Round 6 1994: Jimmy and the boys (Dees v Wobbles)

Robbie57

Last night I watch this game . Many thanks to Fox Footy for a day of Stynes magic.

Boy did this game bring back some memories. I wont try and list them all but our team was pretty solid that year.

My first observation is how good Jimmy was on his knees, yes his knees!

It all came back to me, once the big guy hit the ground he was always quickly to his knees and hand passing the ball.

Not his best game but did a few game saving things. Will never be forgotten.

And Jimmy's mates:

Viney; racked up the possessions at an unbelievable rate (but coughed up at least 2 Mortonesque clangers).

Stinga; blond tips were big back then but some other flashes of brilliance as well. (reminds me a lot of Petterd for some strange reason)

Febey; as the commentary says "not sure which one that was" but one of them will get a lot of votes.

Neeta; looking very young and slightly thin (playing down back reminded me of a young Watts).

Lyon; a very angry ant, gives the ump a ferocious spray at one stage. Absolutely top class CHF who hadn't been hugged by Jimma yet.

Jackovic; Great perm and very tight shorts ( it was a full forward thing in that era).

Wight; Absolutely poleaxed one of our own players in a trade mark go for the contest at all costs leap. Like Jimma spent a lot of time flailing around on the ground and saved a certain goal with a soccer goalie save.

The Ox: I had forgotten how good he was and it was no wonder Neeta was playing down back with the Ox , Jackovic and Lyon in the forward line.

There was a spark in this team. I wonder what games they talked about yesterday over a drink for Jim?

(For the record we won by 5 points in a tight game we dominated all day. The 3rd quarter looked like it would be scoreless at one stage)

Edited by Robbie57

One of my enduring memories of Stynes was in this game.

The Collingwood supporter behind me screeching in exasperation "why is it that every time we play these #@*&s we spend the entire f$#&ing game kicking it to that lanky f$#&ing Irish pr$%k" as Jimmy hauled in his umpteenth mark.

The Collingwood supporter behind me screeching in exasperation "why is it that every time we play these #@*&s we spend the entire f$#&ing game kicking it to that lanky f$#&ing Irish pr$%k" as Jimmy hauled in his umpteenth mark.

Yeah....

I hate to say it but I watched that game and it was absolute garbage. It was basically kick to kick, early 90s footy was a completely different sport to what AFL is now. This game in particular was a very poor standard. Nostalgia does funny things to our brains.

That game wasn't the best and I'm surprised they chose it considering the catalogue available. It wa a low scoring game at Waverley - not much to get excited about other than it was against the Pies. Wouldhave preferred our win against them in 92 at Vic Park or 93 with Jako kicking 9. That game was a pretty poor standard but not all games from back then were. I wish they had've shown the '94 QF against the Blues that is one game I am dying to see again.

I hate to say it but I watched that game and it was absolute garbage. It was basically kick to kick, early 90s footy was a completely different sport to what AFL is now. This game in particular was a very poor standard. Nostalgia does funny things to our brains.

Your kidding. Out o f the haze of nostalgia, skills were just as good if not better with natural footballers aplenty. Looked like the team was on roids that yr, even kowell had some ' hustle behind that muscle'

I loved the way he hovered" a kick behind the play" and out-read those who had so much more experience than him .

Emotional intelligence is pure intelligence-I'm convinced of it .

I loved the way he hovered" a kick behind the play" and out-read those who had so much more experience than him .

Emotional intelligence is pure intelligence-I'm convinced of it .

A dropped mark btwn Jim & Febes in the middle of the ground 1stqtr was immediately recovered by the big man, born with an instinctual recovery. the pie scum could've eaten him for breakfast but still he endured on every given day ,what a champion

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.