• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Mark Neeld, please relax

Deemanding

I only know our coach by glimpses in media and from a far addressing the team huddle at the MCG. However, the impression I have he's determined,articulate, has football nous, is one tough hombre, and no nonsense but very intense. All excellent attributes for an AFL coach except the intensity because it's adversely impacting and affecting the players like a disease. I realise his predecessor had a criticism leveled at him that he was too familiar with the player group and might not of made the hard decisions when necessary. At the moment the hard love isn't working. The player group are playing scared, like startled kangaroos in the headlights of a 4WD. I believe the intensity of the coach is causing self doubt in the minds of the players, that's why they look unsure , making dubious decisions under pressure, appear to be ball watching than marking an opponent and many times this year without any apparent pressure making errors. At AFL level a nano second is critical and thought processes must be crystal clear.

I think it is time for a little reflection and perspective on what Mark has inherited. there's no doubt the 186 point demolition was a low point but remember it was against a team arguably the best team in the AFL/VFL since WW2 and they where up on the day and went on to win the premiership. (A 101 point loss to a out of form Swans is a far worst result.)Implied by that great football authority(tongue in cheek) Mitch Robinson of bruise free football which the media looking for a headline,ran with. To a degree this is correct but the last coaching regime for reasons unknown didn't embrace the forward press to the extent of other teams and it appeared that we didn't start applying pressure until the ball was virtually in the opposing team's goal square. However I never thought our players couldn't defend but should of definitely soon after the opposition took control of the ball. Mark from firsthand experience in 2010, knows the MFC took Collingwood to a draw and 1 lost and with a little luck could of won both. The Collingwood team in 2012 is no stronger then their 2010 team. The core of our 2010 team is still at Mark's disposal. I believe our problems were more the result of poor tactics than the attitude and skill levels of the player group. With all the forementioned in mind, the supposed rabble won 8 and half games last year which I believe should been a solid base to go forward.

The coach should go into work tomorrow thinking the glass is half full not half empty. Think the player's at his disposal are AFL standard and make them feel that way. Don't complicate matters, players in a fragile state of mind just need to keep to the basics, run to space when we have the ball and man up when we don't. 25 to 24 goal win is better than 6 goal to 20 goal defeat. I believe the 180 degree change to the previous regime has been kill over. A revolution has occurred when only evolution was required. We have thrown the baby out with bath water. Mark please go into work tomorrow and be relaxed and make all sundry know you the days of intensity are over but the focus is no way diminished. There is still time to turn matters around and gain the respect and trust of the players and the broader Melbourne Football Club community.

Please don't think for one moment, I think ill of Mark Neeld because if he's successful,this means the MFC is successful which will make me extremely happy however, the jury is still out.

• Like 1

I don't think Mark Neeld needs our advice about relaxing but the Melbourne community should think about it. I know that might sound unsatisfactory in light of our substandard performances for most of the year to date but we are undergoing a major overhaul and it ain't easy. I expect that this is leading somewhere positive and really believe that we will see major improvement and a few different names and faces in our lineup when the seasons's over.

• Like 16

I only know our coach by glimpses in media and from a far addressing the team huddle at the MCG. However, the impression I have he's determined,articulate, has football nous, is one tough hombre, and no nonsense but very intense. All excellent attributes for an AFL coach except the intensity because it's adversely impacting and affecting the players like a disease. I realise his predecessor had a criticism leveled at him that he was too familiar with the player group and might not of made the hard decisions when necessary. At the moment the hard love isn't working. The player group are playing scared, like startled kangaroos in the headlights of a 4WD. I believe the intensity of the coach is causing self doubt in the minds of the players, that's why they look unsure , making dubious decisions under pressure, appear to be ball watching than marking an opponent and many times this year without any apparent pressure making errors. At AFL level a nano second is critical and thought processes must be crystal clear.

I think it is time for a little reflection and perspective on what Mark has inherited. there's no doubt the 186 point demolition was a low point but remember it was against a team arguably the best team in the AFL/VFL since WW2 and they where up on the day and went on to win the premiership. (A 101 point loss to a out of form Swans is a far worst result.)Implied by that great football authority(tongue in cheek) Mitch Robinson of bruise free football which the media looking for a headline,ran with. To a degree this is correct but the last coaching regime for reasons unknown didn't embrace the forward press to the extent of other teams and it appeared that we didn't start applying pressure until the ball was virtually in the opposing team's goal square. However I never thought our players couldn't defend but should of definitely soon after the opposition took control of the ball. Mark from firsthand experience in 2010, knows the MFC took Collingwood to a draw and 1 lost and with a little luck could of won both. The Collingwood team in 2012 is no stronger then their 2010 team. The core of our 2010 team is still at Mark's disposal. I believe our problems were more the result of poor tactics than the attitude and skill levels of the player group. With all the forementioned in mind, the supposed rabble won 8 and half games last year which I believe should been a solid base to go forward.

The coach should go into work tomorrow thinking the glass is half full not half empty. Think the player's at his disposal are AFL standard and make them feel that way. Don't complicate matters, players in a fragile state of mind just need to keep to the basics, run to space when we have the ball and man up when we don't. 25 to 24 goal win is better than 6 goal to 20 goal defeat. I believe the 180 degree change to the previous regime has been kill over. A revolution has occurred when only evolution was required. We have thrown the baby out with bath water. Mark please go into work tomorrow and be relaxed and make all sundry know you the days of intensity are over but the focus is no way diminished. There is still time to turn matters around and gain the respect and trust of the players and the broader Melbourne Football Club community.

Please don't think for one moment, I think ill of Mark Neeld because if he's successful,this means the MFC is successful which will make me extremely happy however, the jury is still out.

Deemanding, salient points, but therein lies the problem - the players are not up to any elite fitness to do that gut busting running. They either choose not to (in that case, the exit's thataway) or they can't. Did you see the example of Daniel Kerr, SPRINTING 100 metres to take advantage of a rebound press and KICK a goal? I have not seen any of our current list do that for the best part of five years!! In his short stint here, Scully ran hard to make position and that's the closest we've ever had to an elite runner.

Something must, and will, give.

......... In his short stint here, Scully ran hard to make position and that's the closest we've ever had to an elite runner.

Alas I think you might be right. Scully might not become an A grader, but he knows how to (gut) run.

<Sigh>

Did you see the example of Daniel Kerr, SPRINTING 100 metres to take advantage of a rebound press and KICK a goal? I have not seen any of our current list do that for the best part of five years!!

I saw us annihilate Sydney two years ago with running that Sydney could not stop, even though we did not look like Kerr doing it.

There are some good points in this discussion, no doubt. At the same time, I remember Liam Jurrah's arrival - half a dozen instinctive moments of GOTY MOTY contenders every game, and completely unstoppable when he went for it. Doesn't do any of that now - is it because we required him to become a disciplined part of a forward press for God's sake (he'll be remembered for THAT, won't he?), and he lost faith in his innate giftedness? Now he's breaking apart... will we ever see it again? Did we tame him?

And the destruction wreaked on Sydney two years ago - has that been drilled out of our make-up somehow? It's a thing of balance - have we put a flood or defensive press or something on our players' minds?

Remember the three Magpies gang-tackling Jack Watts? In a way, it's a bit like some of the posters here: just like the Collingwood players attacking the tall poppy, it appears Jack Watts' private school born-to-rule arrogance and nonchalance has provoked some of his own supporters. From the look of it, some of his team-mates would not kick to him either - and then we join in, complaining he does not "demand the ball". Was criticising Jack the best way to deal with this? Get tougher by all means, but within a solidly supporting team surely, and one that honours what you do bring, as well as working on any perceived weaknesses. New players need to be endorsed, and what they bring to the team embraced, as well as adding to their repertoire the team things they have to learn. There must be a proper balance, or a player may wonder what he's doing there...

Sometimes a too-total focus on progress has a high price, taking from us stuff we will remember with fondness, and later be willing to pay anything to get back, when it's too late. If what's happened in the last six months at Melbourne is we have been reduced to playing "football-by-numbers", then we have gone too far. One size never does fit all.

Edited by robbiefrom13

Granted - but footy is such a changing beast that even two years ago is like two light years away. Of course, the free flowing game is fantastic as long as players have the mindset, discipline, fitness and skill to go into lockdown when they DON'T have the ball.

The players are being taught every training session - at some stage, they'll learn to trust and respect each other. Right now, there's a toxic element in that club that needs to be dealt with. Using Jack's first game as an analogy of the current problem is misguided. Is Jones ignored? Clark? Jack has to do something about the perception that surrounds him.

And no, I don't think we've seen the last of the Warlpiri Warrior's bag of tricks - watch him flourish next year and become a leader.

Granted - but footy is such a changing beast that even two years ago is like two light years away. Of course, the free flowing game is fantastic as long as players have the mindset, discipline, fitness and skill to go into lockdown when they DON'T have the ball.

The players are being taught every training session - at some stage, they'll learn to trust and respect each other. Right now, there's a toxic element in that club that needs to be dealt with. Using Jack's first game as an analogy of the current problem is misguided. Is Jones ignored? Clark? Jack has to do something about the perception that surrounds him.

And no, I don't think we've seen the last of the Warlpiri Warrior's bag of tricks - watch him flourish next year and become a leader.

I hope so.

Still, on Saturday Jack looked for someone to kick it to, too often, and there was no-one. What can he do? 34 possessions, and he still can't alter the perception that he is not an embedded prized member of the team.

What really concerns me is the expression "toxic element" that I have now read at least twice on Demonland. In another thread, it looked pretty certain that the poster meant players were the toxic element that needed to be removed from the club. There may be a toxic element in some players, but they don't want it there any more than we do: they play the game they love, in public, every week. Whatever's wrong is not them - they would, I bet, gladly see it sorted if anyone knew how to sort it.

People often need others around them to help them feel good about themselves - our self-image comes from relationships; and I think at Melbourne there needs to be celebration of the positives rather than focus on what we lack, or dressing-room meditation on Tadgh Kennely's thoughts as some angry fans are advocating. Somebody suggested they all go out together and get plastered - in a stupid way, it might help!

Garry Lyon said the day he kicked 10 by three-quarter time against the Bulldogs, he had had no sleep - been up all night with his wife having a baby. He said he was over the moon happy and it put football in perspective, and he never played so freely. On no sleep, he looked taller and stronger than anyone the Dogs could throw at him that day.

Edited by robbiefrom13

At some point Neeld needs to let the guys play to their strengths? If not then we will loose against GWS and GCS and the players will loose the the little self belief they have left.

At some point Neeld needs to let the guys play to their strengths? If not then we will loose against GWS and GCS and the players will loose the the little self belief they have left.

I agree DemonWA

I said the following on another tread, probably sounds poor but

You know I wonder if the coach said to the team this week

Just forget the Plan, go out and play to enjoy the game.

Get the ball and look for a team mate to deliver it to.

They just look absolutely lost at present.

So go out and do it enjoy yourself.

Could it makes us worse?

I agree DemonWA

I said the following on another tread, probably sounds poor but

You know I wonder if the coach said to the team this week

Just forget the Plan, go out and play to enjoy the game.

Get the ball and look for a team mate to deliver it to.

They just look absolutely lost at present.

So go out and do it enjoy yourself.

Could it makes us worse?

Agreed. Why not take it even further?! The coaching staff and playing group should go on a midweek bender together, have a laugh and bond over some beers. Then Neeld should bring all the player in and just be frank, "listen, you fellas think you know better, so i'll give you one week to play however the hell you want to". They'll still get pantsed and then they might finally wake up to themselves, show a bit of dicipline and play to the game plan?!

I have never seen a team not try to stick to a game plan like we did against the swans this week.

There was no one tackling or spreading.

There was no leadership on the S.C.G. in a MFC jumper

There was no structure in this team.

There was no heart or pride for the jumper i love.

WAKE UP MFC PLAYERS

There will be others who will were it with pride if you dont.

Agreed. Why not take it even further?! The coaching staff and playing group should go on a midweek bender together, have a laugh and bond over some beers. Then Neeld should bring all the player in and just be frank, "listen, you fellas think you know better, so i'll give you one week to play however the hell you want to". They'll still get pantsed and then they might finally wake up to themselves, show a bit of dicipline and play to the game plan?!

I was with you for a while there. The even playing field of a few beers together sounds enticing. But Neeld would hardly bring them in and throw away all the goodwill by offering them rope to hang themselves with. Well, it would finish off their relationship if he did, as well as ending his career on grounds of abandonment of his responsibility.

Likelier, he'd call them in for a discussion of how they could best play their good cards...

But, it's obviously wishful thinking to imagine this mess could be tackled let alone solved in such a "stuff it, fellas" way. Lot of bridge-building required before they could drink away their differences, I fear.

First time poster long time reader.

Mark Neeld.....Jury is still out but he may be on the right track. If his aim is to show up players weaknesses. Some of our players have a lot. But here is a list of in my opinion what he is dealing with.

1. Limited list of talent. He has had to play some players because we have crap players (Dunn, Bate, Bail, Joel Mac and a number of others are either ordinary or no good)

2. No stars. Frawley is an A grade Player. But you need A grade midfielders first and foremost.

3. No confidence. He has contributed somewhat to this

4. No Leadership or decent senior players

5. No Midfield. Jones has a heart and is fit enough everyone else is rubbish.

Really thats it.

What I would do.

Play Watts in defence he can get the ball and hit a target.

Play Grimes on a wing he can also find the ball and hit a target

Play Morton on a wing. He may be soft but he can run and can kick long

Play Frawley on the Ball. Mathew Pavlich anybody?

Play Stef Martin on Frawleys Normal man, he is limited but has more + than -

Buy better players. target all sorts. not just big names. A shane Tuck, clinton young, some B graders are needed. Mids only bar cloke he is a gun.

People keep mising the point. Players are choosing not to play - David Schwartz hit the nail on the head. No tackle, no intensity, no effort and its obvious. Aaron davey may as well be wathcing the clock.