Neeld pours heat on Demons

Surfer Rosa

Neeld's stance is very welcome in my view and long over due. I wonder now, for those of us that had the temerity to question DB and his football department, whether we are somewhat vindicated now.

Neeld's assessment of some in the squad, as reported, would seem to suggest so. No doubt, DB is a terrific fella, but not what we needed at our stage of development in 2011.

Onwards and upwards I say

You don't need to be the coach to know what our team needed to improve on just read the game day posts for the past season. Every game we lost we talked about structure and fitness. I have post this before funnyhow James Hird and Bomber Thompson made the same statements about Essendon last year, most of our conditioning staff over the past 2 seasons were ex Essendon.

Neeld's stance is very welcome in my view and long over due. I wonder now, for those of us that had the temerity to question DB and his football department, whether we are somewhat vindicated now.

Neeld's assessment of some in the squad, as reported, would seem to suggest so. No doubt, DB is a terrific fella, but not what we needed at our stage of development in 2011.

Onwards and upwards I say

Agree

Was DB "what we needed at any stage in our development"?

At the end of 2007 i think in hindsight DB was all we could afford. And i say that with no disrespect.

We had no cash and no facilities.

There were other candidates,

I guess hind sight is a wonderful thing

You don't need to be the coach to know what our team needed to improve on just read the game day posts for the past season. Every game we lost we talked about structure and fitness. I have post this before funnyhow James Hird and Bomber Thompson made the same statements about Essendon last year, most of our conditioning staff over the past 2 seasons were ex Essendon.

Good call, I remember you making those comments.

There were other candidates,

I guess hind sight is a wonderful thing

Who did you have in mind that were going to do the Job the MFC needed to do???

Bailey did that...and for that i will always defend him. Regardless of 2011.

I had high hopes for 2011 only to get very dissappointed like every else

Now I feel as confident as 12 months ago, it DOES feel better, time will tell

go Dees Give 'em HELL !!!

I don't normally buy too much into fluff articles quoting coaches over the off season, but this article is REALLY pleasing to read. No more gifted games and skulking around for cheap kicks in 2012 Aaron, if you don't put in the hard yards you don't play. Names and reputations mean nothing to MN. For too long (Bailey and Daniher eras) name players could do as they pleased. Not anymore!

Still, it's the players that have to put the ball through the big sticks. I've been super impressed with the coaching team we've assembled, but it doesn't necessarily mean success is imminent. 2012 will be a very interesting year.

I was going to post practically the exact same thing. I opened the article expecting the usual coach speak we are accustomed to.. when asked about Davey most coaches would say something like 'Aaron's very highly regarded at the club, and we know that he will get back to the performances we know he's capable of' but Neeld just gave the 'if he doesn't perform as expected he won't get a game'

love it

• Like 2

Not at all, just saying these things take time and to not expect too much change straight away.

People here are surprised when players come back from their holidays and they haven't improved their fitness on the year before.

More an attitude improvement i think...Fitness will come.

?..

Sylvia could win the Brownlow in 2012 - even though I think suspending him sends completely the correct message, I also wish he could get the three votes in round 1. I think he will absolutely flourish under Neeld (as will many others). Some could struggle though.

I tend to agree -- if Neeld manages to get inside Col's head, and helps him to make HIMSELF focus properly and consistently, Col has the skills and ability to do it.

Big challenge for Mark to throw down to Col : and huge kudos to both if he achieves, or even gets close.

About time that a Coach has grown some balls & taken these so called stars Davey & Sylvia who secure big contracts but yet fail to deliver & let themselves down with of the field issues. These guys are meant to be leaders & show the way for the you the young players. I like Neeld who has drawn the line & said either reach this KPI or you want get a game regardless of your name!

About time that a Coach has grown some balls & taken these so called stars Davey & Sylvia who secure big contracts but yet fail to deliver & let themselves down with of the field issues. These guys are meant to be leaders & show the way for the you the young players. I like Neeld who has drawn the line & said either reach this KPI or you want get a game regardless of your name!

Edited by dees64

Hmm.. I wonder how the players all "feel " about this ??

then again...its time to stop feeling... and DO !!

http://www.heraldsun...f-1226193168855

He is going to annoy some people at the club...

I am falling in love with this man hahaha, his direct ways are going to ruffle some feathers but seriously it's what this club needs!! We have been soft for way to long now. Everytime I read one of his interviews I get shivers down my spine because he says what I have wanted to hear a coach say for years!! I loved the bit in particular about the difference between communications at collingwood and melbourne. The part where he says at Collingwood there is a direct communication but when he came to melbourne it was all about making sure we don't hurt each other feelings etc... what a load of ..... I mean seriously aren't we suppose to play a hard game, we need that edge and I think finally Neeld is going to bring that hardness to us. As far as I'm concerned if a player is not on the same page as Neeld then they need to get out of the club and secondly they are not up for playing elite football. Bring on the next few years, I think we are finally in for the ride of our lives!! GO DEE's!!!

Edit: mistake found.

Edited by DemonDan83

It's wonderful to read these comments from our new coach. And I really do think that it is, and will be, the change needed. However, at the moment it is only words. The right ones, but words just the same. The actions of the playing group and coaching staff need to reflect all of this talk. I am sure this guy will ruffle feathers, and we may lose some quality people along the way. That said, I am a chef, and my head chef has a saying, "one team, one goal". Never a truer word spoken, and it relates just as well to the MFC as it does to the kitchen brigade at a fine dining restaurant. And , to be blunt, anyone who can't work to that ideology can bugger off, because otherwise that one person can derail the whole goal. The time for niceties is long gone, it is now time for Neeld and his "my way or the highway approach". I like it, and I will keep liking it, and I will like it even more when the inevitable success comes.