Front and Back

beelzebub

The Melbourne Football Club has had the brroms working overtime as it seeks to rebuild and revitalise its football dept.

Senior Coach Mark Neeld has been busy with the clubs honchos in rebuilding the coaching dept. Only two major spots are up for grabs; Forward Coach and Defensive Coach.

I must confess Ive heard few runours or read much to say who they might be. Are we toget a left field blow in or some accomplished established professional forn another club seeking to join in the pending glory that wil lcome ( ok piled on a bit thick there )

Any whispers ?

Any suggestions?

I wouldn't at all be surprised if Leigh Brown from Collingwood landed the forward coach role next year.

We don't seem to have the experience side of the ledger sewn up yet (as per the request of Neeld). Depending on the movements of Neil Craig, I'd imagine the backline coach may be in the AFL system already.

On the other hand, I see Sumich may be interested in the St Kilda job. I wonder if he is thinking that he has served his apprenticeship and is starting to look at senior roles? If so, and if he misses out on a senior gig this year, perhaps it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for him to come to Melbourne to get "noticed" more, as well as learn different things under a different senior coach. If that were the case, I would like to think that we would make an enquiry.

It may be written somewhere else, but whom have we got rid of so far and who are their replacements?

Josh Mahoney has been side stepped/elevated to Football Manager

Royal from Defence to Senior midfield with Greaves as assistant

West has left the building

If Maxie doesnt get a look in at the Sainters I wouldnt mind him crossing the tracks to us either ( Thats Hudhgton ) . Is well regarded at the Filth.

My 2c worth, Id have Dermot, I know everyone hates him but he has mentioned on radio he would like to help the demon forwards.

Id welcome him with open arms.. A very smart football brain.

Might be just me but there seems to be a change in the air as to how anyone ( within the footy world) regards us now. Suddenly the MFC isnt that supposed lepper colony. People WANT to be at Melbourne.

Good !!

My 2c worth, Id have Dermot, I know everyone hates him but he has mentioned on radio he would like to help the demon forwards.

Wouldn't be popular sentiment round these here parts WWS, but I'd be exceptionally happy with having Dermie working with our boys. If they became anywhere near close to him as players then we would be in a very happy place.

Josh Mahoney has been side stepped/elevated to Football Manager

Royal from Defence to Senior midfield with Greaves as assistant

West has left the building

Thanks 59, pity that West couldn't get the job done, always thought he would be great, the Doggies will probably welcome him back with open arms.

Might be just me but there seems to be a change in the air as to how anyone ( within the footy world) regards us now. Suddenly the MFC isnt that supposed lepper colony. People WANT to be at Melbourne.

Good !!

Yeah Ive noticed a difference even talking to a few rival supporters, theres suddenly a bit of mmmm gee wiz.

Good !!

Is it that people want to come here, or is it that we are offering better money and creating different (for us) roles that require filling (which has been partially done internally creating vacancies that need to be filled)?

I know your excited B59, I'm just trying to keep a lid on it sorry!

I agree; would love to see Dermot somewhere involved in our forward line. I know he does, but don't know why he has a soft spot for us

probably feels sorry for us after '88 :unsure:

I know I felt very sorry for myself afte that game.... somethng to do with amber stuff

• Like 1

I wouldn't at all be surprised if Leigh Brown from Collingwood landed the forward coach role next year.

We don't seem to have the experience side of the ledger sewn up yet (as per the request of Neeld). Depending on the movements of Neil Craig, I'd imagine the backline coach may be in the AFL system already.

On the other hand, I see Sumich may be interested in the St Kilda job. I wonder if he is thinking that he has served his apprenticeship and is starting to look at senior roles? If so, and if he misses out on a senior gig this year, perhaps it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for him to come to Melbourne to get "noticed" more, as well as learn different things under a different senior coach. If that were the case, I would like to think that we would make an enquiry.

Sumich is one that i have thought about, has gone for and missed a few jobs and obviously still has the desire to be a senior coach, has he done and learnt all he can at Westcoast?

He is WC all time leading Goal scorer and has been a senior Assistant to Worsfold for years, would fit in nicely being Senior Assistant/forward coach to Neeldy, while also gaining diversity in his apprenticeship which seems to be all the rage right now

Burns could be in a similar position, move back to Melbourne to gain more experience or diversity

Neeld has moved Royal out of defense so hopefully he has somebody in mind to take this role perhaps? I would like atleast one more appointment with serious AFL experience to join our ranks

Is it that people want to come here, or is it that we are offering better money and creating different (for us) roles that require filling (which has been partially done internally creating vacancies that need to be filled)?

I know your excited B59, I'm just trying to keep a lid on it sorry!

excited might be a stretch ( just a litlle) but genuinely encouraged.

and

probably all of the above !

Sumich is one that i have thought about, has gone for and missed a few jobs and obviously still has the desire to be a senior coach, has he done and learnt all he can at Westcoast?

He is WC all time leading Goal scorer and has been a senior Assistant to Worsfold for years, would fit in nicely being Senior Assistant/forward coach to Neeldy, while also gaining diversity in his apprenticeship which seems to be all the rage right now

Burns could be in a similar position, move back to Melbourne to gain more experience or diversity

Neeld has moved Royal out of defense so hopefully he has somebody in mind to take this role perhaps? I would like atleast one more appointment with serious AFL experience to join our ranks

The other forward line coaching possiblity could be Cam Mooney. Open about wanting to coach, retiring at seasons end (I honestly think he has played his last game), would be great for our younger forwards to learn from.

There are a few guys out there, and I'm sure there'll be more announcements in the coming days, I just hope that we continue to be proactive and get the best possible.

Burns is staying put by all accounts

Fair enough, he is the type i would like at least one to join our ranks, Sumich, Burns, Sanderson* obviously cant now

Generally experienced senior assistants from other clubs, Watters although with the clear out at Collingwood he might see plenty of opportunity their being their most senior Assistant

The other forward line coaching possiblity could be Cam Mooney. Open about wanting to coach, retiring at seasons end (I honestly think he has played his last game), would be great for our younger forwards to learn from.

There are a few guys out there, and I'm sure there'll be more announcements in the coming days, I just hope that we continue to be proactive and get the best possible.

it would beg the $64 question... can he coach/teach ? I ask in light of say the likes of West , who as a player epitomised all we could hope for in a midfield player but , and I can only judge by results, hasnt seemed able to convey it.

would Cam ? I'm only asking

an interesting suggestion

If Maxie doesnt get a look in at the Sainters I wouldnt mind him crossing the tracks to us either ( Thats Hudhgton ) . Is well regarded at the Filth.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/123923/default.aspx

"Maxy Hudghton's the rage at the moment. He could be going back home and could be the dark horse, or Scott Watters," Malthouse said.

Thanks 59, pity that West couldn't get the job done, always thought he would be great, the Doggies will probably welcome him back with open arms.

He'd wanna hope so. Looking after Melbourne's midfield for the past two years isn't exactly a glowing reference on the ol' resume.....

Looking at the shuffling and restructuring that has already taken place, I would love to see:

Carey as forward line coach. He has a huge ego but I reckon some strut and arrogance would really help Watts, Jurrah and Jurrah. He is pig-headed but his insights are usually spot on. I put Dermot in the same category but I don't reckon he will leave his media roles.

Ayres for backline coach. I don't reckon he would leave Port Melbourne because he is doing an amazing job, but he has senior AFL experience, is a cool head under pressure, and every tream he has coached has been strong defensivley.

Edited by Maldonboy38