• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Blease out of NAB opener

Ned

WJ, I respect your comments on this forum and take aboard your surprise and disappointment at my stance on this one. I am all for strong disciplinary measures but as I have stated there must be many unpalatable ways of punishing a player. Neeld has now created a dangerous precedent. Imagine finals eve and one of our playmakers, in top form is late for a compulsary team meeting. Following precedence,he has to miss the next match, maybe even a GF. How would we like that? Yes, the great Norm Smith was a tough disciplinarian but I cannot remember him ever banning a player from playing the next match. You memory may be better than mine, but correct me if I'm wrong here. Smithy was big on the physical tortures for a player's indiscretion on the track.

I tend to agree with Bobby here. There are methods of discipline that do not involve robbing both player and coach of much-needed development and information, as banning a player from playing does.

We have all heard of the old saying 'A new broom sweeps clean" and we all know what that can mean. I hope for one that this is not the case here. We won't know his true worth and ability for quite some time when the season starts and his methods start bearing fruit. Remember how we welcomed Bailey? Let us all keep our fingers crossed that with Neeld's arrival our long premiership wait could be over.

Nice post Bobby

Funny, because it sounds like your the one hiding under the stairs with the tin foil hat on- could you be any more paranoid?

If you truly want to discipline a player you take games away from them. Nothing else will do. They are not going to learn their lesson by flogging them on the track. You either go about this discipline thing properly or you don't bother.

And Blease is a player in his third year- a young pup- they need discipline instilled in them. If his tardiness goes unpunished what lesson does he learn, and if he learns this lesson now we won't have to worry about his indiscretions come grand final eve. Lol

I wouldn't say that Neeld has had Military Training but IMO he has certain similar characteristics that he uses that gets the same TEAM point across.

Having served in the Army in the late 60's. If you were late for a meeting / parade or any other team event. Not only did you get punished but your whole team / unit got punished. They had a way of increasing your self discipline for the sake of the TEAM.

AFL footy is all about doing things for the TEAM. Individuals / cowboys don't get rewarded ( except if you are $T $S)

Mind you in my time since I have never been late for an appointment. Also most of my old Army mates will always turn up for an event at least 15min. early. A very good habit to have.

Love it all you should help with training or call the club we need more men like you.

Funny, because it sounds like your the one hiding under the stairs with the tin foil hat on- could you be any more paranoid?

If you truly want to discipline a player you take games away from them. Nothing else will do. They are not going to learn their lesson by flogging them on the track. You either go about this discipline thing properly or you don't bother.

And Blease is a player in his third year- a young pup- they need discipline instilled in them. If his tardiness goes unpunished what lesson does he learn, and if he learns this lesson now we won't have to worry about his indiscretions come grand final eve. Lol

"Hiding under the stairs with a tin foil hat on" ? Maybe you are a writer of fantasy novels. 'Paranoid'? Let's see. Oh no! You could be a psychologist, teacher or even worse a do gooder. So, let's get this straight. I don't believe in punishments that affects team morale and that makes me paranoid. LOL.

Edited by Bobby McKenzie

As we have no idea what the real circumstances were, I cannot see why this would necessarily be the case.

Perhaps they were informed of the importance of this meeting and that late arrival could mean disciplinary action? Perhaps Sam had been late on previous occasions and was on a last warning? Do you know? I certainly don't.

I would also expect that later in the season if a player has proven themselves a reliable and valuable team player, then the punishment will be meted out accordingly; at this point in time though, until they can put up, they need to shut up and show the required level of discipline and commitment.

Fair enough points 'hardtack'. You and I don't know the full facts on this matter BUT IF the situation was the same or very similar with another player on the eve of a very important game the precedent had been created and the punishment would have to be the same as the one dealt out to Sam.

WJ, I respect your comments on this forum and take aboard your surprise and disappointment at my stance on this one. I am all for strong disciplinary measures but as I have stated there must be many unpalatable ways of punishing a player. Neeld has now created a dangerous precedent. Imagine finals eve and one of our playmakers, in top form is late for a compulsary team meeting. Following precedence,he has to miss the next match, maybe even a GF. How would we like that? Yes, the great Norm Smith was a tough disciplinarian but I cannot remember him ever banning a player from playing the next match. You memory may be better than mine, but correct me if I'm wrong here. Smithy was big on the physical tortures for a player's indiscretion on the track. So far since being at the club Neeld has dismissed the existing medical staff and fitness boys and brought in his own team. Jobs for the boys maybe? I did say maybe! We have all heard of the old saying 'A new broom sweeps clean" and we all know what that can mean. I hope for one that this is not the case here. We won't know his true worth and ability for quite some time when the season starts and his methods start bearing fruit. Remember how we welcomed Bailey? Let us all keep our fingers crossed that with Neeld's arrival our long premiership wait could be over.

Bobby..How would Norm Smith handled the same situation? Drop a player for a practise match or [censored] them hard on the track? I think scenario one. We want Sam fit, not fatigued or injured. He will learn or not make it.

Fair enough points 'hardtack'. You and I don't know the full facts on this matter BUT IF the situation was the same or very similar with another player on the eve of a very important game the precedent had been created and the punishment would have to be the same as the one dealt out to Sam.

Disagree re precedents being set... as I said, the situation is that we are now entering the start of a new season and Neeld is demanding commitment and application from his players in order that they all enter the season together on the same page... later in the season this situation is unlikely to arise again as they will have been letting their actions on the field speak for them and they will be judged on that alone.

I would think that Neeld is insisting that these meetings are crucial to his game plan and are therefore compulsory and that no correspondence will be entered into in the event that a player fails to show on time.

Punctuality is directly related to discipline and as all of the others on the team made it on time, then Sam really doesn't have a leg to stand on... I'm sure they all were aware of what the punishment would be, before the "crime" was committed.

Not sure why this is such a big deal. If I were being paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to be at a planning meeting for a big project (such as, say, the first game of the year) and I missed it, then my boss would be tee off at me as well.

How much do you think Blease gets paid?

Bobby..How would Norm Smith handled the same situation? Drop a player for a practise match or [censored] them hard on the track? I think scenario one. We want Sam fit, not fatigued or injured. He will learn or not make it.

WYL as I said, Norm flogged them on the track rather than banning someone. I saw every match under Smithy's coaching and cannot remember him doing so.( banning someone). WJ may correct my memory here.

WYL as I said, Norm flogged them on the track rather than banning someone. I saw every match under Smithy's coaching and cannot remember him doing so.( banning someone). WJ may correct my memory here.

He was going to give Bernie Massey the flick for having a beard. Would not play him until he shaved to off.

You're paranoid because your worrying about things that haven't even happened yet. Barring players on Grand Final eve etc, intimating that Neeld hired assistants to suite his need for a "boys club"- your post came across as paranoid driven, bordering on offensive.

Bex, lie down, perhaps a vodka.

You're paranoid because your worrying about things that haven't even happened yet. Barring players on Grand Final eve etc, intimating that Neeld hired assistants to suite his need for a "boys club"- your post came across as paranoid driven, bordering on offensive.

Bex, lie down, perhaps a vodka.

Thank you DOCTOR! You stick with your opinion and I'll stick with mine! We both may be right. Only time will tell with our new coach and his methods.

Ask Brian Dixon how he went in the 1955 Grand Final.

As a result of you doing the wrong thing young fella we are going to [censored] you on the track this week, just like we did last week and the week before that...

If that's true, then I have no problem with the punishment. I just want player development with a view to winning football matches to remain at the forefront, not "elite compliance" with a view to totalitarian rule by the coaching staff. Keep in mind the goal. Anything that is good for the goal is worth doing, certainly.

I think that winning games and elite compliance can be interchangeable. Elite compliance to every part of training, games plans, attitude and discipline should result in winning games.

• Like 1

Neeld is only doing what any good leader and teacher ought to do ... define acceptable behaviour, set consequences and follow through. The alternative is what we see in many schools ... kids mucking around endlessly and not taking learning seriously because the parameters and high expectations aren't set, and wishy-washy teachers losing control because kids realise consequences never follow from unacceptable behaviour.

Maybe Blease is the sort of guy who's a bit disorganised and doesn't manage time effectively. If so, there's an element of unprofessionalism, and his suspension from the NAB game is a justified kick up the bum.

You can bet he won't be late for the next one.

• Like 1

Neeld is only doing what any good leader and teacher ought to do ... define acceptable behaviour, set consequences and follow through. The alternative is what we see in many schools ... kids mucking around endlessly and not taking learning seriously because the parameters and high expectations aren't set, and wishy-washy teachers losing control because kids realise consequences never follow from unacceptable behaviour.

Maybe Blease is the sort of guy who's a bit disorganised and doesn't manage time effectively. If so, there's an element of unprofessionalism, and his suspension from the NAB game is a justified kick up the bum.

You can bet he won't be late for the next one.

Have you ever been in a class where half the lesson is wasted by the teacher trying desperately to maintain the kind of silence only heard on the tennis court or in outer space? I sometimes think that an over-emphasis on "discipline" can actually obstruct the overall progress of a student - not that this is happening at Melbourne, though.

Have you ever been in a class where half the lesson is wasted by the teacher trying desperately to maintain the kind of silence only heard on the tennis court or in outer space? I sometimes think that an over-emphasis on "discipline" can actually obstruct the overall progress of a student - not that this is happening at Melbourne, though.

And that's why our education system is in such a mess