Tom Scully

Rogue

A combination of elated, surprised, frustrated and probably a little embarrassed.

You've got a major problem understanding outcomes and consequences.

If Tom goes to GWS RPFC will be guilty of believing an MFC player and supporting the club.

If Tom signs with MFC you will be guilty of calling him a liar and doubting the club.

The stakes are high - but only for you and your like-minded colleagues.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you know what is going on with either of them?

Neither have signed, we do know that.

The report on Sylvia mentioned talks were continuing - his management haven't put off talks as far as anyone knows

Managers certainly haven't been shy about doing this in recent times

I think we'll keep both

If the offers are roughly correct then I would like to think that the gap between what we offer and GWS' offer can be made up by the following:

1) Some left-of-centre Judd-Visy type deal/arrangement or alternatively arrangements that will help him money-wise after footy.

2) The "intangible" of being a one-club player with an established traditional club, possibly being a club great and the feeling you would get from achieving success with such a traditional club with loyal fans rather than playing with a soulless club like GWS who have no history and whose success will bring joy to few people.

3) Playing footy on the MCG in front of big crowds against traditional rivals as opposed to playing in West Sydney in front of 5,000 people.

4) Staying in Melbourne, with family and friends, as opposed to moving interstate.

If the money is a $2m difference over five years, being $1m after tax, then I would think that we could 'bridge the gap' between our offer and the GWS offer through the above means.

I don't see it as an insurmountable difference at all.

I would consider it a very low act to leave a club that has invested so much in you purely for that difference in money (especially considering the non-monetary incentives in staying at Melbourne and the possible post-career monetary incentives in staying loyal to Melbourne).

In all seriousness, do you not concede that you argue a lot harder for your "side" of the argument, purely because some ego comes into the equation?

I just think a lot of your posts on this topic exaggerate well past the reasonable.

I think you're mistaking exaggeration for postulation. I argue hard because I genuinely believe what I write and have to contend with the majority of posters who don't.

It's not an ego trip. I think the whole thing is unsavoury and needlessly dragging out.

You'd be living in a bubble if you don't think this type of thing doesn't have an effect on the rest of the playing group.

You'd be living in a bubble if you don't think this type of thing doesn't have an effect on the rest of the playing group.

I think that the 'senior' players at the club have derailed the season long before (and probably after) Tom's situation will have an effect...

And I am back on that other horse that I love to ride...

If Tom goes to GWS RPFC will be guilty of believing an MFC player and supporting the club.

If Tom signs with MFC you will be guilty of calling him a liar and doubting the club.

I've never called Tom a liar. I suggest it's therefore you that has problems with being economical with the truth.

I can lend you my mirror if you like.

Edited by Range Rover

I've never called Tom a liar. I suggest it's therefore you that has problems with being economical with the truth.

You said you believe he has agreed to go to GWS, which he categorically denied in his press conference. That's calling him a liar.

Guest hangon007

As far as I understand what is going on with who met who and when, and who signed what. At the moment[ until Oct 31] Scully cant sign with anybody uther than MFC. This whole GWS thing is only if after that date they offer him a contract.

Who says they will offer him one? I wouldnt if I was them, as I have said before I dont believe they are in anyway interested in him, all smoke and mirrors. We [members] are looking at it the wrong way round, we are looking from a MFC stand point. I suggest we look at it from the GWS viewpoint.

GWS are the suns on time delay[12 months], what formed suns will form gws. They need experienced big bodies, not 20 year old future stars, and they need them now!

Sylvia, Warnock and Bate would all be a good start, cheaper, experienced and able to mix it at AFL level next year not years down the track. I am not saying those players are better than Scully might become but they are what is needed now.

Very, interesting idea. Again you just have to be sure who is pulling the strings & why they are pulling those strings.

However, I agree many around here thought from day 1 its "all about the money" .... soon we will find out.

Guest Artie Bucco

You said you believe he has agreed to go to GWS, which he categorically denied in his press conference. That's calling him a liar.

Wait for the words to now be twisted, ever so artfully...

Who cares? You talk as if you have some kind of impact on the outcome of the situation. Get your hand off it, you can't change anything, nor can anyone else that posts on here. You talk as if there is some sort of reputation that comes along with being correct or wrong about it, can't you realize how insignificant your opinion is?

Oh and by the way, the people you say get their so called "guilty pleasure" from reading you inane and repetitive posts are you and.... oh wait... i can't think of anyone else.

No, I have said that he agreed to go to GWS at some point after that press conference. Big difference.

That presser was in early March. A crapload has gone down since then, as evidenced by the aftershocks we are witnessing in the media at the moment.

Edited by Range Rover

The "news" form today changes nothing IMO

Whilst things may seem to be looking up for scully staying with the mighty Dees, its still a 50/50 scenario. He still hasnt signed to either club for next year. He will sign or he will go. If he was keen to stay on with the Dee's then he could sign for 3 mill over 5 years NOW! Alot of us have said that waiting till the end of the year would allow him to dilegently review all offers and get the best deal possible for his new contact. IMO he has 2 great deals from two clubs, what can change between now and the end of the season that may sway his decision? If there is a factor that could change his mind on staying between now and then (ie. New coach at dees etc) then he clearly isnt totally happy at the dees!If the offers are both true then waiting till the end of the year will achieve nothing IMO.

I tend to agree with Range Rover, i'll consider both outcomes as plausable until he signs either way, but theres 2 offers on the proverbial table, the decision is there for the making....

Guest hangon007

Spot on. Geez you and me might not agree on everything ... but I would happily shout you a drink.

PS I'm not quite sure RR said that. He felt he made his mind up after the press conference.

But your statement does hold true for anybody else who thought Tom was going ie Swartz, Stevens, Ralph & Damien Barrett etc.

Edited by hangon007

Who cares? You talk as if you have some kind of impact on the outcome of the situation. Get your hand off it, you can't change anything, nor can anyone else that posts on here. You talk as if there is some sort of reputation that comes along with being correct or wrong about it, can't you realize how insignificant your opinion is?

Oh and by the way, the people you say get their so called "guilty pleasure" from reading you inane and repetitive posts are you and.... oh wait... i can't think of anyone else.

Umm. None of us have any impact on any outcome on any matter we discuss here. It's a forum. A pace to opine, vent, debate, even kid around occasionally. That's about it.

And if you think I was serious about the "guilty pleasure" comment then you really need to take stock of yourself.

No-one has an ego that big ... except for perhaps Rpfc!

Edited by Range Rover

Guest Artie Bucco

Speaking of words being artfully twisted, did anyone actually listen to the audio of Luke Darcy on Triple M saying he didn't think Scully should go to GWS..?

He does a fantastic job of papering over the cracks in what his mate Eddie said when he first unleashed the Scull-to-GWS Rumour Behemoth:

Front and back page of the Herald Sun today is a story that, uh, we're familiar with here on the Hot Breakfast, Ed, mainly because, uh, you went with it, uh, a lot earlier than, uh, everyone else, that Tom Scully had fielded an offer from Greater Western Sydney and that your information was, that in all likelihood, he was going to be at Greater Western Sydney next year. ("Yep" - Eddie)

And now that has been confirmed, uh, by his manager Peter Blucher that there is an official offer from Greater Western Sydney to the, uh, in the order of around a million dollars...

Really?

Cos what Eddie said, and what you said Eddie said, and what has been confirmed are very different things, Mr. Darcy.

Nice strawman, by the way.

Umm. None of us have any impact on any outcome on any matter we discuss here. It's a forum. A pace to opine, vent, debate, even kid around occasionally. That's about it.

And if you think I was serious about the "guilty pleasure" comment then you really need to take stock of yourself.

Somewhere there is a man with a tranquilizer gun, and a big net looking for you

Edited by Deelirium

Guest hangon007

The "news" form today changes nothing IMO

Yes & No. We have advanced in the timeline. Now he has to decide if he wants to take the money and run .... you would think GWS will have a time limit on the offer.

Guest hangon007

Personally, I hear exactly what you are saying ... if I was going to have a drink with old55 you are more than welcome.

IMHO you have put your point very well. Ultimately, you might be right GWS offer is just too good for Tom to refuse. Interestingly, any ex-AFL player I have spoke with agrees with you.

PS I also personally accept you never call Tom a "liar"

No, I have said that he agreed to go to GWS at some point after that press conference. Big difference.

That presser was in early March. A crapload has gone down since then, as evidenced by the aftershocks we are witnessing in the media at the moment.

Interesting view here ...

Posted 04 March 2011 - 01:03 PM

"The jungle drums are beating heavily that Tom Scully has already signed with GWS... It's a done deal. My source is impeccable etc"

Eddie McGuire, if he ever had any at all, now has less than zero credibility. The extent to which he was prepared to lie and spread rumour about this shows just how worried he is about Swan and Pendlebury flying the coup at Filthland.

Tom Scully Press conference 4 March

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/i-havent-spoken-to-gws-melbourne-star-tom-scully/story-e6frf9jf-1226015805893

Apparently "A crapload has gone down" between 4 March and 14 April?

Posted 14 April 2011 - 02:44 PM

In "Scully Out for Another ... now ... back to Six Weeks"

Curry & Beer, on 14 April 2011 - 02:32 PM, said:

"Yes it does, unfortunately

I have a very bad feeling he's gone"

So do I.

Guest hangon007

rpfc getting the final word in

Bit rough ... if anybody in the whole debate has fully (110%) backed Tom its been RPFC. I can never have a go at him for that.

Ultimately surely we all want RPFC to be right. (NOW I never thought I would say that either .. B))