2012 London Olympics

Macca

Our rowers have done well . We've made 5 of 6 finals so far .

Had a look at the 4 x 100 mens freestle relay again . Magnussen got us to 2nd (.15 behind the Americans) and we were in front of the French by .10 (The eventual winner) .

Interestingly we were 1.7 seconds behind the French at the finish . So either the French swam out of their skins or the rest of Magnussen's teammates weren't up to it (or more likely , a combination of both) .

James didn't swim well , but none of teammates did either . Especially the anchor leg . But let's not spoil a good story with the truth hey ? Everyone loves a scapegoat . :)

Here's the official result , click on the + in the top right hand corner for the splits ...

http://www.london201...1100/index.html

Edited by Macca

Our rowers have done well . We've made 5 of 6 finals so far .

Had a look at the 4 x 100 mens freestle relay again . Magnussen got us to 2nd (.15 behind the Americans) and we were in front of the French by .10 (The eventual winner) .

Interestingly we were 1.7 seconds behind the French at the finish . So either the French swam out of their skins or the rest of Magnussen's teammates weren't up to it (or more likely , a combination of both) .

James didn't swim well , but none of teammates did either . Especially the anchor leg . But let's not spoil a good story with the truth hey ? Everyone loves a scapegoat . :)

Here's the official result , click on the + in the top right hand corner for the splits ...

http://www.london201...1100/index.html

Maybe they were (fish) tanking.

Maybe they were (fish) tanking.

Ha ha ! Who knows ? That's the Olympics for ya though . Swings and roundabouts . Unexpected Gold and unexplained losses . It would be rather boring if all the favourites won . Memories of Seiben and Armstrong are still vivid . Jon was an unknown and Duncan wasn't really on the radar .

Favourites ? Meh .......These guys and gals often get just 1 shot at it . That's it . In most other sports you get multiple chances . I give 'em a bit of grace because of the circumstances .

Our media have become vultures and it's rubbing off on the general public . We over-achieve as a Nation at the Olympics . 4th overall at Sydney and Athens with only China , Russia and the USA in front of us . That is phenomenal when you think about it .

Edited by Macca

Every-one loves to shove it up the fella with the mouth aswell.

French , yanks & russians to name 3.

Didn't we enjoy rolling the yanks in Sydney when Gary Hall Jr said they'd "Smash us like guitars."

Magnussen was only 8 then tho'.

Edited by My TD

Ha ha ! Who knows ? That's the Olympics for ya though . Swings and roundabouts . Unexpected Gold and unexplained losses . It would be rather boring if all the favourites won . Memories of Seiben and Armstrong are still vivid . Jon was an unknown and Duncan wasn't really on the radar .

Favourites ? Meh .......These guys and gals often get just 1 shot at it . That's it . In most other sports you get multiple chances . I give 'em a bit of grace because of the circumstances .

Our media have become vultures and it's rubbing off on the general public . We over-achieve as a Nation at the Olympics . 4th overall at Sydney and Athens with only China , Russia and the USA in front of us . That is phenomenal when you think about it .

I agree with the above but get the jitters when someone comes out making huge statements for races that are decided in hundreths of a second.

Only takes a minor thing to be off and your gone.

I'm hoping Pearson can get the job done and know shes been posting the quickest times for a couple of years but again, theres a bunch of hurdles between her and Gold.

Anything can happen.

I agree with the above but get the jitters when someone comes out making huge statements for races that are decided in hundreths of a second.

Only takes a minor thing to be off and your gone.

I'm hoping Pearson can get the job done and know shes been posting the quickest times for a couple of years but again, theres a bunch of hurdles between her and Gold.

Anything can happen.

Always have to factor in the Athlete from another nation going gangbusters . Sally will need to be at her best and hope that nobody has the race of their life (which happens more than people think)

Interesting that Magnussen came out and said he didn't sleep for 2 days before the relay . I hate excuses and I would rather have not heard that . It does give us an idea of the pressure these athlete's are under though . He looked a bit sluggish in his heat tonight and goes again in the Semi's (in about 5 hours) .

Got a feeling he'll have a big race in the medley relay (unless Roberts replaces him) . Though Roberts struggled a bit tonight as well .

Aussie teams in action today

Wed 1st 5.30pm . Men's Hockey . Australia / Spain

Wed 1st 11.30pm . Women's Basketball . Australia / Brazil

Thurs 2nd 4.40am . Women's Water Polo . Australia / Great Britain

Rowing semi's and finals from 6.30pm - we're represented in 6 races tonight (including 3 finals) . Swimming heats from 7.00pm and the Cycling time trials (Mens and Womens) get away at 9.30pm .

We're also in 3 Swimming finals from 4.30am . Brenton Rickard in the 200 Breaststroke final (4.30am) , James Magnussen in the 100 Freestyle final (5.20am) and the girls are in the 4 x 200 Freestyle relay final (6.04am)

For all other 'Aussies in Action today' you can go to this link ...

http://www.london201...scomptoday.html

Edited by Macca

Paid the price.

By 1 ... hundedth of a second.

Fantasy that.

Saw the women take silver in the doubles rowing last night.

Came from 4th in the last 500m.

Great race girls.

For some reason I feel like buying a Jeep.

Edited by My TD

0.01 wow

Well done to the girls 4 by 2

The girls were great .

Re the 100 metre final - I think .01 converts to about 4 centimetres . Sullivan lost by .11 in Beijing . We're getting closer :)

Great race girls.

We've got lots more chances in the Rowing as well . Finals are on for the next 3 nights (I think)

As ya said , great effort from the girls to come from 4th to grab Silver .

By 1 ... hundedth of a second.

Fantasy that.

Great race girls.

Great effort by the girls. The noise generated by the stands in the last 500m must have been something else.

Magnussen had hit the front with 25m to go, was a good head in front with 15m to go and couldn't hold on.

He was .04 slower than the winner off the marks. Makes a difference!

On closer examination .01 of a second converts to about 2 centimetres . Less than an inch !! That's based on the swim covering 2 metres per second over 100 metre's (roughly). .04 is about 8 centimetres . I must say , I thought he'd lost it (to the naked eye) . But I'm wondering how my eyes are so good that I can pick up a 2 centimetre margin :blink:

Anyway , here's the Aussie team events tonight . Need wins in each of these events to stay alive or consolidate ...

Thurs 2nd 7.00pm . Men's Water Polo . Australia / Spain

Thurs 2nd 7.45pm . Women's Hockey . Australia / USA

Thurs 2nd 8.15pm . Men's Basketball . Australia / China

Thurs 2nd 8.30pm . Men's Volleyball . Australia / Bulgaria

We're in 2 rowing finals , 3 swimming finals and the cycling at the velodrome starts after midnight .

For a more detailed Aussie program tonight ...

Edited by Macca

Well, our men's waterpolo team got done 13-9 so that's curtains there. Close tussles taking place in the hockey and basketball as we speak.

Had a look at the table and the 'Sharks' have still got an outside chance of getting through to the QF's . We play Croatia and then Greece . Though we'd have to beat Greece and possibly Croatia as well to advance . I'd forgotten we'd beaten Kazakhstan so have adjusted my earlier post .

http://en.wikipedia....rnament#Group_B

The Hockeyroos go to 2nd place in their group after a 1 - 0 win over the USA tonight . Well done girls .

http://en.wikipedia....39;s_tournament

Edited by Macca

Boomers had an impressive win over China . Keeps that QF spot open . We may end up facing the Americans though . That will be fun !

Checked the sailing standings tonight . We're leading 2 classes (Mens 49er and the Womens Elliot 6m) and we're currently 2nd in the Mens Laser and 3rd in the Mens 470 .

Silver for Jessica Fox in the Womens K1 Canoe Slalom . Fantastic effort for an 18yo . Exciting competition as well .

028365-jessica-fox.jpg

Should we tank to avoid them ?

Controversy with the boxing judging.

Who woulda thought ?

Dimwitriou says absolutely no tanking goes on in the Olympics, especially in badminton.

Boxing should be relegated to non-existence, a once fine sport has lost all credibility at all levels. MMA (mixed martial arts) should be in the Olympics - they have most elements that make up MMA, elements that are mostly useless on their own and hardly great to watch. Mixed Martial Arts is now a well regulated, world wide sport, get it in.

The Kookaburra's drew with Argentina (2 - 2) . I'm such a mozz that even 'Liking' H_T's post # 68 has brought bad luck ! That's it - nothing from me prediction wise - Nothing !

Fri 3rd 5.30pm . Men's Hockey . Australia / Argentina

Fri 3rd 8.15pm . Women's Basketball . Australia / Russia

Sat 4th 12.30am . Women's Water Polo . Australia / Russia

For all other 'Aussies in Action' tonight ...

Edited by Macca

If anybody has been watching the sailing coverage you would have to agree that this is the most bias commentary ever to go to air.

It's basically the Ben Ainslie show, he is the only competitor and it's a completion to see how many times his name can be repeated.

Apparently there's a country called Ben Ainslie and he appears on camera , no matter where he's place. Absolute disgrace!

Silver Australia , SILVER !

No , seriously , we need some GOLD !

Any sort of gold will suffice - Trampolining , Greco-Roman Wrestling , anything :)

Team events tonight ...

Sat 4th 5.30pm . Women's Hockey . Australia / South Africa

Sat 4th 8.20pm . Men's Water Polo . Australia / Croatia

Sat 4th 11.45pm . Men's Volleyball . Australia / Italy

Sun 5th 5.00am . Men's Basketball . Australia / Great Britain

We're in Rowing , Womens Triathlon , Track and Field , Cycling and Swimming finals tonight . For all other 'Aussie' participation ...

Edited by Macca

MMA (mixed martial arts) should be in the Olympics - they have most elements that make up MMA, elements that are mostly useless on their own and hardly great to watch. Mixed Martial Arts is now a well regulated, world wide sport, get it in.

Don't know if a sport where people beat the living snot out of eachother without any protective equipment/clothing really fits in with what the Olympics are all about??? :huh: