that can play the role of outside midfielders, Blease, Sylvia,Watts,Bail,Barry,Howe,Morton,Bennell,but I would love another experienced 100 game plus outside mid.

Our backs are fine with Frawley,McDonald,Garland,Sellar,Grimes etc.

Forwards now looking great with Clark,Dawes,Byrnes,Hogan

Inside mids very healthy now with Jones Viney Mckenzie Trengove and possibly Wines.

Rucks also strong with Jamar,Gawny, Fitzpatrick and Spencer.

So the final piece for mine is that experienced runner, who can deliver a pass on the chest of our forwards.

I think many people under rate Evans. I believe if he gets his body right he could become a A class AFL Midfielder.

I have watched many of the games and he is such a hard player to actually fault. He is much better then many of our current first 22 mids when he is fit and he isn't scared to go forward and kick a goal. The kid has much more class in his game then most of our other mids.

• Like 4

Trenners is the key

Will he be the dynamic attacking midfielder he first promised to be - or the slowish defensive player he was last year?

Viney, Pick 4, Evans Taggart and co may be part of an elite midfield group going forward - but I'm not sure we can realistically expect them to play key roles next year. I have seen Viney play - and he will make an impact from day 1 - but whether he can do it week in /week out in his first year is problematical. He is an extraordinarily physical player - and his young body will take time to get used to bumping into mature bodies.

Whether or not Trenners is able to lift will be pivotal to the performance of our midfield next year

[ Viney has exams until mid November. I wonder if he'll join his mates on schoollies after that]

Edited by hoopla
  • Like 3

Trenners is the key

Will he be the dynamic attacking midfielder he first promised to be - or the slowish defensive player he was last year?

Viney, Pick 4, Evans Taggart and co may be part of an elite midfield group going forward - but I'm not sure we can realistically expect them to play key roles next year. I have seen Viney play - and he will make an impact from day 1 - but whether he can do it week in /week out in his first year is problematical. He is an extraordinarily physical player - and his young body will take time to get used to bumping into mature bodies.

Whether or not Trenners is able to lift will be pivotal to the performance of our midfield next year

I agree. If JT is fit with Jones in form and hopefully Viney and Pick 4 can have impact we can cause some headaches but a lot depends on JT.

• Like 1

Sadly if Gysberts survives the list cutting I think he will be at least 2 years away from being able to make an impact. His body just is not right for AFL right now, both his fitness and size is not up to scratch, and from reports his attitude is not either.

Sadly if Gysberts survives the list cutting I think he will be at least 2 years away from being able to make an impact. His body just is not right for AFL right now, both his fitness and size is not up to scratch, and from reports his attitude is not either.

That's where one of our problems is. I saw Joel Mac line up in the middle a few times this year. That's where bloody Gysberts should be if he sorted himself out. Neeld said we broke even with inside 50's in the second half of the year but it didn't seem like it and I like Joel Mac's efforts but a midfielder he is not.

Edited by cowboy_from_hell

Dom Barry.

Granted all I've seen of him (like the majority of us) is a 2 minute highlight package, but in this highlight package I see a guy who has incredible pace and dare I say it, an elite kick.

Obviously, like every new recruit it will take time to assess what role they may be suited to, but I can see him earning a spot in the 22, and I see no reason why that can't be an outside mid over time.

I believe we have two other options for outside mids currently on our list. They are Blease and Nicholson- Blease lacks the tank and Nicholson lacks the foot skills but both have that speed to break away from the packs. If they can work on their shortcomings we could end up with 3 legitimate options to fill an outside mid role.

Failing that we use our first round pick from 2013 and use it on the best mid (outside) that we can find.

I honestly feel that whilst compared to most rival's mids we still fall short- we are bridging the gap quite rapidly. Next year we will at least be competitive with most mids, we will still get smashed by many. 2014 however- an extra preseason for our current mids and a year under the belt for Viney/Wines, (?) another early first rounder and the inclusion of Hogan (although not a mid,) and we start winning a lot more.

From there the sky is the limit.

Go Dees!

Edited by SloonieMcFloonieloone
  • Like 2

If you count Morton as a mid, he's had shoulder surgery and will be on a modified program until Christmas.

Might as well write off 2013 for him then because according to plenty here he is unable to play a decent game without a full pre-season. And by the end of 2013 he will be out of contract...

I've been hearing Damien Barrett and Terry Wallace bang on for a week and a half about how Melbourne haven't addressed their key deficiency so far in the trade period i.e. spreading from the contest and outside run from midfielders. To an extent they are right and of course, we could always do with a few more guys with sizzling pace and high-level endurance, but so could every other club. I think the main issue is the fitness of the list, relative to the benchmark teams in the AFL. This will sort itself out to some extent once the list reaches the benchmark level of fitness over the next two years. Once the fitness base is there, the players will be able to run into space harder and more often during a game. They don't necessarily have to be super-quick, they just need the endurance to run hard all day and the footy nous to run into the right spots, in line with the game plan that Neeld is trying to bed down.

How many quality mids can you add at the one time though? yo any true effect?

We have Viney and Pick4, and Barry, And Taggert all who have not played any games for the MFC.

Then Tynan who has played 1 or 2, Gysberts who missed last season with injury and only got the one half chance last season. Evans also.

I would count that as close to adding 7 mids under the age of 20 to our list? anyone else think this is still ALOT?

• Like 2

Neeld is correct in saying that we matched 50/50 for contested ball in the midfield over the last half of 2012 season. It is the next ball movement, those players 5-7 metres away who receive the ball, who can run and carry and deliver. Forward spread players who are vital in the modern game.

Watts can do it down back.

Blease will be a gun.

Bail is still in the potential versus performance stakes

Byrnes will deomstrate this in the forward half of the ground.

Tynan, Taggart are unknown quantities at this stage.

Barry was recruited for this job and I reckon we will recruit another like him in the draft.

Edited by Maldonboy38

We're supposedly trying to address a mid now with Dawes out of the way (granted may be an inside mid) http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7415/newsid/149842/default.aspx

With Ray likely to stay at Saints and supposedly we have showed no interest in Stevens...any word on which mids we will target now? Must be an under the radar type given we don't have much to offer in terms of trades other than Martin, Gys and Morton. Maybe it's just delisted FAs like Rodan.

And agree with Cowboy on please no more Joel Mac in the midfield.

We're supposedly trying to address a mid now with Dawes out of the way (granted may be an inside mid) http://www.melbourne...42/default.aspx

With Ray likely to stay at Saints and supposedly we have showed no interest in Stevens...any word on which mids we will target now? Must be an under the radar type given we don't have much to offer in terms of trades other than Martin, Gys and Morton. Maybe it's just delisted FAs like Rodan.

And agree with Cowboy on please no more Joel Mac in the midfield.

How about this kid. Could be available for a late pick.

#72 North Melbourne - Anthony Tipungwuti (NT – Fwd/Def)

Height: 174cm, Weight: 72kg, DOB: 22/04/1993

Recruited from: Gippsland Power

Style:

Player comparison:

Range: 50-rookie

Profile: Really special player. Has sensational pace and enjoys taking opposition players on like few others can. Really evasive and can create time easily. Duel sided. Good skill set. Not a tall lad, but gee he can play! Still needs to build an endurance base but that will come. Can play back or forward and has a Leon Davis type feel to his game that makes him exciting regardless of where he plays.

or

#75 West Coast - Shannon Taylor (WA –Fwd/ Mid)

Height: 177cm, Weight: 72kg, DOB: 05/02/1994

Recruited from: Claremont

Style:

Player comparison: Kirk Ugle (Taller)

Range: 35-rookie

Profile: Taylor is an absolute speedster with unbelievable pace and agility. At the 2011 draft combine managed the best times for the 10m, 20m sprints, repeat sprints and agility. Tackling game is solid but has the potential to be elite in this area of his game with his pace. Picks the ball up cleanly, has clean hands and has some hurt factor but kicking while sometimes lacking consistency is mostly good. Physically still has a long way to go and still has an incomplete game but it seems to be coming. Endurance is building and he can now play for greater periods through the midfield and have an influence. Also despite his lean build Taylor has surprising ball winning ability which is encouraging. Taylor at the next level is probably most suited to a role as a small forward but with his improved play through the midfield it looks like he could also spend some minutes on a wing and do some damage there. Probably hasn’t improved as much as expected this year but still plenty to work with.

or

#66 Port Adelaide – Tom Temay (VIC – Mid/Def)

Height: 179cm, Weight: 74kg, DOB: 06/02/1994

Recruited from: Sandringham Dragons

Style:

Player Comparison:

Range: 30-70

Profile: Temay is a midfielder and defender with the ability to play a variety of roles. Temay has shown throughout the u18 championships that he has the ability to cleanly use the ball out of the back half. Strong 1v1 player. Kicking skills are above average and at times set up some meaningful drive. Decision making also very good. Temay also at times has shown the ability to play some shutdown roles through the midfield or down back, most notably on Lachie Whitfield who he competed very well against. Temay through the midfield is more of an outside/linkup type but does have some ball winning ability and isn’t a soft outside player.

and lastly

#64 Melbourne – Anthony Bonaddio (VIC – Mid/Fwd)

Height: 174cm, Weight: 73kg, DOB: 06/01/1994

Recruited from: Northern Knights

Style:

Player comparison:

Range: 45-rookie

Profile: Really like what Bonaddio can do. High production midfielder who has been good for some time. Big time ball winner through the midfield. Can win his own ball while also getting some outside ball. Has great pace and if given time and space can hurt you. Skill level exceptionally high and has big hurt factor by foot with the penetration he has on his kick. When he sneaks forward is very much a goal scoring threat.

The way these write-ups are done you wonder why their not top 20.

Edited by Theo

I think our main problem next year, as has been for the last few years will be our inability to spread from contests. I think we are headed in the right direction but are still some time off having a very competitive midfield. Viney has been a great get for us, but it's unfair to think that he'll be able to significantly help our spread from a contest. As much as many people won't see it, I think Beamers exodus will have an impact on us (albeit him not playing a hell of a lot, and when he did his head certainly wasn't there).

Also I reckon we are still searching for a player to replace Scully.

I think our main problem next year, as has been for the last few years will be our inability to spread from contests. I think we are headed in the right direction but are still some time off having a very competitive midfield. Viney has been a great get for us, but it's unfair to think that he'll be able to significantly help our spread from a contest. As much as many people won't see it, I think Beamers exodus will have an impact on us (albeit him not playing a hell of a lot, and when he did his head certainly wasn't there).

Also I reckon we are still searching for a player to replace Scully.

I disagree with your thoughts. Well some of them anyway

Edited by SloonieMcFloonieloone

Comp pick, Martin, or PSD3 needs to get us a 22-26 year old mid with some outside run.

If we do that we will have an A+ Trade Period.

this would be the guy if he last imo RPFC, had a great combine, likened to Isaac Smith

#38 West Coast – Dean Towers (VIC – Mid)

Height: 189cm, Weight: 83kg, DOB:

Recruited from: North Ballarat

Style:

Player comparison: Isaac Smith

Range: 25-65

Profile: Mature ager who has really impressed this year. Towers has that same Isaac Smith type ability to just run. Give him time and space and he will just leave you behind and it’s a real feature of his game. Skill level solid and is strong overhead. Tested incredibly well in the draft combine not only in speed testing but also in the leaping testing demonstrating some real leaping ability.

Or the younger Version

#29 Richmond (Compensation Pick via Port Adelaide) – Matthew Haynes (VIC - Util)

Height: 189cm, Weight: 76kg, DOB: 19/03/1994

Recruited from: Northern Knights

Style:

Player comparison: Rhyce Shaw (Taller)

Range: 10-45

Profile: Haynes is a really versatile line breaker. Really broke onto the scene in 2011 and for someone of his height, his pace is absolutely incredible! Just bursts and goes past everyone with ease and is incredibly difficult to run down. Also would be very interested to see his meters gained statistics because if you let him he would sprint the length of the field. I think he could become a very good back flanker at the next level but he does have the versatility to play on a wing or forward. The other strength with Haynes is his marking ability which is well above average. Haynes has played much of the season down back and his shutdown game and as I understand it his running game at times has been restricted due to a hamstring injury he has at various times been struggling with. Kicking ability ok but I wouldn’t describe it as a feature of his game. I’ve been impressed on occasion with Haynes’ ability to kick at full pace and have been really surprised with his ability to hit a target when running at the speed Haynes does but also at times can choose the wrong option or slightly miss the intended target. I don’t see Haynes as a first round selection as he doesn’t quite have enough strings to his bow for my liking but none the less is an exciting line breaker he could add something to a team.

I want a bloke with AFL experience that can come in and make a difference but Towers is intriguing.

I wonder if there is an OOC mid with solid skills we could push into the PSD.

Unfortunately we have no picks in Towers range. Would've been a taker at 20 , but yeah......

I