Eade as next Melbourne coach?

mrtwister

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saints were third and produced a big upset to roll the Cats in the QF.

How you ignore logic and facts is beyond me.

Ok, they were 3rd, my mistake, but logic has nothing to do with it

The Saints were not rank outsiders last year.

Logic has everything to do with it.

You accept upsets happen. You have referenced many examples of upsets, including two of the last 3 grand finals, that you didn't see coming.

Yet you refuse to believe that a team in the top four in the last 3 years was anything but miles away.

You accept upsets happen. You have referenced many examples of upsets, including two of the last 3 grand finals, that you didn't see coming.

Yet you refuse to believe that a team in the top four in the last 3 years was anything but miles away.

But hey 45, logic has nothing to do with it.. :lol:

Well summarised. Its a simple case of the bleedin obvious...for some.

Yes if you are referring to the Bulldogs being miles away from ACTUALLY holding up a cup over the last 3 years...They were miles away.

The teams they had were very good & solid but never great.

If you disagree, fine but that is the way i saw the last 3 years...Back on topic....is Eade the best man for us???? After 14 years of not getting to the Mountain top Eade is like an Danners to me...So not my first choice, but way ahead of Matty Knights.

Ross Lyon is a 1 trick pony who's only trick is to kill off any excitement the game has to offer .

He made changes in the 1st grand final that got his team back in the game but failed to learn from the experience the following week when he reverted straight back to type .

Tried the move of Gilbert forward again when the game was beyond them but couldn't pull it off twice in a row .

If we ever employed a coach with such a negative approach to the game I would as a supporter give it away .

I disagree. Lyon very unlucky not to have 2 cups. Give me defensive footy and a premiership over Rocket's free-flowing footy that ends at the preliminary final any time.

Guest Gareth Keenan

I often agree with you and was of a similar mindset with regard to Eade. I decided that my thinking was too shallow. I've always believed that players make coaches. Sure, a [censored] coach is a [censored] coach, but even good coaches need the cattle.

It wasn't long ago that Malthouse was being questioned. How good was he really ? People were saying that he inherited a state team over in WA and only won two flags. Some thought he underachieved. Others pointed out that they had to fly every second week, which shortened careers and had a negative inpact on performance.

Malthouse got two average teams to grand finals at Collingwood, but wasn't able to deliever. They then went back to the well. Ultimately Malthouse got the sack from Collingwood. And make no mistake that's what happened. Collingwood knew he was a good coach, but could he deliver a flag ? In the end the thought of losing Buckley was too great and the perfect compromise was to move Malthouse aside when Buckley would be ready to take over the reins. Now, of course, Malthouse is top of the tree. Isn't timing a wonderful thing ?

Alan Joice was a [censored] coach, but he took over Alan Jeans' premiership team and duly delivered a flag. The Hawthorn players won in spite of him. Joice was later sacked at Footscray.

Rocket Eade is considered by Terry Wallace as the best coach he went up against in 12 years. Eade took over a bottom team from Barassi at Sydney and got them to a GF. He took over a bottom team at the Bulldogs and got them to 3 prelims. Does it mean that he can't win a flag, or that he didn't quite have the talent capable of winning a flag ? Afterall, they're not easy to win.

David Parkin coached at 3 clubs, one of them twice, and ended up being sacked from every one. He coached 4 flags.

Bomber Thompson was very close to getting the heave ho.

But for timing, premiership coach John Worsfold wouldn't be at West Coast this year.

I'll back the club in whatever decision they make, but I have no doubt that Eade is a terrific coach and that he can win a flag. It doesn't mean that he will, but there's no doubt in my mind that he has the capacity.

If we can't get Malthouse, or Clarkson then the choice is an untried coach, or Eade. I'm open minded to both, but geez, you'd be brave to knock back Eade.

When you put it like that, there's not too much between Eade or Malthouse.

In fact, Collingwood's dominance has coincided with the development of their elite young players (that they tanked to acquire)... and the introduction to the coaching staff of MARK NEELD.

Based on what little I know, Neeld would be my number 1 target.

I disagree. Lyon very unlucky not to have 2 cups. Give me defensive footy and a premiership over Rocket's free-flowing footy that ends at the preliminary final any time.

The point here is that there must be balance, and both Eade's all out attack with no defensive structure and Lyon's ultra defensive setup have produced results that were close but not good enough.

If we go with Eade because Bailey was a first time coach who failed then it's a disgrace. One of the tv shows mentioned Trengove's comments about how good a list we have for a new coach coming in - it sounds like there is a severe overrating of the stage our list is at. There is a lot of potential but we are still developing, not a finished product, and if the likes if Eade and Williams are out if touch now, how much further out of touch will they be in three years when we should be genuine contenders?

Go with the best candidate regardless of age, and put some good sound assistants around them.

Thompson, Clarkson, Worsfold, Roos and Williams were first time coaches, this hysteria about getting an experienced coach is crazy

When Daniher was coach of Melbourne he was always one or two steps behind and was always trying to emulate the style of the previous Flag winning teams; he was reactive not pro active. Bailey came in and tried to install the Geelong style of run and carry but failed to realise it had been superseded by the Press, and once again we were playing yesterday's football. He also failed to realise we didn't have the skill to play the Geelong way anyway.

Now we are talking about a new coach and we are looking at maybe Neeld who is at Collingwood, Eade, Williams, Malthouse, Clarkson and a few others. If we get one of these are we going to fall in to the same trap of following the leader or are we going to look at beating the press and possibly a new game plan altogether?

If everyone plays the same type of game it will be the side that's the best at it that will win, which doesn't mean the club with the best players it means the club with the players best suited to that game style. We have been recruiting for run and carry so is what we've got suitable for the press?

I mentioned some time ago that when you draft you are usually drafting for now but you should also be drafting to include changes to game style and you should be able to anticipate shifts in the way the game is changing. Danihers spine was one of the disasters of the club when you reflect on who we picked up and who we passed over to build the spine. We talk on here of a Gorilla forward like Dawes but will they be any good in 3 to 5 years time when the game changes again?

We need to be careful when we get a new coach that we ensure that he can be flexible and that he has his own ideas not everyone else's. Maybe we need an Eade who in innovative, or at least has been, rather than a current assistant who will just blindly follow the plan of the club he leaves, or a former or current coach who has had heaps of cash behind him and can implement what ever he needs to and has a plethora of assistants feeding him ideas.

When Daniher was coach of Melbourne he was always one or two steps behind and was always trying to emulate the style of the previous Flag winning teams; he was reactive not pro active. Bailey came in and tried to install the Geelong style of run and carry but failed to realise it had been superseded by the Press, and once again we were playing yesterday's football. He also failed to realise we didn't have the skill to play the Geelong way anyway.

Now we are talking about a new coach and we are looking at maybe Neeld who is at Collingwood, Eade, Williams, Malthouse, Clarkson and a few others. If we get one of these are we going to fall in to the same trap of following the leader or are we going to look at beating the press and possibly a new game plan altogether?

If everyone plays the same type of game it will be the side that's the best at it that will win, which doesn't mean the club with the best players it means the club with the players best suited to that game style. We have been recruiting for run and carry so is what we've got suitable for the press?

I mentioned some time ago that when you draft you are usually drafting for now but you should also be drafting to include changes to game style and you should be able to anticipate shifts in the way the game is changing. Danihers spine was one of the disasters of the club when you reflect on who we picked up and who we passed over to build the spine. We talk on here of a Gorilla forward like Dawes but will they be any good in 3 to 5 years time when the game changes again?

We need to be careful when we get a new coach that we ensure that he can be flexible and that he has his own ideas not everyone else's. Maybe we need an Eade who in innovative, or at least has been, rather than a current assistant who will just blindly follow the plan of the club he leaves, or a former or current coach who has had heaps of cash behind him and can implement what ever he needs to and has a plethora of assistants feeding him ideas.

Spot on, Robbie! That's why I think we should be asking Matthews about his availability. He has picked up teams in different eras and won flags in both. He has been out of the game exactly the same amount of time as between his stints at Collingwood and Brisbane. I think if he is going to coach again now is the time. He is only slightly older than Malthouse and has the aura about him that our players need. He would also attract quality contemporary assistant coaches.

Grant Thomas name has been mentioned and I dont think its a silly suggestion.

He would demand excellence. Watching him on footy classified you can see he knows his stuff.

I think he was unlucky to get outed at the Saints.

Surely Gary Lyon would have asked the question of coaching to his work mate?

Id pick him over Eade and Laidley.

He would demand excellence. Watching him on footy classified you can see he knows his stuff.

So would i, he has a bad reputation in many ways but he is no fool.

Always speaks as a straight shooter on a monday night.

I've always had the feeling that Thomas wasted some of the best years the Saints had to offer, I reckon they would probably have won a flag or two under a decent coach. Thomas seemed to be learning on the job and seemed to me in the early days like a learner driver. Maybe he's better at it now but no thanks anyway.