The type of club you want to support ?

Hannibal

Right now I am wondering if I will see a flag. It starts with purely competing for every ball, sponsorship dollar, extra fan, the list goes on.

I want other teams to know that when they play us it will be torrid. The hawks, cats and swans have a lot of sides beaten as they run out the race.

C'mon Dees

• Like 1

I want a club that wins premierships.......simple isnt it?

I too want to see premierships but that won't happen until we learn to play with the same ferocity as Sydney Swans. Every single one of their players is just so fearless and fanatical. They haven't got a lot of stars but you know the old slogan," A champion team will beat a team of champions". Gee, I am so envious when I watch how they tackle and attack the ball. No, I'm not changing my loyalty just wishing our beloved Demons could emulate them.

• Like 2

Hawthorn have won 10 flags since 1971. Can any of us truly imagine how cool that would be??

Take the Geelong, Sydney, Collingwood and the Eagles teams of the past decade and compare them to the current Hawthorn team.

I want a club like the former, not the latter, is my point.

So what sort of club do you think you have ?

Has the ruthlessness started ?

In the Football Department it has but not in the Admin side.

I love the history of the club, but it's never going to win us a flag and as long as we continue to dwell on the past we will continue to live in it. Cam Schwab needs to swallow some nasty pills and the board need to grow some nuts and start to vigorously defend the club against the onslaught of abuse levelled at us in the media.

We need to get out of the shell we are in and let players from other clubs know we are on the march and if they want to join in, now is the time. The football department must be told that we want results and we need to see significant improvement in the way the team performs in the next season; we can’t have another Bailey situation where he was allowed to just drift along without producing anything.

We have to be ruthless come draft time and if there are any players that we need, we have to go after them with some conviction and not just a level of interest. I’d even consider Cloke just for the “sit up and look at us” factor.

We can’t just sit there all meek and mild anymore and if McLardy hasn’t got the “you know what in him” then he should pass the baton on to someone that has.

• Like 2

Take the Geelong, Sydney, Collingwood and the Eagles teams of the past decade and compare them to the current Hawthorn team.

I want a club like the former, not the latter, is my point.

Hawthorn have been successful for 40 years. What is your problem?

You prefer the Meth Coke Template...

I want premierships.

I'm not sure if the nice guy way or the brute force way works best, either way you'll need smarts and luck to go with it.

Having said that, I wish we'd drugged and hypnotised Mick Malthouse's wife last year to talk him into taking the Melbourne job. Not sure if that breaks any footy rules.

I love the history of the club, but it's never going to win us a flag and as long as we continue to dwell on the past we will continue to live in it. Cam Schwab needs to swallow some nasty pills and the board need to grow some nuts and start to vigorously defend the club against the onslaught of abuse levelled at us in the media.

I have seen the Nasty Side in Cam and believe me it aint pretty.

As for the Board we will see their Balls over the next 2 seasons.

They showed balls last year when getting rid of Bails, overhauling the FD, employing a coach which will not take any nonsense.

Getting Mitch Clark on board.

We haven't been able to get someone of his calibre through trades for years.

The Dead wood is on the way out. I'm pumped, because as my Mantra says "Lets hope this is the start of a new Culture"

All we need to do is pick up some decent kids in the Draft and we are on our way.

We need to get out of the shell we are in and let players from other clubs know we are on the march and if they want to join in, now is the time. The football department must be told that we want results and we need to see significant improvement in the way the team performs in the next season; we can’t have another Bailey situation where he was allowed to just drift along without producing anything.

We have to be ruthless come draft time and if there are any players that we need, we have to go after them with some conviction and not just a level of interest. I’d even consider Cloke just for the “sit up and look at us” factor.

We can’t just sit there all meek and mild anymore and if McLardy hasn’t got the “you know what in him” then he should pass the baton on to someone that has.

You are covering it pretty well for me RobbieF.

I think that is why I hate that bloody Blazer so much.

It is a symbol of us being stuck in the past.

It is half a century since we were consistently great.

Lets join the 21st Century and stop living on past glories.

They are so far "past" that most supporters were not alive when they happened.

I want a club that wins when it's playing poorly.

I want a club that crushes weaker opposition.

I want a club that other clubs hate to play.

I want a club that when other clubs look at the fixture at the start of the year say: '#@%! We have to play Melbourne twice!'

I want a club that the League caves in to when we say: 'Clash strip? We don't need no stinking clash strip!'

I want a club that holds the most number of premierships.

I want a club that dominates the free to air TV schedule, the Friday night TV spots and any sundry TV ad that features footy.

I want a club that has the greatest number of AusKick jumper wearers.

I want a club that other clubs' supporters look at and say: 'Why can't we be like Melbourne?'

This sounds like Collingwood. Except for the last point.

• Like 1

I want to support a club that will chase Roos next season if he's available.

I want to support a club that supports its players, but knows when to let them go for the greater good

I want to support a club that does whatever it takes within the rules, to win a flag.

I want to support a winner club.

• Like 1

I want flags at any cost. It's a professional sport now far removed from the amateur days. Winning IS everything.

The only thing that matters, the only reason I watch and follow the Demons, is to see us win premierships (even just one!!) I wouldn't waste my time and money otherwise.

why.. to replace that second rate bloke ?

Roos has shown contempt for Melbourne... he lost me. I rated him . Hes just one of them now....agenda driven others.

I want to support a club that supports its players, but knows when to let them go for the greater good

I want to support a club that does whatever it takes within the rules, to win a flag.

I want to support a winner club.

why do you suppose that not exaclty whats taking place now.

Youd probably trip over a nugget and curse your broken heel.

You need to embrace what we have and whats happening and stop looking into distant pastures

why.. to replace that second rate bloke ?

Roos has shown contempt for Melbourne... he lost me. I rated him . Hes just one of them now....agenda driven others.

why do you suppose that not exaclty whats taking place now.

Youd probably trip over a nugget and curse your broken heel.

You need to embrace what we have and whats happening and stop looking into distant pastures

Dude, are you following me around the forum?

Boring.

P.S.- I never said we weren't doing what I wrote. I am a 14 year member for a reason. Signed up yet?

Edited by Jaded

In recent times a couple of posters have mentioned the type of club they want Melbourne to be, such as discussions of not wanting to go behind Ross Lyon's manager's back, etc.

Carlton just sacked a coach with a year to run on his contract, because they saw a better one out there.

Fremantle approached Ross Lyon directly and blindsided Mark Harvey, who also had a year to run on his contract, because they thought he could do a better job. Some here wouldn't like how they handled it.

AFL football is a ruthless industry and premierships are exceedingly difficult to win. And it's getting harder every year. I happen to hold the view that the only thing in footy that matters is winning flags and I want my club to do anything within the rules to win. In fact I want them to stretch them to their breaking point. If they step on toes great. If they're considered arrogant even better. It's all about winning a flag and stuff the rest.

I suspect that not all share that view. Many of you want respect for the club in how they handle varying situations. Far from a "nice guys come last" mentality, it's more "how you play the game" that counts. You want success too, but not at any cost. And not if it's done in a way that you don't respect. Ours is the oldest club in the land, it wrote the rules, and respect is as important as success could be your mantra.

Which camp are you in ? And do you even know how those presently presiding over Melbourne want to "play the game" ? Maybe you think that this is over-thought and that most clubs are pretty similar. If so, how do they ever stand out from the pack ?

A good post BH - finally someone has seen the light!

IMO it's always been a case of 'what ever it takes' - the club just forgot about that when they sacked Norm Smith.

I don't believe we have that approach now in any part of the club - we need a complete turnover of board, admin and coaching staff, as a starting point. I know I'll cop the usual flak for that comment, but it's reality. We have 'a long way to go and a short time to get there' - ruthless change is essential. As for cost, look at Carlton - how much has it cost them to make the radical changes a lot of demon supporters say are not possible? Carlton will succeed - we could do worse than learn from them.

Edited by Hardnut

A good post BH - finally someone has seen the light!

IMO it's always been a case of 'what ever it takes' - the club just forgot about that when they sacked Norm Smith.

I don't believe we have that approach now in any part of the club - we need a complete turnover of board, admin and coaching staff, as a starting point. I know I'll cop the usual flack for that comment, but it's reality. We have 'a long way to go and a short time to get there' - ruthless change is essential. As for cost, look at Carlton - how much has it cost them to make the radical changes a lot of demon supporters say are not possible? Carlton will succeed - we could do worse than learn from them.

You must be a troll cause that's the dumbest post I've read on here and it can't be serious.

You must be a troll cause that's the dumbest post I've read on here and it can't be serious.

Didn't Carlton just sack the coaching staff (minus one I think), appoint a new experienced coach, and are now looking for assistants and players? Hello!

Roos is a one trick pony that was in the right place at the right time.

He knows that trick is now old.

Thats why he's now talking carp on the couch with Sheahan.

Didn't Carlton just sack the coaching staff (minus one I think), appoint a new experienced coach, and are now looking for assistants and players? Hello!

Oh! That's right I forgot that our list is so much better than theirs and Malthouse could walk in and win a flag next year.

Do you ever put any thought in to your posts?

Roos is a one trick pony that was in the right place at the right time.

He knows that trick is now old.

Thats why he's now talking carp on the couch with Sheahan.

Winning a premiership is a pretty good trick. We'd kill to be a one trick pony, and the moment we're just an ass.