Why not Mark Neeld?

Clanger King

Mathews or malthouse, whoever wants it more.

Can't go wrong with those two.

one consistent error being espoused of all the speculation .of names that are in the "market" and the media are 100- 1& ridiculous.

mathews was scathing of MFC. and he quotes 2 things on a regular basis.

1; I "DONT" WANT TO AND NEVER WILL COACH AGAIN !!!

2; on 3aw he "STATES " very strongly .: u would have to be an "IMBECILE" TO WANT TO COACH " MELBOURNE".( end quote)

malthouse is not available due to his family pressure( WIFE & SON ) and he will at the very best take 12 months off !! FINAL; !!

; clarkson "WILL" BE SIGNED BY HAWKS; - & wants to be there.. FINAL..( as dermie states ;why would u leave a club with -BUDDY- RIOLI-HODGE ETC.

with prem. qualities to go to a clube like melb.. ??? unless u had dementia setting in ..??

R EADE is a desperate who wants to keep a big wage & is a grade 3 coach at best.. & failure ..( boring -secularist-.divisive-prejudice.)

conceited lacks inspirational motivation or even original structures.( ask a number of his players !ie; b lake.,c grant.)

i would turn religious ,rather than have him on a MFC. payroll as a bootstudder...

sacked from swans as not highly thought of.& will be sacked from WB.

( t wallace achieved the same level !( enough said )

ROOS ; virtually identical as MATHEWS. !! big time .( although i would love his no nonsense attitude.. )

why leave the big paying gig ( and bludge of getting 2 mill plus ).to go to a club he hates.and condemns ..

TODD VINEY; understands the short term prospects of a head coach- he wants a career at melb at least for the term of his kids career..

& understands the very important attitude in life; A MANS GOTS TO KNOW HIS OWN LIMITATIONS !

G LYON; the debate on MMM with dunstall ( for ) and n.brown..( against ) & at end even dunstall stated he did not believe what he was saying.

due to understanding he earns 2 mill. plus for having a giggle- and has no stress and time to spend on himself & fam.

why swap it for a low paying stressful gig u may be up for angst and dismissal down the track ??

M. WILLIAMS DOES NOT WANT ; happy to stay put;

& anyway i remember j watts stating when drafted when asked if happy to go anywhere.! was yes with one exception -pt-ad.as he thought M WILLIAMS was a loon..

or too extreme. to deal with.!!

Don't believe clubs pushing assistants - as gerard h. stated as the reason could be for reasons other than generous.

why would they want their GOOD assistants to leave and help the opposition...

or maybe pushing up the value to get out of club..

HINKLEY ; i know played at geel; but WHY was he overlooked so easily at rich; & others.( seems to have a soft disposition ??

NEELD ; who did he play for ???did he play afl ??

MFC. needs a strong willed well known successful ex; player -leadership houtspah..& who wants the gig " BIG TIME"..

NO buddy buddy type-like daniher or bailey...

as mark mclure stated - he hated his coach ( d parkin) & they were successful with a demanding culture !!

Carlton in Pagan's last years made the VFL look good because of a lot of the salary cap breach stuff, remember that.

Nevertheless, agree on the too-long-out-of-the-game stuff.

I'd disagree with Pagan being out of the game too long.

Still heavily involved in the TAC and developing juniors coming through. Knows the structure and gameplans in todays game from his current role(s).

I had a great chat with Dennis at a North Presidents lunch a while back, and whilst I believe that we should look elsewhere I wouldn't be unhappy if they signed him in a 'mentor' role for a senior coach.

Don't know how anyone can argue with his record - 7 premierships whilst at North (2 senior, 5 as under 19 coach). Arguably the most successful coach in recent times for developing young players in champions.

Edited by The O

I still reckon we'd be stupid not to look at Sanderson.

The contenders in my mind are:

MM (regardless of what people say about his FAMILY not wanting him to coach, HE DOES)

Neeld (will also be a contender for the Crows job)

Sanderson (overlooked last year at the Cattery because they wanted someone outside the club to take on the senior coaching role)

Laidley (wants a Melbourne-based job and seems to be sniffing around it)

Of those four, I think it'll be either MM or Laidley. And honestly...I hope it's Laidley. While his trade record is undoubtedly poor, others around him (primarily Prendergast, who with what he's uncovered will definitely stay) will aid him in the right direction for that. His club record is good - yes, no flag, but who the heck expected North to challenge for a flag with that list? - and he has built a very good young list at North which he simply didn't get the chance to meld.

one consistent error being espoused of all the speculation .of names that are in the "market" and the media are 100- 1& ridiculous.

mathews was scathing of MFC. and he quotes 2 things on a regular basis.

1; I "DONT" WANT TO AND NEVER WILL COACH AGAIN !!!

2; on 3aw he "STATES " very strongly .: u would have to be an "IMBECILE" TO WANT TO COACH " MELBOURNE".( end quote)

malthouse is not available due to his family pressure( WIFE & SON ) and he will at the very best take 12 months off !! FINAL; !!

; clarkson "WILL" BE SIGNED BY HAWKS; - & wants to be there.. FINAL..( as dermie states ;why would u leave a club with -BUDDY- RIOLI-HODGE ETC.

with prem. qualities to go to a clube like melb.. ??? unless u had dementia setting in ..??

R EADE is a desperate who wants to keep a big wage & is a grade 3 coach at best.. & failure ..( boring -secularist-.divisive-prejudice.)

conceited lacks inspirational motivation or even original structures.( ask a number of his players !ie; b lake.,c grant.)

i would turn religious ,rather than have him on a MFC. payroll as a bootstudder...

sacked from swans as not highly thought of.& will be sacked from WB.

( t wallace achieved the same level !( enough said )

ROOS ; virtually identical as MATHEWS. !! big time .( although i would love his no nonsense attitude.. )

why leave the big paying gig ( and bludge of getting 2 mill plus ).to go to a club he hates.and condemns ..

TODD VINEY; understands the short term prospects of a head coach- he wants a career at melb at least for the term of his kids career..

& understands the very important attitude in life; A MANS GOTS TO KNOW HIS OWN LIMITATIONS !

G LYON; the debate on MMM with dunstall ( for ) and n.brown..( against ) & at end even dunstall stated he did not believe what he was saying.

due to understanding he earns 2 mill. plus for having a giggle- and has no stress and time to spend on himself & fam.

why swap it for a low paying stressful gig u may be up for angst and dismissal down the track ??

M. WILLIAMS DOES NOT WANT ; happy to stay put;

& anyway i remember j watts stating when drafted when asked if happy to go anywhere.! was yes with one exception -pt-ad.as he thought M WILLIAMS was a loon..

or too extreme. to deal with.!!

Don't believe clubs pushing assistants - as gerard h. stated as the reason could be for reasons other than generous.

HINKLEY ; i know played at geel; but WHY was he overlooked so easily at rich; & others.( seems to have a soft disposition ??

MFC. needs a strong willed well known successful ex; player -leadership houtspah..& who wants the gig " BIG TIME"..

as mark mclure stated - he hated his coach ( d parkin) & they were successful with a demanding culture !!

Two things; you are annoyingly liberal with your use of semi-colons, and if no coach on earth can or will or should coach the club - who does that leave?

The intermittent shouting is a bit much. Settle it down a tad.

There are other ways to emphasis a point.

Ok, a few points:

Matthews - Will not even entertain the possibility of being coach, nor do we want him, but your second point of "having to be an imbecile to want to coach MFC", flies in the face of him saying he'd want the job if he were 4 years younger (haven't got a link).

Malthouse - rubbish. He is contracted to Collingwood, but so was Mark Thompson to Geelong.

His contract with Collingwood doesn't involve taking 12 months off.

Clarkson - I agree, has no reason to leave Hawthorn. Will stay.

Eade - I agree that we don't want him. We'll leave it there.

Roos - has also repeatedly said he won't coach again. A good coach, but ovarrated anyway, imho.

Viney - I agree that he understands the nature of the job, and doesn't want to burn his bridges at MFC.

I think he is capable of taking it on if he wants to, however. Whether he's the best man for the job or not, is another issue.

Lyon - will not coach. Ever.

Mark Williams - not sure about the Watts quote, but I get the impression he thinks he'll take over at GWS soon, if he's not in control already.

I think Sheedy's longevity has come from a different style of coaching, which is more like this "coaching director" role we hear about with Malthouse.

Sheedy lets his assistants do the majority of the work, and just likes being the centre of attention for the media.

He let's blokes like Choco just focus on the coaching side. That's how it seems to me, anyway.

Either I don't quite understand what you're saying here, or I think you can't possibly be serious.

This is losing touch with reality. That's how coaches are born - they begin as assistants.

Any coach like Malthouse for instance, that cares about their assistants and believes in their ability, wants them to one day have a chance to go out on their own and roll the dice as a head coach, try to prove themselves.

No head coach would begrudge an assistant that chance.

Hinkley lost out to Hardwick who seems a very good coach. Remember that Hardwick lost out to a few others (including Bailey) before getting a senior gig.

He ended up needing another year or so to develop as a coach before he was ready.

Hinkley has a great record in local leagues and was headhunted by GC17.

Soft disposition? Hardly.

Not hard to do a little quick research, but he played for Richmond and Geelong.

He also coached at Western Jets, and 4 straight flags at Ocean Grove.

His record at Collingwood is exemplary. When he has taken charge of a line (backs, then midfield) they have almost instantaneously become one of the best in the league.

I don't even know what this means.

And I wouldn't listen to anything Mark McClure says - he's a relic and football was different then.

Edited by e25

My preference is to go after a proven experienced coach, however Neeld is definitely one of the front runners when it comes to assistants ready to step up.

My top 7 preferences would go:

1. Mick Malthouse - Says he wont coach next year but until he makes that comment when Collingwood's season is over I wont believe him.

2. Alaister Clarkson - Perfect for the job, took the Chicken Hawks into a tough physical team to wina flag with an impressive game style. I know people are saying t why would you leave Hawthorn, but if they were to win the flag this year he might like the idea of the challenege of rebuilding another club.

3. Dean Laidley - Like his no nonsense attitude and he's proven to get good results with weaker lists then ours.

4. Peter German - Really rate his work in the VFL, first of all with Casey and now with Williamstown. Not affraid to give an old fashioned spray either.

5. Mark Neeld - From all reports probably the best of the assistants going around, not sure if he's the type of person that will immediatly demand the players respect however which I think we need.

6. Brenton Sanderson - Had great results at Geelong and knows what it takes to go from a talented list to a dominat list.

7. Brett Lovett - Apparently a brilliant tactical coach. Had some fantastic results with a Frankston list a few years ago with no money and no resources, they were a kick away from playing in a prelim final and have never been the same since he left. In his first year as coach of Sandringham now with some mixed results.

Edit: By the way CK you can tell Timmy Walsh I said hi!

Edited by Tall Defence

Neeld or Sanderson for mine. both come from winning cultures. Just depends what style of footy we wish to play...

Neeld will impliment the defensive press and Romals triangular attacing formation (or whatever mick called it).

Sanderson will bring the uncompromising Geelong bash & crash, along with a focus on skill and team predictability (everyone knows what their team mate will do next)

Laidly as senior assistant, great tactition and said he would love another oppertunity with a club that had the finance to support the football department, Melb is well on the way to this.

i would like to see Scott West stay, but the new coach will appoint their assistants.

This is of course assuming Malthouse's word is final. which it porobly is.

Edited by Steve13

Can't believe anyone calling for a VFL coach to step into the head coach gig.

There is a chasm between the 2 leagues.

I'd much prefer one of the assistants from the 2 most dominant teams of the last 5 years.

And if they can earn the respect of the players in those teams, they'll have no trouble with ours.

Oh, and the last VFL coach to be made a head coach in the AFL..?

Matthew Knights.

God help us.

Can't believe anyone calling for a VFL coach to step into the head coach gig.

There is a chasm between the 2 leagues.

I'd much prefer one of the assistants from the 2 most dominant teams of the last 5 years.

And if they can earn the respect of the players in those teams, they'll have no trouble with ours.

Oh, and the last VFL coach to be made a head coach in the AFL..?

Matthew Knights.

God help us.

After the AFL, VFL is clearly the next best comp going around and experience there shouldn't be any less relevant to coaching anywhere else unless as a senior coach at AFL level. Gavin Brown's been mentioned as a possible candidate who was coaching Collingwood's VFL team last year and Jade Rawlings and Shane Woewodin who are assistants at Brisbane were coaching in the VFL and WAFL last year.

Bottom line is I don't care if our coach next year is Ron Barassi or the current head coach of Frankston Bombers Under 12's as long as it's the right person for the job!

Guest The Tweed Pig

1. No - We dont need another assistant Coach - Note Daniher & Bailey

2. Yes - I don't think Rocket is the correct bloke. Experianced premiership success as a Head Coach is non negotiable

I'm all for Malthouse, but if he won't come and Clarkson won't shift then who ? Forget Roos and Matthews.

You're also overlooking the fact that 6 of the last 7 flags have been won by untried coaches.

You'd assume Old Man Rivers is blissfully unaware that Clarkson, Roos, Choco Williams, Mark Thompson, and Worsfold were all assistant coaches before taking the reigns of their first team, which they all went on to coach to a premiership.

So blissfully ignorant.

Whoever it is the MFC needs to be able to afford to spend on assitant coaches along with the head coach.

If we get an assistant as our head coach then we must make sure he is surrounded by the very best assistants around. Forget about availability, if there's someone out there we want we should do what we have to to get him.

We should have extra money to spend if we do get a current assistant.

Edited by Pates