Tom Scully

But you have to remember that since the introduction of the draft, the whole concept of loyalty went out of the window; that is something that can only be built up over time unless the draftee is fortunate enough to go to the club they have followed as a kid.

Furthermore, of the players you list, only Martin is of the same "vintage" as Scully - all of the others have been with their respective clubs for a long period of time and have had the chance to plant their roots firmly in the club culture (that is, have developed a sense of belonging and loyalty).

Hartack, again with respect. Since the introduction of the draft in the 80s, there's been a long list of players to have demonstrated incredible loyalty. I disagree that it went out the window at that time - it's really only now that it's being challenged in a way that we haven't seen before, and for some people with old fashiioned values like me, it's quite confronting.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest hangon007

Dustin Martin signed.

shhhhhhhhhhh ... Dont tell that to RPFC ... he thinks we can get him or GWS will get him. :wacko:

Edited by hangon007

god..who could afford a Sherrin as a kid..lol

LyrebIrd if you were lucky.. A Ross Faulkner if all your Christmasses came at once. Many a placky ball in the school yard. Maybe some of todays ought to train with a placky...if you can kick those straight you can kick anything straight !! lol

sorry I digress

( bit of light relief ) :)

:lol: good post

Hartack, again with respect. Since the introduction of the draft in the 80s, there's been a long list of players to have demonstrated incredible loyalty. I disagree that it went out the window at that time - it's really only now that it's being challenged in a way that we haven't seen before, and for some people with old fashiioned values like me, it's quite confronting.

How would we describe it...its gone up a notch or two hasnt it !

The other differeing aspect is right now you have the absolute heavy handedness of the AFL in its determination to lift two teams of the dirt in new climes. Here we have a nuiscance meddling aspect that wasnt there before.

Its VERY different now.

I thought we were going to move past the "lied to" meme?

Guys Range Rover has been banned for a week for again raising the issue of Scully's honesty.

TBH I'm sick of having to read the endless postings on this topic to "moderate" people who are well aware of the requests of Demonland's owners and to ensure common courtesy is shown.

Please observe the rules and if you see someone who doesn't observe them report them to a mod so we don't have to go through page after page of this topic.

Thanks

Fan

Guest hangon007

How would we describe it...its gone up a notch or two hasnt it !

The other differeing aspect is right now you have the absolute heavy handedness of the AFL in its determination to lift two teams of the dirt in new climes. Here we have a nuiscance meddling aspect that wasnt there before.

Its VERY different now.

Yeah but is that really the truth. "heavy handedness of the AFL" ?

"Here we have a nuiscance meddling aspect that wasnt there before." I'm not sure about that one either.

Last time I looked the Laws of the game (being the introduction of 2 new teams) were the same for all clubs. Whats the alternative ... to have another Brisbane Bears fiasco? IMHO the second set of compensation rules where more than fair to all the clubs. Many would argue if it wasn't for our representation on the committee this whole saga could have been a lot, lot worse.

Plus the fundamental is the contract status of the player. Again same position for all clubs.

Players managers are not stupid, they have a job to do. But please point the blame in the right direction.

The AFL deliberately left the situation such that the kids were open slather. Theyve been instituting a methodology whereby GWS and GC can stack their lists by hook or by crook.

Thats heavy handiness 101

"If we die, we die for glory, not gold"

sorry, i've been watching movies again....

Let's hope it doesn't get to that point :-)

Guest hangon007

The AFL deliberately left the situation such that the kids were open slather.

So what was the alternative? Let me guess draw a line where it suits one club over another.

Change the rules part way thru the game and have a different set of rules for GC17 over GWS. Unless their is a logical reason they wont do it.

Theyve been instituting a methodology whereby GWS and GC can stack their lists by hook or by crook.

Thats heavy handiness 101

Thats just an opinion held by supporters when their club is under threat of losing a player they dont want to lose.

Guess what ... if you set them up to fail they will. We had to avoid another Brisbane Bears fiasco ... it cost one Victorian club it life. You have to think long-term not short.

Guest hangon007

which direction would that be? where do you think this is all heading? whats your opinion on all of this?

My opinion in all this is we live in a modern world that AFL football is a "business."

Sadly for the supporters of some clubs that's not something they like to hear.

The Anti-AFL sentiment ... are just one-sided opinions. The AFL as a commission do everything in their powers to be fair to ALL.

Again ... sadly a point many want to over look ... instead its a blame game ... where the public blame the umpire ... dam easy target. They dont want to accept where the real blame lies.

We as a football club we need to learn to stand on our own two feet. You earn your stripes in this business.

AFL ought to pay

Not sure if anyones noted this article yet .

An interesting idea though :) cant see it happening but hes actually got a point !~!

My opinion in all this is we live in a modern world that AFL football is a "business."

The Anti-AFL sentiment ... are just one-sided opinions. The AFL as a commission do everything in their powers to be fair to ALL.

Again ... sadly a point many want to over look ... instead its a blame game ... where the public blame the umpire ... dam easy target. They dont want to accept where the real blame lies.

We as a football club we need to learn to stand on our own two feet. You earn your stripes in this business.

It's sad that a game with as passionate a following as aussie rules, has been pushed into this enviroment(Business). Sure the game is easier to watch and more professional all round but, do we really need it to be? who do we blame, for turning it in to a business? Passionate followers? are the good days of Aussie Rules and club loyalty behind us? Should the supporters be less loyal?

Guest hangon007

AFL ought to pay

An interesting idea though :) cant see it happening but hes actually got a point !~!

Eddy is pulling your chain. Thats what the media do, pull your chain to sell advertising space.

No doubt the Carlton issue is interesting, but you probably have to understand Richard Pratt in their (Carltons) dealings.

Eddy is pulling your chain. Thats what the media do, pull your chain to sell advertising space.

No doubt the Carlton issue is interesting, but you probably have to understand Richard Pratt in their (Carltons) dealings.

couldnt care about the chain pulling...its the idea itself...its interesting

Well said 007...i agree with that. We won't ever get everything we want as a club, but we must get what we need to be strong.

I don't believe Tom has gone yet, but if he does decide to go...then the MFC must stand up for those 2 compensation picks.

So far i think the 2011 MFC Board have stood up very strong this year....united. As you say Earning stripes within the Business.

I only have one major gripe with the commission really...well 2 if you add the clash strips! But the Judd/Visy deal stinks in todays market....other than that it is a very fair workplace.

To get better we must win on the field, so the crowds come to watch, at the games or on the TV.

It's Tom or two 17 year olds. I hope its Tom, but either way is a positive.

Guest hangon007

It's sad that a game with as passionate a following as aussie rules, has been pushed into this enviroment(Business). Sure the game is easier to watch and more professional all round but, do we really need it to be? who do we blame, for turning it in to a business? Passionate followers? are the good days of Aussie Rules and club loyalty behind us? Should the supporters be less loyal?

Interesting reply ... yip go back 20-30 years all you want. The game was near broke ... ah yeah that word passion.

Mate some supporters are fickle ... couldn't see what good for them if they fell over it.

We live in 2011 deal with it. Move on grows some balls. Its a big bad world out there. Learn the laws of the streets and you will survive.

However, dont make the mistake that just because it a business we dont care ... further from the truth could never be uttered.

AFL ought to pay

Yes interesting article & i agree with parts of it, but all a little bit late Eddie, considering you started rolling the ball on this last summer.

Would have been better to say these heartfelt words back then....But thanks for the token gesture.

Guest hangon007

To get better we must win on the field, so the crowds come to watch,

No ... no ... no.

You have it all round the wrong way on this point.

Interesting reply ... yip go back 20-30 years all you want. The game was near broke ... ah yeah that word passion.

Mate some supporters are fickle ... couldn't see what good for them if they fell over it.

We live in 2011 deal with it. Move on grows some balls. Its a big bad world out there. Learn the laws of the streets and you will survive.

However, dont make the mistake that just because it a business we dont care ... further from the truth could never be uttered.

Did i hit a nerve, sorry about that.... :lol:

By the end of 1986 the VFL had no money....all it had were a city of fans and a few shabby Football grounds. I miss the old days to, but you can't expect the players to run around for $20 a game anymore.