Another Father/Son on the horizon.

gsmith12

Also quite liked taking the odd hanger did Stretcher! Trying to think who best to compare him to to give people too young an idea of how he played.

Its a bit hard as there are very few 'true' ruckmen going around nowadays. Maybe an Andrew Embley?

Also famously played on and beat Jason Dunstall as a makeshift fullback in Round 22 one year, then followed it up with a respectful performance a week later on Dunstall again in the finals.

if he has the same genes as his dad he will be a fine highly skilled outside footballer who goes when it his turn ( except once !)

Geez.....in retrospect he showed a lot of common sense and at least survived to,play out the game. The head wasn't sacrosanct then as it is now. Dipper would have gone for ten these days had he connected, or one could justifiably say if SS was not so aware and evasive!,

I'm not so sure "Stretcher" played on Jason Dunstall in round 22 and then the Final. Wasn't it Tony Campbell that did well on him in successive weeks. Was it the end of the '91 season?

Absolutely right. TC played two blinders on Piggy and Peter Rodhe kept Dermie quiet both weeks as well. Few thought we could back up and beat the Hawks two weeks in a row... how sweet was it when we did.

Miss those days.

• Like 1

What a backline back then.

Campbell , Rohde ,Lovett ,Yates ,Johnson ,Febey?

from memory.

my my my ..the days of Flower and Stretch on wings....aaaaaaaa...well !! it was different then I suppose, and yet the ability to run gazelle like though space and avoid the trafiic and deliver sublimely to knowing team mates.....sigh.

Anyone with Stretch's passed on ability would be more than welcome at the MFC :)

those were good days...even if no silver ware

This post broke my head. He was definitely not a ruckman, was way skinnier than Embley (though I concede he played the similar "winger" role) and don't think he ever played full back - you might be thinking of Tony Campbell or Johnny Howat.

Err yes that would be wingman not ruckman. Typo on my part.

And it was the GF, not round 22 as others have pointed out where he played fullback on Dunstall. the gloveman himself Tony Campbell was the one i was thinking of! (heres an Age article on Stretchers predicament that dark day: http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1300&dat=19880926&id=rcRYAAAAIBAJ&sjid=65YDAAAAIBAJ&pg=6073,4923604)

Memo to self - never try to post replies on while hurriedly walking somewhere at the same time. You cant think, type and walk all at once!

Guest José Mourinho

Long term, Davey has 3 or 4 boys now.

All we need is for 1 to be gun, but we might be lucky and get a few...

Dees for flag in 2034, and we'll celebrate with chocolate coated ants.

I don't know about Billy, but his old man was a lightly framed, fleet-footed winger and as good a kick as you could imagine. Won a Bluey and kicked his share of goals. He would be handy at the Dees right now.

Interesting we have a lightly framed wing man/defender that plays for MFC /Casey now

likes a hanger and gets maligned for being soft maybe the game has changed so much that this type of player is not as valued.

These days though this type of player is also protected

We also had a lightly framed wingman in the past who liked a hanger

difference being that Flower had no regard for his own safety.

How good would Flower be these days

Interesting we have a lightly framed wing man/defender that plays for MFC /Casey now

likes a hanger and gets maligned for being soft maybe the game has changed so much that this type of player is not as valued.

These days though this type of player is also protected

We also had a lightly framed wingman in the past who liked a hanger

difference being that Flower had no regard for his own safety.

How good would Flower be these days

Referring to Morton? Don't think I've seen him take a hanger in my life. He is lightly framed though-- won't disagree with you there.

Hopefully not getting too off topic (although every topic seems to mention this bloke at some stage), but what is the rule as far as Father/Sons? Reason I ask is that West Coast took Mitch Morton in the 2004 draft under the F/S rules, yet they didn't take Cale. Is it a ruling that a club can only access 1 F/S out of the same "bag", or is it endless - If you know what I mean?! If not, was there any reason WC didn't take Cale?

Referring to Morton? Don't think I've seen him take a hanger in my life. He is lightly framed though-- won't disagree with you there.

Maybe not run up sit on the shoulders hanger but he has taken some good high marks but has also made some bad decisions following it usually in the forward line. I hope we see more of him this year

Hopefully not getting too off topic (although every topic seems to mention this bloke at some stage), but what is the rule as far as Father/Sons? Reason I ask is that West Coast took Mitch Morton in the 2004 draft under the F/S rules, yet they didn't take Cale. Is it a ruling that a club can only access 1 F/S out of the same "bag", or is it endless - If you know what I mean?! If not, was there any reason WC didn't take Cale?

There have been many multiple father/son selections in the past including Rhyce and Heath Shaw, three Clokes and Nathan and Gary Ablett.

There have been many multiple father/son selections in the past including Rhyce and Heath Shaw, three Clokes and Nathan and Gary Ablett.

Cheers mate, didn't think about that too well! Doesn't answer the last question, but that's not for this thread. Cheers

Err yes that would be wingman not ruckman. Typo on my part.

And it was the GF, not round 22 as others have pointed out where he played fullback on Dunstall. the gloveman himself Tony Campbell was the one i was thinking of! (heres an Age article on Stretchers predicament that dark day: http://news.google.c...pg=6073,4923604)

Memo to self - never try to post replies on while hurriedly walking somewhere at the same time. You cant think, type and walk all at once!

Haha no worries I kind of knew what you meant but it gave me a laugh anyway!

Unfortunately having a gun footballer for a dad doesn't guarantee a player.

The great RDB has at least one son as far as I remember - never mentioned as a potential footballer, other than in the press release the day he was born!!

Robble Flower's son was mentioned, seriously by some, a few years back but amounted to nothing.

Gazza'z boys - who knows?

And we all know about Alan Johnson's lad..........

I think it is the exception rather than the rule, but unless you are Geelong, who seem to have some sort of knack (Ablett, Scarlett, Hawking, etc) , it is probably largely pot luck.

Edited by monoccular

Geez.....in retrospect he showed a lot of common sense and at least survived to,play out the game. The head wasn't sacrosanct then as it is now. Dipper would have gone for ten these days had he connected, or one could justifiably say if SS was not so aware and evasive!,

And stretcher would have needed a stretcher ( or undertaker)