Potential Coaches

Bingo

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope the club don't fall into the trap of "we need an experienced/finishing coach" to propel the list into the top 4. Fact is we need a hard, uncompromising coach regardless of whether he has coached senior footy before.

I don't want to see us settling for an Eade or Laidley just because they have senior experience. As someone said don't try to fit a square peg in a round hole. We need to be selecting a coach on his own merits regardless of his pedigree or resume.

Guest The Tweed Pig

They are perfect as assistant coaches, but once they become a head coach their influence is diluted because they are managing a much larger group.

Their strength in development comes from spending a lot of hours one-on-one teaching players - I'm not sure a head coach has the time for all that.

Not all, but just about every senior coach has developed through the ranks as an assistant. It's a matter of picking the right one.

Also, while I was an advocate of Bailey finishing up at year's end, I don't consider his tenure a failure. He's developed the group over 4 years and I'm sure he's done some very good things. The list should be in good shape to move forward. Because Bailey wasn't the right man to take the group forward doesn't mean that someone like McCartney won't be.

Until clarkson signs we have a good chance. He played at there demons.viney was his assistant during the 08. We have a great list. Melbourne need to spend some cash. At worst we can drive the price up on the hawks

DD we do not have a "great list".

We have some promising kids.

Hardly any senior players who are better than average.

Our list is average.

If it was great we would not get beaten every other week by 10+ goal margins.

Lots of coaches have coached at AFL level. When people say they want an "experienced coach", what they actually want is an "experienced [and successful] coach". What they don't mean is a guy who has already had two shots at it and failed dismally both times.

Next someone will suggest we hire Terry Wallace.

Rodney Eade falls into this category as well Nasher.

Outside of Clarkson and Malthouse what other experienced and successful coaches are there available?

I'd rather see us go with a coach who is coming from a currently successful club with a good culture than try and manufacture an "experienced coach" who not been successful

One from left field - Denis Pagan?

Has an impeccable record of coaching young teams (7 premierships for North (2 senior and 5 under 19s).

Might be a little too old at 63, but has the experience and the tactical knowledge, coupled with the fact he's still involed in the TAC.

Not all, but just about every senior coach has developed through the ranks as an assistant. It's a matter of picking the right one.

Also, while I was an advocate of Bailey finishing up at year's end, I don't consider his tenure a failure. He's developed the group over 4 years and I'm sure he's done some very good things. The list should be in good shape to move forward. Because Bailey wasn't the right man to take the group forward doesn't mean that someone like McCartney won't be.

After my thinking aloud, I've taken on board what you say and I completely agree with this post. ^^^

Guest The Tweed Pig

After my thinking aloud, I've taken on board what you say and I completely agree with this post. ^^^

And you may be right about Hinkley, Neeld and Sanderson. The club will no doubt have an open mind about another untried coach purely because the likely scenario is that we'll be appointing one.

I'm very lukewarm on Laidley, Eade and Choco Williams (unlikely anyway, imho).

I don't think we have a realistic chance of Malthouse, Roos, Bomber Thompson or Al Clarkson.

Matthews, Pagan, Blight, Walls, etc, etc are well past it.

That leaves highly rated assistants.

Hinkley, Neeld and Sanderson have all been very highly rated, involved with successful programs (Collingwood & Geelong), and all have been in AFL coaching for long enough to be ready to embark on a senior gig.

Out of the 3, I think Neeld on the surface looks to be more the type of coach we need.

I favour Hinkley and Neeld because I have a few mates that have played for both and I hear exceptional things (about both).

Out of those 2, I think I'd favour Hinkley, purely because I think he'd have a wider range of AFL contacts, and I think that's important when selecting a coaching staff, as he'll likely have to do.

He'd also give us the inside track on recruiting GC Suns kids looking to return to Victoria.

I'm obsessed with us acquiring either Prestia or Caddy.

Sanderson looks good, and I've had limited experience in his presence, but I just dont get a vibe off him like the other 2.

Doesn't have quite the presence, imo.

Leon Cameron, hasn't been involved in an ultimately successful program, to my knowledge.

Adam Simpson has been named as a bolter, but I don't buy it.

Scott Burns has potential, but I don't think he's been in the coaching caper long enough.

Guys like Alan Richardson, Gavin Brown, Brendan McCartney all seem to me that they are career assistants.

That's my take.

Matthews is only a few months ,and a few flags ahead of Malthouse .If we could get the greatest of all time I'd be happy to let him coach from a deck chair .(Both are 59)

Edited by Captain Jack Jordan

Matthews is only a few months ,and a few flags ahead of Malthouse .If we could get the greatest of all time I'd be happy to let him coach from a deck chair .(Both are 59)

Heard that Lethal has said if he was 4 years younger he'd have a crack at coaching us.

Wonder if we could get him for 2 years with a Neeld or Sanderson as senior assistant with a succession plan.

I've gone full circle and I've come back to Malthouse.

We need someone with the gravitas to say "this is how it is" and buck no revolt. He's current. He will pay for himself in increased participation from sponsors and members. He'll attract capable assistants and fitness staff. I don't particularly like him - "rapist", "cheat" and his self-serving TFS performance - but I don't have to like him.

Will he come to us?

He's 50 games/3 seasons from the McHale's all-time games coaching record. After this year he should be on 4 flags with Reynolds, Parkin, Matthews, Barassi, Hafey, Sheedy, Jeans - he'd love to go one ahead of that bunch. Only McHale (7), Smith (6), Hughes (5) and Worrall (5) ahead of him. I reckon he wants to coach again.

It'll have to be with a Victorian club - he's not going interstate. It'll have to be in the next 2 years - and he has to look at what jobs will come available. He has said that he wont be coaching in 2012 but if it's going to be 2013 there has to be a job.

Geelong - Scott will be there

Hawthorn - Clarkson will be renewed this year

Carlton - Ratten will be renewed this year

St.Kilda - Lyon is a good chance to be re-contracted and it's impossible to see him going there with the Milne history anyway

Essendon - Hird

That leaves 4 teams:

2012:

MFC - looking for a coach now

The Dogs - Eade will leave this year and they will be looking for a coach

There's no guarantee there'll be a vacancy in 2013, maybe:

North - Scott looks good but if they don't progress anything could happen

Richmond - Hardwick same as Scott

Footscray and Richmond probably hold a romantic attraction.

Edited by old55

I love Malthouse.

I'd donate half my wage to see him at MFC next year.

He has the experience and runs on the board to pull rank and not take any sh%t from anyone that tries to interfere with what he is doing, and to put them in their place (although that might not always be such a good thing!).

I'm not sure the assistants-in-waiting would necessarily have the same unwavering strength and faith in what they were doing when things get really tough, having not been there before.

I just don't hold out too much hope of attaining him.

I think it's a long shot.

Hinkley, Neeld and Sanderson (and probably McCartney) jump out at me as the likely types.

I'd favour Hinkley, as I said before.

Can't link it here on my iPhone, but if you search "Ken Hinkley" in youtube, the very first video is pretty impressive.

That's him in the 3/4 speech of the grand final against my old team.

I know all AFL assistant coaches should theoretically be able to give inspiring sermons just the same, but I'm not sure it's that way in reality.

Hinkley is a leader of men.

Not exactly considering this likely, probable or a viable option, but has Peter German's name been raised? His name was floating about when the North job was up for grabs I think (before Scott got it). Our old Casey coach of course and highly rated I believe. Certainly a 'senior', 'successful' and 'experienced' coach and loves a good spray based on me wandering onto Casey fields at quarter time.

Just a thought. discuss...

Not exactly considering this likely, probable or a viable option, but has Peter German's name been raised? His name was floating about when the North job was up for grabs I think (before Scott got it). Our old Casey coach of course and highly rated I believe. Certainly a 'senior', 'successful' and 'experienced' coach and loves a good spray based on me wandering onto Casey fields at quarter time.

Just a thought. discuss...

He has just guided Willy to win the Foxtel Cup.

So i do not think he is a dill.

However left Casey because he thought the MFC were a bunch of amateurs.

Not sure he would be interested after the events of this year.

He has just guided Willy to win the Foxtel Cup.

So i do not think he is a dill.

However left Casey because he thought the MFC were a bunch of amateurs.

Not sure he would be interested after the events of this year.

He left Casey because we didn't allow MFC players to play with Casey in the finals IIRC. The result, a very weak Casey team that bowed out. Personally, I thought it was poor form by MFC in the first year of the 'partnership'. So, off he went. Can't blame him

He left Casey because we didn't allow MFC players to play with Casey in the finals IIRC. The result, a very weak Casey team that bowed out. Personally, I thought it was poor form by MFC in the first year of the 'partnership'. So, off he went. Can't blame him

True and correct

Would he now be interested who knows, time heals all wounds

or does it?

I think if we want one of the top guys, we need to tidy up behind the scenes first - something that G. Lyon will hopefully sort.

I'd like to see us get Roos in, with his mate Brett Kirk as number 2 to start a Melbourne dynasty.

I realise that all the big boys are saying not interested, but that's all par for the course at this stage, I reckon. But we do need to sort out our basket case backroom first.

Heard that Lethal has said if he was 4 years younger he'd have a crack at coaching us.

Wonder if we could get him for 2 years with a Neeld or Sanderson as senior assistant with a succession plan.

Dreamteam.

Is this the job application I'm praying for...

Good article by Matthews. Be hard to get the theme past many posters on here. Only old fashioned people who know nothing about football in the modern era believe players, in particular, determine a games results.

We could all find names of coaches in history whom were swept to grand final glory by a great team, but we would find it hard to name the coaches whom could deliver a premiership with a [censored] collection of players. I find it difficult to acknowledge that a coach alone makes 22 players great.

Today's 'manager of coaches', or head coach, must cop it in the neck if the team is unsuccessful. What does he really do but oversight the management of the FD and agreed gameplan/s anyway. Does he actually execute these things? No, he oversights them.

This is why I disagree with paying the future of the MFC to a bloke like Malthouse.