Night of the Long Knives ... This Thursday.

Range Rover

Watch the Sydney game again.

I watched him closely, and reckon it's close to one of the worst games I've seen him him play.

Reminded me a lot of Scully late last year when he was playing not to get injured.

He was a warrior at different stages last year, but he is playing with a serious chip on his shoulder at the minute!

Agree. Also at the game in Sydney and he consitently opted for a second or third option rather than the quick first option, then gets caught.

The younger players are trying their guts out and I apoloigse to Jack Watts, becasue althought he played in the backline (a smart move by the match committee) his possesion count, all of which were under pressuer was terrifc and was his best game in the circumstances.

Brad Green has been a very good player for MFC over a long period of time. Yes hes near the end and probably hurting the way he was treated by Neeld but I for one hope he is shown some respect by MFC and the supporters in what is obviously his final year.

I agree with the notion that our young players need the physical support, but are they actually getting the physical support? I don't see a reason why you couldn't play Bate, Magner and Couch in the middle of the ground and have those bodies absorb the punishment that Moloney and Sylvia would otherwise cop. It's not exactly a Class A midfield, but I can't see it performing any worse than the one we've got going now. I also can't see how Sylvia's position is even remotely tenable in the current side and Moloney isn't far behind. The only thing that might change my mind is that we've got another run of top teams so perhaps we might spare a few younger players the psychological impost of being mauled by good teams.

Man, I yearn for the days when Moloney was a flat track bully.

Yeah (mournfully).

I want to see Couch in there. And Bate currently deserves more time than a few others.

I agree with the notion that our young players need the physical support, but are they actually getting the physical support? I don't see a reason why you couldn't play Bate, Magner and Couch in the middle of the ground and have those bodies absorb the punishment that Moloney and Sylvia would otherwise cop. It's not exactly a Class A midfield, but I can't see it performing any worse than the one we've got going now. I also can't see how Sylvia's position is even remotely tenable in the current side and Moloney isn't far behind. The only thing that might change my mind is that we've got another run of top teams so perhaps we might spare a few younger players the psychological impost of being mauled by good teams.

Agree. Whether you play the likes of Couch and Taggert or Moloney and Sylvia, at least you know the former two will have a crack and "try" and provide a physical presence. That's all we can ask for.

• Like 1

RR - I suspect I'll come in for some criticism here, but I think Davey is trying. I just think the game's moved beyond him a bit.

I'd play him wholly in our forward 50 and instruct him just to effect tackles, nothing more.

It's, the games, moved to a contested footy style, where theres nowhere to hide Aaron.

Keep Bennell in & drop Davey...

There are others I think, who played well last game with Casey.

Yeah but I don't give a crap if Moloney gets shown up, I care if Taggart gets smashed into a pulp by Judd and any steps he made at Casey are shattered along with his confidence.

Don't get me wrong, I want these lazy sooks out as much as anyone, but you keep getting rid of Bruce, Robbo, Yze and Junior and you are left with a bunch of kids who can barely run out a game, let alone physically compete.

It has to be done gradually and it has to be done right.

Neeld can't keep putting players out for public execution. I might not like Davey, but he probably makes Bennell walk taller. I may think that Moloney is a flat track bully, but I'm sure Bail feels safer when he's around.

If you think that replacing these senior players with kids on Thursday night will help us get any closer to a win on Sunday, then you are sadly mistaken. We will still lose, by a lot, and damage a whole host of under-cooked kids.

Besides, I want to get maximum value out of Sylvia, Moloney and Davey if/when they [censored] off at the end of the year. Playing at Casey won't achieve that.

Edited by Jaded

If you think that replacing these senior players with kids on Thursday night will help us get any closer to a win on Sunday, then you are sadly mistaken. We will still lose, by a lot, and damage a whole host of under-cooked kids.

Besides, I want to get maximum value out of Sylvia, Moloney and Davey if/when they piss off at the end of the year. Playing at Casey won't achieve that.

I'm not talking about replacing Moloney and Sylvia with kids, I'm talking about replacing them with Couch (who is no kid - make no mistake, he was recruited because he has a man's body) and Bate. I know it sounds a bit crazy - me from 2011 is currently wetting himself with laughter at the notion of replacing Sylvia with Bate, but I just want players who compete. I agree that it's not going to affect the result as ultimately you're replacing them with inferior players, but at least you get players who will put in the effort required and do the work required. It's just about setting the standard more than anything.

• Like 5

Yup. But then it's gone so far past him it's now not worth persisting. Watching his little brother run around proved that for me. He's such a small guy, under Neeld's system of just go in hard and forget the rest he was always going to suffer. He's an outside player playing in a team with no outside game.

Stick a fork in him, Green, Moloney, Sylvia... They're finished at MFC.

Just checked -

Alwyn Davey 2012 - Average Disposals 13.7, Average Tackles 2.7

Aaron Davey 2012 - Average Disposals 10.1, Average Tackles 4.6

Aaron is 64th in league for tackles and 5th in the team.

Not the best best in the team but far from the worst.

The one thing I dont do is consign a player to "never play again" however I have no problem with a player being dropped until he does what is required. Everyone deserves redemption. The only time to consign never to play again is at seasons end.

• Like 1

You're joking aren't you? He walked or at best jogged around the ground the other night. Did you watch the whole game? Probably the worst performance from a player I can recall and I attended 186.

In fairness, and I'm a big advocate for putting a rocket up Moloney and Sylvia, Moloney at his peak never looked like he got out of 2nd gear. It's just his style - similar to Watts.

Good post. Sums up my view without the emotional vitriol (I wear my heart on my sleeve a bit but make no apologies for it!)

Bottom line is ... put players in there who will try and give it their all. Under no circumstances should someone be handed a senior guernsey who clearly demonstrates a half-assed attitude. Ergo ... Sylvia and Moloney don't play. Get Bate, Couch and Magner around the ball and at least you're guaranteed they will have a crack.

We will still lose but we will lose with honour and an unmistakable message will be sent through the playing group.

Neeld wants to change the culture? Let's see on Thursday evening if he really has what it takes to do it.

Edited by Range Rover

Just to be contrarian, save fpr the injury to Jurrah, i'd like to see an unchanged side.

leave em all in, tell em to turn it around.

There's a great scene in the movie "Heat" where the LA detective Al Pacino plays is shaking down a recalcitrant dope dealer.

The dope dealer says ... "Where's your empathy brother? I got a sustance abuse problem".

To which Pacino replies ... "Empathy was yesterday. Today you're wasting my motherfu....ing time".

• Like 1

...............There is two sides to every story. We can punish the senior players, and we should, but then we also need to understand that by doing so, we are also punishing the younger players who desperately need the physical support and the experience. We may not see the value in these players, but they do.

The trouble, the crux of our club's desperate problem, is that they need that support and experience but are not receiving it, so why leave them there?

The one thing I dont do is consign a player to "never play again" however I have no problem with a player being dropped until he does what is required. Everyone deserves redemption. The only time to consign never to play again is at seasons end.

Rational ,considered ,calm and thoughtful.

What the hell are you doing here?

We will get nowhere with Beamer,Sylvia and Green in the side. You would think minimum of one or maybe two or in my mind hopefully three will be gone at the end of the year. Anyone who is afraid we will get smashed in the midfield without our senior players should be reminded WE ARE GETTING SMASHED all over the ground. I'd rather players who aren't quite up to it yet but are willing to buy into Neeld's plans then the old guard who disrespect Neeld and the MFC every week. Maybe we can get excited from seeing some development from players who have a future at our club and not one's who want to maintain their agenda and hopefully Neeld can find out what players he needs after seeing what players we have in stock.Maybe we can dissect Neeld's gameplan if some players could follow it so we can actually see what type of coach we have. All is not lost for me this year if I can see Taggart,Davis,Blease,Mcdonald,Cook,Sheahan,Strauss,Couch,Tapscott,Watts,Morton and so on playing and showing us something. 2013 will shape what type of year 2012 will have been for us. If 2013 doesn't include selfish bastards and Neeld gives them their marching orders then 2012 whilst unfortunate it will have been the year we needed to weed out a fair few. If 2013 includes the same old same old then even before a tackle has been missed, a ball is turned over, a chase is given up on and a coach's instructions are ignored we in my mind are destined for darkness.

Video just taken of Mark Neeld before he headed off to training and match selection this evening.

[media=]

Good RR but still running second today but an honourable mention never the less

I think the only big statement would have been for Moloney to get dropped. He still hasn't been dropped all year, if you believe the reports of his injury post-round 1. I legitimately dislike Moloney and believe our young guys would develop significantly better without his beady eyes and loud mouth around them 24/7. My dislike for him isn't personal, but is based on my observations of his behaviour over the course of a few years.

• Like 2

Just checked -

Alwyn Davey 2012 - Average Disposals 13.7, Average Tackles 2.7

Aaron Davey 2012 - Average Disposals 10.1, Average Tackles 4.6

Aaron is 64th in league for tackles and 5th in the team.

Not the best best in the team but far from the worst.

Since when did getting touch on an opponent, who has the ball, count as a tackle?

Night of the toothpicks.

After a lot of consideration I have awarded you the prize for May 24th Jackie

Sorry RR but you are back to third.

In the final analysis Jackie you won with brilliant simplicity

• Like 1