Moloney, Jones, Sylvia, Frawley and Clarke

tonatopia

What I'm saying is you're not offering up a whole lot in terms of ideas about how this club is going to get up off the deck.

And 'experience'? Pffft. Overrated term. I'll take a 20yo who plays like Prestia over players who pick and choose when to show up (Sylvia and Moloney) every day of the week.

I would love to get a player like Dangerfield, but it's fanciful

I would love to get a player like Prestia, but it's fanciful

wishful thinking, and hoping to trade in A graders doesn't mean squat, i'm sorry because the reality is it ain't going to happen

What we need to do, in my opinion, is actually develop some of the existing list into A graders

Have enough depth so these guys are consistently pushing themselves

Phase out these guys gradually as the younger guys get more games under their belt

Bear in mind that Green is done, and probably wont be on the list next year, and who knows if Davey will be

They're our leading game players with 243 and 155 respectively

If they're gone, as well as Sylvia and Moloney, we're then losing about 600 games of experience

We've seen what happened after we delisted all of our experience a few years ago

Sylvia......1 full game Moloney ....3 full games and they should be given the same amount of time to 'get' the new game plan as they have been playing an old one for a long time.

Same amount of time?

They will be given more time than a Watts or a Bennell to 'get' it, and they should 'get it' quicker than their inexperienced counterparts.

Your senior players dictate your fortunes and if we want to win some games this season - those two will have to lift.

It depends what Sylvia produces this season but I still feel he offers something attractive to a challenging side like Adelaide, Freo or Sydney.

Moloney's best hope would be a 3-year deal at the Suns or GWS ... but at this stage of his career you never know, that may appeal to him.

So Adelaide will happily replace up and coming gun they've put 4 years into for an inconsistent 27 year old with numerous off field indiscretions and an unknown quanity in a draft pick

As I've said elsewhere ... put $3.5m - 4m over 5 years in front of someone and funny things can happen.

And you don't think he'd be offered that at Adelaide?

History is on player loyalty

Plenty of big offers have been knocked back, moreso than big offers have been accepted

Same amount of time?

They will be given more time than a Watts or a Bennell to 'get' it, and they should 'get it' quicker than their inexperienced counterparts.

Your senior players dictate your fortunes and if we want to win some games this season - those two will have to lift.

So Sylvia has to "lift" after 1 and a quarter games after coming back from a spinal fracture?

Yes I know he's been frustrating to watch over the journey, but as I said earlier, we're not trading midseason, so lets see what these guys have to offer for the rest of the year

I would offer the Crows pick 5 and Sylvia as a start up bid for Dangerfield and if necessary up the ante with another of the picks.

Then I'd offer the Suns pick 13 and Moloney for Dion Prestia.

I'm trying to come up with solutions Bossdog. Where are yours?

Dangerfield offers nothing more than sylvia. He's a younger version. Has great games and then has quiet games. Dont know why people want him on board so much

Same goes with Prestia. Looks good amongst the kids at the Suns, but wouldnt offer us anything that Moloney cant

So Adelaide will happily replace up and coming gun they've put 4 years into for an inconsistent 27 year old with numerous off field indiscretions and an unknown quanity in a draft pick

And you don't think he'd be offered that at Adelaide?

History is on player loyalty

Plenty of big offers have been knocked back, moreso than big offers have been accepted

You keep ignoring the top 10 draft picks we have this year. Why?

Your attitude is defeatist V12.

When Neeld and Co sniffed a chance with Clark they got on the first plane they could and had a massive crack at him.

That's the attitude we need and thankfully Neeld appears to be the type of person who has it.

Same amount of time?

I agree with you but it's harder to change the older you get. I believe these two will get it and will have a good season. it just gets up my nose that people write them off so often and want them traded at any cost.
  • Like 1

I agree with you but it's harder to change the older you get. I believe these two will get it and will have a good season. it just gets up my nose that people write them off so often and want them traded at any cost.

I have got to say you are spot on mate. Lets not have a jnr number 2

You keep ignoring the top 10 draft picks we have this year. Why?

Your attitude is defeatist V12.

When Neeld and Co sniffed a chance with Clark they got on the first plane they could and had a massive crack at him.

That's the attitude we need and thankfully Neeld appears to be the type of person who has it.

Ignoring them?

Suggest you read my post again "....and an unknown quanity in a draft pick"

A draft pick in ANY draft is an unknown

And yes, they had a sniff because Clark had announced his intentions of leaving

Has Dangerfield? Seem pretty happy to me

Jezzzz. Is Dangerfield that good....Lets wait till the end of the year.......One good game and the media and supporters go over the top. He is in my SC team and struggled to get over 100 points except for last week

Dangerfield offers nothing more than sylvia. He's a younger version. Has great games and then has quiet games. Dont know why people want him on board so much

Same goes with Prestia. Looks good amongst the kids at the Suns, but wouldnt offer us anything that Moloney cant

Just one AFL coach's opinion ... http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8461476

Just one AFL coach's opinion ... http://wwos.ninemsn....aspx?id=8461476

Have a look at your signature RR.

Dangerfield fits is the type of player that recruiters love - pace, nice kick etc etc, but hasnt been consistant over his career to date. Untill he completes this season consistantly and then has another season of the same ilk i'd put him in the sylvia bracket.

Kicks 3-4 and gets 30 touches every now and then and then has a few games where he does nothing

Dangerfield fits is the type of player that recruiters love - pace, nice kick etc etc, but hasnt been consistant over his career to date. Untill he completes this season consistantly and then has another season of the same ilk i'd put him in the sylvia bracket.

Kicks 3-4 and gets 30 touches every now and then and then has a few games where he does nothing

In fact last year he seemed to beat up on weaker teams, and play poorly against stronger teams

Sylvia v Dangerfield

In fact last year he seemed to beat up on weaker teams, and play poorly against stronger teams

Sylvia v Dangerfield

Dangerfield is set for superstardom. 4 AA jumpers minimum. Mark it down.

But you go on championing the same old-same old. See where it gets you.

What's that saying about the definition of insanity?

I disagree

I don't think free agency will have the impact others do, not initally anyway

Potshots? who the hell have I taken a potshot at?

Whilst Dangerfield and Prestia would be nice gets, it ain't going to happen for 1

But it still leaves us with a massive black hole of EXPERIENCED players

That is what we need, experienced players

Prestia's played about 23 games and would be adding just another 19 year old inexperienced player

Where we have failed so badly is with experienced players 26 - 30

We're only going to close the gap on that one from within, that's why we have a young leadership group. If we could get a Dangerfield great if not it will be Viney and draft picks with the current 23 - 24 yo providing the leadership. We have no choice and keeping failed leaders will not help.

Dangerfield is set for superstardom. 4 AA jumpers minimum. Mark it down.

But you go on championing the same old-same old. See where it gets you.

What's that saying about the definition of insanity?

No I advocate getting Dangerfield, absolutely 100%

But fact is he ain't coming

Offering up solutions that are unlikely may make you feel better, but sooner or later reality sets in

Every single year there's thread after thread after thread on all supporter sites about "Lets get 'player x'"

And 99% it's pipe dreams

Ok, so you want me to offer up suggestions

Let's get Brendan Goddard. Unrestricted Free agent, throw a bag at him, make some ancilliary trades for Moloney / Sylvia if the price is right, delist Green. Keep Davey, but exclusively as a crumbing forward (but sound out the market and see if there is interest). Recruit gun mids in the apparent super draft (along with Viney all depending on how that plays out)

with the later picks we receive for Moloney / Sylvia, get some top line VFL players to inject some mature bodies, and recruit players who can and will play to Neelds Gameplan

If trades for good mature mids can be made for Moloney / Sylvia then explore that option as well.

Sound them out to clubs with deep midfields who may have a Josh Kennedy langushing in the 2s

Other alternative, throw everything + the kitchen sink to get Sam Mitchell, and offer him an ongoing off field role (midfield coach) after his contract is up. Get him to show the likes of Viney, Gysberts etc how to go about it

• Like 1

Offering up solutions that are unlikely may make you feel better, but sooner or later reality sets in

Every single year there's thread after thread after thread on all supporter sites about "Lets get 'player x'"

And 99% it's pipe dreams

Let's get Brendan Goddard. Unrestricted Free agent, throw a bag at him, make some ancilliary trades for Moloney / Sylvia if the price is right, delist Green. Keep Davey, but exclusively as a crumbing forward (but sound out the market and see if there is interest). Recruit gun mids in the apparent super draft (along with Viney all depending on how that plays out)

with the later picks we receive for Moloney / Sylvia, get some top line VFL players to inject some mature bodies, and recruit players who can and will play to Neelds Gameplan

If trades for good mature mids can be made for Moloney / Sylvia then explore that option as well.

Sound them out to clubs with deep midfields who may have a Josh Kennedy langushing in the 2s

Other alternative, throw everything + the kitchen sink to get Sam Mitchell, and offer him an ongoing off field role (midfield coach) after his contract is up. Get him to show the likes of Viney, Gysberts etc how to go about it

This is exactly why the MFC should be very busy this year, off field.

We can make FA good for us if we are proactive. Otherwise the same system will rip us apart.

This is exactly why the MFC should be very busy this year, off field.

We can make FA good for us if we are proactive. Otherwise the same system will rip us apart.

And I'm sure Neeld / Craig / Viney and co. will be exploring as many beneficial options for us as they possibly can

However, being proactive and wanting something doesn't automatically make it happen

Just look at the Mitch Clark issue. We went after him because he'd said he was leaving. That was a given. The club saw an opportunity and threw their hat into the ring.

However some of these other guys haven't signalled any intention of leaving

I'm sure that the club has made / will make enquiries about all suitable trade / free agent targets, that's their job, that's their responsibility

Problem is a.) not all of the wish list will move b.) some of the wish list may have more attractive suitors we have to contend with

Every year virtually every football fan bemoans how uneventful trade period is. A huge number of mooted trades never eventuate, and they were probably never going to. It's all rumour to create interest.

Very few big targets get traded at trade time

In it's infancy, I see the same thing happening with FA

And 99% it's pipe dreams

Now you're cookin' V12 ... work-shopping some solutions finally!

But you can't say 'fact is' Dangerfield aint coming. Until ink hits contract at Adelaide, anything is possible.

Mitch Clark signing with us was gold in more ways than one.

Edited by Range Rover

And I'm sure Neeld / Craig / Viney and co. will be exploring as many beneficial options for us as they possibly can

However, being proactive and wanting something doesn't automatically make it happen

Just look at the Mitch Clark issue. We went after him because he'd said he was leaving. That was a given. The club saw an opportunity and threw their hat into the ring.

However some of these other guys haven't signalled any intention of leaving

I'm sure that the club has made / will make enquiries about all suitable trade / free agent targets, that's their job, that's their responsibility

Problem is a.) not all of the wish list will move b.) some of the wish list may have more attractive suitors we have to contend with

Every year virtually every football fan bemoans how uneventful trade period is. A huge number of mooted trades never eventuate, and they were probably never going to. It's all rumour to create interest.

Very few big targets get traded at trade time

In it's infancy, I see the same thing happening with FA

V12...Far more trading will happen with FA

The Players voted for this...We do not know who is doing what until the player managers start spruiking

The old rules have been superceeded V12.

And please enlighten me to WHO in God's name is whinging about the McLean trade????

No one in this thread, but back when it happened people did.

Now you're cookin' V12 ... work-shopping some solutions finally!

But you can't say 'fact is' Dangerfield aint coming. Until ink hits contract at Adelaide, anything is possible.

Mitch Clark signing with us was gold in more ways than one.

Difference, everyone knew Mitch was leaving. He'd tried to leave earlier as well, but no trade could get done

Dangerfield hasn't made any noise about leaving and IMO seems pretty happy with the freedom the new coach has allowed him

I'll change from 'fact is'.....but mate if we landed Dangerfield this off season, I'd be very, very surprised (I don't think he'll leave Adelaide....if he does, I don't think he'll end up at the Dees)

Sorry if you think that's pessimistic, I think it's just being realistic

By the way, I had a feeling of confidence re landing Mitch when we threw out hat into the ring, quiet confidence, but confidence none the less

V12...Far more trading will happen with FA

The Players voted for this...We do not know who is doing what until the player managers start spruiking

The old rules have been superceeded V12.

No doubt....but I don't think it's going to have a major impact in the short term

Once it's been in place for a decade, once moves have been made, once it's more accepted as part of the norm, we'll see far more moves IMO (and wouldn't be surprised to see mid season moves coming in)

No one in this thread, but back when it happened people did.

But you said "people are still whinging" re the Brock trade

No one is still whinging, very few whinged at the time (other than people being [censored] at Brock for wanting out)

But you said "people are still whinging" re the Brock trade

No one is still whinging, very few whinged at the time (other than people being [censored] at Brock for wanting out)

No. No, that's not what I said. You're just changing the tenses to suit your argument. I said "So glad we got rid of him, yet still people were whinging about that trade." If you're gonna quote me, do it properly. "Were" is past tense, if we're getting all pedantic on phrasing.

Some MFC supporters whinged at the time. On these boards, on Demonology and in the mainstream media. Here is a small example of some of it - http://www.heraldsun.com.au/archives/old-sport-pages/stevo-career-doubt/story-e6frf8w6-1225778906982

No. No, that's not what I said. You're just changing the tenses to suit your argument. I said "So glad we got rid of him, yet still people were whinging about that trade." If you're gonna quote me, do it properly. "Were" is past tense, if we're getting all pedantic on phrasing.

Some MFC supporters whinged at the time. On these boards, on Demonology and in the mainstream media. Here is a small example of some of it - http://www.heraldsun...6-1225778906982

Apologies, read "were" as "are"

My bad